Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/4/2024 12:59 pm  #51

Re: Morton vs Utd - Friday 12th April

Mortal blow on Morton. Like the last twa gehms, was hoping for a win, but this surpassed expectations.

SWMBO was on a night oot, so spent the nicht on the lonesome, but it was still a Carlsberg Friday night, even tho it was Tennents Eh was downing.

It would be great if the grit and determination shown last night esp. in the 1st half, woulda been seen mair in recent weeks, we mighta had it wrapped up beh now. We coulda been miles awa. However we are where we are.

As fir Raith, heres hoping that Thistle are a thorn in thir side. Mathematically, if Raith drap points later, we only need 1 mair win to clinch the title, hopefully against Ayry fairy next week.

MOTM for me Tony Watt.

13/4/2024 2:34 pm  #52

Another great result. Hope today’s results go our way. Would be good to get it sown up next Saturday at Tannadice.

13/4/2024 5:05 pm  #53

If we win the league next Saturday will we get the trophy then or would they wait until the Thistle game to hand it out?

13/4/2024 5:14 pm  #54

Arabdownsouth wrote:

If we win the league next Saturday will we get the trophy then or would they wait until the Thistle game to hand it out?

Friday night on tv last game handover, i'd bet.

One win from 3 and it's done.

Fancy ICT to win on Fiday and we win it without kicking a ball.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

13/4/2024 6:06 pm  #55

Superb win last night, we absolutely bossed it from start until finish. What a wee minky club and set of fans Morton up, girfuy.

6pts clear now, we’re almost there.

13/4/2024 7:26 pm  #56

All round great performance last night , it cranked up the pressure on Rovers and they cracked as most of us thought.

Goodwin again got the tactics and the team selection correct. I am sure anyone who was there will testify that it was as testing of conditions, oppenents and environment as this squad who wear our jersey will come up against.

Moult, Watt, Docherty (again), McMann and Midleton were in my opinion the star performers.

That lot deserve to go down, they are the dirtiest side I've ever watched us play against, everything about them, lots of stuff off the ball that those watching on TV probably won't pick up. The recovery that boy Quitongo made once he realised he wasn't getting a foul was remarkable 🤣.

Think we discussed it earlier in this thread but I shake my head at times thinking why anyone would think that playing in those conditions would suit a Mochrie or Meekieson, everything was late, every header had an elbow, those boys would disappear.

A clear run in now to enjoy the rest of the campaign and enjoy a title winning United side, the squad and management team deserve huge credit for returning us to the top flight at the first attempt, considering the shit show they inherited.

For me looking ahead,once we get next week by, we should be pushing to get the Chairman out. The fault for last season stops with him.

14/4/2024 3:28 am  #57

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Think we discussed it earlier in this thread but I shake my head at times thinking why anyone would think that playing in those conditions would suit a Mochrie or Meekieson, everything was late, every header had an elbow, those boys would disappear.

I didn't see anyone say start them. No-one.

But when we are 4 up, and the game is completely over, best to bring on Tillson?

Or bring on a young guy and see if he handles this type of match? 

14/4/2024 7:38 am  #58

Yep. We all want our young guys to get a chance and give them experience of this kind of game when it is already won. Bringing on such a poor loan signing baffles me. If our manager really does rate those young guys below Tilson in ability and potential they should be binned now.

Anyway. Another brilliant away win and performance against a nasty team.

I like Goodwin and want him to stay. We only need to look at our own recent history to see how other managers faired with a big budget in the championship. Some of the football has been terrible, but over the whole season we have been the best team by a distance.

However - it was Dunfermline away for me - a lot of the away fans have turned on him. It was toxic that night. Even from 5 mins in. Our away support in particular is brilliant for a club our size. So once they turn on him I think it is over . Even if he makes it to next season the knives will be out quickly once we have a few bad results.

14/4/2024 8:07 am  #59

I’m not sure it’s a case of the knives being out but simply many of the fans are unsure h is the man to lead us forward. It does look highly likely that he has achieved his no 1 target but with the highest budget in the league surely that is the basic minimum to expect. Has the team progressed from the start of the season , I’m not sure. Have we got to this point playing good football, for me no. I agree we can’t keep changing managers every season but I can’t make up my mind as to whether he deserves a chance in the premier league.

