Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/2/2023 12:29 am  #1

Tomorrow mornings AGM

Public protest organised for outside the stadium at 10.30am.

AGM starts at 11AM.

21/2/2023 4:14 am  #2

Re: Tomorrow mornings AGM

Down with this sort of thing!

21/2/2023 8:48 am  #3

After being on the picket line recently due to the cuts at the University, I don't mind standing in all sorts of weather for what I believe in. 

I'll head along! 

21/2/2023 10:04 am  #4

It will be like everything else when it comes to so called protests with Utd. Half-arsed with only a handful of people showing up. Would go myself but work commitments mean I can’t. I hope I’m wrong though and fair play to the people who do go along.

21/2/2023 10:48 am  #5

Anyone actually believe they will address concerns at the AGM with any detail or honesty or just make platitude statements that mean nothing and just frustrate the fans even more?

21/2/2023 11:24 am  #6

Ogren won't be here for much longer.

21/2/2023 3:33 pm  #7

After reading main points from the AGM can I just say Ogren out and hopefully soon cos we are fucked.

Last edited by KdyArab (21/2/2023 3:34 pm)

21/2/2023 3:39 pm  #8

Ogren had a chance today to do the right thing, but he's either got his arse half way out the door anyway or is even more stupid than we countenanced previously.  I was willing to give him a chance, but no more.  Asghar Out, Ogren Out.  We've hit that point of no return.  Asghar has brought us a rich thicko and proceeded to pull the wool over his eyes further while royally f***ing up our football club.  I feel sick.

People thought McNamara was bad...

Last edited by Finn Seemann (21/2/2023 3:41 pm)

21/2/2023 3:44 pm  #9

I’ve not posted for years on here but recent events pull you back in. I’m absolutely amazed that no one has seen that Ogren has been as culpable as Asghar for months now.

I can’t blame him. He’s out a lot of money in. Neilson, Covid, court cases etc has meant his outlay far exceeded what he expected. But now he’s had enough. He started with the best of intentions but ultimately he was in it for himself and will do what’s right for himself - not us.

Asghar’s dealings have been short sighted on the recruitment front and that’s caused all sorts of issues. I think he done a decent job to begin with and never understood the over the top hate towards him for what on the whole was a half decent job - up to a point in time.

Recently, it’s clear as day he is running the club to the orders of Ogren. Tony is a puppet and the fall guy whilst simultaneously doing a poor job for what he is responsible for.

The narrative that Ogren is some rich, daft yank being led up the garden path is insulting to a self made millionaire. He knows exactly what he’s doing

21/2/2023 3:45 pm  #10

FFS  , concerning to hear this.

Where can we read the latest shite then lads ?

edit, this seems the jist of it then...

- No plans to change the manager or sporting director - Ogrens will not be putting any more funds in - “Tony’s my man”

Last edited by TangerineDream (21/2/2023 4:02 pm)

21/2/2023 3:54 pm  #11

Lilley01 wrote:

I’ve not posted for years on here but recent events pull you back in. I’m absolutely amazed that no one has seen that Ogren has been as culpable as Asghar for months now.

I can’t blame him. He’s out a lot of money in. Neilson, Covid, court cases etc has meant his outlay far exceeded what he expected. But now he’s had enough. He started with the best of intentions but ultimately he was in it for himself and will do what’s right for himself - not us.

Asghar’s dealings have been short sighted on the recruitment front and that’s caused all sorts of issues. I think he done a decent job to begin with and never understood the over the top hate towards him for what on the whole was a half decent job - up to a point in time.

Recently, it’s clear as day he is running the club to the orders of Ogren. Tony is a puppet and the fall guy whilst simultaneously doing a poor job for what he is responsible for.

The narrative that Ogren is some rich, daft yank being led up the garden path is insulting to a self made millionaire. He knows exactly what he’s doing

Take it the last point aimed at my comment.  His parents started the business in '64.  I'm willing to guess that they made it and not him.  He's sold it and is swanning around buying 'assets' he doesn't understand - he's more like the Snake than you think (although at least Thompson knew he was making no money in football!).  I'll stick with my assessment.

