Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/11/2023 12:42 pm  #26

Re: Qots vs Utd - Saturday 25th November

Finn Seemann wrote:

I'm guessing this season is make or break for Glass.  He's 23 and needs to be showing he can be a permanent fixture in the first team squad.  I'm not sure he's going to make the step up to the Prem, but I thought that about Blair Spittal too and he'd walk into our team at the moment.  

Meekison and especially Mochrie have a couple of years to step up.  If it hadn't been for the Asghar insistence on putting any youngster who could trap a ball in the shop window then we wouldn't have seen these boys as early as we did.  As it happens, because of Asghar, we think they have been around for years.  Mochrie looks a player to me and for me has the physical attributes to make a decent career of it.  Meekison I'm not sure.  Glass for me has reached his level.

The simple reality is that despite the Academy bullshit bingo from Asghar, we haven't produced a real star who is going to make it big.  There appear to be no Armstrongs, Mackay Stevens, Robertsons or Gaulds waiting in the wings.  Maybe we just have to accept that the Spittal's of this world are as good as we are going to get and maybe we need to embrace them a little more than we do and not expect to see Gauld like wonder performances from the kids.

Good post. This is probably what I hate about that fat fucker the most, all the bluster about the academy but is too incompetent to sign the senior pro to bring the best out of Young players. Signing Levitt, Harkes pawlets kings etc etc when he should have been signing  Rankins and Patons

24/11/2023 9:19 pm  #27

Forget Asghar (fat Bastard.)
Very painful time for the club.
Waste of breath, history. 

24/11/2023 11:47 pm  #28

Hearing Walton is fine for tomorrow.

25/11/2023 1:59 am  #29

Tek wrote:

Hearing Walton is fine for tomorrow.

Good news

25/11/2023 10:40 am  #30

Macho Man wrote:

I've tried to see the best in Mochrie, Glass and Meekison, but there just seems to be something holding them back from being genuine first team players.  I think the next crop that are beginning to come through might have some exciting players, but I think the 3 mentioned above will all struggle to stay at this level and might even have to drop down a division to find their level.  Mochrie, Meekison and Glass have all been near the first team for a few years but none have really made me pay any real attention.

I'm not sure if it's been said before, but I get the impression they're all decent when in possession, but they don't appear to do that much when they don't have the ball.

Surely a job for the manager to sort out.

25/11/2023 10:46 am  #31

Finn Seemann wrote:

I'm guessing this season is make or break for Glass.  He's 23 and needs to be showing he can be a permanent fixture in the first team squad.  I'm not sure he's going to make the step up to the Prem, but I thought that about Blair Spittal too and he'd walk into our team at the moment.  

Meekison and especially Mochrie have a couple of years to step up.  If it hadn't been for the Asghar insistence on putting any youngster who could trap a ball in the shop window then we wouldn't have seen these boys as early as we did.  As it happens, because of Asghar, we think they have been around for years.  Mochrie looks a player to me and for me has the physical attributes to make a decent career of it.  Meekison I'm not sure.  Glass for me has reached his level.

The simple reality is that despite the Academy bullshit bingo from Asghar, we haven't produced a real star who is going to make it big.  There appear to be no Armstrongs, Mackay Stevens, Robertsons or Gaulds waiting in the wings.  Maybe we just have to accept that the Spittal's of this world are as good as we are going to get and maybe we need to embrace them a little more than we do and not expect to see Gauld like wonder performances from the kids.

Great post and fully agree about Spittal. Our fans seem to expect wonder kids to come straight from the Academy.

25/11/2023 12:02 pm  #32

spine back, Gal, Doch and Moult

Glass retains his place

Queens in disaray think we will win this easy

Last edited by dufc2019 (25/11/2023 12:03 pm)

25/11/2023 1:00 pm  #33

dufc2019 wrote:

Glass retains his place

I'm bemused as to how Glass keeps his place after last Friday, utterly bemused. It was bad enough he stayed on the pitch, wtf game was JG watching?

25/11/2023 11:38 pm  #34

Bitterly disappointing afternoon and an alarming week given we've lost back to back games against League One opposition and shipped 6 goals.

