Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20/2/2024 9:07 am  #1

Utd Vs QP

Don't win this, don't deserve to win the league.

A simply must win game.

20/2/2024 9:21 am  #2

Re: Utd Vs QP

Jeezo. Surely we'll no blow this ane Tek. But ken what yer saying m8.

20/2/2024 11:13 am  #3

Billy_Hainey wrote:

Jeezo. Surely we'll no blow this ane Tek. But ken what yer saying m8.

I can't say I am overly confident Bill.

QP have been in great form since Callum Davidson took over.

Their last six results -
QP 2 Dunfermline 1
Raith 1 QP 2
QP 1 Ayr 2
ICT 0 QP 1
Dunfermline 0 QP 3
QP 0 Morton 0

Some good results there and three clean sheets on the bounce. Kept a clean sheet against us back at Xmas time too of course.

We better be right up for this from the first whistle. 

Last time they naively came to Tannadice and attacked us, and paid the price. I don't think Davidson will make the same mistake.

Think they'll park the bus and try and hit on the break and from set pieces.

20/2/2024 1:24 pm  #4

I’ve given up on thinking the team will be up for it right from the start and just hope they either score first and see the remaining games out or have enough about them to grind out the results we need to win this league as I agree with what Steve Cowan said on the radio that no championship team has enough about them to beat any premiership team in the play offs.
Then we can start fresh next season.

20/2/2024 1:25 pm  #5

BMT wrote:

I’ve given up on thinking the team will be up for it right from the start and just hope they either score first and see the remaining games out or have enough about them to grind out the results we need to win this league as I agree with what Steve Cowan said on the radio that no championship team has enough about them to beat any premiership team in the play offs.

did 3 of them not beat them in the Cup ?

20/2/2024 1:33 pm  #6

dufc2019 wrote:

BMT wrote:

Yeah so does that mean you’d put money on them to beat them in a playoff?

20/2/2024 1:43 pm  #7

BMT wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

BMT wrote:

Yeah so does that mean you’d put money on them to beat them in a playoff?

i dont see any reason to think we wouldnt beat that Ross Co team no, obviously I'd rather not find out like

20/2/2024 1:52 pm  #8

Yeah me either

20/2/2024 2:24 pm  #9

We haven't won a crunch/important game in years.  If we don't win the league, I don't expect us to be playing in the play off final to be able to test ourselves against Ross County or whoever is 11th.

Last edited by Finn Seemann (20/2/2024 2:24 pm)

20/2/2024 2:45 pm  #10

Finn Seemann wrote:

We haven't won a crunch/important game in years.  If we don't win the league, I don't expect us to be playing in the play off final to be able to test ourselves against Ross County or whoever is 11th.

lol. does our support have PTSD or something ?  So defeatist. Same with at the games, go a goal down and everybody starts loosing their shit. 

like it or not that also filters down to players, have a stronger mentality lads comon......

Last edited by dufc2019 (20/2/2024 2:49 pm)

20/2/2024 3:01 pm  #11

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

lol. does our support have PTSD or something ?  So defeatist. Same with at the games, go a goal down and everybody starts loosing their shit. 

like it or not that also filters down to players, have a stronger mentality lads comon......

This is part of the problem.  Are players so delicate that they can't take a bit of criticism?  Anyone who plays for United knows that losing to Spartans, Raith, Morton, Queen of the South and Falkirk isn't good enough.  It's about standards.  They would be under no illusions if they were at Celtic or Rangers or even Hearts or Hibs.  Are we saying that because they are snowflakes lets not let them know poor displays are unacceptable?  I was at Bonnyrigg at the weekend and they certainly let their team know that losing to a half decent East Fife was not good enough.  

So who has a strong mentality?  It's not United - we bottle it regularly.  Until that changes we'll continue to do so.

