Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/7/2014 10:54 pm  #1

Did anybody used tae phone Utd Club Call ?

Member in the days pre-internet when you couldnae find oot any news oot of Utd unless you bought a newspaper or had a pal 'in the know'.

For a teenage Arab stuck oot in Lanarkshire the latter scenario wisnae an option.

I mind many a night phoning Utd club call tae find oot our result in a friendly versus Forfar or Brechin or tae hear how a returning player fae injury did in a reserve match,and Peter Rundo literally stringing oot every word aslong as he possibly could lol.

Must huv cost my auld man a small fortune in phone bills.

Last edited by TEK (10/7/2014 10:58 pm)

11/7/2014 1:37 am  #2

Re: Did anybody used tae phone Utd Club Call ?

Wonder when that line stopped running,  same with the tangerine and black magazine.

11/7/2014 1:56 am  #3

Tangerine and Black was a good read,quite pricey for the time right enough.

Mind the free Utd propoganda paper 'The Tangerine Times' ? lol

18/11/2014 11:11 pm  #4

Forgot about this.

Am I right in thinking there was something called the goalden club?

18/11/2014 11:52 pm  #5

european_bob wrote:

Forgot about this.

Am I right in thinking there was something called the goalden club?

Aye there was bob, a pound a week it was, i was an agent and even had blue nose and Celtic members in an auld place i worked, i had a winner every other week which enticed them in. The agent received a free ticket for every home game, all in all it was more bother than it was worth after a couple of years. You would be amazed how hard it was to get a pound of some cunts that never won plus i was already a season ticket holder so if anything i was costing the Club money by giving a ticket away to someone who may otherwise have paid in!
Best magazine/fanzine was The Final Hurdle which maybe didn't raise much for the Club but certainly raised a smile at the time with fellow arabs and blue noses across the Street. 

Hear their shout, hear their roar
They've probably had a barrel of ale and much, much more
Hooray, hooray, hooray, yeah
Over the hill went the swords of a thousand men

19/11/2014 1:50 pm  #6

I can't say I really remember Club Call, but do remember T&B and Tangerine Times. Used to try and figure out when the next copy of T&B was coming in, but they were always useless at getting it done on time and were consistantly late. Got so bad that 2 or 3 would turn up in one. Good magazine though for its time, I suppose the lower subscription caused it to cost near £5 a copy per month. Got the full collection somewhere.

Used to scour the newspapers in the sports section for any wee snippet of United related news. It was a lonely footballing existance growing up in Hamilton.

19/11/2014 2:36 pm  #7

Actually i think the free newspaper was called 'The Tannadice Times'.

I used to be quite touched Utd were giving me a free paper tbh.

Passed the odd half an hour on the bus back West.

19/11/2014 3:43 pm  #8

Yeah, it was. I was half wondering when writing but really wasn't sure. It was always handed out at Tannadice so makes sense that way.

Board footera