Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24/3/2024 9:41 am  #26

Re: UTD vs ICT - Saturday 23rd March

Going to put it out there that I think this 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 is completely stifling us and doesn't suit the team selection. Particularly with this latest trend of sticking Miller Thomson, a winger, in at full back.

For me, we should be playing 352 with Gallagher, Holt, Graham at the back. This would allow us to stick a partner up front with Moult, probably Grieve as I think Watt is better playing as a ten, and creates a different dynamic by still having numbers in midfield.

Mcmann has been fine this year, but his delivery is awful, Grimshaw runs like he's towing another Grimshaw behind him. Going forward we are far, far too predictable due to the lack of quality coming from the fullbacks in the attacking areas. Mark our wingers well, and you don't need to worry so much as the single forward player has no one to flick on the long balls that are caused by this.

Not to worry, the 4231 tombola will be back in full flow next week.

24/3/2024 10:09 am  #27

That 1st half yesterday was just awful... again.   Improved 2nd half and had more than enough chances to win but still rotten.   Unbelievably we still have it in our hands but I have very little confidence we are going to do it.  Think it is quite telling we ended up with Thomson and Middelton at full-back yesterday.  I like Miller but he's not a full-back for me, definitely not a left-back that's for sure.  Why did we let Flynn Duffy go out on loan again?

Last edited by SlatefordArab (24/3/2024 10:09 am)

24/3/2024 11:21 am  #28

CCX2 2010 wrote:

You are watching a different midfield to the two guys I watch, granted they are not Billy McKinlay or Barry Robson but what do you expect,  we are in the championship.  The two guys pick up the MOM award almost every week.

Also I get that we are all frustrated but we don't only play one way,  that's not correct.

Yesterday for example, we tried down the sides,  through the middle, and a more direct approach.  Nobody that was there yesterday or at Cappilow can say any different.

Our finishing is what's killing us up top and schoolboy stuff at the back.

Last few games

Morton- Moult and Tilson both missed easy chances. Walton dropped the ball on his goal line and we got away with it.

Arbroath- the only guy who walked off the pitch that never missed a chance was our keeper, should have been at least 6 of 7.

Dunfermline- The defending from some of senior/experienced 🤷‍♂️ these guys who were rock solid at the start of the season. The third goal was is not one that they will want to look back at too often .

That said, we missed plenty of chances in the second half , Moult again hit me in row Z when it's was easier to hit the net. Middleton was clean through as he was against twice the previous week vsArbroath. 

And finally that yesterday, Liam Grimshaw, there ain't no defending that, laughable if he wasn't wearing tangerine.

But at the other end,  Holt, Docherty,  Watt, Middleton,  Fotheringham and Moult all had very good chances and bar Moult wonder goal none of them converted their chances.

That's what killing us, not the lack of a target man or playing different systems, teams haven't sussed us out, the other teams are still shite. We are just not taking our chances and making stupid and costly mistakes at the back.

That's pretty  much how I'm seeing it.
Yesterday there were plenty of poor performances but I thought Fotheringham was awful. So lightweight , brushed off the ball repeatedly.

24/3/2024 11:25 am  #29

Morphman wrote:

Going to put it out there that I think this 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 is completely stifling us and doesn't suit the team selection. Particularly with this latest trend of sticking Miller Thomson, a winger, in at full back.

For me, we should be playing 352 with Gallagher, Holt, Graham at the back. This would allow us to stick a partner up front with Moult, probably Grieve as I think Watt is better playing as a ten, and creates a different dynamic by still having numbers in midfield.

Mcmann has been fine this year, but his delivery is awful, Grimshaw runs like he's towing another Grimshaw behind him. Going forward we are far, far too predictable due to the lack of quality coming from the fullbacks in the attacking areas. Mark our wingers well, and you don't need to worry so much as the single forward player has no one to flick on the long balls that are caused by this.

It was 4-4-2  yesterday until 75 mins

24/3/2024 2:26 pm  #30

dufc2019 wrote:

Morphman wrote:

If it was, then it sure fooled me. Makes no difference to be fair, the point about the threat from wide men being nullified making us toothless remains the same if we continue to play 4 at the back.

24/3/2024 2:44 pm  #31

Morphman wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Morphman wrote:

If it was, then it sure fooled me. Makes no difference to be fair, the point about the threat from wide men being nullified making us toothless remains the same if we continue to play 4 at the back.

It was 4-4-2 but you are 100% correct, unless we take our chances it won't matter what system we play.

We are toothless up top, the Arbroath game said it all. Any striker worth their salt would have had a hat trick(at least)that day.

I don't even get off my seat now when Middleton get the ball in the box let alone through on goal.  How many times this season has he failed to convert guilt edges chances, I've lost count?

One thing for certain, the players have piled even more pressure on themselves and next Saturday they need to finish off any chances we get.

24/3/2024 3:03 pm  #32

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Morphman wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

It was 4-4-2 but you are 100% correct, unless we take our chances it won't matter what system we play.

We are toothless up top, the Arbroath game said it all. Any striker worth their salt would have had a hat trick(at least)that day.

I don't even get off my seat now when Middleton get the ball in the box let alone through on goal. How many times this season has he failed to convert guilt edges chances, I've lost count?

One thing for certain, the players have piled even more pressure on themselves and next Saturday they need to finish off any chances we get.

I do agree but i also think its patterns of play, IE how does the team create overlaps, space, chances. The team still dosnt seem to know what its doing and thats on the Manager IMO

30/3/2024 4:16 pm  #33

Morphman wrote:

Well I got my 3-5-2 wish but not not as I expected 

30/3/2024 6:11 pm  #34

Soooperb !!!!

Board footera