Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/11/2023 10:54 am  #51

Re: Falkirk vs Utd - SPFL Trust Quarter Final

Let me just start by saying that the performance on Friday night was a shocker, we just did not look up for it from the get-go.  However, some of the things I have seen written by some fans on here, Twitter etc is unreal.

In particular singling Tilson out.  I mean, how the fuck can anybody blame him for that defeat on Friday, he was not to blame for any of the goals we conceded, we was only on the park for 1 minute where we conceded the 3rd and then the 4th was a complete fuck up by Holt.  I actually thought he did well when he came on and kept possession very well -  which pretty much all his team mates failed to do for the entire game.

Also comments on Glass and Mochrie should never play again.  We'd be 4 points worse off and chasing Raith if it was not for Mochrie coming on and changing two games.

Yes, they were both poor, so was Sibbald, so was Middleton, so was Watt.  So was everyone.  But the vitriol over losing one game is unreal.  We will not give a fuck about this game if we go on to achieve the only thing that matters this season.

On another note, Walton was clearly injured when the boy up front for Falkirk went through late when he made a clearance mid way through the first half, I am convinced he's have came off at half time if we didn't only have Adams on the bench, I think his mobility was definitely hampered in the 2nd half.   

Last edited by SlatefordArab (20/11/2023 11:01 am)

20/11/2023 11:30 am  #52

SlatefordArab wrote:

Let me just start by saying that the performance on Friday night was a shocker, we just did not look up for it from the get-go.  However, some of the things I have seen written by some fans on here, Twitter etc is unreal.

In particular singling Tilson out.  I mean, how the fuck can anybody blame him for that defeat on Friday, he was not to blame for any of the goals we conceded, we was only on the park for 1 minute where we conceded the 3rd and then the 4th was a complete fuck up by Holt.  I actually thought he did well when he came on and kept possession very well -  which pretty much all his team mates failed to do for the entire game.

Also comments on Glass and Mochrie should never play again.  We'd be 4 points worse off and chasing Raith if it was not for Mochrie coming on and changing two games.

Yes, they were both poor, so was Sibbald, so was Middleton, so was Watt.  So was everyone.  But the vitriol over losing one game is unreal.  We will not give a fuck about this game if we go on to achieve the only thing that matters this season.

On another note, Walton was clearly injured when the boy up front for Falkirk went through late when he made a clearance mid way through the first half, I am convinced he's have came off at half time if we didn't only have Adams on the bench, I think his mobility was definitely hampered in the 2nd half.   

Good post. Glass and particularly Mochrie were far from the worst on Friday, I'd say Grimshaw graham holt mcman watt cudjoe and even middleton were all worse. Grimshaw had given the ball away about 5 times in the first 15 mins.

Tilson is getting it because he has been poor and he came on when we were 2-1 up but none of the goals were down to him. The defence was terrible all night. Graham really struggled.

I think Glass and Mochrie are getting it because that was the major change and we were all expecting more from them. Maybe they cant start in the same team, maybe for them to play they need a proper sitting midfielder (something sibbald really isn't)

20/11/2023 1:30 pm  #53

The performance on Friday was rotten, that can't be argued against, it wasn't good enough.

But as we all know there's only one real goal this season as posted above.

Even the Scottish Cup this season is a distraction, by all means we should be looking to go as far as possible, but the minute we draw a top 6, top league team we're likely to come up short.

Not sure of dates, but even one big tie/crowd/tv money could make a difference to the budget for January.

Not gonna judge any player based on Friday, when all of them on the park have played a part in having us top of the league.

It's entirely possible to think a performance is totally unacceptable, but be totally not arsed that we're out of a competition nobody wants to even qualify to play in.

In the league, these guys haven't let us down so far, have shown a real togetherness and have fought right to the end of games.

Maybe behind the scenes it was a case of say the right things in the press, make the right noises, but really it was all about giving some players some game time and coming away from the game making sure we had no fresh injury concerns?

The fact we've been travelling in such great numbers this season, whereas on Friday, you could've thrown and double duvet over the support suggests the appetite shown by the supporters was mirrored on field.

