Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09/2/2024 4:45 pm  #1

STOP THE FUKN CLOCK

Talk of blue cards gets me on to another rather more important football rule.
When is football going to time the ball in play?
When it does happen (cos it will one of these decades) it'll be about 40 years too late and we'll realise how imeasureably better the game is.
That it's still not even on any FIFA agenda to trial makes me ill.
I can't believe it's not even up for discussion.
Yes there will be opposition & complications at the outset but honestly it will have us screaming 'why did this not happen years ago?'.
35 minutes each way, timed ball in play, & if it keeps them out there til 5 o'clock then good & well.
Please FIFA try it. Soon. No now.
We'll be amazed at the improvement. It will get rid of some of the game's biggest ills in an instant.
Apologies for the expletive in the subject title but I'm sick it's not happening.

09/2/2024 6:15 pm  #2

Re: STOP THE FUKN CLOCK

So here is my blueprint:
 - green/blue card - 2 minute sin bin - minor indiscretions (replaces a 'talking to' type indiscretion and keeps game going (i.e. game continues and time penalty starts from when sin bin is reached)
 - yellow card - 10 minute sin bin - (probably similar indiscretion as current yellow - no totting up - penalty served in game)
 - red card - as it currently is.
 - timing on the same basis as UAE suggests
 - rolling substitutes from a match squad of 18 players (at least one being a sub-goalie)
 - and wait for it....
 - no offside

Last edited by Finn Seemann (09/2/2024 6:17 pm)

09/2/2024 7:07 pm  #3

Finn Seemann wrote:

So here is my blueprint:
 - green/blue card - 2 minute sin bin - minor indiscretions (replaces a 'talking to' type indiscretion and keeps game going (i.e. game continues and time penalty starts from when sin bin is reached)
 - yellow card - 10 minute sin bin - (probably similar indiscretion as current yellow - no totting up - penalty served in game)
 - rolling substitutes from a match squad of 18 players (at least one being a sub-goalie)
 - and wait for it....
 - no offside

How's no offside ever going to work?

09/2/2024 8:38 pm  #4

Stop the clock when ball is not in play - totally agree

Sin bin for dissent or a tactical foul - its good that they are trying to tackle these two problems. I am not sure a sin bin is the right solution, teams will just sit deep and or keep possession if they know it's only for a few minutes

No offsides - disagree, would completely change the game

Rolling subs from 18 man squad - disagree, would give the bigger clubs like the two from glasgow,even more of an advantage. I think 5 subs from a bench of 9 is already too many.

12/2/2024 10:23 am  #5

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

So here is my blueprint:
 - and wait for it....
 - no offside

How's no offside ever going to work?

Mmm there would be no offside.  Not difficult.

12/2/2024 10:34 am  #6

kiwiarab wrote:

Stop the clock when ball is not in play - totally agree

Sin bin for dissent or a tactical foul - its good that they are trying to tackle these two problems. I am not sure a sin bin is the right solution, teams will just sit deep and or keep possession if they know it's only for a few minutes

No offsides - disagree, would completely change the game

Rolling subs from 18 man squad - disagree, would give the bigger clubs like the two from glasgow,even more of an advantage. I think 5 subs from a bench of 9 is already too many.

No, offside would change the game, and make it more exciting to watch.  I played hockey when the offside rule was dropped.  Made it a much better game.  Not sure you wouldn't need to make other changes to accommodate, but it's not nearly as crazy as it sounds.  You'd end up with games that are not bogged down in midfield back and forward and tippy tappy build up football.  Totally changes the dynamic, I think, for the better.

I did think about how many in the rolling subs numbers as I am aware that it could help the bigger clubs, but in some ways it puts less emphasis on the strength of the starting XI and more emphasis on having a stronger squad.  But in the end I don't think you ever get away from the bigger teams having an advantage and the current 5 subs from 9 already means that the bigger teams have that advantage.

On the sin bin, true that teams might initially try to sit in, but in truth losing one player for 5 minutes doesn't make that much difference and sitting in is probably the wrong thing to do.  2 players off would however make the difference.  The point isn't really the punishment.  It is the deterrent.  

12/2/2024 11:16 am  #7

None of the above for me:

Back to 16 man squads.

3 subs a match.

