Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/3/2024 2:02 am  #1

UTD vs ICT - Saturday 23rd March

A must win game, otherwise the fans will really turn on Goodwin.

Surely Wotherspoon will be fit enough for this weekend? If he is i'd have him on my bench ahead of Meekison.

What XI and formation would you play this weekend?

My team - 442

...........................Walton.................
Grimshaw.....Graham....Holt....McMann
Fotheringham...Docherty...Sibbald...Middleton
.......................Moult....Watt.........

Subs - Newman, Gallagher, McLellan, Tillson, Mochrie
           Cudjoe, Meekison, Grieve, Thomson

20/3/2024 9:56 am  #2

Re: UTD vs ICT - Saturday 23rd March

I don't know how I'll react if we dinna win this. Nothing less now. If it's no a good win for Goodwin, then it'll be goodbye.

20/3/2024 10:13 am  #3

If we don't win this game then it tells you all you need to know about the managers tactics, ability and confidence in  himself and his players during MUST WIN games.

It will also teel you about the players mindset and their desire to win.

I'd line up with -

Walton

Thomson
Gallacher
Holt
McMann

Docherty
Sibbald

Fotheringham
Wotherspoon (if match fit)
Watt

Moult

No room for experimenting or tweaking for the rest of this season.  Get a strong 11 out there and let Inverness worry about how we set up and play instead of us concerning ourselves about them.

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

20/3/2024 12:23 pm  #4

Macho Man wrote:

If we don't win this game then it tells you all you need to know about the managers tactics, ability and confidence in  himself and his players during MUST WIN games.

It will also teel you about the players mindset and their desire to win.

I'd line up with -

Walton

Thomson
Gallacher
Holt
McMann

Docherty
Sibbald

Fotheringham
Wotherspoon (if match fit)
Watt

Moult

No room for experimenting or tweaking for the rest of this season.  Get a strong 11 out there and let Inverness worry about how we set up and play instead of us concerning ourselves about them.

This for me apart from Miller instead of Kai and Liam in at right back.

21/3/2024 12:07 am  #5

Tek wrote:

Surely Wotherspoon will be fit enough for this weekend? 

Goodwin quoted in the Daily Record, below. 

United will have a near full squad although David Wotherspoon won’t make Saturday’s clash with his former team. Goodwin confirmed: “David is the only one who will be missing. He shouldn’t be too far away and we hope he will be back sooner rather than later.”

Unreal, doesn't even seem certain that he will be back for the Raith game.

21/3/2024 2:20 am  #6

Tek wrote:

Tek wrote:

United will have a near full squad although David Wotherspoon won’t make Saturday’s clash with his former team. Goodwin confirmed: “David is the only one who will be missing. He shouldn’t be too far away and we hope he will be back sooner rather than later.”

Another serial crock on the books. Are the folk that check the fitness of new signings the same people who run the live streams on match days?

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

21/3/2024 4:25 am  #7

japanarab wrote:

Tek wrote:

Tek wrote:

Another serial crock on the books. Are the folk that check the fitness of new signings the same people who run the live streams on match days?

Was always likely to be out more than in,more money down the drain.

21/3/2024 3:46 pm  #8

4-4-2     I recon

Watt with either Moult or Grieve up front

21/3/2024 7:53 pm  #9

Tek wrote:

Tek wrote:

United will have a near full squad although David Wotherspoon won’t make Saturday’s clash with his former team. Goodwin confirmed: “David is the only one who will be missing. He shouldn’t be too far away and we hope he will be back sooner rather than later"

= a fortnight, minimum

21/3/2024 9:36 pm  #10

I've no idea where to start after last Friday.

Do you swap Gallagher for Graham, young lad must have chapped the gaffers door on Monday morning.

Others had an off night however Grieve and Tilson were really bad, really really bad.

Surely Kia and Middleton start with Docherty and Sibbald in the middle.

But as others say, just win, that's all that matters.

22/3/2024 10:00 am  #11

I’d definitely drop Gallagher and Graham would get the nod. I’d like to see a team without Watt and Middleton but I don’t think that’s possible given the lack of depth. All a bit depressing

22/3/2024 1:49 pm  #12

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Do you swap Gallagher for Graham, young lad must have chapped the gaffers door on Monday morning.

Others had an off night however Grieve and Tilson were really bad, really really bad.