Is it just a bad week or a sign of deeper problems that need surgery. I'd suggest the latter, but we will find out everything over the next month.

I hope the fans who were involved in the horrible accident after the game are ok, and make a full recovery.

That's the main thing.

26/11/2023 12:23 am  #35

Will save my comments for tomorrow, tonight I’m just thinking about the poor souls involved in that accident. I was there, it’s something i won’t ever forget.

26/11/2023 12:32 am  #36

Most worrying is our lauded defence has been unlocked 6 times in 2 games by league 1 opposition.- we need to take steps to address this so it doesnt become more that an blip.

Not pressing any panic buttons yet but there needs to be a reaction from the players.  We had a lot of chances but did not convert an conceded poor goals.

I dont know why but every united team seems to be awful on artificial surfaces no matter which manager or players we have.

Not blaming him as he has been asked to fill in there but Grimshaw is not a RB and we need to fix the position quickly as i feel teams are now targeting us there and have spotted it as a weakness in out team.

26/11/2023 1:03 am  #37

Lancashire-Arab wrote:

Not blaming him as he has been asked to fill in there but Grimshaw is not a RB and we need to fix the position quickly as i feel teams are now targeting us there and have spotted it as a weakness in out team.

I did think to myself after last week, have Falkirk just shown other teams the blueprint on how to beat us. Because they exploited us so badly on that side of the pitch.

Worrying.

Need a proper hard tackling RB in Jan.

26/11/2023 11:43 am  #38

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Will save my comments for tomorrow, tonight I’m just thinking about the poor souls involved in that accident. I was there, it’s something i won’t ever forget.

I wasnae at the game, bein at a femily doo instead, but 2 oe my mates were there, and like you Roger, they saw something of the incident after the game.

Think it's crud that we canna get a win against a team sitting 3rd bottom in the League below us. And missing 2 penalties. Jeezo.

Well, we can always go and see Farfir in the next roond.

Last edited by Billy_Hainey (26/11/2023 11:55 am)

26/11/2023 12:32 pm  #39

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Sadly, one of those involved has passed away.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-67535873

26/11/2023 12:34 pm  #40

Billy_Hainey wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Sadly, one of those involved has passed away.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-67535873

looks like he had a heart attack at the wheel and ran into 3 supporters

26/11/2023 1:50 pm  #41

So frustrating, 30 odd years of going to watch us and I don't think I've witnessed such poor finishing. 

Some of the composure in front of goal was amateurish with the exception of young Kai who can hold his head up. It has been coming  for weeks ,the likes of Middleton & Moult who seems to pass up 3 or 4 good opportunities everyweek. Well yesterday it came back to haunt us.

Genuinely thought after 10 mins it could've been whatever we wanted it to be, that attitude crept into the players mindset. Toothless in front of goal, wasteful on countless occasions when we had the ball in good positions.  It was tearing your hair out stuff at times, offside needlessly too many times due to lack of concentration or not reading the game, dreaming at the first goal with the entire team watching the ball.

That's the second time this season I have pished in a portaloo,  got a pie from a Gazebo and watched my team get beat from a lower league side. It was unacceptable.

Lastly the penalties, it was as predictable an outcome as when Middleton is through on goal with the keeper to beat.

Let's just put it politely and say Grimshaw never had his greatest game, he should be at the end of that list. His head must have been scrambled eggs at full time after that performance and to let him take a pen FFS.

It's a long drag now until the end of the season with only the league to play for, that was our target and must be delivered.

Last edited by CCX2 2010 (26/11/2023 1:51 pm)

26/11/2023 2:09 pm  #42

CCX2 2010 wrote:

It's a long drag now until the end of the season with only the league to play for, that was our target and must be delivered.

Spot on m8. Nail on the haed.

26/11/2023 3:57 pm  #43

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Glass retains his place

I'm bemused as to how Glass keeps his place after last Friday, utterly bemused. It was bad enough he stayed on the pitch, wtf game was JG watching?

Me too at least Mochrie can carry the ball from box to box at pace no way glass can do that.

https://x.com/BlueHea11451779/status/1728789214626513393?s=20

26/11/2023 6:13 pm  #44

27/11/2023 10:24 pm  #45

Ahm bewildered as to why Sibbald gets taken off ?
Give him the armband, one of the best players , penalties looming (unless he'd picked up a niggle ?)
Bewildered.  Beginning to wonder at Goodwin's subbing of Sibbald, worst decisions he's making.