20/2/2024 5:37 pm  #12

Finn Seemann wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

This is part of the problem.  Are players so delicate that they can't take a bit of criticism?  Anyone who plays for United knows that losing to Spartans, Raith, Morton, Queen of the South and Falkirk isn't good enough.  It's about standards.  They would be under no illusions if they were at Celtic or Rangers or even Hearts or Hibs.  Are we saying that because they are snowflakes lets not let them know poor displays are unacceptable?  I was at Bonnyrigg at the weekend and they certainly let their team know that losing to a half decent East Fife was not good enough.  

So who has a strong mentality?  It's not United - we bottle it regularly.  Until that changes we'll continue to do so.

listen to the dode fox podcast this week he got it spot on. Do you really think loosing you head and getting on the players backs after they go goal down (remember we are still top ) helps ?  

The Fans dont seem to have any patience and cant handle any sort of adversary IMO. you can say thats any support but i dont think it is, i see plenty of games on the TV where a team goes a goal down and the support gets right behind them. That did not happen on friday.

20/2/2024 6:06 pm  #13

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

listen to the dode fox podcast this week he got it spot on. Do you really think loosing you head and getting on the players backs after they go goal down (remember we are still top ) helps ?  

The Fans dont seem to have any patience and cant handle any sort of adversary IMO. you can say thats any support but i dont think it is, i see plenty of games on the TV where a team goes a goal down and the support gets right behind them. That did not happen on friday.

Personally I tend not to get too over excited either way at the game (although Tony Watt has been the recipient of a few shouts over the last couple of years).  However it is a natural human reaction and the players need to get used to it.  Setbacks can be met with encouragement where the team has positivity capital in the bank (i.e. earned respect permits encouragement).  We've not had that for years.  Dundee is a particularly apathetic city (again due to the lack of positivity capital over years of poor treatment by successive governments) and if you come to play football here then you'll need to get used to the punters not being happy if you don't perform and in that I mean put some effort in (i.e. the difference between Sibbald and Watt, both limited footballers but one gives you everything the other doesn't).  There is also the hope factor - we are seriously looking like being the second team in the City in terms of performance and that has only happened in maybe 2 seasons in my 53 years of life.  Our fans will not accept that.

20/2/2024 6:17 pm  #14

We have plenty reason to moan, performances haven't been good enough, but I do believe we've got a bigger portion of greetin' faced bastards in our support than others.

By all means if it's been an absolutely terrible 1st half let them know at HT, similarly at FT

But for the 90 mins of the game, how about just backing them?

I know folk don't want us to lose, but it does seem that a decent percentage take comfort in being proven right, giving it "I told you so!" every time we drop a point, a lot also hang on to last season, when moaning about this one.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

20/2/2024 6:38 pm  #15

Walton
Freeman Gallagher/mcclelland holt mcmann
Cudjoe wothersoon sibbald fotheringham
Grieve moult

Big changes needed for this weekend

Some players are far too comfortable knowing they will play every week.

20/2/2024 9:41 pm  #16

up against 5 at the back sitting in this will be tough if we dont score early

21/2/2024 12:24 am  #17

David_Blunkett wrote:

a lot also hang on to last season, when moaning about this one.

And as a self confessed 'greeting faced bastard' wtf should we not? It was a devastating collapse post-split, and some of us (myself included) largely blame Goodwin for that.

After all we'd sure as Hell still hear about if he'd kept us up and then subsequently went through a rocky period, from the Goodwin backers, would we not?

21/2/2024 12:55 am  #18

We now have 2 home games, 2 must win home games.

Goodwins reputation is on the line, if he doesn’t take us up he surely doesn’t get a half decent job again. I hope he knows this.

21/2/2024 10:04 am  #19

Tek wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

And as a self confessed 'greeting faced bastard' wtf should we not? It was a devastating collapse post-split, and some of us (myself included) largely blame Goodwin for that.

After all we'd sure as Hell still hear about if he'd kept us up and then subsequently went through a rocky period, from the Goodwin backers, would we not?

I'm in neither for or against camp, I have concerns, but it was a different set of players, players that had already downed tools for the 2 previous managers, I think he got things wrong post split, but i'd largely blame the players.

