Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28/9/2023 1:45 am  #1

Dundee United vs Queens Park - Saturday 30th September

First time Utd have played a league game at Tannadice against Queens Park in wait for it....SIXTY THREE YEARS!

Last time was the very start of the 60's. In the Pre-Tangerine + Black days.

January 2nd 1960

Utd 3 QP 1

Would take the same score line on Saturday.

28/9/2023 8:13 am  #2

Re: Dundee United vs Queens Park - Saturday 30th September

Tek wrote:

First time Utd have played a league game at Tannadice against Queens Park in wait for it....SIXTY THREE YEARS!

Last time was the very start of the 60's. In the Pre-Tangerine + Black days.

January 2nd 1960

Utd 3 QP 1

Would take the same score line on Saturday.

out of curiosity, when wouldnt you take a 1-0 win ?   

29/9/2023 8:21 pm  #3

Same back line as ever.

Would like to see Murdoch and Sibbald with Archie in for Glass.

Middleton and Fotheringham out wide and Tony up top.

Shouldn't risk King Louis unless we really need to.

29/9/2023 9:02 pm  #4

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Same back line as ever.

All about opinions, but I don't think Glass has done anything to deserve to be dropped or Meekison has done anything to merit a start.

Fotheringham has a right to feel aggrieved though, re lack of starts.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

29/9/2023 9:20 pm  #5

David_Blunkett wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Same back line as ever.

All about opinions, but I don't think Glass has done anything to deserve to be dropped or Meekison has done anything to merit a start.

Agreed.

On all points.

p.s. who's Murdoch? That name gives me PTSD 

29/9/2023 9:40 pm  #6

It's the polisman from Oor Wullie, playing as a midfield enforcer

29/9/2023 9:44 pm  #7

Tek wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Same back line as ever.

Agreed.

On all points.

p.s. who's Murdoch? That name gives me PTSD 

Really need to select that preview option, Docherty is the fella. I thought I had deleted Murdoch from my memory.

Glass has been decent  but we can only play 11 and Archie was a threat last week. We certainly need a threat with Tony no goals up top.

30/9/2023 7:08 am  #8

Wee slip from Archie in his match preview suggested he's starting vs QP.

Unless it was a cunning ploy from Goodwin, of course ,,,

30/9/2023 7:37 am  #9

The fans need to stick behind the team today, particularly if we go behind. I still sense a we should be beating teams like QP attitude in GF.  Despite sitting top of the league some fans are only 1 defeat away from shouting for Goodwin to go.

30/9/2023 6:07 pm  #10

Game of 2 halves by us today. Queens were not good by any stretch of the imagination but we just couldn’t get going first half. Second half much more better, more drilled, great goals all round too. Kai’s header the pick for me.
With Moult a likely miss for next week on the plastic pitch it’s a massive positive that second half heading into that.

KTF

30/9/2023 7:01 pm  #11

Stillliving wrote:

The fans need to stick behind the team today, particularly if we go behind. I still sense a we should be beating teams like QP attitude in GF.  Despite sitting top of the league some fans are only 1 defeat away from shouting for Goodwin to go.

Absolutely.

Some folk have extremely short memories, we have came on a mile since County away.

Fair play to QP, great start and caught us out cold, super goal and top class finish.

Thought their number 7 was very decent, some great wee touched and mad Super Jack make a top class save.

For us though it's another routine 3 points and we move on to next week where we will definitely get a stiffer test.

Thought Watt played well and cold have scored more.

MOM for.me though was McMann, he had a sloppy wee 5 mins in the first half but other than that he had a great game with a couple of assists.

Jim Goodwin's Tangerine Army.

30/9/2023 7:58 pm  #12

I'm nit a huge fan of 'assists' counting but how was Middleton with 4 assists?

We've all given him a slogging- signs of him coming into some form?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

30/9/2023 8:08 pm  #13

Tangy wrote:

I'm nit a huge fan of 'assists' counting but how was Middleton with 4 assists?

We've all given him a slogging- signs of him coming into some form?

Hope so, I just wish he would be a bit braver to get on it Tangy.

There is definitely a player in there, not seen the goals back but I thought it was McMann that set up Watts second not that it really matters.

Watts second was a great team goal.

30/9/2023 10:27 pm  #14

Cheers. Hoped he would come onto a game....🤞

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

01/10/2023 12:20 am  #15

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Some folk have extremely short memories, we have came on a mile since County away.

Hmmm. 

Us sitting 10th going into the split then losing all 5 games (including 3 at Tannadice) to send us down is still very fresh in the memory.

Yes, this season is going well (if we discount the League Cup disaster), but i will refrain from lauding Jim Goodwin just yet, if that's ok. We are playing at a lower level and are sitting exactly where we should be in the league table.

Didn't see any of the game so can't really comment on today. Delighted with the win though. It's high time we started winning well at Tannadice in this league.

Good to see Tony Watt finally make a positive contribution in terms of goals and i'm also very happy for Declan Glass. It's been a long time coming but he's finally getting a regular run in the team and doing well by all accounts.

