Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/7/2024 2:14 am  #1

Andy Murray greatest ever UK sportsman?

Recently on Talksport etc with his retirement people are saying he’s the greatest ever British sportsperson. While he’s done extremely well I think there’s a good few before him. Maybe with tennis and the whole Wimbledon thing people are more aware of him? If you have a quick check he’s not even the most successful British tennis player—Virginia Wade won more. Then there’s Jason Kenny with 7 Olympic gold medals, Chris Hoy not far behind that. Ronnie O’Sullivan whose records are off the scale. Phil Taylor who (I think) competed in 14 world championship finals in a row not to mention how many he won in total. Joe Calzaghe with an unbeaten record. I personally think it could be argued all of those surpass Murray with just 3 grand slams and 2 Olympic gold. 

Last edited by japanarab (05/7/2024 2:17 am)

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

05/7/2024 9:47 am  #2

Re: Andy Murray greatest ever UK sportsman?

Agree with that.

Regardless of whether it's classed as a sport or not, you have to factor in longevity, domination of the sport, titles won, so I'd include Stephen Hendry in the conversation.

He's totally Dundee United in the 80's, made a very good career for himself, but he could and should have won more big titles.

Sometimes the opponent is just too good, but as we only too painfully know, a lot of the time we shat the bed.

Also it's Tennis, big hairy arsed scots, wearing kilts in the winter, hard as nails stuff and our best ever sportsman is in a game women play in frilly dresses mid picnic on Downton Abbey.

I'm not having it

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

05/7/2024 6:40 pm  #3

I think Murray is in with a good shout for being Britain's greatest ever Sports person.

You have to factor in that in his era he was up against the three most successful male tennis players of all-time.

Novak Djokovic (24 titles)
Rafael Nadal (22 titles)
Roger Federer (20 titles)

To have even been able to live with the 3 GOATS of tennis, never mind being able to win majors himself during this period has to put him in the mix for Greatest Ever British Sportsman.

06/7/2024 3:17 am  #4

Tek wrote:

I think Murray is in with a good shout for being Britain's greatest ever Sports person.

You have to factor in that in his era he was up against the three most successful male tennis players of all-time.

Novak Djokovic (24 titles)
Rafael Nadal (22 titles)
Roger Federer (20 titles)

To have even been able to live with the 3 GOATS of tennis, never mind being able to win majors himself during this period has to put him in the mix for Greatest Ever British Sportsman.

Fair enough but Stan Wawrinka has won the same amount of Grand Slams as Murray during the same period and nobody mentions him as one of the greatest. Ronnie O'Sullivan becoming World Champion 21 years apart has to be one the greatest acheivements for me.

06/7/2024 3:35 am  #5

japanarab wrote:

Fair enough but Stan Wawrinka has won the same amount of Grand Slams as Murray during the same period and nobody mentions him as one of the greatest. 

I wasn't saying Murray was one of the greatest ever tennis players though, he's clearly miles behind the three i mentioned in terms of success (as is Wawrinka).

But that doesn't mean he's not in the running to be one of Britain's best sports people.

06/7/2024 4:02 am  #6

Tek wrote:

japanarab wrote:

Fair enough but Stan Wawrinka has won the same amount of Grand Slams as Murray during the same period and nobody mentions him as one of the greatest. 

I wasn't saying Murray was one of the greatest ever tennis players though, he's clearly miles behind the three i mentioned in terms of success (as is Wawrinka).

But that doesn't mean he's not in the running to be one of Britain's best sports people.

I was more thinking like surely the greatest UK sportsperson ever has acheived more than someone like Stan Wawrinka. All subjective of course and people will have differing opinions and reasons. Some might even have a shout for someone like Eric Lidell or even Lennox Lewis. Then you've the lesser known sports where you have guys like Joey Dunlop who have (imo) acheived more on the international stage. I like a good stat and O'Sullivan and Taylor's numbers are insane and will probably never be surpassed--in my lifetime at least.

06/7/2024 4:12 pm  #7

japanarab wrote:

Tek wrote:

japanarab wrote:

I was more thinking like surely the greatest UK sportsperson ever has acheived more than someone like Stan Wawrinka. All subjective of course and people will have differing opinions and reasons. Some might even have a shout for someone like Eric Lidell or even Lennox Lewis. Then you've the lesser known sports where you have guys like Joey Dunlop who have (imo) acheived more on the international stage. I like a good stat and O'Sullivan and Taylor's numbers are insane and will probably never be surpassed--in my lifetime at least.

Eric Liddel is a good shout 

To win the Mens 100M race in the Olympics is pretty much the zenith of sporting achievement and excellence.

Very proud that a Scotsman has achieved that.

