Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04/11/2014 12:39 am  #1

33 years ago today...

Dundee Utd 5
Borussia Monchengladbach 0

Arguably the clubs finest ever performance.

Anyone lucky enough to have been there that night?

04/11/2014 1:29 am  #2

Re: 33 years ago today...

Seen that on Arab archive earlier, that Bannan's run or was that anderlecht?

04/11/2014 1:35 am  #3

It was the game of Sir Eamonn's mazey Rodge,yes.

One of Dundee Utd's finest goals.

04/11/2014 1:48 am  #4

Seen all the footage, dad told me It all, he sounded along with that era as magnificent.

04/11/2014 8:22 am  #5

was there and sat on the dyke of the old north terracing (seggy) in front of the old man directly across fae the dug out

the greatest ever performance by utd at our home - fact

huge German club at the time they were and 2-0 down fae the first leg meant we were almost certain to go out...unbelievable performance...never forget looking over to the dug out after bannons goal and seeing wee jim jumping about like martin oneil used to dae...nae shite was total transfixed on him cause i thought he was never happy lol... ahhhhh memories

04/11/2014 9:54 am  #6

Wasn't at that game but i did have a pint and the usual chinwag with a man who played a big part in that great result (and scored at least one if I mind right) last night in my local. (He recently signed for the domino team) . I'll let you guess who he is? (sit this one out Vulture) There's also the chance of arranging a Q&A evening with this great man in the future with the help of the Administrator & Moderator if you fellas want. 

Hear their shout, hear their roar
They've probably had a barrel of ale and much, much more
Hooray, hooray, hooray, yeah
Over the hill went the swords of a thousand men

04/11/2014 11:32 am  #7

TEK wrote:

Dundee Utd 5

Eh wiz there. 

Was deffo the best I've ever seen United when you put it into perspective the calibre of the opposition. Baracleona were a bigger name but at that time Borrusia were awesome.

They were cup favourites are were totally ripped apart by a performance that included the best goal ever seen at Tannadice.

Will never forget the atmosphere that night as goal after goal wnet in - crazy stuff! 

04/11/2014 12:03 pm  #8

I was at the game. In the Bovril stand with old man. Think Milney scored 1st in the 1st half then Kirkwood. Luggy and Heggy scored in the 2nd half.

The 2 things a I remember most was that Bannans goal came only a minute or two after Heggy's, and that everybody stayed behind for ages after the final whistle.

04/11/2014 1:47 pm  #9

My dad managed to take my mum along to it while still in the middle of their honeymoon!

04/11/2014 8:36 pm  #10

St Obswell wrote:

Wasn't at that game but i did have a pint and the usual chinwag with a man who played a big part in that great result (and scored at least one if I mind right) last night in my local. (He recently signed for the domino team) . I'll let you guess who he is? (sit this one out Vulture) There's also the chance of arranging a Q&A evening with this great man in the future with the help of the Administrator & Moderator if you fellas want. 

Ralphie?

Yeah yeah Industrial Estate

04/11/2014 9:32 pm  #11

Heggie?

Too much commotion

04/11/2014 9:42 pm  #12

Let me twist his arm if i can before i post his name lads although probably not too hard to guess

Hear their shout, hear their roar
They've probably had a barrel of ale and much, much more
Hooray, hooray, hooray, yeah
Over the hill went the swords of a thousand men

04/11/2014 10:00 pm  #13

Hamiltonarab wrote:

My dad managed to take my mum along to it while still in the middle of their honeymoon!

THAT'S a man.

04/11/2014 10:29 pm  #14

TEK wrote:

Dundee Utd 5

What a night that was.

But in the good old days nights like that were common.

04/11/2014 10:36 pm  #15

Too young for that one, but the european nights in the eighties were the absolute best nights i had as a kid. Can only dream about a return to that level of success.

Board footera