When the new season started, with a squad of players he'd brought a fair whack in himself, the slate is wiped clean.

We should be a lot further ahead than we are, but this probably happens with every team who feel they shouldn't be in this league - "The only priority is to win the league, no matter what/at all costs!"

"Oh, but not like that!"

Backers or binners, folk use stats to support their argument, like we've the best defence in Europe etc - Aye but we're playing in a shite league v shite players.

Just think we as a fanbase should be a bit more supportive, there's certainly quite a few negative cunts around me where I sit, it's almost from the off, constant shouting and screaming, heart attacks waiting to happen.

21/2/2024 11:12 am  #20

I dont think he's upto the job. his recruitment is ok but as I coach i dont think he is good enough. 

21/2/2024 4:40 pm  #21

Tek wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Without hopefully derailing another thread, he had an almost impossible job, he played his part and got them to the line, the players available just didn't have the minerals to complete the job.

It was 100% nailed on and with the benifit of hindsight I can't understand why you can't see it.  One striker who could hardly walk after the split and missed games, no battling midfielders at all- none, nada absolutely no fuckin steel whatsoever in the middle. No left back that could defend, Liam Smith at right back, Edwards and  Mulgrew in the middle and Birighitti.  Look at it mate, how was he meant to get them up for a battle, it was a complete shitshow, the squad was assembled (don't laugh) to finish 3rd not to battle out a relegation dog fight and when it came down to it, the more astute organised clubs run over the top of us.

He inherited all of the above, he put his hand up and others ran a mile.

Following that I don't recall any appetite for another manager to come in and evaluate the squad in the summer (again) there was no time. Goodwin has generally just got almost everyone of them out the door which we all wanted.

Finally, I hope we are all Goodwin backers, surely we are. We all want him to succeed  don't we? Of course we do, he ain't going anywhere until the summer at least unless that idiot of a chairman does anything else that would be to the detriment of our club.

13 games to go and the pressure is on,  I hope for our clubs sake we manage to get over the line, I really dread to think of what might happen if we don't to our club.

It will be tight on Saturday,  but 2-0 united.

21/2/2024 4:41 pm  #22

David_Blunkett wrote:

Tek wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

I'm in neither for or against camp, I have concerns, but it was a different set of players, players that had already downed tools for the 2 previous managers, I think he got things wrong post split, but i'd largely blame the players.

When the new season started, with a squad of players he'd brought a fair whack in himself, the slate is wiped clean.

We should be a lot further ahead than we are, but this probably happens with every team who feel they shouldn't be in this league - "The only priority is to win the league, no matter what/at all costs!"

"Oh, but not like that!"

Backers or binners, folk use stats to support their argument, like we've the best defence in Europe etc - Aye but we're playing in a shite league v shite players.

Just think we as a fanbase should be a bit more supportive, there's certainly quite a few negative cunts around me where I sit, it's almost from the off, constant shouting and screaming, heart attacks waiting to happen.

Good post 👍

21/2/2024 7:06 pm  #23

David_Blunkett wrote:

Tek wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

"Oh, but not like that!"

We haven’t been under 7000 at home this season, we took 3500 through to raith for a tv game, was that not enough support?

Last edited by RogerTheAlien (21/2/2024 7:07 pm)

21/2/2024 7:16 pm  #24

Supportive.

Not number of supporters in attendance. The numbers isn't an issue.

The point you've highlighted above was mostly about Tannadice. Unless folk are cutting about with ear defenders on, you can't help but notice the difference in noise/atmosphere etc compared to an away day.

At home it's like far too many can't wait to spout their shite.

21/2/2024 7:18 pm  #25

RogerTheAlien wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Tek wrote:

"Oh, but not like that!"

We haven’t been under 7000 at home this season, we took 3500 through to raith for a tv game, was that not enough support?

its not a question of numbers, numbers are good its how flappable we are thats the issue

Board footera