Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/7/2020 3:13 pm  #1

06/7/2020 3:34 pm  #2

Re: Club Statement

Fuck Hearts, Fuck Partick Thistle. I'll donate as much as I can to help the club through this. I'm sure many other Arabs will too.

06/7/2020 4:01 pm  #3

Have the SPFL basically said you’re on your own here lads? It was there decision, all we done was actually win games of football. Unlike fucking hearts and partick thistle. It was their resolution, I can not understand how it can cost us considerable money.

Not sure what I think of the statement. Crowdfunding seems a bit much. I’d maybe rather a whip round from the other clubs of £5k each or something as it’s their money in the line too.

Another very divisive move here. Not criticising the club but certainly heightens the future rivalry

06/7/2020 4:16 pm  #4

I'd be letting the SPFL argue the case at arbitration, which surely will be the same as our argument. Don't waste any more cash.

Last edited by PatReilly (06/7/2020 4:17 pm)

06/7/2020 4:30 pm  #5

I said last week that would we had to pay legal fees (albeit some disagreed). Legal fees are costly and I'm surprised we never planned for 'worst case' scenario option. Financially as a business you plan for worst case scenario and this should have been costed in. Should we pay for it or let Hearts/SPFL fight it out themselves? 

Do we not trust the SPFL or are the documents that are being released give Hearts the upper hand and we are worried? 

Who knows! I'll put in once crowd funding has started, not much granted - I have my own family to look after and I've bought 3 season tickets already. 

I can't see many clubs helping out, all clubs are skint and everyone will look after themselves. 

06/7/2020 4:50 pm  #6

I think the club or supporters should have organised some form of appeal for donations to a Legal Defence Fund before now. Better late than never though.
I'm in for whatever I can spare. Could someone post the link once they hear of the Fund being up and running. It's up to us as fans to get behind the team. Hearts fans have done it big time so should we.

06/7/2020 5:09 pm  #7

UniDundee wrote:

I said last week that would we had to pay legal fees (albeit some disagreed). 

Last week>

UniDundee wrote:

-Hearts/Partick to pay 50% of legal costs. 

06/7/2020 5:12 pm  #8

This whole thing is a complete and utter fucking shambles

06/7/2020 5:44 pm  #9

PatReilly wrote:

UniDundee wrote:

Last week>

UniDundee wrote:

Yip Hearts/Partick to pay for 50% of the SPFL case. Remember there are two different cases, despite how many people telling you Pat. 

06/7/2020 5:44 pm  #10

SuperMario wrote:

This whole thing is a complete and utter fucking shambles

Scottish football mate. 

06/7/2020 7:17 pm  #11

Utd publicly moaning about the legal fee's rising to 150k. Only because we (idiotically) decided to respond to the court action.

We should have stayed out of it and only  made the decision to go to court when/if we had something to fight for as a club. 

We should have instead just let the SPFL defend the SPFL's position (which is of course the same as ours). No idea why we have been (poorly) advised to get involved in all this.

Now we are front and centre in the whole thing and have today went very public on that. The Statement (for me) is a mess.

In one hand we have the 'begging bowl' out, which frankly looks a bit pathetic and hypocritical given our very publicised recruitment of Mellon and the 120k compo attached.

On the other hand we are saying 'hey, we might just actually jump out of this legal process now'. Too bloody late. We're in it now.

06/7/2020 7:21 pm  #12

Tek wrote:

Utd publicly moaning about the legal fee's rising to 150k. Only because we (idiotically) decided to respond to the court action.

We should have stayed out of it and only  made the decision to go to court when/if we had something to fight for as a club. 

We should have instead just let the SPFL defend the SPFL's position (which is of course the same as ours). No idea why we have been (poorly) advised to get involved in all this.

Now we are front and centre in the whole thing and have today went very public on that. The Statement (for me) is a mess.

In one hand we have the 'begging bowl' out, which frankly looks a bit pathetic and hypocritical given our very publicised recruitment of Mellon and the 120k compo attached.

In the other hand we are saying 'hey, we might just actually jump out of this legal process now'. Too bloody late. We're in it now.

