Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03/3/2024 3:06 pm  #51

Re: Partick Thistle Vs Dundee United - Saturday 2nd March

Tek wrote:

@CCX2

I think we should be aiming for at least 65 points. That should be enough to win the title.

that would be 1.3 pts per game, dosnt seem much to me ?

03/3/2024 3:14 pm  #52

I recon 67 pts  so thats only 15 needed

3/4 wins and dont loose to Raith and its ours.  

Win on Tuesday and beat  Arbroath on sat and were half way there

03/3/2024 9:13 pm  #53

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Decent point on the board, I swear some of our fans are getting us mixed up with Real Madrid.

We have absolutely no right to be going to Firhill and winning. Our squad are full of average to decent championship players.

These players have been assembled to win the championship not the Champions League.

We all know how hard it is, Kirkwood, Lazlo  McKinnon, Neilson all failed to win this damned league. We were given the title a few year back and this time we will need to grind it outl and it ain't going to be pretty.

Thought Thomson played well with Watt making a good contribution from the bench.

On to Greenock in what will be another slugfest but one I think we will win.

Good to see a bit of appreciation at the end from our fans towards the players. Together we can get out at the first time of asking.

Pretty sure there's not a single person amongst our support that's confusing us with Real Madrid . Of course we have the right to expect better performances than we've been getting and have every right to expect this team of overpaid fannies to beat a team we walloped 5-0 in the same fixture earlier in the season.

No arguments from me with regards to the salary that some of the overspill from last season are lifting to ply their trade in the championship.

I'm not so sure about confusing which team we support, the expectations at times are fuckin mental considering the quality of player our budget lends itself to. We are top of the league and if we get over the line on goal difference then its something achieved that most of us have never seen in our lives, winning a league title.

We are a Championship club and have been for half of the last decade, some expect to have Ralphy still running down the wing, when in fact we have guys with severe limitations to their footballing ability , but that's where we are.

Regardless of being in this league if we start accepting we’re a lower league club then close the doors. We’re the 6th biggest club in Scotland even in this league, it’s time the players realised that.

I don’t think anyone expects the 80’s glory days i think a lot expect including me to have a group of players good enough to finish near the top 6 every season and a trip to hampden every now and then. That’s where we should be and due to many horrific off field decisions we as a fan base have been the ones left to pick up the pieces.

04/3/2024 4:41 am  #54

Average home attendance say 7,500
Average away support say 2,000

Should be creaming it.

04/3/2024 8:41 am  #55

RogerTheAlien wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Pretty sure there's not a single person amongst our support that's confusing us with Real Madrid . Of course we have the right to expect better performances than we've been getting and have every right to expect this team of overpaid fannies to beat a team we walloped 5-0 in the same fixture earlier in the season.

No arguments from me with regards to the salary that some of the overspill from last season are lifting to ply their trade in the championship.

I'm not so sure about confusing which team we support, the expectations at times are fuckin mental considering the quality of player our budget lends itself to. We are top of the league and if we get over the line on goal difference then its something achieved that most of us have never seen in our lives, winning a league title.

We are a Championship club and have been for half of the last decade, some expect to have Ralphy still running down the wing, when in fact we have guys with severe limitations to their footballing ability , but that's where we are.

Regardless of being in this league if we start accepting we’re a lower league club then close the doors. We’re the 6th biggest club in Scotland even in this league, it’s time the players realised that.

I don’t think anyone expects the 80’s glory days i think a lot expect including me to have a group of players good enough to finish near the top 6 every season and a trip to hampden every now and then. That’s where we should be and due to many horrific off field decisions we as a fan base have been the ones left to pick up the pieces.

And there lies the problem Roger, of course we shouldn't be accepting it, but we are, we are a Championship club, for the 5th season out of the last 8.

The fact that there a photos of  united legends of the past beating Barcs etc. That won't be lost on them or the fact that as Shakey says,  our vastly larger crowd both home and away, that won't be lost on them either.

