Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/7/2023 11:36 pm  #1

Club being bled dry

I keep hearing some fans glibly say 'we're skint', in reply to the lack of signings. 

Since last August the following have left - 
Mark Connolly
Trevor Carson
Nicky Clark
Ryan Edwards
Arnaud Djoum
Peter Pawlett
Loick Ayina
Jamie McGrath
Carljohan Erikssonn
Ian Harkes
Steven Fletcher
Liam Smith
Dylan Levitt

THIRTEEN First team players. FOUR of those sold and ALL of them on good money (some on VERY good money). That's not even counting all the younger fringe players who would have left of course. I expect Aziz Behich's departure will be announced next.

In that same time period we have made 3 permanent signings (Docherty, Grimshaw and Holt). No offence to either, but all Championship level players on small wages in comparison.

The absolute piss is being ripped out of the support.

06/7/2023 7:18 am  #2

Re: Club being bled dry

This club is a shambles right now, we have Ted Lasso as owner and a manager who up to now is clearly only competent at spouting baloney.  Enough now, we are where we deserve to be and persisting with that keeper, Mulgrew, Freeman will simply mean we remain in this league at best.
Actions speak louder than words should be the banner unfurled this year

06/7/2023 7:29 am  #3

Tek wrote:

I keep hearing some fans glibly say 'we're skint', in reply to the lack of signings. 

Mark Connolly
Trevor Carson
Nicky Clark
Ryan Edwards
Arnaud Djoum
Peter Pawlett
Loick Ayina
Jamie McGrath
Carljohan Erikssonn
Ian Harkes
Steven Fletcher
Liam Smith
Dylan Levitt

THIRTEEN First team players. FOUR of those sold and ALL of them on good money (some on VERY good money). That's not even counting all the younger fringe players who would have left of course. I expect Aziz Behich's departure will be announced next.

In that same time period we have made 3 permanent signings (Docherty, Grimshaw and Holt). No offence to either, but all Championship level players on small wages in comparison.

We're millions of pounds in debt, what is it that you're expecting exactly?

06/7/2023 7:34 am  #4

There's still time, but I'm pretty underwhelmed at our business so far. A new keeper should have been a number 1 priority but there's a real possibility we could be starting the league Cup campaign with that imposter of a keeper.

The squad didn't have much depth last season it looks like that will be the same this season. Relying on losers from last season that we can't afford to rid ourselves of or academy players that either aren't ready or good enough.

Again still time but I'm looking at our current strongest XI and it's not a league winning team.

The chairman for the moment seems to be sticking to his word that he's not putting anymore money into the team.

06/7/2023 8:13 am  #5

Far from taking the piss I think it's long overdue that the size of the squad was reduced dramatically.
Taking the piss was having a wage to turnover ratio of 133%.

06/7/2023 8:42 am  #6

As ye know Tek, I dinna like slaggin off the Club or any oe the playin staff.

However, amongst her list there, there must be some players who think they are too good for the Championship. The same players who were good enough to get us there.

06/7/2023 8:55 am  #7

Stillliving wrote:

Far from taking the piss I think it's long overdue that the size of the squad was reduced dramatically.
Taking the piss was having a wage to turnover ratio of 133%.

Wasn't necessarily the size of the squad it was the money they were on. A lot of players that weren't good enough on big wages.

06/7/2023 9:17 am  #8

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

Mark Connolly
Trevor Carson
Nicky Clark
Ryan Edwards
Arnaud Djoum
Peter Pawlett
Loick Ayina
Jamie McGrath
Carljohan Erikssonn
Ian Harkes
Steven Fletcher
Liam Smith
Dylan Levitt

Without knowing the numbers involved, it would appear that we have had a massive reduction in our wage bill since these players left.

At a minimum, we need a decent, experienced keeper, a commanding centre half, and a centre forward who can lead the line and score.