The wee Cudjoe puts he's hand up for a pen, didnae take Einstein tae see what would happen, weak as piss on the part of more senior guys.

Spine of team spineless. Defensive frailties laid bare for all to see - a worry.

I thought QoS defended resolutely, their goalie was great.
On any other day it could have been six, nonetheless attack woeful and Moult's lost he's mojo.

Kai adding the zeros, we'll no keep him long.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (27/11/2023 10:26 pm)

28/11/2023 12:50 am  #46

A brutal result, but a bit of perspective.

Last season, we went entire games without a shot at goal. At least we created a good number of chances at Palmerston, even if our composure in front of goal was shocking.

Goodwin has had one window, with funds presumably a bit limited because of Birighitti and Watt salaries. He saw pretty much the same problems that we did, and he attempted to address them. We've got a much better keeper, a better centre half pairing, a better central mid, a more productive forward, and we're much, much fitter. There are still improvements to be made in a few positions - we are far from the finished article - and not all of his signings have worked out. We are still weak in one or two positions and we have very little depth to the squad. As Tek said, as usual, there was nobody on the bench to come on and change a game (although IMO, that game didn't need to be changed - we just needed to put away one of the bucket load of chances we were creating).

In the January window, Goodwin needs to do enough to make sure we finish top. In the summer window, when more funds should be available, he needs to do enough to have a squad with the quality and depth capable of competing for top 6 IMO. I'll judge him in a year's time. The Falkirk game was horrific, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over a performance where we did more than enough to win the game 19 times out of 20.

28/11/2023 8:47 am  #47

Canadian Arab wrote:

Last season, we went entire games without a shot at goal. At least we created a good number of chances at Palmerston, even if our composure in front of goal was shocking.

Goodwin has had one window, with funds presumably a bit limited because of Birighitti and Watt salaries. He saw pretty much the same problems that we did, and he attempted to address them. We've got a much better keeper, a better centre half pairing, a better central mid, a more productive forward, and we're much, much fitter. There are still improvements to be made in a few positions - we are far from the finished article - and not all of his signings have worked out. We are still weak in one or two positions and we have very little depth to the squad. As Tek said, as usual, there was nobody on the bench to come on and change a game (although IMO, that game didn't need to be changed - we just needed to put away one of the bucket load of chances we were creating).

In the January window, Goodwin needs to do enough to make sure we finish top. In the summer window, when more funds should be available, he needs to do enough to have a squad with the quality and depth capable of competing for top 6 IMO. I'll judge him in a year's time. The Falkirk game was horrific, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over a performance where we did more than enough to win the game 19 times out of 20.

I would agree with most of that. JG has improved the team in most positions. But there is virtually nothing beyond the 1st eleven.
What happens in January will decide our fate this season.

28/11/2023 2:52 pm  #48

Canadian Arab wrote:

Also largely agree with this.  A couple of points though.  I'm not sure we can really separate the windows in terms of why we are taking on personnel.  We just don't have the cash or the sellable assets to add players in January who are not for the long term.  Yes there are loans, but we have no success in finding those sorts of players.  So for me if we can add one or two long term faces in the right positions and those players are top league capable then all good.  If not, I'd be tempted not to bother and keep giving the youngsters a chance.

In terms of goals when we get there, I'd far prefer that we are not insisting as fans on top 6 of the top league for the first couple of seasons.  Can we not just concentrate on building a team that doesn't go down?  Think they might lose out of steam this year, but I'd rather have been Livingston over the last decade than us.  Ultimately, the Euro sojourn was just an embarrassment and papered over the chasms behind the scenes.  

Finally, as a team that has 4 times the number of cups to top league wins, I don't think we should be a team that is out of all cups before Christmas.  That is not good enough!

03/12/2023 10:16 am  #49

Well that was a great result against QoS yesterday. Clean sheet, Fehv goals. Oh but wait a minute, that wisna us, it was the Accies.

(sarc. at it's worst)

Board footera