Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/9/2022 2:05 pm  #126

Re: Who do you want as next Utd Manager?

Fantastic Mr Fox

23/9/2022 2:27 pm  #127

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Once again the Sporting Director gets the blame for everything.

I for one will be waiting to see how this appointment goes before calling for anyone's head. I respect those who have a differing view.

It's a pity the previous stringent interview process hadn't identified Fox before we had ignored him last time around and appointed the wrong manager (after a stringent interview process, as I recall it).  That error has cost us dearly.  Unless the Sporting Dictator was pleading with MO not to appoint JR (which wasn't the case) then it is pretty clear who is to blame for failing to promote the 'ideal' candidate last time around.  To try to paint this as anything other than another mess is pointless.  Clearly the Sporting Dictator engineered Courts departure (which to be fair nobody was losing sleep over) to appoint Ross only to find that Charlie et al didn't fancy him sticking around after all.  Having splurged the budget on compensation to Ross we had little choice but to go with Fox.  To be fair to him, he has steadied the ship, but that may just because the players have decided to put some effort in.  So there we have it we've got a Head Coach who is very much secondary to the Sporting Dictator and most likely also behind the senior players in the pecking order.  Where Stevie Crawford comes into that who knows.  Fox better be decent - who do we turn to if he fails?  Davie Bowman?

23/9/2022 2:35 pm  #128

Disaster written all over it this appointment

Can only see this ending one way

Good luck Liam, I think you’ll need it

23/9/2022 3:24 pm  #129

Was going to be risky no matter who we appointed given the selection.

I will get behind the new management team and hope they can deliver.

Also glad they will be appointing another coach to the first team, maybe now the coaches can spend time 'coaching' the younger players into becoming first team regulars.

Has to be the final throw of the dice for Asghar this time:
- the model we have implemented is his (jurys still out for me, we seem no better at bringing through youth than we were before),
- the head coaches appointed have been submitted to the board for approval by him (our turnover is too high by any standards, even excusing managers getting better offers)
- The recruitment has not been great, missed out on players and we seem to still be recruiting and negotiating once the season has started.  It seems to happen every year,
- Player retention is not great, case in point Lewis Neilson (also went very quiet on the compensation front)  

These are all areas that come under the sporting director as far as I am aware, how many more chances to get it right can we afford to give before looking for a new sporting director

23/9/2022 3:35 pm  #130

Johnny the Fox meets Tony the Weed.

23/9/2022 4:34 pm  #131

The club is a pathetic shell of its former self nowadays, it’s exists purely to satisfy the ego trip of a  thin skinned, bullying control freak, bankrolled by a clueless naive American who’s being taken for a ride, and has been since the get-go.

I hope Fox fails, miserably, and exposes the fat controller to Ogren, cause this type of situation canna go on much longer.

It’s a total embarrassment, and is quite frankly insulting to the United fans, that the board consider Fox, a perennial number 2, who’s only foray into management was an unmitigated disaster at Cowden fucking beath, to be the best man for the job.

In a normal world, that’s unthinkable, he’d have been laughed out the door without as much as an interview. But this is Asghar’s world, where junior football managers, and Cowdenbeath failures are deemed as the best candidates for the job, while experienced football managers with track records of relative success like Derek McInnes and Craig Levein wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole. And why??? So as to not upset the fat controller by saying no to him dictating everything that happens at the club. Cowdenbeath managers and junior football managers won’t answer him back because they feel grateful just to have the opportunity to manage a club like Dundee United.

Last edited by JerryDungle (23/9/2022 6:22 pm)

23/9/2022 4:35 pm  #132

I just find myself more and more apathetic with anything Utd do, as the months roll by, sadly.

I genuinely couldn't really care less if we play in the Premiership, Championship or wherever. As long as the club is ambitious, and has entertaining the supporters and trying to win football matches as it's core belief.

The current model for the club is to make money for a very small group of people behind the scenes at Tannadice, and success is secondary. If the two go hand in hand, good. But the former seems very much their raison d'etre. Whether that be by selling off young talent like Kerr Smith, or trying to make a fast buck on players like Louis Appere or Nicky Clark, to announcing seemingly endless 'exciting business partnerships'.

It all feels (to me) rather deceitful, spurious and an imitation of what the powers at be, portray the club to be, and what i knew it to be growing up. It all feels false and contrived.

But i suppose that is a by product of the club not having any real Dundee United people at the very heart of the club.

23/9/2022 5:33 pm  #133

“Tactical plan to allow Dundee Utd to return to our long term strategy”. Tony Asghar

So is that an admission that JR’s appointment was a departure from our long term strategy? If that is the case, Asghar abandoned our long term strategy to appease the fans with JR’s appointment.

In the words of Maximus Decimus Meridius to Comitus “Your time for glorifying yourself will soon be over”

23/9/2022 6:58 pm  #134

Big T could sign up Alex ferguson with mourinho as his number 2 and still take a bunch of rubbish for it.