The compo should be irrelevant, it's only using what we received from Hearts for Neilson.

06/7/2020 7:46 pm  #13

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

In the other hand we are saying 'hey, we might just actually jump out of this legal process now'. Too bloody late. We're in it now.

The compo should be irrelevant, it's only using what we received from Hearts for Neilson.

Won't look that way to fans of other clubs being asked to donate money towards us.

06/7/2020 8:32 pm  #14

A potential outcome here is that all the clubs in the SPFL will lose out on a massive chunk of the prize money if Hearts and Partick are awarded compensation. It is well within the interests of the other clubs to help out. United, Raith and Cove shouldnt have to defend themselves here, but do we all, hand on heart, trust the SPFL lawyers to act in the best interests of the clubs? Do we fuck.

As for Utd getting involved in the court proceedings, if they hadnt gotten involved and it had all gone tits up, the club would have had got absolute pelters and then had to stump even more to begin our own legal battle. There is no sure fire way to defend ourselves here, but I back that the club know a lot more than myself on these matters so I trust their judgement this time.

And if other fans etc dont want to help out then thats fine, we cant just put on hold all of our summer plans (new manager, signings etc) because we have been dragged into something that should be nothing to do with us. Its not a case of us just asking them to give money to us . Its donating money to defend the position of the clubs that Hearts and Partick are trying to claim £10m from.

06/7/2020 8:51 pm  #15

Well said LEK

06/7/2020 9:00 pm  #16

LarsErikKjell wrote:

A potential outcome here is that all the clubs in the SPFL will lose out on a massive chunk of the prize money if Hearts and Partick are awarded compensation. It is well within the interests of the other clubs to help out. United, Raith and Cove shouldnt have to defend themselves here, but do we all, hand on heart, trust the SPFL lawyers to act in the best interests of the clubs? Do we fuck.

As for Utd getting involved in the court proceedings, if they hadnt gotten involved and it had all gone tits up, the club would have had got absolute pelters and then had to stump even more to begin our own legal battle. There is no sure fire way to defend ourselves here, but I back that the club know a lot more than myself on these matters so I trust their judgement this time.

And if other fans etc dont want to help out then thats fine, we cant just put on hold all of our summer plans (new manager, signings etc) because we have been dragged into something that should be nothing to do with us. Its not a case of us just asking them to give money to us . Its donating money to defend the position of the clubs that Hearts and Partick are trying to claim £10m from.

The Hearts/Partick compo claim is an issue for the SPFL to defend (on behalf of the other member clubs). 

Dundee United should not have to act as the 'moral arbiters' of Scottish Football, afterall.

The only issue for us as a club to consider from a legal point of view is 'will we be a Premiership club next season'? The answer is = undeniably YES.

It was in the SPFL's own articles of the vote that a YES vote would result in the promotion/s of Utd, Raith and Cove. Therefore the vote is legally binding. 

Hearts/Partick couldn't even now argue on the legality of said vote as they themselves as part of the process cast their own votes.

We have no need to be part of the 'fight'.

06/7/2020 9:13 pm  #17

3rd July 2020

UniDundee wrote:

From now, I won't interact with you and I ask you to ignore me - we therefore have to break up, heart breaking I know, but its for the best.   

6th July 2020

UniDundee wrote:

PatReilly wrote:

UniDundee wrote:

Last week>

UniDundee wrote:

Yip Hearts/Partick to pay for 50% of the SPFL case. Remember there are two different cases, despite how many people telling you Pat. 

06/7/2020 9:21 pm  #18

Repeating this in part: if a pandemic had truncated the season in 2015-2016, do you think the SPFL would have been so ham-fisted about their dealings regarding the Championship winners (Sevco) and the relegated club (Us)?

Also, if the Hearts/Thistle bid had involved Celtic not getting the top league title, and subsequently them, Sevco, Motherwell and Aberdeen being unable to qualify for Europe, would the SPFL and the sports media been as unhelpful and unsympathetic towards the three, Cove, Raith and us?

