Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/10/2023 8:14 am  #26

Re: Raith vs Utd - Saturday 7th October

Wisna there yesterday. Got the phuckin Covid.

Noticed the stats for the 1st half were'na great. Them we 64% possession and us we only 1 shot on target. Couple oe fowk hinted that the pitch and the rehn were crap.

Think the result was what a lot of fowk expected. No complaining.

Anybody we any mair info on oor goal ?

08/10/2023 9:08 am  #27

Hang in there Billy, hope you feel better soon.

From watching online, conditions were terrible, pouring rain nearly all of the game.

Our goal was a good corner from Declan Glass, flicked on at near post by a united player (Holt?) and Moult heads home from close range.

08/10/2023 9:56 am  #28

Billy_Hainey wrote:

Wisna there yesterday. Got the phuckin Covid.

Noticed the stats for the 1st half were'na great. Them we 64% possession and us we only 1 shot on target. Couple oe fowk hinted that the pitch and the rehn were crap.

Think the result was what a lot of fowk expected. No complaining.

Anybody we any mair info on oor goal ?

Search YouTube for Raith Rovers v Dundee United. Raith tv has a decent highlights video.

08/10/2023 11:44 am  #29

Thanks fellas.

08/10/2023 3:25 pm  #30

Thought we were poor first half yesterday. Was a poor goal to concede there best player was on his own in the middle of the box for a free header and a free rebound.

Second half we dominated for large spells but lacked that cutting edge upfront until Moult came on. He took his goal really well. Grimshaw had a poor game, couple of his errors almost cost us as well.

We were frustratingly slow getting the ball forward for large parts of that game. I understand its all about keeping possession and waiting for the space to open up, but th amount of times moves broke down in the middle of the pitch and went back to Walton was unreal. First half especially we were sloppy as hell giving the ball away on simple passes. The conditions weren't great but the pitch was in a better state than I expected, seems to have excellent drainage.

Still undefeated though so that's a big positive.

08/10/2023 3:42 pm  #31

Not a great footballing performance but can’t question the team’s commitment - a completely different mindset and attitude to last season.  To be honest I’d have probably taken a point before the game and at half time I definitely would - I know that’s maybe a bit conservative but it’s all about winning the league and sometimes that means settling for a point away to the next best team.

A lot of players were not near their best - Fotheringham, Glass, Sibbald and Grimshaw were all pretty disappointing.  Moult was very good when he came on - thank god his injury was short term.  I thought Watt and Middleton did pretty well again.  Walton was good too.

Hope we rest likes of Gallagher, Docherty and Moult next week v Peterhead.

09/10/2023 9:59 am  #32

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Thought draw was a fair result. We didn’t handle the pitch or conditions very well. If Moult plays the full 90 we win.

Spot on.  Although we were pretty tight at the back bar the inexplicable defending for their goal.  Smallest boy on the pitch gets a free (and I mean I might have been closer in row PP than either of our centre halfs) header on the 6 yard line right between the sticks and then everybody freezes bar him when the header comes off the post.  I do wonder if our keeper needed to come and claim that though - he does have a tendency to stick to his line...

Moult looked a class above when he came on and if he is fit then he needs to start every game.

09/10/2023 10:04 am  #33

Stillliving wrote:

I think if anyone deserved to win that it was UTD.
Good performances from Middleton& Watt.
Very poor from Glass & Fotheringham maybe time for new targets for the boo boys.
Hopefully Gallagher is OK as a massive drop off when Graham came on, who unfortunately is just not good enough.

For me that is the minimum we should be getting out of Middleton and Watt every week so not overly impressed.  Glass struggled and just isn't the solution we need in that position but we don't appear to have anything better.   I thought the criticism of Fotheringham was OTT.  He didn't have his greatest game but at least he doesn't hide.

There was not a massive drop off when Graham came on (?).  He's not as good a ball winner as Gallagher but he did just fine and he is good enough for this league.  What do you expect when he hardly gets any game time?

09/10/2023 11:05 am  #34

Finn Seemann wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Very poor from Glass & Fotheringham maybe time for new targets for the boo boys.
Hopefully Gallagher is OK as a massive drop off when Graham came on, who unfortunately is just not good enough.

For me that is the minimum we should be getting out of Middleton and Watt every week so not overly impressed.  Glass struggled and just isn't the solution we need in that position but we don't appear to have anything better.   I thought the criticism of Fotheringham was OTT.  He didn't have his greatest game but at least he doesn't hide.

There was not a massive drop off when Graham came on (?).  He's not as good a ball winner as Gallagher but he did just fine and he is good enough for this league.  What do you expect when he hardly gets any game time?

