Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/3/2024 2:35 pm  #26

Re: Morton Vs Utd - Tuesday 5th March

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Good result. Didn’t hear or see any of it so leave the criticism to others, but difficult place to go and win so well done to all.

I find it interesting that your comment is 'leave the criticism to others'.

Why not say 'leave the praise' or 'leave the feedback on the performance' to others.........  Does every performance have to be looked at negatively?

I suggest you look up a dictionary more often... "the analysis and judgement of the merits and faults of........"  The word works both ways. Unlike your perception of me, clearly....

Last edited by Finn Seemann (06/3/2024 2:40 pm)

06/3/2024 3:05 pm  #27

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Good result. Didn’t hear or see any of it so leave the criticism to others, but difficult place to go and win so well done to all.

Why not say 'leave the praise' or 'leave the feedback on the performance' to others.........  Does every performance have to be looked at negatively?

He probably meant critique.

Encouraging that Goodwin is starting to be recognised as a tactician on TEK.
Not our level yet but maybe getting nearer tactical genius.

06/3/2024 3:06 pm  #28

United Arab Emarite wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

That makes more sense.

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

06/3/2024 4:10 pm  #29

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

No, I meant criticism.

Last edited by Finn Seemann (06/3/2024 4:10 pm)

06/3/2024 4:11 pm  #30

Macho Man wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

That makes more sense.

Speaking personally...?

06/3/2024 5:37 pm  #31

Ffs can we no talk about the fitba' ?   .... Ah weel it is a discassion board.
- - - - -  - - - -
Axiom of this great great game of ours says one game game at a time - dead set true.
But just the same you can't help but look at some games as being season defining - which that one just might have been.
- Goodwin got it spot on, first of all he saw, or mebbe accepted (kicking Mochrie Meekison Cudjoe intae touch) the need for change, drilling into them the need to be physical. He was radical in change of shape moving  Tillson forward where he was chalk and cheese.   
Miller Thompson - struck the mother lode wi that laddie - he's slotting in the middle brilliantly, gets in about, creative at the same time.
Looks like he's seen the best use for Grieve who's best asset is to run round like a headless chicken keeping opposing defenders fae getting up the park in situation like this - ahead 20 mins to go. Plus he seemed to get subs just right. Moult as target man worked to a tee.

So many positives on a personal level:
- McCann 100 games last night, one of these guys doesnae always get the credit he deserves, last night a very effective winger.
- Moult who seems to have found hes mojo.
- Watt - agreed - lazy bastard - the trouble with that is the frustration of them being so utterly gifted,which makes it all the more annoying, in any case I thought the chip come cross to find Moult at back post was an absolute peach.
- Sibbald, Docherty, Holt, Gallacher: good presence, physicality, creativity.

.... Better no get too carried away because we got our noses in front this time which casts a whole different light on proceedings  .... suppose that brings us full circle to one game at a time,

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (06/3/2024 5:42 pm)

06/3/2024 5:50 pm  #32

Finn Seemann wrote:

Delighted that some people see Goodwin as a tactician.  That means I might be wrong about him.  What I don't get however is that he doesn't appear capable of removing/motivating players that aren't doing what he wants.  If a player wasn't doing what he wants, why do they invariably come back on the pitch for the second half and why are the subs pretty much always at 60 minutes.  That suggests that he either isn't upset with the non-compliers or doesn't have the balls to deal with them.  Either way not good.

As for last night, when I saw the team, that was the team I would have picked against Morton.  People shouting for Cudjoe in that game don't appear to understand the reality of Scottish football.  This was one for your most resolute and physical players to go and grind out a result.  We did that so congrats to all.  Players looked pumped at the end so maybe just maybe a bit of team spirit can get us the gap that we need.

He's a tactician in as much as he understands the game and has a number of strategies and approaches to counter and beat different types of teams. That's no more than I'd expect from a manager at United.

I agree with you regarding the motivation (or whatever the problem is - communication, possibly?) - too often the guys starting the game don't do the job they were sent out to do. I think he gives them an hour because he wants to give the game plan they have been presumably working on in training the chance to work, as plan B wasn't the preferred approach on that particular week and less time was spent on plan B in training.

He gave Mulgrew the boot at the first opportunity, along with a few others that were meant to be the spine of our team, brought in guys who are more likely to get the job done, he benched Freeman, Glass and one or two others who are probably not what our team needs, he has had Kai on the bench a lot after his form dipped, and Middleton, and Watt, and Grimshaw, and Moult, and Tillson. He has put Miller Thomson in for 4 games straight. The kick up the arse these changes have given the lads dropped seems to have had a positive effect. The keeper, the skipper, Holt, Sibbald, McMann and Gallagher are the only lads who have been guaranteed picks when fit, and I can't argue with that.

So I think he is actually making the tough decisions, as I see enough evidence of that. Unfortunately too often recently that has not translated into decent performances and wins, and I think that's why he is getting pelters. And that's fair enough, as winning games is ultimately his job, but I think some of the specific criticisms levelled against him aren't always aligned with the evidence.

