Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14/2/2024 5:05 am  #26

Re: STOP THE FUKN CLOCK

Tek wrote:

See although i don't think for one minute the off-side rule will be scrapped in my lifetime.

I will say one thing.

Remember playing football as a kid, when no-one cared where anyone stood or if you played a pass forward if it was 'wrong'.

There was such a freedom in that.

We need to de-clutter our great sport, because it's becoming like American Sports, which for me are unwatchable and sterile.

I remember those days well mate, but that's actually the point I'm making. Scrapping the offside rule would reduce a multi billion pound industry to an after school kickabout. Might as well get rid of the officials and get some jumpers down as goalposts too 🤣

Obviously the loss of multi billions wouldn't affect the Scottish game too much right enough.

Also I totally echo your thoughts on American sport, can't fucking stand it. Not a fan of Americans full stop tbh

Last edited by Arabdownsouth (14/2/2024 5:07 am)

14/2/2024 9:42 am  #27

United lost 9 to Celtic, when they exploited/bent the rules on offside last season.

This wouldn't help.

I'd also look at the handball rule, no matter how accidental, if it hits your arm, no matter the position it's in, you can't score form it, yet if it hits the defender in the exact same place, then it's no pen.

That's stupid.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

14/2/2024 11:17 am  #28

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Is that what you do every time you're wrong then? Try to deride the other person? You haven't even attempted to explain your theory at all but of course you have to keep up your cleverer than everyone else image I suppose.

Here's to the next 160 years then 👍

Have more respect for yourself.  It's a debate on what rules might be changed.  Nobody is wrong, nobody is right.  You've always struggled with this concept across many United boards.  How do you want me to explain there is no offside rule?  Imagine a Bradburyesque world where the death of a butterfly results in the guy who invented offside never being born.  Does that work for you?

Here we go with the "you've got history of this" shite again. So I'm not allowed a different opinion? You started with the snarky response so maybe you could show others a little more respect yourself. I asked for an explanation of how it would work and you answered like a ten year old boy. Whilst I don't agree with Shakey, at least he explained his reasoning, unlike yourself 👍

All Shakey has done is explain what might happen if there was no offside.  To me that is pretty obvious and tactics would of course develop as they do in any sport.  Your response that an explanation was required seemed to me to intended to stymie discussion as you couldn't get your head round it.  The snarkiness (as you put it) was probably coming from a reluctance to pander to your intentional closed approach.  So still don't think reasoning as such is required as a little imagination would allow anyone to consider whether ditching offside was a bad thing or not.  I think it would be a good thing (ultimately), but as a defender (football as well as other sports) I also am an admirer of the art of a good defensive line and the teamwork that is required to make that work.  To be clear even more teamwork is required to defend without offside - hence the 360 degree comment (reasoning of sorts).

From the 'history' point, I only comment that your different opinion (which you are of course entitled to) has ended up with you falling out with people (unnecessarily) and then leaving and bad mouthing other boards.  Again you are most definitely entitled to do just whatever you want, but maybe if you are less passive aggressive you might enjoy yourself a little more!  It's only a chat on off-side - it's not life or death.  This is my last word on it with you.  I clearly just wind you up and I assume nobody else is that interested...

Last edited by Finn Seemann (14/2/2024 11:18 am)

14/2/2024 11:19 am  #29

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

See although i don't think for one minute the off-side rule will be scrapped in my lifetime.

I will say one thing.

Remember playing football as a kid, when no-one cared where anyone stood or if you played a pass forward if it was 'wrong'.

There was such a freedom in that.

We need to de-clutter our great sport, because it's becoming like American Sports, which for me are unwatchable and sterile.

I remember those days well mate, but that's actually the point I'm making. Scrapping the offside rule would reduce a multi billion pound industry to an after school kickabout. Might as well get rid of the officials and get some jumpers down as goalposts too 🤣

Obviously the loss of multi billions wouldn't affect the Scottish game too much right enough.

Also I totally echo your thoughts on American sport, can't fucking stand it. Not a fan of Americans full stop tbh

On that I can agree!!  

14/2/2024 3:11 pm  #30

Morphman wrote:

None of the above for me:

Back to 16 man squads.

3 subs a match.

Get rid of VAR: If it needs kept then only for fouls that occur two players, or two touches, before the ball ends up in the net.

Keep goal line technology.

Finally, ban cunts that keep trying to add new laws to the game. This is not the NFL.

Can I buy you several pints please?

Totally agree;  stopping the clock?  Nope; time-wasting and shit-housing is part of the game; we are not rugby or fucking shitty American Football; why do we need to sanitise everything now?

Blue cards? Seriously GTF - who are these speccy virgins coming up with this garbage, leave the game alone FFS.

14/2/2024 4:52 pm  #31

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Have more respect for yourself.  It's a debate on what rules might be changed.  Nobody is wrong, nobody is right.  You've always struggled with this concept across many United boards.  How do you want me to explain there is no offside rule?  Imagine a Bradburyesque world where the death of a butterfly results in the guy who invented offside never being born.  Does that work for you?