07/7/2024 6:59 pm  #8

Sebastian Coe. Apparently very arrogant an an ex Tory MP so he usually gets ignored in these conversations.
However World 800m record holder and No1 in the world for the best part of a decade.

07/7/2024 7:25 pm  #9

Tek wrote:

japanarab wrote:

Tek wrote:

To win the Mens 100M race in the Olympics is pretty much the zenith of sporting achievement and excellence.

I think that’s why I would vote for Liddell. He DIDN’T win the 100m, Harold Abrahams did. Remember the final was on the Sunday? He won the 400m, which was his third best event. From memory, he not only won it, but, won it with an Olympic? World? record, which stood for 23 years. Even the great Michael Johnston didn’t achieve that.

Furthermore, Liddell was a Scotland rugby wing.

I would agree, from an athletic perspective, Coe deserves a mention (the 800m was his less favoured event). Colin Jackson too, because he is only 5’11 and was up against McKoy, Florian Schwartzkopf, Nehamiar. Finally Daley Thompson for winning Olympics twice particularly in LA against Hingson and Siggi Wentz.

I’ll shut up about athletics, now.

07/7/2024 10:07 pm  #10

Daley Thompson for having one of the best Spectrum games and his Mum being a Shed boy should be in the conversation, agreed.

A bit of googling suggests problematic views, thoughts and maybe not a nice person.

So i'm changing his mum to a Derry wanker and he can fuck off.

Last edited by David_Blunkett (07/7/2024 10:07 pm)

07/7/2024 11:41 pm  #11

David_Blunkett wrote:

Daley Thompson for having one of the best Spectrum games and his Mum being a Shed boy should be in the conversation, agreed.

A bit of googling suggests problematic views, thoughts and maybe not a nice person.

Daley Thompson's Mum, Dundonian?

09/7/2024 12:26 am  #12

Tek wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Daley Thompson's Mum, Dundonian?

Yes. Actually forgot about him. Who can forget him and Brian Jacks on Superstars? 

Here’s a good article on Liddell from the BBC today. Just realized it’s almost 100 years to the day since his Olympic triumph. More than just an athlete, an absolute giant of a human being. 

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20240705-olympics-hero-eric-liddell-and-the-real-story-behind-chariots-of-fire

09/7/2024 12:24 pm  #13

The other (more recent) contender for me, would be Mo Farrar. Double golds (5000, 10,000) in 2012 Olympics, then repeated the same feat in 2016 Olympics. Six World Championship golds, against some of the best distance athletes of their generation.

At a time when it is politically expedient to sound tough on illegal immigration, let’s not forget this was an 8 year old orphan smuggled from Somalia to the UK for the purpose of working in domestic servitude.

Last edited by Macbonzo (09/7/2024 12:25 pm)

09/7/2024 7:43 pm  #14

Farrah is a very good shout.

So I suppose you have to look at other Olympians as well, the boat rowing cunts must be up there, but we can't have the greatest ever being a Tory, especially their poster boy being one of the 2014 "Know your place Jocks!" wanksocks, so fuck them.

Last edited by David_Blunkett (09/7/2024 7:46 pm)

09/7/2024 7:56 pm  #15

Tek wrote:

Allan Wells!

09/7/2024 8:08 pm  #16

Road cyclists typically have a career "at the top" - the very few that get there, at least - of a maximum of two years. In an absolutely brutal sport, Bradley Wiggins was the world's best in the general classification for a little longer than that. And Mark Cavendish has won grand tour stages over a period spanning 18 years and just became the cyclist with the greatest number of Tour de France stage wins of all time. The athleticism and mental strength required in that sport goes beyond anything else IMO.

And much as I enjoy watching and playing snooker, if we're calling it a sport for the purposes of this thread, then we might as well bring Jocky Wilson into the frame (no pun intended) for the title of the UK's greatest sportsman!

09/7/2024 11:59 pm  #17

Canadian Arab wrote:

Road cyclists typically have a career "at the top" - the very few that get there, at least - of a maximum of two years. In an absolutely brutal sport, Bradley Wiggins was the world's best in the general classification for a little longer than that. And Mark Cavendish has won grand tour stages over a period spanning 18 years and just became the cyclist with the greatest number of Tour de France stage wins of all time. The athleticism and mental strength required in that sport goes beyond anything else IMO.

And much as I enjoy watching and playing snooker, if we're calling it a sport for the purposes of this thread, then we might as well bring Jocky Wilson into the frame (no pun intended) for the title of the UK's greatest sportsman!

A good post illustrating why Murray often gets mentioned—-the popularity and coverage of his sport. People like Carl Fogarty, Dunlop, and other “niche” sportspeople are often overlooked even though they’re multiple world champions. Regarding snooker being a sport—if archery and bowls are classed as an Olympic sport then snooker is definitely a sport. 