We'll get a reaction on Saturday and it'll all be forgotten.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

20/11/2023 7:12 pm  #54

This is the problem when you have a pop star like Watt as captain.  Sets the wrong tone and nobody, bar maybe Sibbald, is on it.  We were beyond really poor.  One of my son's mates was on the bench for Falkirk.  Wasn't needed.
Holt was a worry for me.  As the more senior of the CHs he should be helping Graham through the game but he clearly can't be the leader (it was the same v Spartans at the beginning of the season).  Some say we missed Docherty (and that is true) but we even more missed Gallagher.  
I'm not ready for writing off young lads like Cudjoe, Glass and Mochrie as its difficult for them to take a game when the senior players around them are performing so badly, but you'd think one of them would look at Fotheringham (who we missed) and realise that you make your own luck.
In the end its a game that doesn't matter, but it will give Raith and others an incentive to keep going as we are not nearly as good as Tony Watt thinks we are.

20/11/2023 9:50 pm  #55

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Finally for me, the biggest learning point was our captain on the night. This guy is an imposter and shouldn't wear it again, his lack of work rate and desire was like a disease though the team and reflected how we performed.

Watt was an absolute disgrace last night, he never broke sweat for me. When you wear that armband you need to lead from the front, the wee flicks do my nut in. Get your body spread and take the fuckin tackle-arrghh.

Took the words out of my mouth mate, Watt never a captain.  He's a joker no a leader. Football wise occasional occasional good hold up play, very occasional peach but generally spends his time rolling around on his erse - sets a shocking example. And this from the most overpaid player bought on the back on that one stunner at Fir Park and the misplaced hope that he'd be another Lawrence. 

No chance.

Beats me how Goodwin gives him the armband.
The only thing I can think on is after the supposed Mulgrew/Watt role in Ross departure Goodwin is keeping worst enemy close at hand, or mebbe he thought armband would bring out the best in him ? 

- Not working.

January can't come soon enough.

Don't over excite yourself over January, when was the last time we had a good January window?

Live in hope ADS

21/11/2023 12:22 am  #56

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Took the words out of my mouth mate, Watt never a captain.  He's a joker no a leader. Football wise occasional occasional good hold up play, very occasional peach but generally spends his time rolling around on his erse - sets a shocking example. And this from the most overpaid player bought on the back on that one stunner at Fir Park and the misplaced hope that he'd be another Lawrence. 

No chance.

Beats me how Goodwin gives him the armband.
The only thing I can think on is after the supposed Mulgrew/Watt role in Ross departure Goodwin is keeping worst enemy close at hand, or mebbe he thought armband would bring out the best in him ? 

- Not working.

January can't come soon enough.

Don't over excite yourself over January, when was the last time we had a good January window?

Live in hope ADS

It's the hope that kills you mate 🙏

21/11/2023 1:04 am  #57

@CCX2
@Slateford

I never said Tillson was to blame for any of the goals the other night, in fact i said as much in my original post. What i did say is that i felt the game slipping away from us so soon after he came on was symbolic of what i felt he brings to the team. We are a poorer side with him in the XI. Just my opinion, but i see nothing that he brings to the team.

@Slateford

Defo not saying i never want to see Glass and Mochrie play for Utd again. What i am saying is that based on the other night (a big chance for both), it is hard to see how either can have a long term future at the club as both are out of contract next Summer. I say that definitely more about Glass than Mochrie. The latter hasn't really had too many chances at all and i would be in favour of him getting minutes when he can to see if there is something there we can work on. It's hard to see how Glass improves at his age now though (23, 24 by the time he's out of contract). And that is coming from someone who has backed the wee man constantly over the years.

We aim to be Premiership next season, if either have any chance of staying and playing at that level they don't have long left to prove this as neither will get many starts in the coming months, and that is why i was so disappointed for both and in both the other night. It's disappointment, not vitriol.

The same goes for Ross Graham.

21/11/2023 7:28 am  #58

Tek wrote:

@CCX2
@Slateford

I never said Tillson was to blame for any of the goals the other night, in fact i said as much in my original post. What i did say is that i felt the game slipping away from us so soon after he came on was symbolic of what i felt he brings to the team. We are a poorer side with him in the XI. Just my opinion, but i see nothing that he brings to the team.

