Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/8/2022 11:38 am  #926

Re: Summer Transfer Window

Good signing but Ross binning the academy by blocking pathways ?

03/8/2022 11:42 am  #927

dufc2019 wrote:

Up to the youngsters to up their game and take their chance - which they will definitely get due to number of matches and injuries.  None have thus far been able to displace Harkes - maybe Ross is right?

03/8/2022 11:43 am  #928

dufc2019 wrote:

I don't think there's an attacking midfielder in the academy who has the ability to step up to be fair.

I think more of then will go out on loan but we will still see young lads in the team. Cudjoe for instance got v little gametime last season and this season, Ross hasn't been shy to throw him in.

I'd love to see mochrie and glass playing a lot for united but if they aren't ready, it doesn't do then or us any favours.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

03/8/2022 3:06 pm  #929

'pathway' is the biggest bullshit word in football.

the pathway is there for every single player at the club. whether they are 16 or 36 and it's really simple:

be good at football and you'll get a chance

same as its always been. 

03/8/2022 3:28 pm  #930

I have been and still are critical of the length of time that's its took to get new additions through the door.

I must though applaud this signing even if it's still only for a year hopefully the lad can push on like Dylan and will want to stay longer.

A quality player and a match winner, something we have missed for a wee while.

Just a bit of cover at Center half and I think that is our business done barring a few bench warmers going out on loan.

03/8/2022 4:59 pm  #931

CCX2 2010 wrote:

I have been and still are critical of the length of time that's its took to get new additions through the door.

I must though applaud this signing even if it's still only for a year hopefully the lad can push on like Dylan and will want to stay longer.

Just a bit of cover at Center half and I think that is our business done barring a few bench warmers going out on loan.

Why are you still critical? It obviously takes time to get the right players.

03/8/2022 5:18 pm  #932

Arabdownsouth wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

So true.

We honestly can't have it both ways. We couldn't have got some of these signings in earlier with our budget and profile. We could have got inferior players in earlier.

The Tangerine Jersey no longer shrinks for inferior players though. Not now.

Last edited by AlwaysUnited (03/8/2022 5:18 pm)

03/8/2022 10:02 pm  #933

Arabdownsouth wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

I just think that the guys should have been integrated into the squad earlier.

It's that simple.

Totally get that it can't be easy getting players in the door but I would have liked to have seen it done quicker in order to address the imbalance of the squad.

Are you honestly not concerned that the players haven't had any time to gel?

03/8/2022 10:08 pm  #934

Just watched McGrath DUTV interview asked about signing/club/JR replies      " .... you can see the trajectory that the clubs been on in the past couple of years and hopefully be part of that going forward ."
So refreshing to hear a new signing talking about the clubs future , don't get me wrong but continually hearing new signings talking about our great history gets a bit cliched.    So, great, love it.
Other thing of interest, when he talks about "be part of that going forward" , sounds like a strong hint he'll be around longer than a year.
Another Levitt ?
- Hope so .

03/8/2022 10:12 pm  #935

The Summer Window looking a lot better now than it was 3 weeks ago.  

McGrath should be a very good signing (hopefully), two footed, athletic, skillfull and can score and create goals.

Definitely need a 'ball winner' at DCM now and another Striker. One who has pace (maybe Anaku?). Could also do with cover at Centre Half. Get those three in and i would commend the window.

Can see Chalmers and Mochrie departing this window (the latter on loan). Maybe Rory MacLeod too, again on loan (though that would depend on another Striker being signed first, as we are still light in that department).

03/8/2022 10:17 pm  #936

dufc2019 wrote:

Maybe he doesn't particularly rate any of them.

Only one i have seen who is first team ready is Ross Graham tbh. 

Meekison 1st team squad material, as is Cudjoe. But wouldn't be starters week in week out for me (yet).

04/8/2022 9:04 am  #937

Tek wrote:

The Summer Window looking a lot better now than it was 3 weeks ago.  

McGrath should be a very good signing (hopefully), two footed, athletic, skillfull and can score and create goals.

Definitely need a 'ball winner' at DCM now and another Striker. One who has pace (maybe Anaku?). Could also do with cover at Centre Half. Get those three in and i would commend the window.

Can see Chalmers and Mochrie departing this window (the latter on loan). Maybe Rory MacLeod too, again on loan (though that would depend on another Striker being signed first, as we are still light in that department).

We don't have a defensive midfielder as such.  The only two on the books are possibly Mulgrew but he's not going to be fit enough week in week out to play that role and in any case seems favoured for CH ahead of Graham and Smith who seems to be the favoured right back.  We desperately need someone who considers DCM as their position.

I'd be happy enough if we took the Ugandan striker as we are also desperately light up top.  Fletcher is unlikely to be fit for the whole season which would again leave us with Clark leading the line and (whilst I like Clark's commitment) he's not a line leader.

Tek is right that we also need CH cover.  Losing Neilson and Butcher leaves us very light in that department too.  Again Mulgrew won't play every game and some games Ross is likely to fancy 3 CHs (and we've only got three).  Fingers crossed that no-one comes in for Edwards...

So you can commend this window all you like (and I do think it has been the best in years for adding quality) but we do need at least two of those three gaps filled before we can call it competent.

I also don't buy the 'we have had to play a waiting game' arguments.  We've known about the UECL opportunity since the end of last season, it was stated to be top priority, but still we go in to tonight with players not cleared to play, possibly only having had one or two training sessions with the team and generally unlikely to gel on the park.  Maybe it was the best that we could do (which I doubt) but it can't be anything other than a failure to meet the goal, whichever way you dress it up.