Without these, our chances of winning the league are extremely low, and I agree with TEK that the supporters are being taken for mugs

06/7/2023 11:51 am  #9

Conservatively if they were on an average of around £2k per week (I would guess the average is higher) that adds up to £1.35m and we will only be paying out max £2k for the 3 new signings so a net saving of just over £1m.

Even without transfer fees there has to be some budget for additional players in the areas we need them without losing the salary of Behich who will no doubt be away soon

06/7/2023 12:10 pm  #10

Of the list the following 3 were replaced with other players on the list and its unfair to role them in. Ie, without clark leaving, you wouldn't have had fletcher - so counting the sane money twice.

Connelly
Carson
Clark

Two were loans and we will nit have been paying their full wage - so perhaps not as high as you'd like.

Ayina
Mcgrath

Two of the fees were minimal and in the last financial year and would've been invested in last seasons squad.... another was small and Levitt has literally just left.

So, we've lost 7 players this season. Fletcher and Levitt will be on big bucks and should clear a bit of our commitments. Harkes and edwards will also likely be on a good chunk of change.

The other 3, I doubt are on huge money.

On the other hand, looking at incoming funds, we probably budgeted for 6th place last season. (Circa £2m). The winner of the championship will earn around 650k. That doesn't include cup runs, larger away crowds at Tannadice and corporate hospitality. That's a lot to make up....before we sign any players.

I don't necessarily disagree with the general point - we should be making more signings and I believe we will...but the way you present the argument is not a real representation of the situation we are in.

I don't think ogren or any mythical investor who is waiting to step in is likely to continue to let millions flow out the door.

I do believe the club are looking to streamline the backroom too which I think needs work on

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

06/7/2023 6:37 pm  #11

Tangy wrote:

Of the list the following 3 were replaced with other players on the list and its unfair to role them in. Ie, without clark leaving, you wouldn't have had fletcher - so counting the sane money twice.

Connelly
Carson
Clark

Two were loans and we will nit have been paying their full wage - so perhaps not as high as you'd like.

Ayina
Mcgrath

Two of the fees were minimal and in the last financial year and would've been invested in last seasons squad.... another was small and Levitt has literally just left.

So, we've lost 7 players this season. Fletcher and Levitt will be on big bucks and should clear a bit of our commitments. Harkes and edwards will also likely be on a good chunk of change.

The other 3, I doubt are on huge money.

On the other hand, looking at incoming funds, we probably budgeted for 6th place last season. (Circa £2m). The winner of the championship will earn around 650k. That doesn't include cup runs, larger away crowds at Tannadice and corporate hospitality. That's a lot to make up....before we sign any players.

I don't necessarily disagree with the general point - we should be making more signings and I believe we will...but the way you present the argument is not a real representation of the situation we are in.

I don't think ogren or any mythical investor who is waiting to step in is likely to continue to let millions flow out the door.

I do believe the club are looking to streamline the backroom too which I think needs work on

I'm not mis-representing the situation at all.

Fletcher was signed before Clark left. So you could argue he was a replacement for Marc McNulty.

You are missing the general point anyway. The playing budget is constantly getting reduced. Signings are getting fewer and fewer. And on less money.

This despite record season ticket sakes/merchandise sales/sponsorship deals/player sales.

Ogren is now performing damage limitation on the extreme damage he allowed Revolution Sports to carry-out. But it's at the extreme detriment of the club.

06/7/2023 6:40 pm  #12

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

Mark Connolly
Trevor Carson
Nicky Clark
Ryan Edwards
Arnaud Djoum
Peter Pawlett
Loick Ayina
Jamie McGrath
Carljohan Erikssonn
Ian Harkes
Steven Fletcher
Liam Smith
Dylan Levitt

Us to be able to have a budget that will allow us to easily win the Championship (something Ogren indicated we would). That simple.

We currently don't have a first XI or squad anywhere near that.

The debt will NEVER be reduced floundering in the Championship afterall. This has to be a one season jolly.

It's that simple.

Board footera