10/7/2024 12:30 am  #18

Canadian Arab wrote:

Tek wrote:

Allan Wells!

Of course.

Getting the two mixed up.

Seriously, what an incredible achievement for a Scotsman.

He was also nearly 30 when he won the Gold.

Also finished 2nd in the 200M and was just 0.2 secs from double Gold.

What a Scotsman.

10/7/2024 9:41 am  #19

Dave Narey is the only Scotsman to score against Brazil from open play in a real game, and what a goal!

I think we have a winner.

10/7/2024 10:13 am  #20

Are we not overlooking another Scotsman? Sir Chris Hoy, who I think, won 7 Olympic golds. The  other person, who has yet to be mentioned is Sir Steven Redgrave with 5 Olympic golds and no less than 9 World Championships. What made this even more impressive was he was suffering from ulcerative colitis.

Wells is an interesting one. I was going to dismiss him completely by pointing out that the Americans boycotted Moscow Olympics and had they been there Wells would have been lucky to medal. That said, I actually looked at the times of the top Americans in 1980 and they were unimpressive. It wasn’t until 1983 when Carl Lewis, Dennis Mitchell and Leroy Burrell appeared. For me, Wells (who still holds the Scottish native record) was unfortunate to be caught between two generations of sprinters. Had he been five years younger he may have dipped under 10 seconds and been a contender in 1984.

I would just also mention another Dundonian (not a contender) who will be going to her fourth Olympics - Eilish McColgan.

10/7/2024 10:34 am  #21

Macbonzo wrote:

Are we not overlooking another Scotsman? Sir Chris Hoy, who I think, won 7 Olympic golds. The other person, who has yet to be mentioned is Sir Steven Redgrave with 5 Olympic golds and no less than 9 World Championships. What made this even more impressive was he was suffering from ulcerative colitis.

Wells is an interesting one. I was going to dismiss him completely by pointing out that the Americans boycotted Moscow Olympics and had they been there Wells would have been lucky to medal. That said, I actually looked at the times of the top Americans in 1980 and they were unimpressive. It wasn’t until 1983 when Carl Lewis, Dennis Mitchell and Leroy Burrell appeared. For me, Wells (who still holds the Scottish native record) was unfortunate to be caught between two generations of sprinters. Had he been five years younger he may have dipped under 10 seconds and been a contender in 1984.

I would just also mention another Dundonian (not a contender) who will be going to her fourth Olympics - Eilish McColgan.

Covered above, with Tory wanksock.

10/7/2024 12:35 pm  #22

David_Blunkett wrote:

Macbonzo wrote:

Are we not overlooking another Scotsman? Sir Chris Hoy, who I think, won 7 Olympic golds. The other person, who has yet to be mentioned is Sir Steven Redgrave with 5 Olympic golds and no less than 9 World Championships. What made this even more impressive was he was suffering from ulcerative colitis.

Covered above, with Tory wanksock.

Which one? Hoy or Redgrave. I wasn’t aware of either one’s political affiliations. Maybe we need a sub category.

Tell you what, why don’t we just agree that Man U’s greatest ever player should be the one…….Ralph Milne

10/7/2024 6:09 pm  #23

If Steve Redgrave is sitting at the front of a skinny wee boat and he has ulcerative colitis, surely the plaudits should go to the lad sitting behind him who would row like fuck to get to the end and get himself out of there?

Allan Wells was a unit. Shoulders wider than the gap between Mulgrew and Edwards. He used to go to his blocks after everyone else so they had to watch him rolling his shoulders and stretching his pecs before getting into the blocks, just to intimidate them. It worked. As was pointed out, the Americans would have struggled to match him at that time.

My Grandad played for Scotland at the bools. My understanding was he wasn't selected again after threatening to rap an English guy in the pus who had coughed just as he was delivering his bowl. I don't think even he would have classified it as a sport, even though it needs coordination, judgement and physical ability. They need a new category of Olympic Pastimes for bools, archery and snooker!

10/7/2024 6:23 pm  #24

And further on the subject of the bools, if we're classifying it as a sport then Darren Burnett was world champion for a number of years and would therefore have to be in with a shout of being the UK's greatest ever sportsman.

My Grandad's playing partner was Willie Burnett - Darren Burnett's Dad. Willie was the lead and my Grandad was the skip in their pairs team. My Grandad taught me to play and I beat Darren Burnett in a singles match at our club (Lochlands BC in Arbroath). Only played him the once, but I believe I am the only bools player with a 100% competitive record against the ex-world champion. So maybe I'm also in with a shout?

12/7/2024 12:25 pm  #25

With all the cycling talk it reminded me about Graeme Obree. Amazing athlete and story. The Flying Scotsman starring Jonny Lee Miller in the title role is worth checking out.

Last edited by japanarab (12/7/2024 12:27 pm)

Board footera