Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01/3/2023 5:54 pm  #51

Re: New Manager Thread

KdyArab wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Whether Goodwin will be the answer is debatable.
I would also lay the same amount of doubt around Levein.
Both were sacked by their previous employers.
Goodwin 4weeks ago Levein 4yrs ago.
If Levein was not here before (13yrs ago ) he would not be in the conversation.

Agreed. Wasn’t really getting the love in for Levein over the past few days just as I don’t get the absolute seethe regarding Goodwin. Every appointment is a gamble and this is no different. Goodwin will get my backing until 8pm on Saturday then I reserve the right to call him a grey haired arsehole who I want nowhere near the club.

He done an abysmal job with the sheep, they were in freefall before he got punted.

I'm in agreement with you about Levein.  Goodwin imo has done nothing to merit getting the job. But it's win win for him. He keeps us up he'll get the job permanently more than likely. If we go down he can say it was already a lost cause when he took the job.

Last edited by Rick Dagless (01/3/2023 5:55 pm)

01/3/2023 6:06 pm  #52

Not 100% happy but a win in Saturday against those kuntz will help.

01/3/2023 6:11 pm  #53

Rick Dagless wrote:

KdyArab wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Whether Goodwin will be the answer is debatable.
I would also lay the same amount of doubt around Levein.
Both were sacked by their previous employers.
Goodwin 4weeks ago Levein 4yrs ago.
If Levein was not here before (13yrs ago ) he would not be in the conversation.

Agreed. Wasn’t really getting the love in for Levein over the past few days just as I don’t get the absolute seethe regarding Goodwin. Every appointment is a gamble and this is no different. Goodwin will get my backing until 8pm on Saturday then I reserve the right to call him a grey haired arsehole who I want nowhere near the club.

He done an abysmal job with the sheep, they were in freefall before he got punted.

I'm in agreement with you about Levein.  Goodwin imo has done nothing to merit getting the job. But it's win win for him. He keeps us up he'll get the job permanently more than likely. If we go down he can say it was already a lost cause when he took the job.

I’m not delighted with the appointment but talk of boycotts and other OTT reactions I’m seeing elsewhere are a bit unnecessary.

It does piss me off that it is the same names getting linked all the time with jobs up here. Someone needs to show a bit of initiative and think outside the box at some point.

01/3/2023 6:20 pm  #54

KdyArab wrote:

Rick Dagless wrote:

KdyArab wrote:

I’m not delighted with the appointment but talk of boycotts and other OTT reactions I’m seeing elsewhere are a bit unnecessary.

It does piss me off that it is the same names getting linked all the time with jobs up here. Someone needs to show a bit of initiative and think outside the box at some point.

For me it's just disappointing more than anything else. After the good news of Fox and Asghar leaving it just seems like the club have made a massive backward step with Goodwin.

Like you I'm fed up with the same names getting brought up. I mean Yogi Hughes has been getting mentioned for almost every managerial outwith the old firm for what seems like forever now.

01/3/2023 6:23 pm  #55

The only thing that's stopping me from topping myself at this point is the fact that nothing has been confirmed officially by the club.

01/3/2023 8:24 pm  #56

Not happy about this however he’ll be determined to get it right after the shit show at Sheepshaggers.

Did well previously at St Mirren and Alloa. So good luck Jim, you will need it.

Plus at least it’s not Yogi .

01/3/2023 9:09 pm  #57

Goodwin official

01/3/2023 9:26 pm  #58

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/7745/JIM-GOODWIN-APPOINTED-DUNDEE-UNITED-MANAGER.html

12 games to save our premiership status, bottom of the league, SD has wrapped it in, talk of a takeover, fans disconnected from the club and players not trying a leg.

This guy sticks his hand up for a 3 month deal roughly a month after his team got pumped off several times and also embarrassed after a defeat from a semi pro team in the cup.

He is either mad or has a rather large set of balls.