Get rid of VAR: If it needs kept then only for fouls that occur two players, or two touches, before the ball ends up in the net.

Keep goal line technology.

Finally, ban cunts that keep trying to add new laws to the game. This is not the NFL.

12/2/2024 12:08 pm  #8

Football and other sports rules have always evolved and they need to.  I intentionally mentioned offside knowing that the 'purists' would do a flippy.  

People seem to have got over the novel idea of having substitutes and ruling out the pass back to the keeper.  Things will change because they need to.  The concept of VAR is fine - it's just that it is implemented incorrectly.  Give the referee the ability to ask for VAR if they really aren't sure on a key event and give each team one or two chances to ask for a review which they lose if they are wrong and we can get back to the game not being dominated by it.  

Also people need to remember the rules don't just apply to the top leagues.  They'll soon have no referees if there isn't some level of respect won back for refs at the grass roots levels.  Having witnessed the level of intimidation of refs at youth level (watching my son play) there is no way I'd give up my time for football reffing and I umpired at hockey for years and the difference is massive.  Not to say I think blue cards are the solution, but there is a massive problem that definitely needs to be resolved.  Sorting out player behaviour in the top leagues has to be a start...

12/2/2024 2:08 pm  #9

Finn Seemann wrote:

Also people need to remember the rules don't just apply to the top leagues.  They'll soon have no referees if there isn't some level of respect won back for refs at the grass roots levels.  Having witnessed the level of intimidation of refs at youth level (watching my son play) there is no way I'd give up my time for football reffing and I umpired at hockey for years and the difference is massive.  Not to say I think blue cards are the solution, but there is a massive problem that definitely needs to be resolved.  Sorting out player behaviour in the top leagues has to be a start...

I agree with this but the solution needs to be an agreement from those in charge of the game, in this country and globally, to back refs who deal out straight red cards for abuse of officials.

Sin bin is nonsense for me, you'll learn your lesson from a sending off and a 3 match ban using the laws as they exist currently. Telling referees to explicity use these laws and then backing them when they do so is a better solution than continued alterations to the game.

12/2/2024 2:20 pm  #10

Morphman wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

I agree with this but the solution needs to be an agreement from those in charge of the game, in this country and globally, to back refs who deal out straight red cards for abuse of officials.

Sin bin is nonsense for me, you'll learn your lesson from a sending off and a 3 match ban using the laws as they exist currently. Telling referees to explicity use these laws and then backing them when they do so is a better solution than continued alterations to the game.

Not convinced to be honest.  People don't learn their lesson - I've seen some youngsters treat their bans like  badges of honour and coaches put them straight back in the teams without any suggestion that they need to change their ways.  A new way is needed and we should be looking at other sports that appear to get it right.  The way professionals behave drips down to the grass roots.  If the current laws were correctly enforced we'd see games abandoned as there wouldn't be enough players on the park to satisfy the minimum player rules.  We need to see something in the televised game change to get a grip of things.  As a Man U fan, our captain would be sent off in pretty much every game if the rules were correctly applied.

12/2/2024 3:14 pm  #11

Bin Var. It's shite. Football is for the fans and the way it's being used makes it a shitey experience.

The rules surrounding yellows and reds as they are are fine, it's incompetent refereeing or pandering to the arsecheeks that spoils it up here.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

12/2/2024 3:16 pm  #12

Morphman wrote:

None of the above for me:

Back to 16 man squads.

3 subs a match.

Get rid of VAR: If it needs kept then only for fouls that occur two players, or two touches, before the ball ends up in the net.

Put it on a manifesto and i'll vote for you.

Keep goal line technology.

Finally, ban cunts that keep trying to add new laws to the game. This is not the NFL.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

12/2/2024 10:24 pm  #13

For me no offsides is a no brainer.
It makes for less whistle.
It makes for less fuck ups.
The bane of football for 150 years.
It gives refs one less thing to concentrate on.
It totally opens the game up and makes for unencumbered use of 120 yards of pitch, - got to be good, case in point being United at Tannadice where teams come with sole intention of sitting in and frustrating. 