That said this squad in its current state will never compete in the top league  they haven't been brought here for top 6 finishes or Hampden appearances,  that why almost everyone of them are on a one year deal. 

The lot of them are struggling right now, you can clearly see it on the pitch, struggling with form and maybe some of the expectations that all of us have but we need to be together for the next 8 weeks to get out at the first attempt.

After that as you point out, the chairman can GTF and we can hopefully have a discussion about Goodwin.

04/3/2024 10:05 am  #56

The thing about happy clapping is that you condone the behaviours of the owners and those running the club.  Happy clappers wouldn't have got rid of Asghar and for all those that happy clapped along - look where he has got us and how bad its going to be for a while at least (assuming we can survive and return to where we should be).

We as a fan base need to decide whether we continue to thole Ogren.  I'd hoped Goodwin was his own man and that he would 'sort' Ogren, but he doesn't appear capable of sorting himself, so he's got to go too.  We are where we are this year.  Too late to sort it and therefore we'll just need to hope these misfiring duds can look at their pay cheques and be sufficiently embarrassed to keep themselves ahead of the part timers and journeymen that make up the rest of this league.

04/3/2024 10:21 am  #57

dufc2019 wrote:

Tek wrote:

@CCX2

I think we should be aiming for at least 65 points. That should be enough to win the title.

that would be 1.3 pts per game, dosnt seem much to me ?

Which is why I said 'at least' what we should be aiming for.

Anything less won't necessarily win the title.

As it is you seem to think we will only need two more points than that, so it would appear we actually agree.

04/3/2024 11:06 am  #58

In the last five years the winning points margins of the Championship winners have been.

19/20 - Utd 59 points (only played 28 games not 36)
20/21 - Hearts 63 points (only played 27 games not 36)
21/22 - Killie 67 points
22/23 - Dundee 63 points
23/24 - Utd 52 points (after 26 games)

04/3/2024 11:51 am  #59

Finn Seemann wrote:

The thing about happy clapping is that you condone the behaviours of the owners and those running the club.  Happy clappers wouldn't have got rid of Asghar and for all those that happy clapped along - look where he has got us and how bad its going to be for a while at least (assuming we can survive and return to where we should be).

We as a fan base need to decide whether we continue to thole Ogren.  I'd hoped Goodwin was his own man and that he would 'sort' Ogren, but he doesn't appear capable of sorting himself, so he's got to go too.  We are where we are this year.  Too late to sort it and therefore we'll just need to hope these misfiring duds can look at their pay cheques and be sufficiently embarrassed to keep themselves ahead of the part timers and journeymen that make up the rest of this league.

There has to be a happy medium though.  There's a real negativity about the club just now, some of it's totally justified, some of it I feel comes from people who want to be proven right when things go wrong and others simply criticize anything and everything with the benefit of hindsight.

Based on the standard of our performances, I'm not confident about how we will do against Morton, but I like to think that good times are just around the corner.  There's a power of work to be done for that to happen and it won't be easy, but I suppose that my hope and optimism is what keeps me going back to Tannadice.

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

04/3/2024 12:16 pm  #60

Tek wrote:

In the last five years the winning points margins of the Championship winners have been.

21/22 - Killie 67 points
22/23 - Dundee 63 points

So, for me, 67/68 points is the target (maybe)

5/6 wins and one of these has to be vs Raith.

04/3/2024 12:50 pm  #61

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

There has to be a happy medium though.  There's a real negativity about the club just now, some of it's totally justified, some of it I feel comes from people who want to be proven right when things go wrong and others simply criticize anything and everything with the benefit of hindsight.

Based on the standard of our performances, I'm not confident about how we will do against Morton, but I like to think that good times are just around the corner.  There's a power of work to be done for that to happen and it won't be easy, but I suppose that my hope and optimism is what keeps me going back to Tannadice.

