Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/7/2024 9:59 pm  #26

Re: Buckie Thistle Vs Utd - Tuesday 23/7/34

Finn Seemann wrote:

Gallagher nowhere near good enough based on this

Looked to me like he was stretching his groin again, wouldn't be surprised if he is out injured again in a few weeks.

23/7/2024 10:00 pm  #27

The most winnable cup, and yet again we treat it like bounce games/pre-season friendlies.

Yes, stats will say we're massively unlikely to win it, but ffs make sure you're at least in the fucking hat.

A few positions needing addressed, and a player willing to take a dip from 20+ yards would be nice.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

23/7/2024 10:07 pm  #28

Potentially finishing below Ayr and Falkirk, sackable offence.

23/7/2024 10:23 pm  #29

Feel like there’s a still a lot of movement in this squad to be done. Watt Middleton Grimshaw have obviously been told there binned, were badly needing a number 9, a RWB , a centre half and most importantly a defensive midfielder- fuchs get on the blower to him

Never watched tonight but, I honestly feel we are 3 or 4 away from having a decent team for the prem, however Goodwin built a decent team with Aberdeen but couldn’t get a tune out of them, jury is still out on him.

Wonder if he will still be here in jan 🤔

23/7/2024 10:54 pm  #30

Four centre backs in our line up and we concede 2 goals from corners.

23/7/2024 11:08 pm  #31

Fucking shambles,Goodwin is clueless.  Too fucking annoyed to comment further tbh.

Last edited by Arabdownsouth (23/7/2024 11:08 pm)

23/7/2024 11:58 pm  #32

Which team were the Highland League team ?

Corner count Buckie 6 v 3 United
3  or 4 in that starting 11 just ain't going to cut it in Premier.
Amongst other problem areas, Sibbald (who is a Premier League mid table player - when he's off he's game we look shit.
Gallacher looks one o they players who Goodwin will stubbornly stick with, provides absolutely no go forward.
As per Snacks above back 3, cumbersome going back, at least Graham chances hes arm and willing to try a long diagonal.
Can we no get the boy McClelland back.

A worry.

24/7/2024 12:15 am  #33

Snacks94 wrote:

Four centre backs in our line up and we concede 2 goals from corners.

And this is a massive worry for me as to the recruitment side of things going forward.

Five of our seven signings thus far are defensive players.

It's now looking like he will make at least another 3 defensive signings (RWB, CH, DCM).

How far does the budget stretch? Not far i'd imagine. Meanwhile we are also desperate for a RW, and not one but TWO Strikers. One has to have pace (a real lack of pace throughout the team). As Moult has been very poor all pre-season and Watt looks finished. MacLeod also imminently leaving.

I fear him hanging his coat on this formation is leaving the recruitment lopsided once again.

Not looking forward to the Derby one bit.

24/7/2024 12:19 am  #34

That goal from the corner is pathetic. Utterly pathetic.

Holt should be mortified getting beaten in the air so easily. Keeper doesn't cover himself in glory either for me.

A dominant Keeper comes and takes that cross or at least comes for it and puts attacker off.

Far too easy, all round.

More worrying is that they cut us wide open three or four times. And on a tight pitch. 

24/7/2024 7:54 am  #35

It's all very Private Fraser on here. A few below par performances so far no doubt.
However it's still July the league hasn't even started but we're going down, sack Goodwin. There appears to be a panic about losing the Derby, we've lost many derbies before and we will lose more in the future. Stay calm.

10th for me would be an acceptable season  in the first year back in the top league

24/7/2024 8:01 am  #36

I haven't seen this place so downcast and pessimistic since the days leading up to Raith Rovers home in the latter part of last season when we were roundly tipped to lose comfortably and people were talking of betting on Raith.

Last night we scored four good goals and a debatable penalty. We conceded one poor goal and one penalty that should never have been given. The new signings, specifically the attacking ones, have been very good so far and we know there are more signings imminent.

The derby will be a completely different game to anything we've seen so far this season, I for one can't wait.

24/7/2024 8:05 am  #37

Stillliving wrote:

It's all very Private Fraser on here. A few below par performances so far no doubt.
However it's still July the league hasn't even started but we're going down, sack Goodwin. There appears to be a panic about losing the Derby, we've lost many derbies before and we will lose more in the future. Stay calm.

10th for me would be an acceptable season  in the first year back in the top league

If you want to sit back and accept mediocrity that's fine,some of us don't though.

24/7/2024 8:06 am  #38

AlwaysUnited wrote:

I haven't seen this place so downcast and pessimistic since the days leading up to Raith Rovers home in the latter part of last season when we were roundly tipped to lose comfortably and people were talking of betting on Raith.

Last night we scored four good goals and a debatable penalty. We conceded one poor goal and one penalty that should never have been given. The new signings, specifically the attacking ones, have been very good so far and we know there are more signings imminent.