All that said, I hope we give this tie a right good go.  If we can get through it, and the arguably easier next tie then it really could be a huge breakthrough.  Whatever I think of Asghar, luck seems to have been with him and maybe he could pull off the impossible and get us to the group stages.

04/8/2022 11:33 am  #938

United Arab Emarite wrote:

A lot of contradictions going about.
A good window but not a great window.
Well done Tony or you should have got a move on Tony?

Balance the issue maybe?
12 of Tek's 25 squad members are midfielders.
Only 4 are forwards & one of them is a laddie.
Of our 7 defenders 4 are full backs & just 3 CH's.

Might we need to pack the midfield?

Bit in bold is the key.  We seem to have bolstered a midfield which is the area where we have most 'talent' coming through (leaving discussions as to whether they are good enough to one side).  We are very light in the forward department and the only real strikers are a laddie and a past international at the wrong end of his career.  We are almost as light in defence.

I am not clear which iPad app would suggest this was the perfect squad shape.  I am sure if you asked Ross he will still be wanting in another three players as mentioned above.

Saying all that, if we had got the players we have now got 2 weeks earlier and we do plug the gaps before the window closes it would have been/will be an exemplary window.  I do have the fear re. an Edwards departure though.

05/8/2022 8:15 am  #939

I know money talks etc but where does Edwards go to rival anything like last night....??
Also it is becoming obvious that part of being able to get Levitt in was the world cup, him playing every week really does give this kid a huge chance of something that is very rare to a Welshman....

05/8/2022 8:44 am  #940

AlonsMosely wrote:

I know money talks etc but where does Edwards go to rival anything like last night....??
Also it is becoming obvious that part of being able to get Levitt in was the world cup, him playing every week really does give this kid a huge chance of something that is very rare to a Welshman....

Said the same thing about Ryan to my mate after the game last night, hope it's enough to keep him.

05/8/2022 3:02 pm  #941

Mochrie joins Dunfermline on loan for the season

05/8/2022 5:21 pm  #942

I have to say that following  last night's game I was a little bit less concerned about a CDM.  Levitt, Sibbald and Harkes actually dealt with Alkmaar pretty competently.  They appeared to constantly switch around and consequently generally speaking managed the midfield.  That wasn't the case when Sibbald went off and McGrath came on.  The latter maybe not match fit and definitely more of a forward thinking player (albeit a key part in the goal).  Similarly Harkes couldn't fill Sibbald's boots in that deeper position - just doesn't have the touch of Sibbald or Levitt.  That change did therefore cede more possession to Alkmaar between half way and the box towards the end (some quite big gaps), but luckily the defence held out.  So whilst less worried I do think CDM is still a key area where we are going to be up against a more physical/less passing opposition (i.e. the majority of the Scottish League).

CH cover still stands, but to be fair to the club I think Edwards and Mulgrew (with young Graham as back up) must be about the best we've had in that area at one time for a few decades.

Similarly something else with pace upfront is also required.

I'd be happy enough if the Ugandan guys are thought good enough to plug the striking and CH gaps, but whilst not as big a concern as before CDM remains the must.

All that said, what we did have on the park + McGrath looked the best team that I have seen at Tannadice for some time and if they can keep up anything like that level through the season we'll definitely be at the right end of the table (barring injuries).  

Last edited by Finn Seemann (05/8/2022 5:22 pm)

09/8/2022 5:42 pm  #943

I see today we've lost out on a potential 20-goal striker to a 3rd tier Australian side

Who?

09/8/2022 7:39 pm  #944

Arabdownsouth wrote:

I see today we've lost out on a potential 20-goal striker to a 3rd tier Australian side

Who?

He who shall not be named Ads...

Nope, still lost 🤣

Googled it and found out

So long as he remembers its down under and not under age he should be ok 😋

Last edited by Arabdownsouth (09/8/2022 7:50 pm)

17/8/2022 8:07 am  #945

Was reliably informed that we had considered our business done.  That may be being re-assessed, but that also likely means more out before any in.

17/8/2022 8:07 am  #946

Finn Seemann wrote:

Was reliably informed that we had considered our business done.  That may be being re-assessed, but that also likely means more out before any in.

Worrying given the still obvious lack of a ball winner.

Oops quoted rather than edited!  

Last edited by Finn Seemann (17/8/2022 8:08 am)

17/8/2022 8:46 am  #947

Finn Seemann wrote:

Yip. I would be surprised if we brought in anyone else.

17/8/2022 11:18 am  #948

I think we still need to strengthen in the center back area and also a hardman (if you are still allowed to say that) in the middle.

More than anything though we need time, we signed far too late and the guys are still learning how to play with each other.

That falls squarely at the feet of the recruitment department and results reflect it in both the preseason and the three league games.

The late accusistions have clearly played a part to is being pumped in Europe and a poor of a start to the league campaign albeit we are are only three games in the performances, sadly have been very predictable.

17/8/2022 11:35 am  #949

Tin Hat on but is Gogic still a free agent?  Might be an option as a defensive midfielder that can also play and Ross has signed him before?

The timing of our signings is a frustration but I wonder how much of it had to do with JR deciding not to move on some of the targets TC set and how much of it was our leadership team not moving quick enough to secure signings.

17/8/2022 4:54 pm  #950

Still wondering if this tie-in with Fulham will produce any players we need on loan.!

Board footera