Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/7/2023 3:27 pm  #376

Re: Rebuilding United in the Championship

bordering on madness for me too.   he would be a great gamble as a wildcard assuming he's cheap and we have other stable options.  pinning our hopes on someone who has a total of 23 appearances in 5 years (!) and putting him into a physical league seems high risk.  levitt felt like an injury prone player to me too i'd agree, but he made more than 23 appearances in each of his 2 years here.  in his career moult has had 4 of 14 seasons where he has played more games than levitt did last season.

Last edited by tokyoarab (18/7/2023 3:29 pm)

18/7/2023 4:13 pm  #377

Will delete spurious rumour that is apparently nonsense

Last edited by Lilley01 (18/7/2023 4:28 pm)

18/7/2023 4:34 pm  #378

Lilley01 wrote:

Will delete spurious rumour that is apparently nonsense

Well deleted, the joys of ITK social media

18/7/2023 5:27 pm  #379

18/7/2023 5:34 pm  #380

Season worth deal, fine by me. Providing its adjacent to the league we are in.
If he hits the ground running and scores 15+ good. Get him tied up.

KTF

18/7/2023 5:42 pm  #381

GFL wrote:

Season worth deal, fine by me. Providing its adjacent to the league we are in.
If he hits the ground running and scores 15+ good. Get him tied up.

Agree, he’s only signed for one season. Let’s hope it works out for him and us.

18/7/2023 5:55 pm  #382

If Moult can keep himself off the physio’s table he’ll be a great signing for us. It’s obvious Ogren isn’t spending money anymore, so that’s as good as you’re gonna get at this level without chucking major cash at it, someone who has proven they can score goals in the past but with the caveat being that they’re hellishly injury prone.

Hopefully Goodwin’s waiting to see what opportunities fall our way later in the window, players are in quite a strong position now, but less so the longer the window goes on and clubs have their squads mostly sorted out. The fact that we have a lot of unassigned squad numbers may indicate that this is the thinking.

If Ogren is hellbent on keeping the purse-strings tight, I still maintain that Scott Allan may be a gamble worth taking. Our midfield isn’t gonna be creating anything as it stands, and Allan has more footballing ability than anyone else in this league. There’s a chance he’s finished physically, but what if he’s not? He’d cost us next to fuck all, and may still have the hunger to prove people that think he’s finished wrong. A fit Scott Allan feeding a fit Louis Moult and we go up, no question for me.

19/7/2023 11:01 am  #383

We’re fucked until Ogren sells up unfortunately. He’s lost interest in United just as he did with the Minnesota Moondogs or whatever his baseball team was.

I hoped that Goodwin was the right man for the situation we found ourselves in. Despite the relegation, I could see the reasoning behind giving him a two-year deal There were a few glimmers of hope before the split. He talked well and he was best placed to make a judgment on the players we had and the type of players we needed. But it’s starting to become apparent this ain’t what he signed up for. His body language and answers in interviews in recent weeks are very telling, he’s been sold a pup by Ogren and Cappuccino.

We’ve taken in about £350k in transfer fees this summer and probably offloaded somewhere between 30 & 40k a week off the wage bill with probably another 10k plus still to follow if we can get rid of Mulgrew, Biro, Behich & Niskanen. And I’d be shocked if the 3 guys we’ve signed permanently are on much more than a grand a week. I get that we’re in the championship and the belt must be tightened, but holy fuck, surely we can attract better than Holt or Docherty?

We need another 5 or 6 QUALITY signings or we are down here for the long haul, no ifs buts or maybes. A RB, 2 new centre halves, a playmaker in midfield, another winger and a striker.

Ogren failed to gamble in January and look what it’s cost him. If he doesn’t gamble now, we 100% won’t go up, and it is going to cost him a hell of a lot more when the club he owns has no more sellable assets, and about half the season ticket base that it has this year. He needs to think carefully about what he does in this next 6 weeks or so before the transfer window slams shut if he has any visions about getting any sort of return on his investment.

19/7/2023 11:11 am  #384

There should’ve been a call by all supporters groups to unite as one in February/March and call for supporters to not by season tickets until Ogren agreed to sell. Clearly doesn’t  give a fuck about us, that was confirmed with his relegation comments.

We need new owners and direction before it’s too late.

19/7/2023 1:04 pm  #385

RogerTheAlien wrote:

There should’ve been a call by all supporters groups to unite as one in February/March and call for supporters to not by season tickets until Ogren agreed to sell. Clearly doesn’t give a fuck about us, that was confirmed with his relegation comments.

We need new owners and direction before it’s too late.

agreed.  this is the thing with the current structure where the owner has a stated objective to make profits from the business but puts his investment on the balance sheet as a loan rather than putting the money in as equity and taking responsibility for his plan.  if he's successful he gets his money back and takes the profit.  if he isn't then he still gets his money back.  

i don't have a particular issue with the principle of making a profit - since if it were actually possible to make money in scottish football you presumably would need to have a successful, sustainable team on the park and a regular turnover of players that bigger teams want - but there needs to be responsibility in the governance structure when cretinous decisions get made.   Ogren does not strike me as a bad guy... just totally out of his depth with what he has taken on.  the relegation comments.  did he understand that when we get relegated what little value our players had goes straight down the toilet and any decent players we do have will be doing what they can to exit?  that decrease in value of Levitt and Behich alone from getting relegated would be more than what getting in a keeper and striker on 6m contracts in january would have cost.  but as it is the losses will just make their way into the Ogren loan which he'll be looking to get repaid if/when he sells up.  it stinks.