VAR (other than goal line  technology) - get rid.
Holds the game up and just as many fuck ups.
Most reasons covered previous posts, but a couple that do my nut are 1/ some anal retirees in their remote ivory tower of "Clydesdale sponsored House" - wherever in presumably Glasgow that is who refer "decision" back to ref who then never ever challenges the nonsense that half the time they come back with.   .... don't understand why a ref can overrule a linesman but no the diddies of Clydesdale Bank House.
2/ Clydesdale House have the luxury of watching super slomo replays, which is just pure and utter bollox, football disnae work that way thus we end up with more VAR errors.

I'd further diminish the power of VAR by only using it in the instance of a Captain's Appeal. Now I always end up harping on about Aussie NRL - Rugby League - no apologies. You pay for 80mins total, ball in play 75min. - So anyway, I believe more than half the time players know better than Mr Specsavers. So they have a Captains Appeal, 1 each half. Appeal, decision goes their way and ref's decision overturned. Appeal wrong - no more Appeals, consequence no Appeals other than ones team Captains think are solid and most Appeals upheld.
This would get rid of the bulk VAR and overturn erroneous Ref's calls.     .... shithouse explanation, way simpler in practice.

I do agree on the one hand that we cannae keep tinkering. -But then if its for the good of the game, the object of which is pay for 90 get 90 . + it's value for them that shell out their hard earned, and makes players sweat their bollocks off for 90.

No apologies for rant.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (12/2/2024 10:27 pm)

13/2/2024 5:05 am  #14

I'd love someone to explain how football is going to work without an offside rule?

13/2/2024 12:07 pm  #15

Arabdownsouth wrote:

I'd love someone to explain how football is going to work without an offside rule?

What's to explain?  No player can be offside - will that do...?

As I have said I have played during the same change in another sport that is very similar in movement to football.  It was a revelation.  Granted it would mean a lot of tactical changes, but as Shakey says, all of a sudden the whole of the pitch is in play all the time.  Don't get me wrong it would change the art of defending (it did for me as a defender in hockey).  You've got to have a 360 degree field of vision rather than a 180-240 degree field of vision which just makes it a lot more interesting to watch.

13/2/2024 1:37 pm  #16

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

As I have said I have played during the same change in another sport that is very similar in movement to football.  It was a revelation.  Granted it would mean a lot of tactical changes, but as Shakey says, all of a sudden the whole of the pitch is in play all the time.  Don't get me wrong it would change the art of defending (it did for me as a defender in hockey).  You've got to have a 360 degree field of vision rather than a 180-240 degree field of vision which just makes it a lot more interesting to watch.

Teams would just sit back the whole time as otherwise strikers would just camp in the penalty area waiting for a long ball, no need to be snappy either, it'll never happen cos it'll never work.

Probably work with table footy though

Last edited by Arabdownsouth (13/2/2024 1:42 pm)

13/2/2024 3:57 pm  #17

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Teams would just sit back the whole time as otherwise strikers would just camp in the penalty area waiting for a long ball, no need to be snappy either, it'll never happen cos it'll never work.

Suspect it will happen at some point, but possibly not in my lifetime.  The long ball would be a tactic, but it just wouldn't be as simple as that.  It would work.

It's all a moot point anyway so no point in prolonging the offside discussion.

13/2/2024 4:44 pm  #18

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Suspect it will happen at some point, but possibly not in my lifetime.  The long ball would be a tactic, but it just wouldn't be as simple as that.  It would work.

No point in prolonging a discussion that you're wrong about you mean? Might work in some shitey sport that nobody really watches but a multi billion pound sport with massive tv coverage and huge fan bases the world over is never going to make a drastic decision like that which would, in my opinion, wreck the game altogether.

13/2/2024 5:27 pm  #19

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

No point in prolonging a discussion that you're wrong about you mean? Might work in some shitey sport that nobody really watches but a multi billion pound sport with massive tv coverage and huge fan bases the world over is never going to make a drastic decision like that which would, in my opinion, wreck the game altogether.

^^ Just to prove I'm right to step away.  Gift that keeps giving 

13/2/2024 5:33 pm  #20

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Is that what you do every time you're wrong then? Try to deride the other person? You haven't even attempted to explain your theory at all but of course you have to keep up your cleverer than everyone else image I suppose.

Here's to the next 160 years then 👍

13/2/2024 5:44 pm  #21

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Is that what you do every time you're wrong then? Try to deride the other person? You haven't even attempted to explain your theory at all but of course you have to keep up your cleverer than everyone else image I suppose.