Now, I don't understand the delay - it's baffling but some of the nonsense above is just bananas.

Everything is big Tony's fault.... if only Charlie mulgrew and Tony watt got half the garbage he gets we'd be in a better place. Tony and ogren signed and funded the signings of good quality players. My only criticism is that we didn't sign a defensive midfielder to replace butch. The performance against az is one if the finest performances I've seen at Tannadice in a long time.

Then something happened behind the scenes (rumoured to be mulgrew taking the cream puff at ross's change of direction and every one of then downed tools and embarrassed every one of us. The shame that's been brought on the club is not Tony's. It's the players.

Sure he's got his faults but if we continue to hound him, the club will never move forward.

Guess we always need a pantomime baddy. David Southern, ST (justified to be fair) and now Tony.

Who's next if we get rid of Tony?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

23/9/2022 7:46 pm  #135

When it comes to appointing managers it's always a gamble, whether the fans think its a good appointment or not will have no bearing on how Fox does in the roll. I'll leave the dramatic statements to others and only say to Fox the same as I've said to the other 27 UTD managers I've seen do the job.
Good luck Mr Fox.

23/9/2022 8:23 pm  #136

Stillliving wrote:

When it comes to appointing managers it's always a gamble, whether the fans think its a good appointment or not will have no bearing on how Fox does in the roll. I'll leave the dramatic statements to others and only say to Fox the same as I've said to the other 27 UTD managers I've seen do the job.
Good luck Mr Fox.

Did you call all of them Mr Fox? 😋

24/9/2022 12:39 am  #137

Tangy wrote:

Big T could sign up Alex ferguson with mourinho as his number 2 and still take a bunch of rubbish for it.

Now, I don't understand the delay - it's baffling but some of the nonsense above is just bananas.

Everything is big Tony's fault.... if only Charlie mulgrew and Tony watt got half the garbage he gets we'd be in a better place. Tony and ogren signed and funded the signings of good quality players. My only criticism is that we didn't sign a defensive midfielder to replace butch. The performance against az is one if the finest performances I've seen at Tannadice in a long time.

Then something happened behind the scenes (rumoured to be mulgrew taking the cream puff at ross's change of direction and every one of then downed tools and embarrassed every one of us. The shame that's been brought on the club is not Tony's. It's the players.

Sure he's got his faults but if we continue to hound him, the club will never move forward.

Guess we always need a pantomime baddy. David Southern, ST (justified to be fair) and now Tony.

The players copped plenty of criticism though. Not just on here, but on every Utd Forum and on every social media outlet.

Me personally i will never forget the performances of some in the games at Tynecastle and against Celtic at Tannadice. There were a few who chucked it. 100%

I won't forget that.

24/9/2022 1:34 am  #138

Tangy wrote:

Agree with this totally

24/9/2022 8:04 am  #139

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tangy wrote:

Agree with this totally

Put my signature to the above

24/9/2022 1:35 pm  #140

Tangy wrote:

The bit in bold is too simplistic.  I have never considered anybody at United not to have Dundee United's best interests at heart.  Even with ST, unlike many, in my view whilst he wanted to get out, he was still loyal to his old man's undoubted love of the club and ultimately was a fan.  Ogren - I don't know what motivates him.  He's certainly proud to wear the badge and has put his money where his mouth is.  We have to welcome that.  Asghar in my view is only interested in himself.  If a bigger club was to come knocking he'd be off pronto (why do you think he still works the speaking circuit?).  Trouble is nobody else would have him as he's a charlatan and only because we have a perfectly well meaning but naive absent owner who seems to think the sun shine out of his proverbial, we are stuck with him.  Nobody of any standing will want to work with him so we'll just have to hope that the Courts and Foxes of this world (the door will keep spinning) can do a half decent turn with the half hand of cards that Tony will deal them.  Like others, I have never been so demoralised as a united fan.  I hoped I was wrong that Ross's signing and European football was the precursor to being in the place we should be again, but was kidding myself.  I know that as long as Tony is involved in our club it just won't be what it could be as he simply does not love it as we do and is not professional enough to do as we need without that love.

I am actually going to try to leave commenting on Tony as he wouldn't listen to the fans and Ogren seems deaf and blind to reality too.  It is a waste of time and he probably quite likes the attention.  I'll not be back at Tannadice whilst he's there.

