Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/4/2024 8:12 pm  #26

Re: Morton vs Utd - Friday 12th April

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Why am I not as concerned about Friday as I was last Saturday?

I think the way Morton play and set their team up and added to our recent success over them it's something I hope our lads will relish.

They will be playing their 3 game in six days, the boy that holds the world record for throw ins is out, Kirk Broadfoot should be playing, I am reasonably relaxed about this one.

Much more comfortable that the two young ins at the back will be focused on Oakley and will be able to deal with him.

Both our wide players have returned to early season form, Kia in particular was very good albeit against QP last week and hopefully Middleton will overcome that wee knock he picked up.

Wootherspoon is a decent option from the bench, but if called upon we really need to see more from Cudjoe. The wee guy looked lost last week.

Only decision for me is- Will Jim be tempted to play Tilson to combat some of their hatchet men in the middle? he could drop Kia and play Watt out on the left again where he had their full back on toast.

We will have a large support through again, who encourage the team on to hopefully a 7 point gap at the top.

If he puts Tillson back into that team he deserves everything he fucking gets. Same team as the last two games barring any injuries and let's play like lions not fucking lambs.

10/4/2024 9:27 pm  #27

That's exactly my thinking @Arabdownsouth, two games come to mind, Inverness away and Morton away.

Both of those matches Tilson showed up very well. I watched the Inverness game on the TV but went through to Greenock and he more than played his part that night. He has limited footballing ability but a wee darling lamb he certainly ain't, his tackle at the end of the Raith 2 nil match was a throw back. It was absolutely marvellous the way he took out raith players, ballboys, advertising hoardings- the fuckin lot.

I wouldn't change it but could understand the logic of putting Tilson in there, also putting Watt on the BNB that plays right back for them, he gave that lad a really difficult night.

11/4/2024 4:26 pm  #28

Good to see the guys managed a training session at Tannadice this morning on the grass.

11/4/2024 4:48 pm  #29

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Good to see the guys managed a training session at Tannadice this morning on the grass.

🤣🤣

11/4/2024 9:24 pm  #30

Same team as last 2. Spoony off the bench if he is fit.

Tilson and Grieve should never play for us again. They are both terrible, worse than our young players and better not be here next season. All of us on this forum would try hard and run about lots of we played for United.

11/4/2024 10:01 pm  #31

Slotbadger wrote:

Tilson and Grieve should never play for us again. They are both terrible, worse than our young players and better not be here next season. All of us on this forum would try hard and run about lots of we played for United.

I agree about Grieve and going by today's press conference I think Grieve might have kicked his last ball for United.

On the Tilson point you make, football ain't all unicorns and rainbows, sometimes you really need to dig in a do the ugly things. Tilson offers that.

On our books we have Mochrie, Meekinson and Glass, all of them have talent ,skill and a fair bit of ability but for them to move to the next level, they need to add that dig.

Seen a stat today Morton have received 99 yellow cards this year and only 2 reds, Raith are next in the crimecount league on 64 yellows, 35 more than the next side in our league 😮.  That tells you what sort tomorrow will be, they are quite simply a team of dirty bastards but very clever at it.

3 points are all that matter tomorrow.

Last edited by CCX2 2010 (11/4/2024 10:14 pm)

12/4/2024 10:12 am  #32

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Slotbadger wrote:

I agree about Grieve and going by today's press conference I think Grieve might have kicked his last ball for United.

On the Tilson point you make, football ain't all unicorns and rainbows, sometimes you really need to dig in a do the ugly things. Tilson offers that.

On our books we have Mochrie, Meekinson and Glass, all of them have talent ,skill and a fair bit of ability but for them to move to the next level, they need to add that dig.

Seen a stat today Morton have received 99 yellow cards this year and only 2 reds, Raith are next in the crimecount league on 64 yellows, 35 more than the next side in our league 😮. That tells you what sort tomorrow will be, they are quite simply a team of dirty bastards but very clever at it.

3 points are all that matter tomorrow.

