Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/5/2023 6:59 pm  #1

Who do you want as next DUFC Manager?

Give me one name.

Next DUFC Manager?

25/5/2023 7:17 pm  #2

Re: Who do you want as next DUFC Manager?

One name i haven't put in the poll but would like Utd to consider is Stephen Bradley, the Manager of Shamrock Rovers.

Has been their Manager since 2016.

Delivered them 3 Irish Premier League titles in a row and also won them 2 different Cups.

25/5/2023 7:47 pm  #3

Tek wrote:

One name i haven't put in the poll but would like Utd to consider is Stephen Bradley, the Manager of Shamrock Rovers.

Has been their Manager since 2016.

Delivered them 3 Irish Premier League titles in a row and also won them 2 different Cups.

Our recruitment team probably could point to Ireland on a globe.

26/5/2023 12:55 pm  #4

Robbie Neilson is without question the standout candidate given his record of getting teams out the Championship. Not convinced he'll come back to us or even be approached but he won't get a bigger job in Scotland now. 

26/5/2023 4:33 pm  #5

dufc5 wrote:

Robbie Neilson is without question the standout candidate given his record of getting teams out the Championship. Not convinced he'll come back to us or even be approached but he won't get a bigger job in Scotland now. 

Seriously? Fuck that

26/5/2023 4:36 pm  #6

I’d rather have Dennis Neilson !

26/5/2023 5:43 pm  #7

I understand why some people would want Robbie Neilson back.

I want players who are dedicated and committed to the cause. It's hard for a manager to demand that when he himself showed zero commitment or loyalty to us. In fact, he fought tooth and nail to stop us being promoted at the expense of Hearts after he left. Plus I suspect he used knowledge of our players' contracts to step in and shaft us over Lewis Neilson. Yes, that was our fault originally, but he had no qualms at all over screwing us.

I don't like him. I don't trust him. It's a "no thanks" from me.

26/5/2023 10:28 pm  #8

dufc5 wrote:

My view on it as well. He’s clearly the most obvious candidate If you take out folk’s personal vendetta against him for leaving which we also don’t the full reasons behind. Though at the time, Pressley, who he’s good mates with, stated that it was basically due to certain people behind the scenes, i.e Asghar. Robbie would probably have jumped at the chance to rejoin Hearts regardless, but he clearly could see where things were headed with Tony calling the shots.

I know he wasn’t happy with our transfer plans that summer. He wasn’t happy that we passed up the chance to sign Kevin Nisbet. Neilson had spoken to the player and I believe he was willing to come, but we wouldn’t pull the trigger financially, Andy Halliday was the same, along with a few others that I can’t remember off the top of my head.

If not Neilson, I’d be speaking to Derek McInnes and asking if he’s interested. How far can he realistically take Kilmarnock? United have a much higher ceiling than Kilmarnock. He’s an ex-club captain, and his assistant Tony Docherty still lives in the Ferry.

26/5/2023 10:35 pm  #9

Goodwin to be named by end of next week. According to Courier. Record saying he is getting it as well

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jim-goodwin-set-dundee-united-30088649

Last edited by KdyArab (26/5/2023 10:36 pm)

27/5/2023 1:32 am  #10

It amazes me tbh that nearly half of the people who have voted, have voted for Goodwin to get the job.

Based on what? We are more than likely losing all 5 of our bottom 6 fixtures.

Yes, the squad ain't good enough and the table doesn't lie etc etc etc.

But that is horrendous failure.

27/5/2023 9:13 am  #11

Tek wrote:

It amazes me tbh that nearly half of the people who have voted, have voted for Goodwin to get the job.

I wasn't keen on him getting the job given the shit job he did up at Aberdeen, they were heading for bottom six comfortably with him at the helm, the way he was sacked was poor but, given the results they had no choice, the fact Robson has since got them 3rd place shows they were right to bin him.

He's came here trying to restore his reputation, thats still not happened given the results but everyone was in agreement here that regardless of the outcome at the end of the season the blame wouldn't be his.

I would still say the jury is out on him, but that team isn't his and realistically who are we going to get that's universally popular among the support?
So looks like he gets his chance to rebuild a team for next season. He needs to get results quickly otherwise fans will turn on him  pretty quickly.
The only successful outcome next season is promotion(winning the title since we are shite in the playoffs) but barring huge investment, bringing an entirely new first XI as well as backup players I dont see us coming back up at the first attempt.

27/5/2023 6:02 pm  #12

27/5/2023 9:37 pm  #13

Tek wrote:

I think so far he talks a good game and that's what's different from the past few managers we have had.

He says exactly what I think, see and feel after watching us for most of this season. I hear far less bullshit but that might change.

The club has been a giant failure over the past 12 years ,many mangers have tried and failed and I agree that he has failed in the objective he set himself. That said, after the 4 nil drubbing away to County it was certain in my head but I always held out a hope in my heart that we would somehow escape.

It's not a horrendous failure these players are nowhere near the required standard for the top division and that is saying something.

Who would be your proffered choice mate?

27/5/2023 10:54 pm  #14

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Tek wrote:

I think so far he talks a good game and that's what's different from the past few managers we have had.

He says exactly what I think, see and feel after watching us for most of this season. I hear far less bullshit but that might change.

The club has been a giant failure over the past 12 years ,many mangers have tried and failed and I agree that he has failed in the objective he set himself. That said, after the 4 nil drubbing away to County it was certain in my head but I always held out a hope in my heart that we would somehow escape.

It's not a horrendous failure these players are nowhere near the required standard for the top division and that is saying something.

Who would be your proffered choice mate?

So, that's it? He talks a good game?