@Slateford

Defo not saying i never want to see Glass and Mochrie play for Utd again. What i am saying is that based on the other night (a big chance for both), it is hard to see how either can have a long term future at the club as both are out of contract next Summer. I say that definitely more about Glass than Mochrie. The latter hasn't really had too many chances at all and i would be in favour of him getting minutes when he can to see if there is something there we can work on. It's hard to see how Glass improves at his age now though (23, 24 by the time he's out of contract). And that is coming from someone who has backed the wee man constantly over the years.

We aim to be Premiership next season, if either have any chance of staying and playing at that level they don't have long left to prove this as neither will get many starts in the coming months, and that is why i was so disappointed for both and in both the other night. It's disappointment, not vitriol.

I get what your saying it was a big chance for both but i guess its very hard to look good when the other 9 players were so bad on the night ? 

As for their futures then I guess its a case of how much more they can develop. 24 is getting there in terms of age.
is 20 ?  How much they can contribute, as someone says without Mochrie's goals we wouldn't be top of the league most likely.
IMO Glass's main problem is physical. Watching him on Friday he still looks like a wee laddie, small and 1 paced.

21/11/2023 8:52 am  #59

Glass, Graham & Freeman are not good enough for UTD, they've proved that on a number of occasions.  They need to be moved on to make space for the next generation to come through. There is no room for sentiment.

21/11/2023 9:02 am  #60

dufc2019 wrote:

Tek wrote:

@CCX2
@Slateford

@Slateford

I get what your saying it was a big chance for both but i guess its very hard to look good when the other 9 players were so bad on the night ? 

As for their futures then I guess its a case of how much more they can develop. 24 is getting there in terms of age.
is 20 ?  How much they can contribute, as someone says without Mochrie's goals we wouldn't be top of the league most likely.
IMO Glass's main problem is physical. Watching him on Friday he still looks like a wee laddie, small and 1 paced.

Sorry mate, i hate that excuse that their team mates weren't on it, so how could they possibly be. They're not wee boys anymore. They need to take individual responsibility for their own performances. Both of which were poor. Particularly Glass.

On Mochrie. Yes, a couple of goals have helped and as i said, i am in favour of him getting minutes to see if there's anything there that can be worked on. But we need more if they are to stay on.

That's just a fact.

21/11/2023 12:16 pm  #61

Tek wrote:

@CCX2
@Slateford

@Slateford

Wasn't having a go at you mate, it was just comments in general I saw after the game, particularly on Twitter.

I agree Glass and Mochrie need to prove now they are good enough, Mochrie in particular has not really had a run of games yet since he made his debut 4/5 years ago.  Glass I would say has been pretty good overall this season so far when he's played, I suspect this is probably his level though.  Has all the ability in the world but as somebody else said on the thread, its his physical attributes that let him down a bit.

Re Tilson, just think he is going to be the scapegoat when things go wrong.  He's not exactly the greatest player I have ever seen in tangerine but he's certainly not the worst.  Thought he did ok when he came on against Falkirk; played the simple ball and kept possession - same when he came on v Airdrie.  He's was poor in the ICT game though.  Would I keep him if we go up?  no, but he's more than capable of doing a job this season if/when we need him.

Finally re Ross Graham, i honestly feel he's been shafted - in season 2021/22 when he came in an played as part of a back three he was excellent.  Last season, when Mulgrew and Edwards were looking like they'd never seen a football before, he did not get a chance.  I am not surprised he's went backwards - his confidence is probably in the gutter, never mind the fact he's hardly kicked a ball for 18 months so his sharpness and fitness are probably not where they should be at either.  

Last edited by SlatefordArab (21/11/2023 12:17 pm)

21/11/2023 2:40 pm  #62

SlatefordArab wrote:

Tek wrote:

@CCX2
@Slateford

@Slateford

Wasn't having a go at you mate, it was just comments in general I saw after the game, particularly on Twitter.

I agree Glass and Mochrie need to prove now they are good enough, Mochrie in particular has not really had a run of games yet since he made his debut 4/5 years ago.  Glass I would say has been pretty good overall this season so far when he's played, I suspect this is probably his level though.  Has all the ability in the world but as somebody else said on the thread, its his physical attributes that let him down a bit.