Yeah Grieve prob out for the rest of the season. .
Glass already toid to go, remains to be been seen if Mochrie and Meekison get new contracts, Mochrie is a year younger but has played many more Senior first team games maybe that will influence things

12/4/2024 10:25 am  #33

dufc2019 wrote:

Yeah Grieve prob out for the rest of the season. .
Glass already toid to go, remains to be been seen if Mochrie and Meekison get new contracts, Mochrie is a year younger but has played many more Senior first team games maybe that will influence things

I don't understand how Glass has lasted this long without being told to find a new club.

I wouldn't offer either Mochrie or Meekison a new contract.  Both are too lightweight and don't have any dig about them.  I can't see either being able to learn that part of the game.  Neither are the type of player to take the game by the scruff of the neck to try and change things.

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

12/4/2024 2:04 pm  #34

I've said before I genuinely don't think I'd offer anyone a new contract.

Maybe, Ross Graham. But would still like to see how he performs over the next 4 games.

12/4/2024 2:28 pm  #35

I'd offer Ross Graham and Louis Moult a new contract.

Jury is out on the others.

12/4/2024 2:38 pm  #36

a lot of the players you would want rid of are on for another year

12/4/2024 2:57 pm  #37

Miller Thomson is out of contract, I’d definitely offer him a contract.

12/4/2024 2:59 pm  #38

Snacks94 wrote:

Didn't realise he was out of contract too.  I'd agree with you.

12/4/2024 3:25 pm  #39

Let's just hope that we have at least offered him a contract to avoid a repeat of the Lewis Neilson debacle.

12/4/2024 4:38 pm  #40

Tek wrote:

I've said before I genuinely don't think I'd offer anyone a new contract.

Agreed. This would give us the chance to bring in a real squad.

12/4/2024 5:10 pm  #41

Snacks94 wrote:

dropped tonight

12/4/2024 11:24 pm  #42

Great win, can pick the bones out it later in the weekend.

That lot are a shower of dirty bastards.

12/4/2024 11:46 pm  #43

You can see the goals here.

Warning - this video contains some footage of the home support, which some viewers may find distressing

Last edited by Tek (12/4/2024 11:57 pm)

13/4/2024 12:09 am  #44

Good performance and win.

Thought we rolled our sleeves up again and got stuck in, which is great to see. Our superior quality then assured us of a fairly comfortable victory.

A bit like last week the game was won after an hour and the subsequent substitutes made, then kill off the game completely and it fizzles out.

A small moan on the night but again i can't for the life of me understand why he brings Tillson on first when we are 4 up. Bring on a kid like Thomson, MacLeod, Mochrie or even Wotherspoon (see if he offers anything). Not to pick-on the guy (genuinely) but he offers nothing. I watched him carefully again, and even the supposed things he is supposed to be good at (winning tackles) he done none of. And just completely non-existent on the ball. Think he touched the ball twice.

Anyway, that is a small criticism on the night, but it worries me that Goodwin will offer him a contract, as he seems to be his 'go to' guy.

On the positives -

Fantastic header from Ross Docherty. Didn't know he had that type of goal in him. We are a far better side when he is beside Sibbald. Next season will be interesting to see if he can make the step-up though, as he's never played top flight football and is now 30. Time will tell on that.

Ross Graham - Been absolutely outstanding since his return. I wasn't sure about offering him a new deal but he is winning me round on that. He has came on night and day in the past month and is finally looking like the player we thought he could have been when he first broke through under Tam Courts.

Tony Watt - Not always been my favourite. The past month though he has shown real leadership qualities and has been pivotal to Utd turning this round and now looking like strong favourites for the title. Not sure what he will offer next season, as he has struggled at Premiership level for us, but if he leaves in the Summer (don't think he will btw) at least he has played his part in probably getting us out of the Championship and somewhat rectified his broken reputation amongst Utd fans. His goal tonight was quality and he was dogged in winning that chance and converting it clinically.

13/4/2024 12:31 am  #45

Tek wrote:

Good performance and win.