I would have been far happier if Ogren had stayed over for a week or so and spoke to 5-10 candidates and see what their vision for the club is and how they would take us forward short term and long term, what style of football they'd play, who they'd sign etc etc. Now that Tony Asghar is no longer Sporting Director there would have been far more Managers willing to work at Tannadice.

Instead Ogren has appointed Goodwin after a brief two hour chat. It smacks of 'ach, he'll do i suppose', just as Courts and Fox's appointments did. It's this attitude at the club which see's us in the mud.

As for who would i have wanted, i think a lot of the candidates i put in the poll above were better options.

Robbie Neilson - Won the Championship twice, finished 3rd with Hearts
Callum Davidson - Won Scottish Cup + League Cup with St.J
Neil Lennon - Won Championship with Hibs and countless trophies with Celtic
Billy Dodds - Playing good football at Inverness and led them to Cup Final (could still win it)
Gary Bowyer - Won Championship with Dundee. Got Blackpool promoted.

Goodwin maybe 'talks a good game' but i see very little he has actually done in management so far that makes me think he was the outstanding candidate for the job.

27/5/2023 10:59 pm  #15

It's all about recruitment really.
It's been said before but better a shite manager with good players rather than a good manager with shite players.

28/5/2023 8:15 am  #16

That is about it,I'm afraid, clearly ain't got a great track record but again I think he talks a good game. Wither he gets a team on the park to reflect that, well time will tell.

The options above Bowyer and Neilson would fracture our support, Davidson had a freak season during Covid and since hasn't exactly been great.

Lennon i don't think would be interested.

28/5/2023 10:11 am  #17

Davidson and Bowyer would’ve been horrendous choices. St. Johnstone fans were begging for Davidson to get the bullet for last 18 months of his time in charge. Played horrible eye-bleeding football and flirted with relegation for most of his time there. Bowyer only just got Dundee over the line in probably the worst Championship in recent memory.

I would’ve spoken to other candidates first too, but it is what it is. I have a few concerns about JG,  particularly his ability to organise a defence, but that could also be more down to personnel than him. The Aberdeen defence that’s been so solid since he left has Pollock and MacDonald in it who have by all accounts been excellent for them, while Goodwin had to deal with that donkey Stewart who I’d imagine Goodwin would admit was a very poor signing. With us, I’m not really too sure if anyone could’ve sorted that defence with Mulgrew who is completely finished as a professional footballer, Edwards who has completely chucked it since the start of the season, Montrose/Forfar level fullbacks in Freeman, McMann & Smith and perhaps worst of all, a keeper who seems to just have the Benny Hill theme tune playing in his head non-stop.

On that, I’m willing to give Goodwin the benefit of the doubt, because the amount of goals we have conceded from just absolutely crazy individual errors you just can’t legislate for.

Goodwin has the benefit of knowing the squad and who needs to go. A new manager might come in with the attitude of giving everybody a chance before making his mind up on players, which isn’t what he need. Goodwin showed himself to be ruthless at Aberdeen, he wasn’t afraid to bullet a load of the experienced players up there. Scott Brown, Considine, Ramirez and a good few more were all pretty quickly given the chop, which is exactly what a large chunk of this squad needs.

I also have a lot of faith that Goodwin will massively improve our recruitment, which is ultimately the main thing in football. His father-in-law is Mick Oliver who done all of Levein’s scouting for him while he was with us. He’s the guy responsible for bringing Gomis, Swanson, Buaben, Daly etc. to us. That’s something to give us a bit of hope IMO.

Last edited by JerryDungle (28/5/2023 10:52 am)

28/5/2023 7:04 pm  #18

JerryDungle - that pretty much sums up where I'm at.

29/5/2023 9:43 am  #19

Maybe he didn't have a lot of choice, but I think it's a good sign that Goodwin has so quickly staked his future on getting us back up at the first go.  He was not responsible for the squad he inherited and he did make some positive difference but ultimately couldn't make anything of that shit defence.

It doesn't surprise me however that Ogren has again gone for the easy option.  He just isn't very good at this.  Fingers crossed Goodwin does actually allow him to cull and rebuild this squad.  That is however a 2 year programme.  There are boys in the squad who are not good enough for the Prem, but who should be able to do a job for a year in the Championship.  If they have the right attitude then keep them on.  That doesn't go for anyone in the defence over the age of 24 however.  First job for Goodwin is a keeper and 2 centre halfs who know this league.

29/5/2023 9:59 am  #20

Finn Seemann wrote:

Maybe he didn't have a lot of choice, but I think it's a good sign that Goodwin has so quickly staked his future on getting us back up at the first go.  He was not responsible for the squad he inherited and he did make some positive difference but ultimately couldn't make anything of that shit defence.

It doesn't surprise me however that Ogren has again gone for the easy option.  He just isn't very good at this.  Fingers crossed Goodwin does actually allow him to cull and rebuild this squad.  That is however a 2 year programme.  There are boys in the squad who are not good enough for the Prem, but who should be able to do a job for a year in the Championship.  If they have the right attitude then keep them on.  That doesn't go for anyone in the defence over the age of 24 however.  First job for Goodwin is a keeper and 2 centre halfs who know this league.

Coll Donaldson anyone? 🤣🤣

29/5/2023 12:03 pm  #21

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Whilst he genuinely couldn't have been any worse than what we have got already, there is a prerequisite that they are actually footballers.

29/5/2023 1:48 pm  #22

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Whilst he genuinely couldn't have been any worse than what we have got already, there is a prerequisite that they are actually footballers.

Wish that had been in effect when we signed that fucking fake goalie

29/5/2023 3:59 pm  #23

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Wish that had been in effect when we signed that fucking fake goalie

Unfortunately, that wasn't a prerequisite under the Fat Charlatan.  Not just the keeper (albeit he is probably the most obvious).

Board footera