01/10/2023 6:53 am  #16

Tek wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Hmmm. 

Us sitting 10th going into the split then losing all 5 games (including 3 at Tannadice) to send us down is still very fresh in the memory.

Yes, this season is going well (if we discount the League Cup disaster), but i will refrain from lauding Jim Goodwin just yet, if that's ok. We are playing at a lower level and are sitting exactly where we should be in the league table.

Didn't see any of the game so can't really comment on today. Delighted with the win though. It's high time we started winning well at Tannadice in this league.

Good to see Tony Watt finally make a positive contribution in terms of goals and i'm also very happy for Declan Glass. It's been a long time coming but he's finally getting a regular run in the team and doing well by all accounts.

There's not much merit in digging through the bones of last season's squad. Goodwin has done a review and binned almost the whole lot of em.

It does hurt about last season but everyone in the Mallard after the County away match or travelling home new the writing was on the wall. As we know it the hope that kills you, that gang were gutless and so it proved in the end.

The manager turned it round and again that lot shat the bed.

This season though, we are just getting results,  I wouldn't say performance wise it's great apart from Arbroath away but like the games after the split from last season it's results that count.

Glass and Watt done well,  didn't think that Goodwin should have subbed him.

01/10/2023 10:43 am  #17

Great result, resulting from from 4 great goals, and the moves that lead up to them.
Only wish some oe the open play in between was as good as the 4 goals we scored, esp. in the first 30 mins.

Pet hate. What did we do staright fae kick-off . Pass back straight to the keeper. We loss possession efter 10 secs and go 1 nil doon efter 45.

However we recovered well. In the 2nd half, we were mair in control oe the gehm. Looked like QP were knackered efter 80 mins.

Officials were'na the worst seen, but they did miss a couple oe definite fouls, or let them go.

MOTM for me Tony Watt, we Fothery closely in 2nd place. And Middleton gets a lotta credit for his 3 assists.

01/10/2023 5:30 pm  #18

Fell back asleep after I'd woken up in time for the game and missed the first 25 minutes. Haven't done that before.

I like the way Goodwin is trying to get us to play. Two major changes for me that are having an impact - we are trying to keep the ball and be patient but our possession is often one touch rather than two (like it was under the last 2 or 3 managers) which gives the opposition far less time to close off passing lanes. We are also looking to switch the ball quickly, or get it wide from central, far more often when it's tight down one side or in the middle, with the result that we're getting way more balls coming into the box from wide than we have for a very long time. It doesn't always work and sometimes it looks a wee bit clunky but overall it's paying off. Glass has taken on the distribution role that Levitt did so well in during his loan season with us. He's pinging 40 and 50 yard balls around, right to feet. And the slide rule pass through the channel yesterday that set up the cross for Watt's first goal was outstanding.

Happy for Watt to get the monkey off his back, but he still doesn't look fit enough to me. The difference in our high press when Moult is up front is night and day. Maybe that hard-working press just isn't Watt's game, but if that's the way were playing then it needs to be his game.

I'd like to see Kai get past his man with the ball a bit more often. Almost always in a 1 v 1 he doesn't get past his man. When he does get in a position to put a ball into the box from wide (usually because we've created an overload and he has been played in), he puts in a quality ball. I'd like to see a wee bit more explosive pace from him over the first 5 yards. Three goals by the end of September is a decent return from a lad who has played limited minutes though.

Happy enough with that performance and result.

01/10/2023 9:17 pm  #19

Just a general observation based on this season.

Football isn't simply about being the better and bigger team, I wish some of the folk who go to games listened to post match summations from the manager.

We've scouted our opponents, we know how they play and we counter that and really, in the two games we've drawn, missed chances means we should've won both.

It can come over as frustrating at the game, but in large spells Airdrie tried to frustrate us, but only once did one of our players bite, and they got through us, then we picked them off as they got sloppy as their keep the ball and do fuck all tactics never came to anything.

For a couple of short spells yesterday, Queens tried the same, fair enough if we're trailing and there's only 15 to go, press them, but with 30 minutes gone fans are screaming to close them down, make a tackle etc

A game lasts 90+ minutes, sure we'd all like to be sitting 4-0 up at half-time like v Arbroath, but some weeks it make take to almost the last kick, or we might score a couple in quick succession like yesterday.

Last season is still fresh in the memory, still raw and I get folk are angry, but I wish the crowd would be a bit more encouraging or patient, with the quality we have over other teams, most weeks it'll pay off.

It's almost completely a new team, almost all the main culprits from last season are gone and a couple of those who remained, who most of us wouldn't have been upset at leaving, have shown they can make big contributions, maybe they thrive on confidence.

It's been this way for years, but it does seem at times that from my seat anyway, a lot of the boys that go don't get to speak in the hoose, so they spend the whole game moaning like fuck at the players.

Away games, even when sober generally are a better experience, as most are choosing to be there, rather than a sense of obligation from buying a season ticket and having to attend.

It would be great if we could make Tannadice a place opposition teams fear coming to, rather than our own players having the fear of being berated for making a simple mistake.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

02/10/2023 11:43 am  #20

David_Blunkett wrote:

Football isn't simply about being the better and bigger team, I wish some of the folk who go to games listened to post match summations from the manager.