For all the talk of CL, I was never convinced he would return and said so earlier on this thread. All managerial appointments are a gamble but this one looks like a Hail Mary.

We can debate everything that is right or wrong at the club at present but we need to stay up, we really need to stay up. Fuck going back down there again, fuck that. 

To stay up we need to back this guy, what choice do we have. We all have our doubts about this set of players and deep down no doubt Goodwin has also but we are going to have to back the both to get us out of this crater that Ashgar/Ogden/Fox and others have gotten us into.

I will give Goodwin a fair crack at the job and I’ve no doubt most of us will, hopefully a couple of fresh voices can make a difference.

Welcome to the club Jim, you are going to fucking need it.

01/3/2023 9:54 pm  #59

Apparently the deal nearly fell through because United offered Goodwin 12 games and he thought it was an offer from the compliance officer.

Most of my disappointment is because I had felt like we were about to get Levein.

If I'm being honest, I'd have taken Goodwin when he was at St. Mirren so maybe Aberdeen just wasn't the situation for him, and he'll get the job done now. Plus we've been crying out for a horrible bastard of a defensive midfielder. Just didn't expect it to be in the manager's chair. 

01/3/2023 9:59 pm  #60

I'm not impressed.  I hope that I am wrong.

01/3/2023 10:05 pm  #61

Canadian Arab wrote:

Apparently the deal nearly fell through because United offered Goodwin 12 games and he thought it was an offer from the compliance officer.

Most of my disappointment is because I had felt like we were about to get Levein.

If I'm being honest, I'd have taken Goodwin when he was at St. Mirren so maybe Aberdeen just wasn't the situation for him, and he'll get the job done now. Plus we've been crying out for a horrible bastard of a defensive midfielder. Just didn't expect it to be in the manager's chair. 

I heard CL the other week at the Gardyne Theatre and he made it clear that there are people currently employed that he couldn’t work with. Anyway all of this is irrelevant now, if CL wanted to help us he would be here.

The biggest concern with Goodwin is the length of time he has had out the game, is it long enough to reflect on where he went wrong? I am not so sure.

As you say if we can get half the fight he had as a player it will be an improvement.

01/3/2023 10:42 pm  #62

He gets my backing. If he can get us 10th or above, that'll do for me.

01/3/2023 10:48 pm  #63

Precarious position we're in dictated immediate appointment.

Lets hope we get bounce.

... but, to me, another journeyman joins the ranks.  Tbf there's umpteen of them above us and he's a massive improvement.
Got to get behind him, no Plan B.

Would have preferred no comments from Luigi Capustrano on appointment. Another chancer, get rid.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (01/3/2023 11:01 pm)

01/3/2023 11:21 pm  #64

I didn't think it was possible to be as unenthusiastic about a managerial appointment after Fox, but United have managed to do it. Obviously he'll get the backing but the apathy has came right back after this appointment.

I'm not impressed with his Aberdeen record and I disliked him as a player. He wasn't a shit houser like Lennon he was just a bully that assaulted a number of our youth players over the years during games. Ended Scott Severins career as well.

Maybe he will sort out the dressing room, but I can't see it given how it ended for him up the road.

The only positive for me is that it's a deal until the end of the season. When the club can offload the losers and deadwood in our squad and rebuild.

01/3/2023 11:34 pm  #65

Got everything crossed for this to be a success

Good luck Jim, have my full backing

02/3/2023 12:58 am  #66

Think he made too many changes to quickly at Aberdeen and lost the backbone of a team.  At least he's got that here  

02/3/2023 1:47 am  #67

KdyArab wrote:

Goodwin will get my backing until 8pm on Saturday then I reserve the right to call him a grey haired arsehole who I want nowhere near the club.

Is that what he gets to prove himself?  One game??  FFS, give the guy a chance, eh?

02/3/2023 10:33 am  #68

Like most, Goodwin would not be my choice but we just need to get behind him now.  Lets face it, he has to be an upgrade on Fox.... right?  Let's hope that with a point to prove and some humility he can learn from the mistakes he made at Aberdeen.