The derby will be a completely different game to anything we've seen so far this season, I for one can't wait.

Same as I said to the other guy.

24/7/2024 8:20 am  #39

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

If you want to sit back and accept mediocrity that's fine,some of us don't though.

It's not about acceptance it's about positivity.
It's easy to be glass half empty about life but I prefer to be glass half full.
It makes for a happier day.

24/7/2024 8:57 am  #40

As predicted end of last season, some people have decided they don’t want Goodwin no matter what. As soon as we have a few questionable results the knives are out.

The results aren’t good enough so far in a cup I don’t care about. I get posters who do, but I don’t. I also think there are a fair few posters online on all the forums who just like to complain at everything and everyone. 

Recruitment so far, and overall looks pretty good to me. Defence is a worry. GP is reliable if unspectacular. Would rather have a known quantity. We miss Docherty massively.

Our biggest problem for me is Moult. Never got the love in for him. I think our slide in form last year after a third of the season coincided massively with him losing form that I don’t think he has ever recovered. He should have scored way more goals than he did last year. I think DonkeyGraham would have had over 30 playing for us last year and I don’t rate him either. A club of our size should have at least 3 senior strikers.

Also think we have a fair bit of business left to do. We were all happy we got some deals done early. If rumours of Watt, Middleton and Grimshaw are true it is fair bet we will look to replace them and I assume that is a fair amount on wages we would be saving, so could expect decent quality replacements on paper if we can shift, especially Watt.

24/7/2024 9:06 am  #41

Stillliving wrote:

10th for me would be an acceptable season in the first year back in the top league

10th totally unacceptable.
We are Dundee United
10th realistic - that's another matter.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (24/7/2024 9:07 am)

24/7/2024 9:11 am  #42

Stillliving wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

It's not about acceptance it's about positivity.
It's easy to be glass half empty about life but I prefer to be glass half full.
It makes for a happier day.

I'm not talking about life,I'm talking about piss poor displays from a  team that means a lot to me. I can separate life from football but that doesn't mean I'm willing to sit back and wait for this team to be relegated again. Massive improvement required and I do not think Goodwin is the man to make it happen.

24/7/2024 9:51 am  #43

I'd be delighted to finish tenth as long as we are building something.  I just don't see what style Goodwin is attempting to have us play.  I think formation is the only strategy that he thinks he needs.  That might be fine if we have good players, but we don't.  The goal from open play conceded last night just shouldn't have been conceded by a decent defence and even although the pitch was poor, we didn't look like a team who could competently pass the ball...!

I'm very concerned about midfield.  I think the Macedonians look good going forward but the engine room is not there.  I like Sibbald, but truth is he is a good Championship player but an average top league player.  I don't get the love-in for Docherty.  For a start he's not reliable enough and that is the biggest concern, but he hasn't been tested week in week out against top league players.  I don't think he'll cope.

The defence is a shambles.  Ferry looks a player, but I worry he has the positional sense of a Behich (i.e. doesn't defend as well as going forward).  For me Gallagher is finished at this level.  He wasn't any good last year.  Holt is a Championship player at best. Graham is a decent player but needs a better player alongside him and I don't think putting three sub-par CHs on the park is going to wash in the top league.  It's got Keystone Cops all over it.

Moult is finished at this level.  He just doesn't have the acceleration to make a difference.  He probably thinks a good game, but the mind is unfortunately now several steps ahead of the body.  Watt has always been shit and Middleton just seems to have lost anything he had before.  I like the look of Forbes, but the laddie isn't going to be a starter next season.  Fotheringham and Thomson are going to need pitch time to improve but don't think they are going to get that much.  

All that said, I have to commend the management for realising that we needed a total refresh.  If we are bringing in a striker and another next week and if we can bring in another couple if we move on Watt, Middleton and Grimshaw then we just might achieve survival or even better.  I still don't think Goodwin is the man to build us back.  My fear, as someone said before, is that he has built a team that isn't at all bad, but that he can't get a tune out of them.

Whilst the Derby isn't the be all and end all, a comfortable win for the Dees is going to put all the pressure on what is far from a cohesive unit.

24/7/2024 12:18 pm  #44

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

I'm not having a go at you specifically but this phrase boils my piss. Jim is by far one of the finest scottish managers of all time and what he did for our club is probably the biggest input from any individual in the past or going forward. However, jim was manager in a very different time. Jim was also, if you listen to stories from those around him, a tortured soul. He wouldn't be a manager in this day and age (it's another discussion as to whether  the current generation of footballers are spoiled/too soft etc)

United are where they are. Football is different. Money talks and no matter how much we want the team to win every game - it's not going to happen. It's not going to be lack of effort. It'll be from lack of money. Straight off the bat, we have lower home gates than rangers celtic aberd een hearts and hibs. So, in reality, we have the 6th biggest crowd to give us sales at the shop, tickets, hospitality etc. Then consider dundee, killie, motherwell etc have all played in the Premier last season...so have prize money way in advance of ours. That's a long way of saying our budget is likely 10th or 11th in the league and we are still transitioning out of some big contracts (watt, middleton) who don't offer value for money.