We've scouted our opponents, we know how they play and we counter that and really, in the two games we've drawn, missed chances means we should've won both.

It can come over as frustrating at the game, but in large spells Airdrie tried to frustrate us, but only once did one of our players bite, and they got through us, then we picked them off as they got sloppy as their keep the ball and do fuck all tactics never came to anything.

For a couple of short spells yesterday, Queens tried the same, fair enough if we're trailing and there's only 15 to go, press them, but with 30 minutes gone fans are screaming to close them down, make a tackle etc

A game lasts 90+ minutes, sure we'd all like to be sitting 4-0 up at half-time like v Arbroath, but some weeks it make take to almost the last kick, or we might score a couple in quick succession like yesterday.

Last season is still fresh in the memory, still raw and I get folk are angry, but I wish the crowd would be a bit more encouraging or patient, with the quality we have over other teams, most weeks it'll pay off.

It's almost completely a new team, almost all the main culprits from last season are gone and a couple of those who remained, who most of us wouldn't have been upset at leaving, have shown they can make big contributions, maybe they thrive on confidence.

It's been this way for years, but it does seem at times that from my seat anyway, a lot of the boys that go don't get to speak in the hoose, so they spend the whole game moaning like fuck at the players.

Away games, even when sober generally are a better experience, as most are choosing to be there, rather than a sense of obligation from buying a season ticket and having to attend.

It would be great if we could make Tannadice a place opposition teams fear coming to, rather than our own players having the fear of being berated for making a simple mistake.

The bit in bold I think applies to McMann. He’s thriving this season whereas last season he seemed to lack any confidence.

There’s a young laddie sits next to me and he spends most of the game screaming at players. His mother is exactly the same as well. I got so fed up with him on Saturday I actually asked him what he expected them to do. 

02/10/2023 1:32 pm  #21

David_Blunkett wrote:

A game lasts 90+ minutes, sure we'd all like to be sitting 4-0 up at half-time like v Arbroath, but some weeks it make take to almost the last kick, or we might score a couple in quick succession like yesterday

Good post but it’s a no from me. I don’t go to games to moan I want to be watching my team playing fast attacking football on the front foot , getting in the opposition players faces when they have the ball and at the very least putting in the effort that you would expect from a professional player. I know this isn’t always possible and Jim has a game plan but the first 35 minutes of Saturdays game had none of that and I can’t fault anyone who pays there hard earned money for letting the players know that it wasn’t good enough. When the team actually put some passes together and created some decent play the fans were quick to acknowledge this .
I’m all for  Tannadice being a place teams fear coming too but I would rather they feared the team on the park first and a boisterous home support who have been noised up by watching good attacking football from Utd.

02/10/2023 10:45 pm  #22

After 36min mark you'd write a page or two of positives about game, but here's another:

What's making a big difference this year is with the exception of mebbe Cudjoe v Dunfermline and Meekinson's v Airdrie all goals are well worked quality team (I'll include dead ball) goals the like of which we haven't seen week in week out in such good measure for years.
Highlighting this we've goals coming from all over the park, Holt top equal, Watt finally coming good, Glass assists (hate the term) I'd make him just about top equal.
Other highlight which I literally cannot remember since when we last had it was the emphasis on width on both wings.
I'm no wantin tae get carried away wi maself here and really you've got to wait tae Raith, Partick games and full round is played but for me I'm quietly confident.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (02/10/2023 10:50 pm)

02/10/2023 11:24 pm  #23

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Meekinson's v Airdrie .

Fotheringham 

02/10/2023 11:39 pm  #24

Tek wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Meekinson's v Airdrie .

Fotheringham 

.... Duuaaah me, acnnae even mind that far back, it's a worry !!

.... throw in another positive, in past years we've been up a goal goin into last 20, stuff it up and lose by a goal.
- this year we're playing and attacking, even twice with ten men and winning/drawing at the death

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (02/10/2023 11:45 pm)

03/10/2023 1:32 pm  #25

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

After 36min mark you'd write a page or two of positives about game, but here's another:

What's making a big difference this year is with the exception of mebbe Cudjoe v Dunfermline and Meekinson's v Airdrie all goals are well worked quality team (I'll include dead ball) goals the like of which we haven't seen week in week out in such good measure for years.
Highlighting this we've goals coming from all over the park, Holt top equal, Watt finally coming good, Glass assists (hate the term) I'd make him just about top equal.
Other highlight which I literally cannot remember since when we last had it was the emphasis on width on both wings.
I'm no wantin tae get carried away wi maself here and really you've got to wait tae Raith, Partick games and full round is played but for me I'm quietly confident.

I think the fact is that this league is very poor.  I'm hoping that we see that continue with a comfortable win against the apparent best of the rest.  Whilst we need to be encouraging the right type of play (which JG is clearly encouraging too) I fear that we just won't have the quality, if promoted, next season to benefit from it and we risk reverting to type.  That said, let's enjoy it while we can.

Board footera