19/7/2023 7:33 pm  #386

Jack Fitzwater, ex Livingston.

Still a free agent (I think).
Right footed CH. 6ft 3. Wages would be cheap. 100 games in the Prem for Livi

I’d like to see us do this deal.

19/7/2023 8:02 pm  #387

MockChop wrote:

Jack Fitzwater, ex Livingston.

Still a free agent (I think).
Right footed CH. 6ft 3. Wages would be cheap. 100 games in the Prem for Livi

I’d like to see us do this deal.

Would be a terrific signing. He was one of the ones I outlined at the start of this thread. Whether he’d drop down to this level, I don’t know. But he’d be worth throwing a bit of money at if need be.

Whether it’s Fitzwater or someone else, we need at least one dominant centre half, preferably two. It was quite clear last night that neither of the two centre halves we’ve signed are remotely dominant.

I’m wondering now having seen them whether we’re being a bit quick in chasing Mulgrew out the door.

19/7/2023 8:21 pm  #388

Holt will be ok, but we can't rely on Denham getting up to speed or play Graham on the wrong side.

I'd be all for getting a bruiser, sending Dengham back and binning the play out from the back pish.

Get it wide, get balls in the box, and someone take a ping from 20-25 yards.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

20/7/2023 10:26 am  #389

I'd get Fitzwater in and play Denham at right back.

Too much commotion

20/7/2023 10:47 am  #390

Another strange modern fascination is that both CH must have a different dominant foot.
I'm told it's a problem to play Holt & Graham together , why?
Hearty & Narey Miller & Mcliesh Durnan & Donaldson 😀 didn't used to be an issue.

20/7/2023 1:00 pm  #391

Stillliving wrote:

Another strange modern fascination is that both CH must have a different dominant foot.
I'm told it's a problem to play Holt & Graham together , why?
Hearty & Narey Miller & Mcliesh Durnan & Donaldson 😀 didn't used to be an issue.

You had me until the last pair!! 

Good point you make, what happens when someone goes through the middle of the defence and the are both on their weaker foot!

20/7/2023 1:02 pm  #392

lifesanocean wrote:

I'd get Fitzwater in and play Denham at right back.

Denham’s slower than a week in the jail, he’d be as much/little use as Freeman is at RB

20/7/2023 1:56 pm  #393

Really don’t know what people were expecting this season. We created very little last season and the 2 players we had that were supposed to be creative Dylan and Jamie have both gone and we haven’t even attempted to replace them and signed some Championship journey men instead. I think our new no 9 can score goals at this level but whether he gets the service is another matter but I’m not holding my breath for fast free flowing football.

22/7/2023 10:05 pm  #394

So at the moment our strongest team looks something like

Walton

Grimshaw Graham Holt McMann

Sibbald Docherty Meekison

Fotheringham/Middleton Moult Watt

Not sure about Fotheringham or Middleton, could even make case for Cudjoe. Maybe Mochrie in place of Meekison or even Watt too.

22/7/2023 10:33 pm  #395

Our strongest team is imho:

Walton

Grimshaw
AN OTHER
Holt
McMann

Docherty
Sibbald

AN OTHER
Glass/Mochrie (not sure which, but it's not Meekison)
Fotheringham

Moult

Too much commotion

22/7/2023 11:52 pm  #396

LAO.

Glad it's not just me who doesn't get the Meekison hype.

23/7/2023 7:20 am  #397

Tek wrote:

LAO.

Got to bear in mind he’s just back, earlier than expected, from an ACL tear. You can see a lot of these boys have the technical ability in spades, but my god do they need to bulk up.

For the first time in their history, the fun are actually going through a period where they’re producing more first-team ready youngsters than we are. And it’s not because these boys are miles better footballers than ours are, it’s because they’re built like men as opposed to skinny wee 14 year old boys. We seem to have skipped the physicality but with these youngsters, and now that they’re getting their chance in the first team, it really shows.

23/7/2023 7:38 am  #398

JerryDungle wrote:

Tek wrote:

LAO.

Got to bear in mind he’s just back, earlier than expected, from an ACL tear. You can see a lot of these boys have the technical ability in spades, but my god do they need to bulk up.

For the first time in their history, the fun are actually going through a period where they’re producing more first-team ready youngsters than we are. And it’s not because these boys are miles better footballers than ours are, it’s because they’re built like men as opposed to skinny wee 14 year old boys. We seem to have skipped the physicality but with these youngsters, and now that they’re getting their chance in the first team, it really shows.

not sure I entirety agree with that, Cameron is about 5 ft 2 and pretty thin  but Mulligan has always been a man in a boys body.

Meekison is very slight I'll give you that and Glass is very slow and just cant get about the pitch also built like a 14 year old.

Not sure who else your talking about thou ?

24/7/2023 3:06 am  #399

Just noticed Cody Cooke's a free agent. Scored one goal in every two starts for Bath City last season, but looking for new club.

Always kept a wee eye on him after his hat-trick at Dens 3/4 years back.

Be a cheap option for a back-up Striker (which we need, Rory MacLeod too young).

24/7/2023 8:16 am  #400

pity we couldn't off load Watt for his wages we can prob get 2/3 good players, same with Mulgrew

Board footera