Re Tilson, just think he is going to be the scapegoat when things go wrong.  He's not exactly the greatest player I have ever seen in tangerine but he's certainly not the worst.  Thought he did ok when he came on against Falkirk; played the simple ball and kept possession - same when he came on v Airdrie.  He's was poor in the ICT game though.  Would I keep him if we go up?  no, but he's more than capable of doing a job this season if/when we need him.

Finally re Ross Graham, i honestly feel he's been shafted - in season 2021/22 when he came in an played as part of a back three he was excellent.  Last season, when Mulgrew and Edwards were looking like they'd never seen a football before, he did not get a chance.  I am not surprised he's went backwards - his confidence is probably in the gutter, never mind the fact he's hardly kicked a ball for 18 months so his sharpness and fitness are probably not where they should be at either.  

I agree re Graham.  Still only 22 which is young for a CH but he does need to work on his physical attributes in terms of reaction speed and overall pace.  Positioning and nous will only come with game time (which he is not getting).  I don't think he and Holt are a good combination.  Holt works well with Gallagher as Gallagher is happy to concentrate on the defensive duties first.  When Holt leaves the defensive organisation to Graham that is simply not going to work.  I suspect that Gallagher and Graham would work reasonably well together.  Holt is rightly lauded for his contribution thus far, but he is not an organiser/leader.

I'd also agree that Glass needs to secure a starting spot this year or he's rightly offski.  As I don't think he is capable of holding that position in this league, let alone the one above, I think he'll be off in the summer.  I do however believe that we have not yet seen the best of Mochrie and I hope that Goodwin perseveres with him (probably ahead of any other centre/right sided acting mid).

21/11/2023 6:42 pm  #63

Finn Seemann wrote:

SlatefordArab wrote:

Tek wrote:

@CCX2
@Slateford

@Slateford

I agree re Graham.  Still only 22 which is young for a CH but he does need to work on his physical attributes in terms of reaction speed and overall pace.  Positioning and nous will only come with game time (which he is not getting).  I don't think he and Holt are a good combination.  Holt works well with Gallagher as Gallagher is happy to concentrate on the defensive duties first.  When Holt leaves the defensive organisation to Graham that is simply not going to work.  I suspect that Gallagher and Graham would work reasonably well together.  Holt is rightly lauded for his contribution thus far, but he is not an organiser/leader.

I'd also agree that Glass needs to secure a starting spot this year or he's rightly offski.  As I don't think he is capable of holding that position in this league, let alone the one above, I think he'll be off in the summer.  I do however believe that we have not yet seen the best of Mochrie and I hope that Goodwin perseveres with him (probably ahead of any other centre/right sided acting mid).

playing Graham as a RCB when he is all left foot is not good. On Friday, with falkirk's press all he could do was pass it out to Grimshaw at RB ( who was the worst player on the park) all he did then was either give it away or put it out the park this allowed Falkirk to put us under all kind of pressure.

21/11/2023 6:46 pm  #64

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

SlatefordArab wrote:

playing Graham as a RCB when he is all left foot is not good. On Friday, with falkirk's press all he could do was pass it out to Grimshaw at RB ( who was the worst player on the park) all he did then was either give it away or put it out the park this allowed Falkirk to put us under all kind of pressure.

Every player was shite on Friday night, but if Grimshaw was worse than Glass then I must have been watching a different game to yourself.

22/11/2023 2:18 pm  #65

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Every player was shite on Friday night, but if Grimshaw was worse than Glass then I must have been watching a different game to yourself.

I'm a bit old school re CHs and what foot they kick with but a pro-footballer should be comfortable enough passing the ball with both feet - so add that to Graham's things to work on.  I played hockey which is one sided and you can learn to distribute both ways with better body positioning - not quite the same thing but I still think it's an excuse a pro footballer shouldn't have.

Re Grimshaw, having seen him a few times in the flesh now, it's obvious to me his technique with the ball is limited.  He's fine on grass but his skills are shown to be deficient when it come to playing on a wet or fast moving plastic pitch where his touch is bluntly poor.  This is one of the reasons why he needs to be kept away from midfield!  

I guess the combination of a player who can only pass to a player who can't control the ball isn't a good starting point.  Bizarrely, Freeman has a better touch and that is saying something...

Board footera