I think we have to be realistic in our expectations for the season. If we get this upset after a win, there's going to be no joy in it for us this season....

Am I delighted with last night? Absolutely not. Am I upset? Equally no

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

24/7/2024 12:52 pm  #45

Tangy wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

10th for me would be an acceptable season in the first year back in the top league

I'm not having a go at you specifically but this phrase boils my piss. Jim is by far one of the finest scottish managers of all time and what he did for our club is probably the biggest input from any individual in the past or going forward. However, jim was manager in a very different time. Jim was also, if you listen to stories from those around him, a tortured soul. He wouldn't be a manager in this day and age (it's another discussion as to whether the current generation of footballers are spoiled/too soft etc)

United are where they are. Football is different. Money talks and no matter how much we want the team to win every game - it's not going to happen. It's not going to be lack of effort. It'll be from lack of money. Straight off the bat, we have lower home gates than rangers celtic aberd een hearts and hibs. So, in reality, we have the 6th biggest crowd to give us sales at the shop, tickets, hospitality etc. Then consider dundee, killie, motherwell etc have all played in the Premier last season...so have prize money way in advance of ours. That's a long way of saying our budget is likely 10th or 11th in the league and we are still transitioning out of some big contracts (watt, middleton) who don't offer value for money.

I think we have to be realistic in our expectations for the season. If we get this upset after a win, there's going to be no joy in it for us this season....

I agree we need to be realistic with expectations.  I realistically thought we'd get out of a group with Ayr and Falkirk.  Failing to do so does upset me, especially when I am not convinced that the manager knows how to get the best out of a group and ensure that we win important games against lesser opposition.  Realism also says that 10th come May would be a success and realistically with the budget we have somewhere between 6th and 10th should be possible.  Dundee are where they are because their manager knows what he is doing...

24/7/2024 1:33 pm  #46

Wasn’t at the game and didn’t watch it but from reading the posts in here can anyone really say we have progressed as a football team since this time last year?
We still can’t put a 90 minute performance together. The we play better when Docherty is in the team “ fact “ has never been proved in the premier league. We are conceding cheap goals and our strikers are not scoring goals. We have signed better players than we had but is that enough?

24/7/2024 1:42 pm  #47

I'm waiting to see how we deal with the other teams in the Premiership before passing judgement.

We all knew that this tournament appeared to be treated with a bit of contempt last season, so why would we think it would be treated any other way this season?  I don't agree with that, for the record.

I'm disappointed with the loss to Falkirk and more so that we managed to lose a couple of goals to Buckie.

I think too many players have been given the benefit of the doubt when assessing their suitability for the top league, but I hope those players prove me wrong.  Some parts of the team are not up to the required standard, IMO, but they might just start to perform when it matters (he says optimistically).

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

24/7/2024 2:58 pm  #48

The pace was pretty slow last night. I wonder if players are trying to avoid early season injury. (Like the lad Strain). Kevin holt didn't look too clever last night though.

Moult still has something to give but didn't cover himself in glory. Middleton is the same.

I think our signings have been pretty good this season so far. It'll take time to get rid of players who aren't up to standard. We can't just punt them - we need teams to take them on and carry their wage expectations.

Onwards and upwards. Hopefully the Dutch lad is good and if the boy from Airdrie is going to cover strain, I'm pretty chuffed.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

24/7/2024 4:10 pm  #49

Tangy wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

I'm not having a go at you specifically but this phrase boils my piss. Jim is by far one of the finest scottish managers of all time and what he did for our club is probably the biggest input from any individual in the past or going forward. However, jim was manager in a very different time. Jim was also, if you listen to stories from those around him, a tortured soul. He wouldn't be a manager in this day and age (it's another discussion as to whether  the current generation of footballers are spoiled/too soft etc)

I didn't bring Jim into anything, so I'm confused by that really. I'm using my own words. Last night we were playing a virtual pub team and were way way short of good enough in my opinion. Yes the new signings look an improvement generally, but we still have a manager who really can't get a tune out of his squad,and we are now about to pumped out of another cup at the first hurdle under him. Each to their own of course,but im not happy to accept those kind of performances.

24/7/2024 5:21 pm  #50

On the back of mediocrity being mentioned and tied to a McLen quote.

Had a long winded post typed our re Wee Jum, that totally praised his achievements and all he done, but also looked into how often his teams bottled it/fell short.

Maybe that's for another day, what he achieved with us will never be bettered. The game has moved on to a place we can't compete at.

But his legacy should've been much, much more.

Last edited by David_Blunkett (24/7/2024 5:21 pm)

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

Board footera