Here we go with the "you've got history of this" shite again. So I'm not allowed a different opinion? You started with the snarky response so maybe you could show others a little more respect yourself. I asked for an explanation of how it would work and you answered like a ten year old boy. Whilst I don't agree with Shakey, at least he explained his reasoning, unlike yourself 👍

All Shakey has done is explain what might happen if there was no offside.  To me that is pretty obvious and tactics would of course develop as they do in any sport.  Your response that an explanation was required seemed to me to intended to stymie discussion as you couldn't get your head round it.  The snarkiness (as you put it) was probably coming from a reluctance to pander to your intentional closed approach.  So still don't think reasoning as such is required as a little imagination would allow anyone to consider whether ditching offside was a bad thing or not.  I think it would be a good thing (ultimately), but as a defender (football as well as other sports) I also am an admirer of the art of a good defensive line and the teamwork that is required to make that work.  To be clear even more teamwork is required to defend without offside - hence the 360 degree comment (reasoning of sorts).

From the 'history' point, I only comment that your different opinion (which you are of course entitled to) has ended up with you falling out with people (unnecessarily) and then leaving and bad mouthing other boards.  Again you are most definitely entitled to do just whatever you want, but maybe if you are less passive aggressive you might enjoy yourself a little more!  It's only a chat on off-side - it's not life or death.  This is my last word on it with you.  I clearly just wind you up and I assume nobody else is that interested...

Waffle waffle waffle

Something else Americans can keep 👍

19/2/2024 10:09 am  #32

Not one response to stopping the clock, just a couple of wee mentions.
Maybe that's where the problem lies, it's just not in our psyche.
Try give it a bit more thought, I don't think, I know it will improve the game out of recognition. Why didn't we do it years ago.
These chunts rolling about the floor. Kiddy-on head knocks. Subbies coming on at 90 + 5. Goalies pulling their socks up before deciding to take the goal kick from the other side. Blatant time wasting. VAR checks - if ever there was an opportunity to stop the clock was this not it?
Remember a few years ago one of the many stats given was the time the ball was in play. That disappeared too & I wonder why. It was usually about 30 minutes per half, seldom more, often less.
Is there anyone who thinks it wouldn't improve the game?

Last edited by United Arab Emarite (19/2/2024 10:10 am)

19/2/2024 12:28 pm  #33

United Arab Emarite[b wrote:

]Not one response to stopping the clock, just a couple of wee mentions.[/b]
Try give it a bit more thought, I don't think, I know it will improve the game out of recognition. Why didn't we do it years ago.
These chunts rolling about the floor. Kiddy-on head knocks. Subbies coming on at 90 + 5. Goalies pulling their socks up before deciding to take the goal kick from the other side. Blatant time wasting. VAR checks - if ever there was an opportunity to stop the clock was this not it?
Remember a few years ago one of the many stats given was the time the ball was in play. That disappeared too & I wonder why. It was usually about 30 minutes per half, seldom more, often less.

I replied to it - don't want the clock stopping.  As I said in my previous post, time-wasting and shit-housing is part of football, when the opposition do it, its frustrating as anything, when your own team do it, its fucking great.   

19/2/2024 12:41 pm  #34

Agree Slateford, it's part and parcel of the game, VAR is sanitising football, we need some element of gamesmanship etc...

Take Friday for example, the Hamilton challenge....

On another day or another ref maybe they give a red, (we've seen how VAR operates) but he didn't, it fired up the crowd, got them going, gave them fresh impetus. Job done.

It knocked Walton off his feet, but no straight leg, no studs up, tackle was exactly the sort we'd cheer if our player does that to the nippy winger 5 minutes in.

It's being made to be a lot worse because of where it happened and the fact that we lost the game. No one would really care if they never scored that winner.

At the time, when he made it i thought "What the fuck are you doing mate?" We've had far lesser challenges punished more severely, but the minute the ref only gives a yellow, you're like I wish one of ours did that.

Folk are in danger of over-romanticising, what they want from the game imo, wanting it to be all pally pally, respectable, all play by the rules, fuck that. Part of what makes football great is 90 minutes of needle on the pitch and the fans noising each other up.

Nothing better than noising up a mate/guy in work when you get a result where your forward buys a pen, or gets a man sent off.

Last edited by David_Blunkett (19/2/2024 12:42 pm)

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

19/2/2024 12:55 pm  #35

If there was VAR in that game their first goal would have been disallowed.

19/2/2024 4:28 pm  #36

Shedtastic wrote:

If there was VAR in that game their first goal would have been disallowed.

True, and that is really frustrating but I am sure there have been occasions this season that we have got away with something due to no VAR being used.

19/2/2024 6:48 pm  #37

United Arab Emarite wrote:

Not one response to stopping the clock, just a couple of wee mentions.

I agreed with you.  However I don't think stopping the clock ends time wasting and gamesmanship, there are other ways of running down the clock.  I think it would be beneficial simply so punters get to see the game they have paid for and it takes out of the refs hands the bizarre practice that a team is attacking so we'll just keep playing until they score or the play breaks down and they blow the whistle straight after the start of play again.  What is that all about? The Man U Luton game was a perfect example.  They added on 4 minutes (from where don't know) but the ref played nearly 5 minutes (despite there being no additional stoppages) as one team was on the attack.  Of course, that practice has always been abused to ensure that as much time as possible is given for the bigger teams to get the equaliser or winner (or in The Rangers (or Rangers) case, penalty).  A game clock avoids all of that nonsense.

Board footera