14/4/2024 10:40 am  #60

Tek wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

But when we are 4 up, and the game is completely over, best to bring on Tillson?

I get 100% what you are saying and what I can't understand is that you can't see what is so obvious, those boys  and as tough/hard as it sounds wont make it.

It not there, they don't have it.

At 4-1, again he done the right thing. It wasn't a mad panic, we comfortably seen the game out and left that shithole with three points.

Looking forward though,let's just enjoy the next few weeks, we have certainly earned it.

14/4/2024 10:45 am  #61

BMT wrote:

I’m not sure it’s a case of the knives being out but simply many of the fans are unsure h is the man to lead us forward. It does look highly likely that he has achieved his no 1 target but with the highest budget in the league surely that is the basic minimum to expect. Has the team progressed from the start of the season , I’m not sure. Have we got to this point playing good football, for me no. I agree we can’t keep changing managers every season but I can’t make up my mind as to whether he deserves a chance in the premier league.

How can we not progress after Spartans 😉

I agree on the changing managers every season point but I dont care about the style, I just want us to win.

I think he is off anyway when all is done at the end of the season and I cant blame him.

14/4/2024 11:14 am  #62

CCX2 2010 wrote:

BMT wrote:

How can we not progress after Spartans 😉

I agree on the changing managers every season point but I dont care about the style, I just want us to win.

I think he is off anyway when all is done at the end of the season and I cant blame him.

That’s fair enough but for me I’d much rather see us battering teams and winning 4-0 than sit through the “ tippy tappy pish “ and scraping a 1-0.
You could be right about him being off but can’t see him getting a better job than the one he has.

14/4/2024 11:37 am  #63

Simplest synopsis is match their Friday result on Saturday & it's all over Raith Rover.
Which means if they lose on Friday all we got to do is lose on Saturday to win the league
Would be strange winning it sitting on the settee on Friday night.

Btw Craig Sibbald is one who is Prem ready.

14/4/2024 7:10 pm  #64

CCX2 2010 wrote:

I get 100% what you are saying and what I can't understand is that you can't see what is so obvious, those boys and as tough/hard as it sounds wont make it.

Somebody like Rory MacLeod could have came on for Moult. Give him some much needed minutes in the first team on a rare occasion there is no panic, because we know the match is won.

Surely you haven't written him off already? He's barely had a chance.

We learn nothing by bringing on Tillson, and he actually doesn't aid us in anyway either.

14/4/2024 7:53 pm  #65

Tek wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

I get 100% what you are saying and what I can't understand is that you can't see what is so obvious, those boys and as tough/hard as it sounds wont make it.

Somebody like Rory MacLeod could have came on for Moult. Give him some much needed minutes in the first team on a rare occasion there is no panic, because we know the match is won.

We learn nothing by bringing on Tillson, and he actually doesn't aid us in anyway either.

As much as I disagree with Tillson coming on,and am no fan of Goodwin,  it's possible (think someone mentioned it earlier somewhere too) that Goodwin possibly felt the younger lads were probably not robust enough to be pitted against that shower of dirty horrible bastards.

Last edited by Arabdownsouth (14/4/2024 7:53 pm)

14/4/2024 8:05 pm  #66

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

As much as I disagree with Tillson coming on,and am no fan of Goodwin, it's possible (think someone mentioned it earlier somewhere too) that Goodwin possibly felt the younger lads were probably not robust enough to be pitted against that shower of dirty horrible bastards.

Actually felt Tillson coming on was the right move, but was surprised it was for Moult. Just after they scored there was a bit of momentum going their way and I thought if they got another quick one back it would see a bit of mental collapse from us. Was sort of glad to see a Tillson come on just to break things up and turn it scrappy rather than let them get a proper foothold.

It made the game a non-event afterwards but think it was probably merited at the time when you see what Meekison, Mochrie have offered in the past, I think Goodwin was probably just about justified in turning to Tillson given what was at stake.