That's a fair post Macho.  I think the difficulty with Goodwin is that he started badly (League Cup embarrassment) but then initial league form was great, which made us think that he'd turned a corner.  Then came more cup embarrassment and bad performances but scraping wins/draws in the league.  Now the bad performances continue but now we are losing or scraping draws.  Its a direction of travel.  In my view due to Goodwin not being able to lift the mood and not being able to change his tactics (which have been sussed by the tactical nous of Championship managers).  He needs wins and better performances pronto and that will be enough to get us over the line, but it will be close.  Grinding out a win tomorrow night will give everyone a boost.

04/3/2024 12:51 pm  #62

21/22 - Killie 67 points
22/23 - Dundee 63 points
going back further
18/19 71 pts
17/18 74 pts
16/17 71 pts

but that was with runaway winners

04/3/2024 12:54 pm  #63

if it is say 68 pts   we need 16 from 10 Games

thats only 4 wins and 4 draws with 2 defeats  as long as we dont lose to Raith

04/3/2024 12:58 pm  #64

MockChop wrote:

Tek wrote:

21/22 - Killie 67 points
22/23 - Dundee 63 points

Can still see Raith hitting a purple patch - I don't think 5/6 wins and 2/3 draws is beyond them.  Realistically thats probably 18-20 points.  On that basis I think we need 70+.  So minimum of 5 wins and 5 draws and we should be good.  Has to be doable?!

04/3/2024 1:03 pm  #65

dufc2019 wrote:

21/22 - Killie 67 points
22/23 - Dundee 63 points
going back further
18/19 71 pts
17/18 74 pts
16/17 71 pts

but that was with runaway winners

I think the difference here is we have 2 runaways and the rest are much of a muchness.   Arbroath are comfortably the worst team but other than that there is only 9 points separating the bunch in the middle and Arbroath won't think they are down yet.  To that extent I think Goodwin is right in that if we can avoid further losses we should be OK (although that assumes that the Raith bubble has burst - it has, but they still have the next best squad in the league).  I think that means that he'll concentrate on making the defence solid (which doesn't bode well for entertainment) but I guess pragmatism is going to be the key.  Not a great position to be in, but we just have to grind it out.

Last edited by Finn Seemann (04/3/2024 1:04 pm)

04/3/2024 1:05 pm  #66

Finn Seemann wrote:

MockChop wrote:

Tek wrote:

21/22 - Killie 67 points
22/23 - Dundee 63 points

Can still see Raith hitting a purple patch - I don't think 5/6 wins and 2/3 draws is beyond them.  Realistically thats probably 18-20 points.  On that basis I think we need 70+.  So minimum of 5 wins and 5 draws and we should be good.  Has to be doable?!

Raith have had 10 pts from their last 10 games and have still to win a game by more than 1 goal.  cant see it

04/3/2024 2:30 pm  #67

Regarding Raith, like us they have had some injuries to key personnel but losing Watson and the lad they got from Dundee will put further strain on them.

Morton have lost their key Striker.

Thistle and Dunfermline decimated with injuries.

We on the other hand are getting all our key players back, I'm hopeful that 67 will be enough but we must beat Raith at Tannadice.

Last edited by CCX2 2010 (04/3/2024 2:31 pm)

04/3/2024 2:30 pm  #68

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

MockChop wrote:

Raith have had 10 pts from their last 10 games and have still to win a game by more than 1 goal.  cant see it

Let's hope not, but if you are right that means they got 41 from their first 16.  Hence why I think a purple patch is possible.  Given their form has more or less mirrored ours I'm similarly not confident in our own form.  I do however believe that results over the weekend pretty much confirmed it as a two horse race as the others have too much ground to catch up now.

04/3/2024 2:37 pm  #69

MockChop wrote:

Tek wrote:

21/22 - Killie 67 points
22/23 - Dundee 63 points

We have 6 games in march including the draw with Partick

Raith have 5 including the defeat to Arbroath

If we can pick up 10+ pts and avoid defeat against Raith that leaves us on 62pts going into April which would imo nearly have us there.

Board footera