We get told by the media that the SPFL is the clubs, but it feels as though the SPFL board only has any interest in clubs if they play at Parkhead or Ibrox.

The main cause of the problems which have surfaced in the past few months reside at Hampden, all in my opinion, of course.

06/7/2020 9:44 pm  #19

Tek wrote:

LarsErikKjell wrote:

The Hearts/Partick compo claim is an issue for the SPFL to defend (on behalf of the other member clubs). 

Dundee United should not have to act as the 'moral arbiters' of Scottish Football, afterall.

The only issue for us as a club to consider from a legal point of view is 'will we be a Premiership club next season'? The answer is = undeniably YES.

It was in the SPFL's own articles of the vote that a YES vote would result in the promotion/s of Utd, Raith and Cove. Therefore the vote is legally binding. 

Hearts/Partick couldn't even now argue on the legality of said vote as they themselves as part of the process cast their own votes.

But Tek they are basing most of their legal case on trying to prove that parts of that vote were unlawful. Now I am in no doubt that we will be a premiership club next season, but if theres even a 1% chance that IF that vote was somehow found to be unlawful, and could lead to Hearts/Partick getting what they want (no promotions) then I dont think the promoted clubs had any other choice than to act.

06/7/2020 10:08 pm  #20

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Tek wrote:

LarsErikKjell wrote:

But Tek they are basing most of their legal case on trying to prove that parts of that vote were unlawful. Now I am in no doubt that we will be a premiership club next season, but if theres even a 1% chance that IF that vote was somehow found to be unlawful, and could lead to Hearts/Partick getting what they want (no promotions) then I dont think the promoted clubs had any other choice than to act.

Let them get on with it.

It's up to the SPFL to defend the legality of their voting system and it's outcome. Not Dundee United F.C.

We should only enter the 'fight' if/when we have something worth fighting for to the tune of legal fee's into 6 figures.

But we'll agree to disagree.

06/7/2020 10:34 pm  #21

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Totally agree #2

We can debate the merits of SPFL involvement + all the other should & could & mebbes till we're blue in the face -

But do we fuck trust SPFL - no.

Can we rely on legal system - no. 

Do we 101% at all stages in this utter farce have to defend ourselves - of fuckin course.

Re money - 2 other clubs have already said they'll chip in, and if we dinnae like spending it on legals - ultimately tough tit - beats the alternative.
Happy to take donations off all bar one club.

The other thing strikes me is that Court of Sessions has given clubs 28 days, I dinnae ken the legal system but I cannae see it being that simple. On the other hand Aug is firm so it'll need tae get sorted . . . Stuffed if I know 

06/7/2020 10:48 pm  #22

The more I think on this, the dafter it seems (to me) that we are paying for our own legal team. I accept LEK's point that folk would give United pelters for not using our own legal interventions if the whole situation goes tits up for us, but presently we are effectively paying twice for two sets of lawyers, contributing to the SPFL's team as well as the group DU/RR/CR have employed.

Even dafter, Hearts and Thistle too are contributing towards the legal team which is lining up against their own. What a farcical set of circumstances, summing up the tinpot nature of Scottish football governance. 

06/7/2020 10:59 pm  #23

Tek wrote:

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Tek wrote:

Let them get on with it.

It's up to the SPFL to defend the legality of their voting system and it's outcome. Not Dundee United F.C.

We should only enter the 'fight' if/when we have something worth fighting for to the tune of legal fee's into 6 figures.

But we'll agree to disagree.

👍

07/7/2020 8:52 am  #24

Tek wrote:

On the other hand we are saying 'hey, we might just actually jump out of this legal process now'. Too bloody late. We're in it now.

100% agree. Well said mate. 

07/7/2020 9:58 am  #25

Here is one point which doesn't seem to have been mentioned. If by some stretch of the imagination Hearts and Thistle were to win their case through the arbitration process (which I don't think they will) and promotion/relegation doesn't happen this season, surely United, Raith and Cove would be entitled to the same compensation (£10M) which Hearts and Partick are claiming.

Hopefully our legal representatives are all over this.

Thoughts?

Board footera