Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29/9/2024 1:07 am  #26

Re: Kilmarnock away 28/09

@CCX I wasn't there, you were, but Scott Simpson on DUTV said the referee didn't whistle, he was alerted to the "foul" by the linesman. Then VAR is in his ear, he goes to the screen and awards the goal. DUTV timed the VAR delay at 3 minutes and gave the ref credit for getting it right by allowing play to continue and Sibbald to score.

In real time I thought their 3rd was offside, couldn't believe VAR gave it as on. So with our late pen maybe we got one VAR decision and lost one.

29/9/2024 1:10 am  #27

First time we've scored 3 goals in a Premiership match since 2022.

3-0 win versus County on December 28th 2022.

Hopefully we don't have to wait 21 months for the next time.

29/9/2024 1:33 am  #28

Tek wrote:

According to Dundee United Stats account on X, that is the latest goal a United side have ever scored in a 90 minute match.

What does X say? BBC listing it as 90+9 Pretty sure DUTV had it as 90+10 but I was off the sofa at that point 😄

29/9/2024 1:38 am  #29

redford_must_score wrote:

Tek wrote:

According to Dundee United Stats account on X, that is the latest goal a United side have ever scored in a 90 minute match.

What does X say? BBC listing it as 90+9 Pretty sure DUTV had it as 90+10 but I was off the sofa at that point 😄

Utd Stats have it as 99th minute.

Did add the caveat that not all goal times were listed in the distant past, but i'd be amazed if there was a later Utd goal over 90 minutes.

I think i was at the match that previously held the record.

Clydebank 1 Utd 2 - September 16th 1995

Billy McKinlay scored a penalty in the 97th minute (iirc) to spark bedlam in the away end.

29/9/2024 4:14 am  #30

A UTD side that battles to the end is exactly what I want to see.
Playing football on an old worn out carpet is exactly what I don't want to see.

29/9/2024 8:19 am  #31

redford_must_score wrote:

@CCX I wasn't there, you were, but Scott Simpson on DUTV said the referee didn't whistle, he was alerted to the "foul" by the linesman. Then VAR is in his ear, he goes to the screen and awards the goal. DUTV timed the VAR delay at 3 minutes and gave the ref credit for getting it right by allowing play to continue and Sibbald to score.

In real time I thought their 3rd was offside, couldn't believe VAR gave it as on. So with our late pen maybe we got one VAR decision and lost one.

Just watched it back RMS, he disallowed the goal on the pitch and VAR overrules the onfield decision after sending the ref to the screen.

Not to sure if it was him or the linesman but together they need to do better.

3 minutes at the time felt like an eternity, reminded me of the St Mirren game when that big lump dived at Tannadice and they took an eternity reviewing, bizarrely only to stick with thr original decision.

He actually ducks out of the way of Sibbalds shot due to poor positioning also.

29/9/2024 8:20 am  #32

Stillliving wrote:

A UTD side that battles to the end is exactly what I want to see.
Playing football on an old worn out carpet is exactly what I don't want to see.

Ditto, the reception the players got at the end will hopefully drive them on.

Fight until the very end although I noted some of our support chucked it at 3-1 down and headed for the exit.

29/9/2024 8:24 am  #33

Beardy23 wrote:

"I would have put on Kevin Holt just to hit it"

don't think you can put a sub on to take a penalty

it's no the fuckin NFL

You do whatever the fuck you like if you have a sub left to make, especially with VAR reviewing every decision and delaying the game.

Anyway it was a great conversion by our defensive linebacker after the two minute warning.

On to those Paisley Pirates.

😀

30/9/2024 8:50 am  #34

I'm a little concerned about the conversion myself.
Would the Blairgowrie Baresi gain the extra two points to take it to overtime?
Sorry, we're agreed it's not the NFL.
I was shitting myself listening to the commentary (well into Saturday evening it was too) cos I feared RG would miss.
Why is he taking it?
Ok, no Holt or Moult on the pitch but I would have preferred a colt (Miller Thomson maybe) or even if Ussain Bolt had stepped up before big Ross who I was certain was going to feel a right dolt on missing it.
Cos, no two ways about it, that kick was extremely saveable had the goalie gone the other way.
And don't go telling me that big Ross sent the goalie the wrong way, had he done it would have been an illegal penalty but that is perhaps a topic for another time.
It's the goalie who sends himself the wrong way, never the penalty taker.

However all's well that ends well & it's good to know that grass will soon be growing on Rugby Park.

01/10/2024 9:30 am  #35

Didn't think Rugby Park was all that bad.  Seating a bit tight though.

Thought we played well first half but not convinced that the Dalby/Moult partnership has a lot of legs, literally as well as metaphorically.  It was a game where we saw the best of what Goodwin is trying to do and the worst.

That 20 minute spell in the second half where we shipped three goals and did nothing to sort ourselves out was the bad.  We simply couldn't defend a cross.  Keeper needs to try to command his area far better (although not at fault for the goals).  Three Centre halfs on and we looked incapable of heading a ball at times.  Our full backs need to do better at stopping crosses.  That said, for the parts of the game we weren't imploding we were decent in defence (although they missed a few decent chances) Stephenson had a good game, as did Manny and ultimately Graham.  Gallagher looked to have taken a knock.  I thought again Ferry had a poor game by his standards.  Being generous I think we need to work on defending crosses better!!  

01/10/2024 10:26 am  #36

I thought we were decent across the middle.  Sibbald had a good game and Docherty did his thing.  Babunski was better than at Motherwell, but I think still needs to work with the alternative striking approach on the training pitch.  I thought Dalby and Moult looked OK together but they'd been figured out and were tiring pretty early in the second half and hadn't created as much as they did at Motherwell in more than twice the time.  Moult right place right time for the goal.  Feel for VDS as he never gets those tap-ins!

Here's where I don't get Goodwin.  He did nothing to halt our slide first part of the second half.  McInnes had worked out what he needed - puts on a young lad who had a roaming commission and we couldn't track him.  Wonder goal for the first, second he just breaks our line and is simply not tracked.  Clearly Dalby and Moult had run their race.  I couldn't believe Moult wasn't off in the first 4 changes when he eventually made them.  He then proceeded to leave him on for about 5 minutes when he was clearly injured and looking to come off. 

I thought the 5 who came on all played their part in turning the game.  Sevelj is a competent centre mid replacement.  VDS posed the Killie defence more issues than Dalby and Moult did.  Thomson totally committed and a great tackle to help set up the second (more on that in a minute).  Middleton also added to things - maybe not as effective as Motherwell, but seems a very good option off the bench.  I was also pleased Fotheringham got on - he added to the change in fortune.

That's twice now in two games that Goodwin's changes have brought us back into it from a losing position.  Maybe if he had made the changes earlier we might have gone on to win - or maybe we wouldn't have lost the second or third...

Finally the referee, notwithstanding positive comments above was shocking.  I don't think overly bias (although he probably merited the 'hun with a whistle' ditty), but he made some shocking decisions.  It was a foul the other way for the free-kick that led to their third.  Chopping off the second goal for the Thomson tackle was bizarre.  He seemed to have a very good view of it, let the play go on and then gave the foul when the ball hit the back of the net.  Yes we got there in the end with VAR, but if he genuinely thought it was a foul then he needs to blow it there and then.  If he wasn't sure then surely he gives the goal and then lets VAR say otherwise?  Then he gives (thankfully) one of the softest penalties I have seen with my own eyes (bar v the old firm) and VAR has to go with it.  I'd be fuming if I was a Killie fan.

Good game of football then topped off with some needless violence on the walk back to the car.  

Board footera