Thought we rolled our sleeves up again and got stuck in, which is great to see. Our superior quality then assured us of a fairly comfortable victory.

A bit like last week the game was won after an hour and the subsequent substitutes made, then kill off the game completely and it fizzles out.

A small moan on the night but again i can't for the life of me understand why he brings Tillson on first when we are 4 up. Bring on a kid like Thomson, MacLeod, Mochrie or even Wotherspoon (see if he offers anything). Not to pick-on the guy (genuinely) but he offers nothing. I watched him carefully again, and even the supposed things he is supposed to be good at (winning tackles) he done none of. And just completely non-existent on the ball. Think he touched the ball twice.

Anyway, that is a small criticism on the night, but it worries me that Goodwin will offer him a contract, as he seems to be his 'go to' guy.

On the positives -

Fantastic header from Ross Docherty. Didn't know he had that type of goal in him. We are a far better side when he is beside Sibbald. Next season will be interesting to see if he can make the step-up though, as he's never played top flight football and is now 30. Time will tell on that.

Ross Graham - Been absolutely outstanding since his return. I wasn't sure about offering him a new deal but he is winning me round on that. He has came on night and day in the past month and is finally looking like the player we thought he could have been when he first broke through under Tam Courts.

Tony Watt - Not always been my favourite. The past month though he has shown real leadership qualities and has been pivotal to Utd turning this round and now looking like strong favourites for the title. Not sure what he will offer next season, as he has struggled at Premiership level for us, but if he leaves in the Summer (don't think he will btw) at least he has played his part in probably getting us out of the Championship and somewhat rectified his broken reputation amongst Utd fans. His goal tonight was quality and he was dogged in winning that chance and converting it clinically.

Can't disagree with any of that.

13/4/2024 10:01 am  #46

The last three games have shown than we should've had the dilemma of whether to go to a title party or spend valentines evening with the lady.

We're by far the best team in this league and it's almost like a switch has been flicked, there's no reason we couldn't have played this way all season.

Maybe a lack of belief from the manager after Aberdeen and the late season collapse? Who knows but it's shown you can play a pressing style, with some good entertaining football instead of a sideways boring passfest.

Special mention for Middleton last night, he got loads of balls into the box, looked to take his man on every time and never let his head go down, took his goal well.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

13/4/2024 10:22 am  #47

David_Blunkett wrote:

The last three games have shown than we should've had the dilemma of whether to go to a title party or spend valentines evening with the lady.

We're by far the best team in this league and it's almost like a switch has been flicked, there's no reason we couldn't have played this way all season.

Maybe a lack of belief from the manager after Aberdeen and the late season collapse? Who knows but it's shown you can play a pressing style, with some good entertaining football instead of a sideways boring passfest.

Special mention for Middleton last night, he got loads of balls into the box, looked to take his man on every time and never let his head go down, took his goal well.

I think the manager wanted us to be a possession based team playing a variation of 4-3-3,  4-2-3-1  but his limitation is he he couldn't get it to work an thats on him.

So he went to the long ball % stuff we are doing at the moment. Wont work in the Top league and he will be binned by october.

13/4/2024 11:11 am  #48

Great performance and result again, so glad we've finally ditched the side-to-side, playing out from the back.

13/4/2024 11:58 am  #49

I’m reluctant to heap too much praise on Watt as he’s frustrated me so many time in a United shirt - mainly because we all know what he is capable of.  However in the last 3 games his performances, work rate and leadership have been excellent and he has played a huge role in getting us to this position we find ourselves in.  Previously I’d have been all for letting him go in the summer but on the last 3 performances he would be an asset in the premier league.

Of the starting 11 last night I’d definitely keep Docherty, Sibbald and Fotheringham.  Wouldn’t be against keeping the two centre halves, keeper, Watt and Moult but not necessarily as starters.

13/4/2024 12:34 pm  #50

A very timely return to form and its clear to see the confidence in some players. Middleton & Fotheringham in particular.
However its still far too early to start talking about when & where the title will be won.
At the moment this appears unlikely but by the next time we play the lead may only be one point.

Board footera