I find it hard to understand why he is starting Grieve tomorrow apart from 45 mins against Arbroath (when we were 2 up anyway) he has done nothing in a united shirt. We will effectively be starting with 10 men.

22/3/2024 3:03 pm  #13

dufc2019 wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

I find it hard to understand why he is starting Grieve tomorrow apart from 45 mins against Arbroath (when we were 2 up anyway) he has done nothing in a united shirt. We will effectively be starting with 10 men.

My only thinking is that Goodwin thinks he will come on with a run of games.

That said, not the likes of Rabbitch and Henri Anier have I seen someone struggle to get the ball under control. It was a real difficult watch last week seeing him take three or four touches to do the basics.

He did do well against Arbroath but even at my age I would still have fancied my chances up against that defence.

Hopefully McMann has recovered in time, his worst game of the season last week but he is one guy that has a little credit in the bank this season.

22/3/2024 3:11 pm  #14

Finn Seemann wrote:

I’d definitely drop Gallagher and Graham would get the nod. I’d like to see a team without Watt and Middleton but I don’t think that’s possible given the lack of depth. All a bit depressing

A  wee chance tomorrow to try and get back in the saddle Finn.

Good news is that we might only have another 7 games to go.

I agree about Watt, he does make an impact coming off the bench but can't see Goodwin dropping him.

22/3/2024 7:10 pm  #15

Gallagher like a good view others had a shocker last Friday. However for the majority of the season he has been commanding at the back.
He is a level above Graham.
ICT and particular their forward line would be delighted if Graham starts before Gallagher.

23/3/2024 6:42 pm  #16

What happens from now on nobody can say Jim is the man to lead us on . If that first half showing  was the team putting out a statement after last week’s shit show then he needs to do the right thing and go as it’s hard to imagine that any of the back room staff could do any worse.

23/3/2024 7:36 pm  #17

Promoted or not, he needs to go. Serial bottler.

We've started doing what we did last season gifting goals in the first 15mins of games. I cannot believe how bad we are at the moment.

Last edited by Rick Dagless (23/3/2024 7:37 pm)

23/3/2024 8:16 pm  #18

He's made an absolute cunt of this job, in every single way.

Including recruitment (don't buy this myth that his recruitment has been good at all).

Not signing a Left back because he was relaxed about Kevin Holt being able to play there. Then today doesn't play him, instead playing a right sided winger there. Now Holt is injured and our only LB options are Miller Thomson and Glenn Middleton. I mean, c'mon to fuck.

Right Back a similar mess.

No-one in midfield who can boss a game.

No different type of Striker. Were crying out for a target man. Instead he signs Grieve who imo is a League Two level player.

A total mess.

23/3/2024 8:35 pm  #19

Tek wrote:

Including recruitment (don't buy this myth that his recruitment has been good at all).

Not signing a Left back because he was relaxed about Kevin Holt being able to play there. Then today doesn't play him, instead playing a right sided winger there. Now Holt is injured and our only LB options are Miller Thomson and Glenn Middleton. I mean, c'mon to fuck.

No different type of Striker. Were crying out for a target man. Instead he signs Grieve who imo is a League Two level player.

A total mess.

There is a limit to our budget in the championship mate, as much as it would be great to have two players challenging for every position the budget I guess won't stretch that far.

We have in my opinion the two best midfielders in the league who dominate the midfield.  You could probably count in one hand the amount of games we have lost in the middle of the park (Raith home and Dunfermline away).

Disagree also about a target man being the priority,  the priority was Pace, unfortunately we have just signed pace but forgot about footballing ability.

Today was about as frustrated I've been at a game for a long time, so many players had an off day. That was meant to be a response to last week, simply not good enough.

So many poor touches, stray passes, struggling at times even kick the ball, and finishing of the lowest quality.

It's the first time this season I've thought we ain't going up, there was absolutely nothing about us today, no shape or an intent to how we're trying to score against a very poor side.

23/3/2024 9:16 pm  #20

The 1st half was basically 45 mins oe frustration we the odd glimmer of hope. A new level of nonsense. Shite defending fir their goal. Watt missin a gift oe a goal, we somedy on his left. Holts haeder. Docherty's effort.

We were better the 2nd half, but just no good enough. We nearly by had it, a good few nearies. Grieves haeder. Watt and Fothery our the bar.