21/2/2023 4:02 pm  #12

It’s not aimed at anyone specifically, it’s aimed at everyone who only sees a problem with TA and not MO. I didn’t even see your comment whilst I was typing tbh.

Stick with your assessment

Last edited by Lilley01 (21/2/2023 4:02 pm)

21/2/2023 4:04 pm  #13

Let's wait for the minutes of the AGM before indulging in wild speculation about what was/wasn't said.

21/2/2023 4:14 pm  #14

Lilley01 wrote:

It’s not aimed at anyone specifically, it’s aimed at everyone who only sees a problem with TA and not MO. I didn’t even see your comment whilst I was typing tbh.

Stick with your assessment

Ah, no probs.  I think the main issue is TA.  I'd like to think that the benevolent, if slightly duped, Yank could still pull us around, but he's either in to deep (financially) and can't change it or he really does believe that the sun shines out of the rather large backside of the charlatan.  For me the benefit of doubt has been lost today.  Unless of course the minutes are amended to say that Tony is packing his bags...

21/2/2023 4:17 pm  #15

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Let's wait for the minutes of the AGM before indulging in wild speculation about what was/wasn't said.

Presumably the snippets we are hearing are from those who attended?  Maybe the minutes will say something else?  Which either will mean they are 'doctored' or people are lying?

Quite the accusation...

21/2/2023 4:20 pm  #16

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Or we could listen to people who were actually there. Arabdownsouth was right about you, you clown.

21/2/2023 4:28 pm  #17

Lilley01 wrote:

You are not alone in you disdain and suspicion of Mark Ogren, friend.

21/2/2023 5:08 pm  #18

Lilley01 wrote:

I can’t blame him. He’s out a lot of money in. Neilson, Covid, court cases etc has meant his outlay far exceeded what he expected.

See this is part of the narrative where i really start asking questions and doubt the line we are being spun.

It seems to be a pretty much open secret that Ogren has apparently spent 13M on Utd since he took over.

I have to ask, on what exactly? Say he bought the club (and all it's assets) for 5M. Where has the other 8M went and how come we are so skint considering -

Record season ticket sales, each season
Record merchandise sales, each season
League placement money
UEFA competition money
TV money
Endless sponsorship deals money
Selling players left, right and centre (Scott Banks, Lawrence Shankland, Kerr Smith, Louis Appere, Jamie Robson, Jeando Fuchs, Trevor Carson, Nicky Clark, Rory MacLeod)
The Harry Souttar 3M
The SNP £1.2M interest free loan
Compo for Robbie Neilson
Compo for Tam Courts
DUSF Six figure Loans x2

ETC

It doesn't add up. 

21/2/2023 5:25 pm  #19

Don’t disagree with you. Also the cloak and dagger insurance pay out from Covid to be added to that list too.

I don’t think we can under estimate the cost of our turnover to wages ratio being banked on being in the premiership only for Covid to hit so that will account for a significant chunk. Paying off Ross, buying Watt. Huge wages for watt, McGrath, fletcher, levitt. Costs of stadium and other infrastructure improvements. It will all quickly add up but does it add up to the amount you mention….!?

21/2/2023 5:30 pm  #20

Lilley01 wrote:

Don’t disagree with you. Also the cloak and dagger insurance pay out from Covid to be added to that list too.

I don’t think we can under estimate the cost of our turnover to wages ratio being banked on being in the premiership only for Covid to hit so that will account for a significant chunk. Paying off Ross, buying Watt. Huge wages for watt, McGrath, fletcher, levitt. Costs of stadium and other infrastructure improvements. It will all quickly add up but does it add up to the amount you mention….!?

I have to be careful what i say, but i think some very colourful accounting is taking place.

One thing is for sure. We should never, ever again trust anyone who says they want to make money off the back of Dundee United FC. You think we would all have learned after Thompson.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

21/2/2023 5:45 pm  #21

Very concerning, what I'm reading in this thread.