Perhaps being a fire-fighter is more suited to him than having a load of money to spunk on players like he did up there?

02/3/2023 10:35 am  #69

orcajun wrote:

KdyArab wrote:

Goodwin will get my backing until 8pm on Saturday then I reserve the right to call him a grey haired arsehole who I want nowhere near the club.

Is that what he gets to prove himself?  One game??  FFS, give the guy a chance, eh?

Pretty sure this was a joke about football being fickle.

Likewise, I've no confidence in the appointment but if we win on Saturday then I reserve the right to hail Goodwin as a sensational choice and the right man for the job.

Last edited by Morphman (02/3/2023 10:35 am)

02/3/2023 10:40 am  #70

Let me start by saying I'm underwhelmed at the Goodwin choice after what was a very brief period of delight at the departure of the Fat Controller and the noise around dilution of Ogren's control. 
Key for Dundee United this season is that we get the boardroom mess sorted out and have a sound leadership team for next year.  I'm concerned that has gone all quiet and it is clear from the Goodwin announcement that we are still firmly in the Asghar set up, but without the charlatan himself.  Yes, that is more important than the league we are in next year!
However, after sleeping on it, I'm warming to the idea of Goodwin but only because sometimes two wrongs do make a right.  We are a total basket case.  Who in their right mind wants to come in when there is bedlam in the boardroom, an utter farce of a squad on the training ground and impending relegation?  I suspect Levein walked away on re-assurances beyond this season and control matters.  The latter I understand, the former I have less sympathy - we need someone to come in and save us/prove themselves or go.  Goodwin has agreed to that.
Goodwin, who seems generally unlikable (nothing wrong with that - Jim McLean wasn't exactly likable), is at very low ebb, just like us.  However he could have slunk off into the background for a few months and probably come back in to another lower level premier or higher championship team after licking his wounds.  He hasn't, he has put it all out there again and has arguably risked any credibility he has left to come and fight for us.
I think he has a very hard job to do and that failure is more likely than not.  If that comes to pass he gets jettisoned and we look to building a squad to come back up.  Better than having given the task to someone who we'd have to stick with if we go down.  Goodwin has bet everything on keeping us up and he is therefore bound to be extremely motivated.
As I say, two wrongs sometimes make a right and given who isn't going to come, who we couldn't afford and the other no-hopers who are eternally available, given this is until the end of the season I think we might just about have done the best we can.  That doesn't exonerate those who have got us into this mess (at least Ogren now seems to understand he ultimately was the problem), but maybe they've stumbled on the right man for the job this time?
Goodwin will get my support.

02/3/2023 11:18 am  #71

Finn Seemann wrote:

Let me start by saying I'm underwhelmed at the Goodwin choice after what was a very brief period of delight at the departure of the Fat Controller and the noise around dilution of Ogren's control. 
Key for Dundee United this season is that we get the boardroom mess sorted out and have a sound leadership team for next year.  I'm concerned that has gone all quiet and it is clear from the Goodwin announcement that we are still firmly in the Asghar set up, but without the charlatan himself.  Yes, that is more important than the league we are in next year!
However, after sleeping on it, I'm warming to the idea of Goodwin but only because sometimes two wrongs do make a right.  We are a total basket case.  Who in their right mind wants to come in when there is bedlam in the boardroom, an utter farce of a squad on the training ground and impending relegation?  I suspect Levein walked away on re-assurances beyond this season and control matters.  The latter I understand, the former I have less sympathy - we need someone to come in and save us/prove themselves or go.  Goodwin has agreed to that.
Goodwin, who seems generally unlikable (nothing wrong with that - Jim McLean wasn't exactly likable), is at very low ebb, just like us.  However he could have slunk off into the background for a few months and probably come back in to another lower level premier or higher championship team after licking his wounds.  He hasn't, he has put it all out there again and has arguably risked any credibility he has left to come and fight for us.
I think he has a very hard job to do and that failure is more likely than not.  If that comes to pass he gets jettisoned and we look to building a squad to come back up.  Better than having given the task to someone who we'd have to stick with if we go down.  Goodwin has bet everything on keeping us up and he is therefore bound to be extremely motivated.
As I say, two wrongs sometimes make a right and given who isn't going to come, who we couldn't afford and the other no-hopers who are eternally available, given this is until the end of the season I think we might just about have done the best we can.  That doesn't exonerate those who have got us into this mess (at least Ogren now seems to understand he ultimately was the problem), but maybe they've stumbled on the right man for the job this time?
Goodwin will get my support.