In a nutshell, I think he's doing what he can with the players he has at his disposal, and I'm more tempted to look at the players when I'm wondering why performances have not been up to scratch. And I don't think the word salad he comes out with on DUTV after a poor performance will be what is said to the players behind closed doors.

All just my opinions, of course, and I could be completely wrong. But in the cold light of day I prefer to look on the positive side (if there is one) when it comes to United. God knows why, as I'm a miserable negative bastard in every other walk of life.

06/3/2024 5:52 pm  #33

Good post Shakey.

06/3/2024 6:09 pm  #34

Canadian Arab wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Delighted that some people see Goodwin as a tactician.  That means I might be wrong about him.  What I don't get however is that he doesn't appear capable of removing/motivating players that aren't doing what he wants.  If a player wasn't doing what he wants, why do they invariably come back on the pitch for the second half and why are the subs pretty much always at 60 minutes.  That suggests that he either isn't upset with the non-compliers or doesn't have the balls to deal with them.  Either way not good.

As for last night, when I saw the team, that was the team I would have picked against Morton.  People shouting for Cudjoe in that game don't appear to understand the reality of Scottish football.  This was one for your most resolute and physical players to go and grind out a result.  We did that so congrats to all.  Players looked pumped at the end so maybe just maybe a bit of team spirit can get us the gap that we need.

He's a tactician in as much as he understands the game and has a number of strategies and approaches to counter and beat different types of teams. That's no more than I'd expect from a manager at United.

I agree with you regarding the motivation (or whatever the problem is - communication, possibly?) - too often the guys starting the game don't do the job they were sent out to do. I think he gives them an hour because he wants to give the game plan they have been presumably working on in training the chance to work, as plan B wasn't the preferred approach on that particular week and less time was spent on plan B in training.

He gave Mulgrew the boot at the first opportunity, along with a few others that were meant to be the spine of our team, brought in guys who are more likely to get the job done, he benched Freeman, Glass and one or two others who are probably not what our team needs, he has had Kai on the bench a lot after his form dipped, and Middleton, and Watt, and Grimshaw, and Moult, and Tillson. He has put Miller Thomson in for 4 games straight. The kick up the arse these changes have given the lads dropped seems to have had a positive effect. The keeper, the skipper, Holt, Sibbald, McMann and Gallagher are the only lads who have been guaranteed picks when fit, and I can't argue with that.

So I think he is actually making the tough decisions, as I see enough evidence of that. Unfortunately too often recently that has not translated into decent performances and wins, and I think that's why he is getting pelters. And that's fair enough, as winning games is ultimately his job, but I think some of the specific criticisms levelled against him aren't always aligned with the evidence.

In a nutshell, I think he's doing what he can with the players he has at his disposal, and I'm more tempted to look at the players when I'm wondering why performances have not been up to scratch. And I don't think the word salad he comes out with on DUTV after a poor performance will be what is said to the players behind closed doors.

All just my opinions, of course, and I could be completely wrong. But in the cold light of day I prefer to look on the positive side (if there is one) when it comes to United. God knows why, as I'm a miserable negative bastard in every other walk of life.

You may be right CA - he has overseen some tough decisions (although moving on Mulgrew was an absolute must).  I get what you say on picking an approach for a game but I'd argue he gets that wrong just as much as he gets it right recently (all our positive results have been marginal recently).  What annoys me is the in game management (from insisting on 2 men corners to fixed substitution slots and slow methodical build up).  Savvy managers know this and have figured it out and Goodwin doesn't appear to be able to react.  That shows up in his recruitment too.  The boy McLelland seems to be a waste of a signing and Greive is clearly limited in terms of impact.  To be fair, on that front, Wetherspoon is a player but his fitness means he's not going to have the impact anyone would like and he's not anyone's answer for the top division on that basis.

That said, he should have enough to get us up.  I'd ditch him at that point.

06/3/2024 6:11 pm  #35

CCX2 2010 wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Same team for Saturday.

No chance of that in my opinion.

Goodwin picked horses for courses tonight, Saturday's challenge will be entirely different.

Wootherspoon might return on Saturday.

Would only change Wotherspoon for Tillson if he’s fit.

06/3/2024 6:39 pm  #36

RogerTheAlien wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Same team for Saturday.

Goodwin picked horses for courses tonight, Saturday's challenge will be entirely different.

It's Arbroath, I wouldn't risk Spoony for this one, get him 100% for the Dunfermline game.

06/3/2024 8:08 pm  #37

we play Arbroath, Raith have The pars and then Thistle big week coming up

06/3/2024 9:41 pm  #38

RogerTheAlien wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Same team for Saturday.

He might not merit a return RTA but I've a wee feeling that Middleton will return, both him and Moult have had great success vs Arbroath this season.

Middleton is a player we will need in the run in, hopefully a good run out against Arbraoth would be just the tonic to get him going again.