FWIW I reckon Goodwin will definitely stay beyond this year. All well and good saying "Biggest budget, it's expected" but ourselves, Rangers, and perhaps Hibs to a lesser extent have all learned in recent years that budget doesn't always mean success in this league. His recruitment has got us up first time, even if the performances have been less than spectacular for the majority.

14/4/2024 8:38 pm  #67

Tek wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

No I think young Rory does have a chance and from what I have seen he has a bit about him.

I think his chance is coming in the next three games but it must be earned.

What we learned by bringing on Tilson was that he closed shop in the middlenof the park, another man in the middle and the game was finished as a contest.

I agree with you about his playing ability but you can't fault his workrate, application and in general his hunger to get wired in. That imo was what was required when they got a goal back.

In my 30 odd years of watching us mate, that lot were the dirtiest mob we have come up against. To have 103 bookings and only two red cards tells you everything, off the ball elbows, stamping. I hope they go down.

14/4/2024 8:43 pm  #68

Morphman wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

As much as I disagree with Tillson coming on,and am no fan of Goodwin, it's possible (think someone mentioned it earlier somewhere too) that Goodwin possibly felt the younger lads were probably not robust enough to be pitted against that shower of dirty horrible bastards.

Actually felt Tillson coming on was the right move, but was surprised it was for Moult. Just after they scored there was a bit of momentum going their way and I thought if they got another quick one back it would see a bit of mental collapse from us. Was sort of glad to see a Tillson come on just to break things up and turn it scrappy rather than let them get a proper foothold.

It made the game a non-event afterwards but think it was probably merited at the time when you see what Meekison, Mochrie have offered in the past, I think Goodwin was probably just about justified in turning to Tillson given what was at stake.

FWIW I reckon Goodwin will definitely stay beyond this year. All well and good saying "Biggest budget, it's expected" but ourselves, Rangers, and perhaps Hibs to a lesser extent have all learned in recent years that budget doesn't always mean success in this league. His recruitment has got us up first time, even if the performances have been less than spectacular for the majority.

I agree with everything you have said there.

My fear is that the daily travel to Dundee from Glasgow and in general a lack of connection with a large section of the support might just have him walking out the door.

Behind the scenes,we are a complete shambles, nothing in place for scouting etc and players will have been identified by him for next season. In a close season which will have a lot of ins and outs some stability in the managers seat would help.

15/4/2024 5:44 pm  #69

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Tek wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

At 4-1, again he done the right thing. It wasn't a mad panic, we comfortably seen the game out and left that shithole with three points.

Looking forward though,let's just enjoy the next few weeks, we have certainly earned it.

When you are 4-1 up, away from home, and the league is as tight as it is, you want the last 20 minutes to be as uneventful as possible.The fact is that the league hasn't been won yet, and too many times I've seen United throw it all away when in better positions than this (I'm talking more about cups than league races, but still ....). I've got no problem with making the safest, most boring decisions that are going to kill the game as a spectacle, to ensure we get the result. I don't think bringing on the likes of Mochrie, Meekison or McLeod is a "risk" as such, but it could leave us slightly more exposed than bringing on a midfield clogger like Tilson. 4-2 up with 15 minutes to go and suddenly the game isn't done and dusted. It also has nothing to do with a lack of trust in the younger players - it's about horses for courses. You wouldn't be 2-1 up against Celtic at Parkhead with 15 to go and replace Billy Kirkwood with Graeme Payne.
I expect to see more of these younger lads (and less of Tilson) when or if we get to being 6 ahead with 2 games left.