Pretty much sums up my opinion, totally agree this is as much a gamble for Goodwin as it is for us. 

We weren't just sleepwalking into the Championship, we were on a rocket whoring towards it, so IF he can turn us round and keep us up then brilliant, if not then we have the option to re-set in the summer with a new manager. 

I also think if there is a take-over going to happen then they can come in and clear the slate at that point and if CL is their option then they don't have to start by paying off another manager. 

Good luck Jim, hope you can do this.

02/3/2023 1:38 pm  #72

Welcome Jim,
If we don't win enough games to stay up after having 3 different mangers this season then it says more about the players.
After reading Finn's post I'm feeling more optimistic today. Think I got caught up in all the new board, Craig coming back etc talk and was feeling a little deflated when the new manager was announced.

02/3/2023 1:54 pm  #73

Had a few days to think about this...

Living in sheep ville, I maybe have more appreciation of the issues with Goodwin at aberdeen.

Prior to aberdeen. He was working with teams who ran on effort and desire. At aberdeen, he very early called out tye players for lack of effort which killed him. He then was given a huge transfer budget which he had never had before in his management career. Again, he was calling out players for their desire. I'd also say the players lacked a bit of backbone - sometimes they were great but when the going got tough, his team didn't get going.

Hopefully, he has learned from his mistakes. I'm sure mulgrew the rat will not take well to being publicly called out and won't think twice at throwing another manager under the bus.

If he can foster an everybody hates us and we don't care style attitude, we could be OK...if he alienates players, we are screwed

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

02/3/2023 2:25 pm  #74

Tangy wrote:

Living in sheep ville, I maybe have more appreciation of the issues with Goodwin at aberdeen.

Prior to aberdeen. He was working with teams who ran on effort and desire. At aberdeen, he very early called out tye players for lack of effort which killed him. He then was given a huge transfer budget which he had never had before in his management career. Again, he was calling out players for their desire. I'd also say the players lacked a bit of backbone - sometimes they were great but when the going got tough, his team didn't get going.

Hopefully, he has learned from his mistakes. I'm sure mulgrew the rat will not take well to being publicly called out and won't think twice at throwing another manager under the bus.

If he can foster an everybody hates us and we don't care style attitude, we could be OK...if he alienates players, we are screwed

Our players lack effort and desire though, doesn't really bode well does it?

02/3/2023 2:28 pm  #75

Tangy wrote:

I think this is right.  The first question for any player that will be around in August is to ask himself  'do I want Goodwin to manage us next year?'  To the extent that enough of them say 'no', he's done before he is started (given the players have already downed tools to get rid of two managers).  I am not saying they all have to say 'yes' either, but growing a mutual understanding and shared goal with a view to putting this season behind us and thinking about the next one is vital.  There will also be a number of players that don't have contracts next year and are currently playing at their peak.  If Goodwin can keep us up and help them get an extension then he might just find a shared driver that he can benefit from too.

Despite it being clear that he must have said the right things to the interviewers to get hired so quickly I am still left with the fear that the interviewers don't know their arse from their elbow and they have fallen for fluff again.  But Goodwin has generally done well until Aberdeen (whose fans' expectation levels have not been tempered by 4 years in the fizzy pop league) rightly emptied him.

It's all on Jim - good luck son!

Board footera