I expect a young lad like him not to look like he's towing a fridge freezer when he runs.

09/10/2023 12:23 pm  #35

Finn Seemann wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

I'd like to See Mochrie (who was striped and waiting to come on) .remains to be seen if he is better than Glass cause we havnt really seen him but at least he has pace and can go past players something this team really lacks

09/10/2023 12:25 pm  #36

Shedtastic wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

I expect a young lad like him not to look like he's towing a fridge freezer when he runs.

FFS - the boy has been sitting in the pissing rain waiting on a chance that is unlikely to come when Gallagher gets a totally out of the blue injury.  He's been chucked on for the last 10 minutes without the benefit of a proper warm up and into a game that has only just opened up with the midfield generally being by-passed.  No surprise to me that it would take him a few minutes to get into the game - I begin to wonder whether folk have played sport before.

He is not a good as Gallagher and Holt.  Could he be?  Certainly not the former on current showing but no reason why he can't become a regular like Holt (he's not exactly Dave Narey).  Did we leave their main threat totally free in the box when Graham was on?  No.  I definitely don't think our younger players are anywhere near the Asghar hype about them, but some quarters of our support are expecting a bit much from them and, in my opinion, not enough of the 'established' players.

09/10/2023 12:36 pm  #37

Rick Dagless wrote:

Thought we were poor first half yesterday. Was a poor goal to concede there best player was on his own in the middle of the box for a free header and a free rebound.

Second half we dominated for large spells but lacked that cutting edge upfront until Moult came on. He took his goal really well. Grimshaw had a poor game, couple of his errors almost cost us as well.

We were frustratingly slow getting the ball forward for large parts of that game. I understand its all about keeping possession and waiting for the space to open up, but th amount of times moves broke down in the middle of the pitch and went back to Walton was unreal. First half especially we were sloppy as hell giving the ball away on simple passes. The conditions weren't great but the pitch was in a better state than I expected, seems to have excellent drainage.

Still undefeated though so that's a big positive.

Agree re. Grimshaw.  He looked very composed on the ball at Inverness and was one of our better players.  I'll be charitable and say the surface didn't suit him, but his first touch was terrible and he seemed to have the wrong footwear on.  There was one point after Gallagher went off that he backed off and backed off until their winger was in the box and had a decent chance.  Not sure that was due to lack of confidence Graham had his back or what, but it made me think he isn't really a right back and he's not a good enough football player to play in the middle.  He's certainly not top league level....

09/10/2023 2:16 pm  #38

I will stick to my opinion of Graham.
The vast majority of young players don't make it and he will be another one. He is 22 now and had a couple of loan spells but just isn't good enough. There is a reason he hasn't had much game time.

09/10/2023 2:51 pm  #39

Stillliving wrote:

The vast majority of young players don't make it and he will be another one. He is 22 now and had a couple of loan spells but just isn't good enough. There is a reason he hasn't had much game time.

22 is still young for a CH to be fair

09/10/2023 3:26 pm  #40

dufc2019 wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Indeed at 22 Gallagher was playing for the Dees and Holt for QotS - players can improve in those positions.  But lets write him off based on 10 minutes off the bench...

09/10/2023 3:29 pm  #41

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

I'd like to See Mochrie (who was striped and waiting to come on) .remains to be seen if he is better than Glass cause we havnt really seen him but at least he has pace and can go past players something this team really lacks

I was talking more of the ball playing centre mid.  I agree Mochrie can go passed a player, but I don't think he's better than Glass at seeing a pass.

09/10/2023 3:38 pm  #42

Finn Seemann wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

I was talking more of the ball playing centre mid.  I agree Mochrie can go passed a player, but I don't think he's better than Glass at seeing a pass.

I think Glass's problem is Physical, he just cant get about the pitch, too slow and too weak

09/10/2023 3:56 pm  #43

Finn Seemann wrote:

Shedtastic wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

FFS - the boy has been sitting in the pissing rain waiting on a chance that is unlikely to come when Gallagher gets a totally out of the blue injury.  He's been chucked on for the last 10 minutes without the benefit of a proper warm up and into a game that has only just opened up with the midfield generally being by-passed.  No surprise to me that it would take him a few minutes to get into the game - I begin to wonder whether folk have played sport before.

He is not a good as Gallagher and Holt.  Could he be?  Certainly not the former on current showing but no reason why he can't become a regular like Holt (he's not exactly Dave Narey).  Did we leave their main threat totally free in the box when Graham was on?  No.  I definitely don't think our younger players are anywhere near the Asghar hype about them, but some quarters of our support are expecting a bit much from them and, in my opinion, not enough of the 'established' players.