Moult shoulda been on fae the start. He caused them baather when he came on. Can only give praise to him fir his wonder goal.

But its no the 1st time this Season weve seen the opposition Keeper miles aff hes line, and wished 1 oe oor players would give it a go, Countless times.

Its winner takes all next week. with a performance of the Grapes of Raith. I think Goodwin would be better aff directing it on stage.

Here's what Goodwin has to say about it.

https://youtu.be/YHtGziu77rM?si=0KPwE-6A1zOHS5bf

Last edited by Billy_Hainey (23/3/2024 9:30 pm)

24/3/2024 12:08 am  #21

Tek wrote:

A total mess.

100% this. 

24/3/2024 1:56 am  #22

Four points from the two home games would've be an acceptible-ish return, but fuck me, a piss poor goal to give away, then amatuerish finishing, particularly Watt and Graham sees us is a bit of sticky situation.

Worse case scenario we win v ICT and Raith becomes a must not lose, now it's a must win to retain any advantage.

If we played with the same intensity every game that we did with the last 40 today, we'd be home and hosed, the league would be done.

Fuck your tippy-tappy pish, fuck your possession football and i'd happily do jail time for the next cunt that mentions XG to me unless they are taking the piss.

Last edited by David_Blunkett (24/3/2024 2:16 am)

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

24/3/2024 2:35 am  #23

Tek wrote:

A total mess.

We are an absolute disgrace, Goodwin 10000% to go to tonight, these performances are a fucking disgrace. Get someone in like Duncan for the last 6 games than this fucking idiot

24/3/2024 3:08 am  #24

CCX2 2010 wrote:

There is a limit to our budget in the championship mate, as much as it would be great to have two players challenging for every position the budget I guess won't stretch that far.

We have in my opinion the two best midfielders in the league who dominate the midfield. You could probably count in one hand the amount of games we have lost in the middle of the park (Raith home and Dunfermline away).

Disagree also about a target man being the priority, the priority was Pace, unfortunately we have just signed pace but forgot about footballing ability.

There is a limit to our budget, yes you are correct.

Yet he's signed two players (one in each window) who haven't played ONE MINUTE in the league (Ollie Denham and Sam Mclleland).

So, please let's not use the excuse of limited funds.

On the midfield. Sibbald and Docherty are reasonably good players at this level but i stand by my point that neither really boss a game. None of our midfielders do actually. And their goal returns are shocking.

Docherty - 2 league goals
Sibbald - 2 league goals

It's nowhere near enough really, and our supporters are kidding themselves on if they think that is anywhere near good enough.

On the forwards. Yes, we needed pace, agreed. But we also needed a big target man that would allow us to play a different way and hit the ball long and bring others into play with his knock downs etc.

We only play one way and we have long since been sussed out.

One dimensional, Jim Goodwin.

24/3/2024 9:12 am  #25

You are watching a different midfield to the two guys I watch, granted they are not Billy McKinlay or Barry Robson but what do you expect,  we are in the championship.  The two guys pick up the MOM award almost every week.

Also I get that we are all frustrated but we don't only play one way,  that's not correct.

Yesterday for example, we tried down the sides,  through the middle, and a more direct approach.  Nobody that was there yesterday or at Cappilow can say any different.

Our finishing is what's killing us up top and schoolboy stuff at the back.

Last few games

Morton- Moult and Tilson both missed easy chances. Walton dropped the ball on his goal line and we got away with it.

Arbroath- the only guy who walked off the pitch that never missed a chance was our keeper, should have been at least 6 of 7.

Dunfermline- The defending from some of senior/experienced 🤷‍♂️ these guys who were rock solid at the start of the season. The third goal was is not one that they will want to look back at too often .

That said, we missed plenty of chances in the second half , Moult again hit me in row Z when it's was easier to hit the net. Middleton was clean through as he was against twice the previous week vsArbroath. 

And finally that yesterday, Liam Grimshaw, there ain't no defending that, laughable if he wasn't wearing tangerine.

But at the other end,  Holt, Docherty,  Watt, Middleton,  Fotheringham and Moult all had very good chances and bar Moult wonder goal none of them converted their chances.

That's what killing us, not the lack of a target man or playing different systems, teams haven't sussed us out, the other teams are still shite. We are just not taking our chances and making stupid and costly mistakes at the back.

Board footera