I think Ogren is your typical cut-throat US businessman who, maybe for reasons of vanity, got himself involved in a market that he really doesn't know much about and his major source of advice has been someone who looks to be taking him for a ride. It could have worked for him if he had someone in charge at the club who he could trust and who knew what they were doing when it comes to running a football club. But he doesn't have someone like that. Initially, he probably thought that Asghar was the perfect person to work with. He may well have since realised that he has been duped (the timing of his change of mindset seems to coincide roughly with the sacking of Jack Ross, IMO) and he's now looking to get back as much as he can of what he put into the club before getting out. He doesn't need to remove Asghar or Fox to do that.

If he does sell off our most valuable assets and walk away having broken even, the only people who will have put money into the club over the past few years will have been the fans, through season tickets etc. and also through significant investment from the DUSF.

If this is what Ogren's doing, it wouldn't surprise me. He always said he was in it for the money. That alone would make anyone question his judgement. Back when he first got involved, it came to light that he had donated to Trump's first presidential campaign (which he could be forgiven for), but he also donated to Trump's second campaign at a point when the whole world knew what sort of an individual Trump is. I publicly questioned his judgement and character at that point and got absolute pelters from Arabs on twitter who wanted to know what Ogren's political views had to do with running United. It has nothing to do with his political views. It's about the morality and ethics of giving money to someone like Trump.

I'd like our club back. I'd like the Ogrens and Asghar gone, ASAP.

21/2/2023 5:48 pm  #22

Just arrived in my e-mail, from ArabTrust, who attended the AGM:

"Unfortunately only 1 question was permitted to be asked by those
shareholders that were in attendance.

The question that was raised to Mark Ogren is as follows:

"Many fans believe that the Ogrens are blindly backing Tony Asghar. How
is his performance measured and what are the consequences of failing
to meet performance standards? Why have the Ogrens given so much power
to Tony Asghar within the club when he is unaccountable as not being an
official officer of the football club"

Mark Ogren responded by saying that Tony Asghar is accountable to him
and Tony is "my man".

Other points that came out of the meeting are as follows:

* The club are not planning on making any changes (to the Head
Coach/Sporting Directors roles)
* Mark Ogren has had no conversation about selling the club and remains
very committed to the club. If/when he does sell the club he will be
particular about who he sells it to.
* Should the club be relegated Mark Ogren guarantees that we will come
straight back up.
* Mark Ogren stated that he needs the fans to spend their money on
season tickets, club shop, commercial dept etc as he is no longer
putting money into the club
* The club are in debt to Mark Ogren and the Government (from the
interest free loan provided during covid) to the tune of 13 million.
* The debt is twice the turnover.
* Wage to turnover ratio is 71%"

21/2/2023 5:58 pm  #23

FC United of Dundee anyone?

I don't feel any glee in being right, but I have been saying for a very long time that Asghar/Ogren would be the end of our club and it now seems somewhat inevitable.  Gutted.

Last edited by Finn Seemann (21/2/2023 6:02 pm)

21/2/2023 6:05 pm  #24

He’s very committed but isn’t putting in any more money…..!?

21/2/2023 6:07 pm  #25

What is clear is that Ogren wants out, so the rumours of the Club up for sale are genuine. He is putting no more money in, which now means we are heavily reliant on the Club selling players. If we get relegated, I hope we have relegation clauses in contracts...He has and is trying to remove directors that don't always dance to his tune. 

Ogren tenure will have been seen as mixed. He got us promoted and our youth academy back, but at what cost?- debt, and lots of it. 

On another forum, one poster has done digging about TA sports company and who is also part of it.....Very interesting read https://www.eastfootball.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45460-Ogren-and-Asghar/page70 
"Revolution are bleeding the club dry' was one of there last comments on the matter." 

Dundee United Football Club is no more; it's purely an extension of that company now. With that, I'm firmly in the camp of Ogren out. Sell to the supporters and take TA with you and leave. His comments at the AGM were laughable. 

£13million in debt to MO & Government backed loan. No one in their right mind will take that on. He either stays and strips the club to the bones  or he takes a loss, writes off debts and jets off into the sunset. 

What a sad state of affairs.  Community-owned Club, please. 

Who owns Tannadice & Gussie?

Last edited by UniDundee (21/2/2023 7:12 pm)

Board footera