15/4/2024 10:44 pm  #70

Canadian Arab wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Tek wrote:

When you are 4-1 up, away from home, and the league is as tight as it is, you want the last 20 minutes to be as uneventful as possible.The fact is that the league hasn't been won yet, and too many times I've seen United throw it all away when in better positions than this (I'm talking more about cups than league races, but still ....). I've got no problem with making the safest, most boring decisions that are going to kill the game as a spectacle, to ensure we get the result. I don't think bringing on the likes of Mochrie, Meekison or McLeod is a "risk" as such, but it could leave us slightly more exposed than bringing on a midfield clogger like Tilson. 4-2 up with 15 minutes to go and suddenly the game isn't done and dusted. It also has nothing to do with a lack of trust in the younger players - it's about horses for courses. You wouldn't be 2-1 up against Celtic at Parkhead with 15 to go and replace Billy Kirkwood with Graeme Payne.
I expect to see more of these younger lads (and less of Tilson) when or if we get to being 6 ahead with 2 games left.

Agree.

I'd go further
I wondered at playing Grimshaw as a preference to an in form Miller Thompson ? To me the answer being obvious, that you'd put on a big solid ham of a player on a shitey night at shithole place like Cappielow. He's well suited to and familiar with the place. I'm no fan of rotation for it's own sake, but bottom line was a win after that getting on bus home with no injuries. Hence Grimshaw.
Goodwin's apparent fondness for Tillson I feel reflects his recognition that squad remains thin. Short term we get promotion next year adios Tillson, Mochrie, Meekison. Only slight concern is that Goodwin brings on Tillson at 2 v 1 up v Ayr (touchwood) and he fucks up.
 - - - - - - - - - - - - -  -
Two other things to add on Cappielow:
Honorable mention away support.
Same, young Kai who's reallly getting stuck in about in past 2 or 3 games.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (15/4/2024 10:45 pm)

16/4/2024 12:47 am  #71

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Agree.

I'd go further
I wondered at playing Grimshaw as a preference to an in form Miller Thompson ? To me the answer being obvious, that you'd put on a big solid ham of a player on a shitey night at shithole place like Cappielow. He's well suited to and familiar with the place. I'm no fan of rotation for it's own sake, but bottom line was a win after that getting on bus home with no injuries. Hence Grimshaw.
Goodwin's apparent fondness for Tillson I feel reflects his recognition that squad remains thin. Short term we get promotion next year adios Tillson, Mochrie, Meekison. Only slight concern is that Goodwin brings on Tillson at 2 v 1 up v Ayr (touchwood) and he fucks up.

If Miller Thomson had played, they would have targeted him. Not because he's weak or can't handle a rougher game, but because he's young and is easier to rile up. They would have been looking to make him react to their off-the-ball shite and take a red for retaliation. Case in point, Kai, who got himself involved in front of their bench after taking a late elbow and was lucky to escape with a warning. Playing Grimshaw in that game was absolutely the right decision, even if my heart stopped once or twice when he got turned like a fish supper.

Pretty sure "turned like a fish supper" is not the phrase I'm looking for. Pretty sure it's not even a phrase. But you know what I mean.

16/4/2024 1:35 am  #72

Canadian Arab wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Agree.

I'd go further

If Miller Thomson had played, they would have targeted him. Not because he's weak or can't handle a rougher game, but because he's young and is easier to rile up. They would have been looking to make him react to their off-the-ball shite and take a red for retaliation. Case in point, Kai, who got himself involved in front of their bench after taking a late elbow and was lucky to escape with a warning. Playing Grimshaw in that game was absolutely the right decision, even if my heart stopped once or twice when he got turned like a fish supper.

Pretty sure "turned like a fish supper" is not the phrase I'm looking for. Pretty sure it's not even a phrase. But you know what I mean.

Can't disagree with any of that indeed I would have hated for anybody to cop a ban when we're two lengths ahead (touchwood) going down finishing straight.     Thought the worst one in that game was when one of they dirty bastards trod on Moults calf.

..... turned like a steak on the barbie ?

16/4/2024 8:47 am  #73

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Canadian Arab wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Agree.

I'd go further

Maybe Tilson was the right sub for Morton i suppose but id always be in favour of bringing on a player to keep the ball than one to run about chasing people down.
Bit Harse on Mochrie and Meekison there, Mochrie has only just turned 21 last week and Meekison is still young too.
I'd give them another year, ironically the prem might actually be better for them as less hoof ball in that league.

Board footera