24/9/2022 2:02 pm  #141

Finn Seemann wrote:

Tangy wrote:

The bit in bold is too simplistic.  I have never considered anybody at United not to have Dundee United's best interests at heart.  Even with ST, unlike many, in my view whilst he wanted to get out, he was still loyal to his old man's undoubted love of the club and ultimately was a fan.  Ogren - I don't know what motivates him.  He's certainly proud to wear the badge and has put his money where his mouth is.  We have to welcome that.  Asghar in my view is only interested in himself.  If a bigger club was to come knocking he'd be off pronto (why do you think he still works the speaking circuit?).  Trouble is nobody else would have him as he's a charlatan and only because we have a perfectly well meaning but naive absent owner who seems to think the sun shine out of his proverbial, we are stuck with him.  Nobody of any standing will want to work with him so we'll just have to hope that the Courts and Foxes of this world (the door will keep spinning) can do a half decent turn with the half hand of cards that Tony will deal them.  Like others, I have never been so demoralised as a united fan.  I hoped I was wrong that Ross's signing and European football was the precursor to being in the place we should be again, but was kidding myself.  I know that as long as Tony is involved in our club it just won't be what it could be as he simply does not love it as we do and is not professional enough to do as we need without that love.

I am actually going to try to leave commenting on Tony as he wouldn't listen to the fans and Ogren seems deaf and blind to reality too.  It is a waste of time and he probably quite likes the attention.  I'll not be back at Tannadice whilst he's there.

You're accepting that TA has Uniteds best interests at heart but because you don't like/agree with the way he operates you're not going back to Tannadice. Your hatred of one person trumps your love for UTD. Can't get my head round that one.

Again you repeat that multi millionaire)MO is naive. I look forward to you buying UTD and using your superior business acumen to turn UTD round.

You've never been so demoralised as a UTD fan. We've just spend 4years in the championship watching Barton, Rabbitsch,Loemba, (controversial use of the Oxford comma) ect.  Yes we've had a very disappointing first 7 games but this is the worst you've ever felt  pure hyperbole.

24/9/2022 7:20 pm  #142

AlwaysUnited wrote:

I for one will be waiting to see how this appointment goes before calling for anyone's head. I respect those who have a differing view.

He’s very quick to take all the plaudits when things are going well, so he can take his share of the blame when it’s not, imo.

24/9/2022 7:32 pm  #143

MockChop wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

He’s very quick to take all the plaudits when things are going well, so he can take his share of the blame when it’s not, imo.

Is he though? I honestly can't remember seeing anything that suggests this. Of course if you have something that shows me to be wrong then I stand corrected.

25/9/2022 12:13 am  #144

Not happy but wish him well and just got to get on with it.

If and how much will he be a Mulgrew proxy ?

I don't know how Tax law works when they talk about running a thing as a Tax Loss ?
- Doesnae make sense to me to run a business at a loss, but then what do I know.
- seems to me that Mr O is weighing this up as an option - he's going the right way about it.

Tony's a tit 100% as far as club and future are concerned.
As far as his monthly package is concerned he's 100% laughing all the way to the bank.
- On you Mr O

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (25/9/2022 12:20 am)

25/9/2022 8:48 pm  #145

Stillliving wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Tangy wrote:

You're accepting that TA has Uniteds best interests at heart but because you don't like/agree with the way he operates you're not going back to Tannadice. Your hatred of one person trumps your love for UTD. Can't get my head round that one.

Again you repeat that multi millionaire)MO is naive. I look forward to you buying UTD and using your superior business acumen to turn UTD round.

You've never been so demoralised as a UTD fan. We've just spend 4years in the championship watching Barton, Rabbitsch,Loemba, (controversial use of the Oxford comma) ect.  Yes we've had a very disappointing first 7 games but this is the worst you've ever felt  pure hyperbole.

Read what I posted again. I’m definitely not saying TA had United’s best interests at heart!  I’m not going to Tannadice by way of protesting about TA. I will go and see them away from home.

There is also absolutely no rule that says that because you have been successful in one field you are guaranteed to be successful in another. I’ve no idea how MO made his money,  maybe he inherited the business like ST?  As for me, I’m doing fine as it happens. Probably not quite enough to buy United, but if I did I certainly wouldn’t be investing thinking I was going to get any real return. I’m not naive…

As for how I feel, just being genuine. Think others are the same. My biggest fear is not on the park, it is more the fear that the charlatan will send us into insolvency. That wasn’t a risk when we were in the Championship or at least I was always confident that we’d get back to where we belong. I don’t have that confidence at the moment.

25/9/2022 8:50 pm  #146

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Not happy but wish him well and just got to get on with it.

If and how much will he be a Mulgrew proxy ?

I don't know how Tax law works when they talk about running a thing as a Tax Loss ?
- Doesnae make sense to me to run a business at a loss, but then what do I know.
- seems to me that Mr O is weighing this up as an option - he's going the right way about it.

Tony's a tit 100% as far as club and future are concerned.
As far as his monthly package is concerned he's 100% laughing all the way to the bank.
- On you Mr O

I think MO would need to have taxable corporate profits in the UK for tax losses to be relevant.  I don’t think he has many other profitable operations in the UK.

Board footera