Nothing to do with warm ups etc, I've seen plenty of the lad when he's started games, he's not good enough and I'll be shocked if he gets offered another deal with the club.

09/10/2023 4:43 pm  #44

Finn Seemann wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Indeed at 22 Gallagher was playing for the Dees and Holt for QotS - players can improve in those positions.  But lets write him off based on 10 minutes off the bench...

Are you assuming that Saturday was thec1st time I've seen Graham play?
My judgement is based on probably closer to 50  1st team/ reserve team games.
He dosent have the pace required for this level and dosent have passing ability/composure required of the modern CH.

09/10/2023 7:07 pm  #45

Finn Seemann wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Totally agree. Also Is Graham not predominantly left footed so playing out of position? Is that right?

10/10/2023 9:40 am  #46

Shedtastic wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Shedtastic wrote:

Nothing to do with warm ups etc, I've seen plenty of the lad when he's started games, he's not good enough and I'll be shocked if he gets offered another deal with the club.

Ditto.  I've also seen him plenty of times and he's been inconsistent, poor and excellent sometimes in the space of 5 minutes.  That's what happens with young players, especially in defensive positions.  As I have pointed out his career currently has as good a trajectory as many, albeit potentially journey man players.  Will he make it to the top level?  Probably not.  Will he grind out a career just outside the Scottish top division?  Possibly.  Will he do a Declan and eventually get a couple of Scotland caps?  Who knows.  

I'd like United to have a better pool of players.  I am all for giving stick to the likes of Watt and Middleton who are commanding a decent wage and not delivering week in week out.  I am not for giving stick to the likes of Graham and Fotheringham who get limited game time and get paid relative buttons (and actually seem like they are putting in effort).  Maybe Graham won't make a career out of football.  He certainly won't if he listens to people like you.

10/10/2023 9:50 am  #47

Stillliving wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

My judgement is based on probably closer to 50 1st team/ reserve team games.
He dosent have the pace required for this level and dosent have passing ability/composure required of the modern CH.

This is the problem with the post-Guardiola world.  WTF is the "modern CH"?  Take it you never saw Dave Narey?

He's playing alongside Gallagher and Holt and last year Ryan Edwards.  Not exactly Ruben Dias.  He is playing Raith Rovers in the pissing rain on plastic.  I want him to defend first even if that means pumping it into row Z.  Goodwin is trying to play a brand of football that doesn't suit the players at his disposal.  Man City have players that can pick up a ball and move it on without even looking at it.  We've got Grimshaw who looked like he'd never seen a ball on Saturday.  But yet people pick out a relatively young lad for abuse when he played 10 minutes during which we didn't concede one of the worst defended goals I have had the displeasure of seeing.  Football fans are odd.

10/10/2023 9:55 am  #48

kdyteejay wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Totally agree. Also Is Graham not predominantly left footed so playing out of position? Is that right?

I think that's a bit of a post Guardiola excuse to be honest, but yes he is left footed as far as I am aware.  You'd have thought the 'wonderful' Kevin Holt could have swapped sides to let the young lad play in his preferred position....

10/10/2023 9:57 am  #49

....... Think some of us are pointing fingers at individuals and reading a wee bit too much out of a scrappy game on a skating rink in dreadful conditions.

10/10/2023 10:42 am  #50

Finn Seemann wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

My judgement is based on probably closer to 50 1st team/ reserve team games.

This is the problem with the post-Guardiola world.  WTF is the "modern CH"?  Take it you never saw Dave Narey?

He's playing alongside Gallagher and Holt and last year Ryan Edwards.  Not exactly Ruben Dias.  He is playing Raith Rovers in the pissing rain on plastic.  I want him to defend first even if that means pumping it into row Z.  Goodwin is trying to play a brand of football that doesn't suit the players at his disposal.  Man City have players that can pick up a ball and move it on without even looking at it.  We've got Grimshaw who looked like he'd never seen a ball on Saturday.  But yet people pick out a relatively young lad for abuse when he played 10 minutes during which we didn't concede one of the worst defended goals I have had the displeasure of seeing.  Football fans are odd.

Again you've got it wrong. I was watching the Terrors before Narey made his debut.

It's not just Goodwin passing it out from back its across all levels of the game. Broughty Juniors v Downfield had both teams passing out from the back.

My final word, saying that you think a certain player is not good enough on a messageboard is not giving out stick its giving out your opinion.

Board footera