Have more respect for yourself.  It's a debate on what rules might be changed.  Nobody is wrong, nobody is right.  You've always struggled with this concept across many United boards.  How do you want me to explain there is no offside rule?  Imagine a Bradburyesque world where the death of a butterfly results in the guy who invented offside never being born.  Does that work for you?

Last edited by Finn Seemann (13/2/2024 5:45 pm)

13/2/2024 11:22 pm  #22

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Ok, way I see it: 1/ At the moment under VAR offsides go down to micrometers and take an interminable time for boofheads to make up their minds. 2/ Defensively you set up a line across the back and marshall the line, with defensive understanding and listening to calls. It's very technical, disciplined and very satisfying when you get a clean sheet. When defending I hated it as you're reliant on all those along the line + boofhead linesman.
Anyhow given a sound defensive line it allows defence to constrict the play - thus it favours defence.

You do away with offsides, immediately you advantage attack by virtue of more space and less of the technicality of beating offside traps.

Those against getting rid of offsides would say getting rid will just create open slather (at least I think that's what you're saying lads cos I've never heard anything other than that'll no work). Anyway at it's most simplistic no offsides allows forwards space in behind leaving more room for accurate through balls and more advantage for faster forwards to get past lumps of defenders who previously relied on an albeit very skilful offside traps.   It would force man to man all the way to defensive teams goal line. Defenders would have to be faster, fitter and work their bollox off, inevitably leaving more gaps. I see no offsides as adding a whole new dimension to the game.

Bottom line- and it speaks for itself  - we describe teams that come to Tannadice as aiming to "SITin.     I'd rather see fast open football than sitting.  Oh aye and goals rather than whistle and VAR

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (13/2/2024 11:30 pm)

14/2/2024 12:07 am  #23

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Ok, way I see it: 1/ At the moment under VAR offsides go down to micrometers and take an interminable time for boofheads to make up their minds. 2/ Defensively you set up a line across the back and marshall the line, with defensive understanding and listening to calls. It's very technical, disciplined and very satisfying when you get a clean sheet. When defending I hated it as you're reliant on all those along the line + boofhead linesman.
Anyhow given a sound defensive line it allows defence to constrict the play - thus it favours defence.

You do away with offsides, immediately you advantage attack by virtue of more space and less of the technicality of beating offside traps.

Those against getting rid of offsides would say getting rid will just create open slather (at least I think that's what you're saying lads cos I've never heard anything other than that'll no work). Anyway at it's most simplistic no offsides allows forwards space in behind leaving more room for accurate through balls and more advantage for faster forwards to get past lumps of defenders who previously relied on an albeit very skilful offside traps.   It would force man to man all the way to defensive teams goal line. Defenders would have to be faster, fitter and work their bollox off, inevitably leaving more gaps. I see no offsides as adding a whole new dimension to the game.

Bottom line- and it speaks for itself  - we describe teams that come to Tannadice as aiming to "SITin.     I'd rather see fast open football than sitting.  Oh aye and goals rather than whistle and VAR

Defences are obviously just going to sit deeper to prevent forwards getting space in behind, how is that really going to make football more exciting? By all means get rid of var and leave it down to the on field calls but you can't just abolish offside altogether without completely changing how football is played

14/2/2024 12:13 am  #24

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Have more respect for yourself.  It's a debate on what rules might be changed.  Nobody is wrong, nobody is right.  You've always struggled with this concept across many United boards.  How do you want me to explain there is no offside rule?  Imagine a Bradburyesque world where the death of a butterfly results in the guy who invented offside never being born.  Does that work for you?

Here we go with the "you've got history of this" shite again. So I'm not allowed a different opinion? You started with the snarky response so maybe you could show others a little more respect yourself. I asked for an explanation of how it would work and you answered like a ten year old boy. Whilst I don't agree with Shakey, at least he explained his reasoning, unlike yourself 👍

14/2/2024 4:23 am  #25

See although i don't think for one minute the off-side rule will be scrapped in my lifetime.

I will say one thing.

Remember playing football as a kid, when no-one cared where anyone stood or if you played a pass forward if it was 'wrong'.

There was such a freedom in that.

We need to de-clutter our great sport, because it's becoming like American Sports, which for me are unwatchable and sterile.

Board footera