06/3/2024 10:13 pm  #39

Shedtastic wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

It's Arbroath, I wouldn't risk Spoony for this one, get him 100% for the Dunfermline game.

Very foolish to say only Arbroath, we're not good enough to take any opposition lightly

06/3/2024 10:52 pm  #40

Stillliving wrote:

Shedtastic wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Very foolish to say only Arbroath, we're not good enough to take any opposition lightly

100% correct Stillliving.

06/3/2024 11:48 pm  #41

We beat an understrength Morton and now Goodwin is getting lauded as a master tactician.

LOL.

Let's calm doon a bit and see if we can go on a bit of a run and win this league without anymore complications first lads.

07/3/2024 12:10 am  #42

Tek wrote:

We beat an understrength Morton and now Goodwin is getting lauded as a master tactician.

LOL.

Let's calm doon a bit and see if we can go on a bit of a run and win this league without anymore complications first lads.

Exactly my thinking too

07/3/2024 12:39 am  #43

Tek wrote:

LOL.

It was about as basic, technically as you could get.

4-3-3 , selected guys who wouldn't back out of a tackle and went long a bit more than normal.

That was my assessment of how we set up but I was encouraged at how the players showed the fight and desire that I was starting to doubt after Airdrie and the first half vs Partick.

07/3/2024 1:01 am  #44

Tek wrote:

LOL.

He gets stick when he gets it wrong and praise when he gets it right, no more no less, for me anyway.

He's not Pep because he realised that getting wired in last night and winning the battle was our best chance and he's not Liam Fox because he made an arse of it v Airdrie.

If he delivers his only set target,  he'll get the same respect as any manager who's delivered his goal, whether we win the league on goal difference or by 11 points.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

07/3/2024 1:15 am  #45

Tek wrote:

LOL.

You might be referring to my comments Tek. I didn't call him a master tactician (and clarified that in a subsequent post). He has a level of tactical ability that I would 100% expect our manager to have (at a minimum). A lot of guys have claimed he has zero tactical ability. I don't think that's supported by the evidence (e.g. last night, but not just last night). The truth is somewhere between zero and master tactician.

I think part of the problem is some of the players he has at his disposal don't have enough strings to their bow. He uses those players when the game in question is suited to the things they are good at, but too often things don't work out as a result of the things they're not good at. Example - Mochrie and Meekison. They absolutely have the technical ability to run the midfield alongside Sibbald against opponents who are technically inferior. He gave them the chance to do that, and they didn't take the chance, because they were found wanting in the side of the game that needs them to be physical, aggressive and tough. This IMO is why young Miller Thomson is getting starts. He has the technical ability but he also uses his strength well and doesn't back down from any challenge. He was really good yesterday.

If I put myself in Goodwin's position and look at what midfield to put out against Airdrie, who are 20 points behind us, and Docherty isn't available, it's not unreasonable to go with Meekison and Mochrie alongside Sibbald. They SHOULD be good enough to control the midfield, and if you want a line-up that's going to keep the ball away from Airdrie and make use of the huge amount of possession we should have, you're not going to put Tillson in there. He doesn't know it won't work until he tries it (and I doubt he'll try it again) but I'm not going to fault the attempt. And for me, that was a tactical decision - use players who are best-suited to play the sort of game he wants us to play against Airdrie to beat them. They didn't do what he needed them to do and they've barely had a sniff since.

Basically, I'm just countering a lot of the criticism that has come Goodwin's way recently. Does he deserve criticism based on not winning games? Yes. That's his job. Does he deserve criticism for "not having a clue" or having "zero tactical ability" or "no plan B" or whatever? I don't believe so. He knew what was needed to beat Morton and he put out a team to do that specific job. They did it, and other than a couple of wee scares, I never felt like we were in much danger of getting pegged back. The tactics required weren't masterful by any stretch, but most of our recent "head technical coaches" or whatever they call themselves wouldn't have put that team out. They would have tried to play football. And lost.

07/3/2024 1:17 am  #46

Canadian Arab wrote:

Good post Shakey.

Cheers mate !
... tbf no a patch on yours.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (07/3/2024 1:18 am)

07/3/2024 1:14 pm  #47

Current

-P27 W16 D7 L4  F51 A17  Pts 55

2019/20

-P28 W18 D5 L5 F52 A22  Pts 59

07/3/2024 2:08 pm  #48

MockChop wrote:

Current

-P27 W16 D7 L4 F51 A17 Pts 55

2019/20

-P28 W18 D5 L5 F52 A22 Pts 59

Extremely similar, especially if we win on Saturday.
Looking at our last 9 games -
- we play all other teams once (as you might expect)
- 5 at Home, 4 Away
- 6 on Saurdays, 3 on Fridays
- 3 TV games - Pars (A), Morton (A), Partick (H)
- 8 on grass, 1 on synthetic (Airdrie)
- there could be Tannadice celebration (or other) at our game v Ayr (3rd last game) or Partick (last game).
- Friday May 3rd is the last round of games for all teams with Raith being at home to Arbroath.

Fasten your seatbelt.

Board footera