Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/6/2023 2:00 am  #101

Re: Rebuilding United in the Championship

Sibbald was one of our better players last season. Be disappointing to lose him.

And even more disappointing to lose Fletcher.

21/6/2023 8:07 am  #102

Tek wrote:

Sibbald was one of our better players last season. Be disappointing to lose him.

If Fletcher does decide to retire, we should be looking to bring in Akinyemi. Top scorer last season and the type of striker we've been crying out for. Someone who can ragdoll defenders and stick the ball in the net.

21/6/2023 8:15 am  #103

Looking at the right back area, we only have Sheep that can play RB. I noticed Stephen O'Donnell is out of contract atvthe end of June. We'd be daft not to look at him.

21/6/2023 8:48 am  #104

Arab87 wrote:

Looking at the right back area, we only have Sheep that can play RB. I noticed Stephen O'Donnell is out of contract atvthe end of June. We'd be daft not to look at him.

The guy is finished and about as slow as a week in the tin pale.

We need guys with a point to prove, we have had enough players signing up for the pay cheque only.

Agree about the right back area though we really need a strong, quick defender to play in that area with Freeman as back up only.

Last edited by CCX2 2010 (21/6/2023 1:16 pm)

21/6/2023 8:51 am  #105

Tek wrote:

I would be disappointed if he retired but if he doesn't fancy Gayfield and Greenock then I hardly blame him for chucking it at 36 after the career he has had.

Sibbald was one of our better players but the bar was extremely low, he is a very average football player.

Last edited by CCX2 2010 (21/6/2023 1:14 pm)

21/6/2023 9:03 am  #106

I'd be happy enough to keep Sibbald.  Should be a good player at Championship level and to be honest I am not sure there would be many suitors at Prem level (although Kilmarnock are the interested team, apparently).  The main issue with him is fitness/health.  Not sure how sound he actually is.

As for Fletcher, If he has had enough then for me there is no point in trying to convince him otherwise.  He's not going back up next year he'll be well past his sell by date by then.  We need to find another main striker so for me we should be trying to do that this window.  Akinyemi being the obvious target.  Give that player a season (hopefully) in the Fizzy Pop League to get to know the team and bang in some goals before making the step up.

21/6/2023 4:47 pm  #107

Dundee United are closing in on a deal for Liam Grimshaw.

United are set to seal a move for the out-of-contract Morton midfielder.

Grimshaw can also provide cover for right-back or central midfield.

The 28-year-old also has top level experience in his two spells with Motherwell.

Grimshaw spent last season at Cappielow.

The former Manchester United youngster is set to be Goodwin’s second signing after his capture of Partick Thistle captain Ross Docherty.

Goodwin admitted he is looking for players who have been over the Championship course and can get United up at the first time of asking.

United are set to return for pre-season training later this week.

Last edited by JerryDungle (21/6/2023 4:48 pm)

21/6/2023 5:18 pm  #108

It would appear that Jim sees the gaps that every supporter in the stands could see.  Let's hope these boys are up to the task.  Couple of goalies next?

21/6/2023 5:41 pm  #109

I can't say I know too much about Grimshaw but he can't be worse than Freeman.

21/6/2023 6:19 pm  #110

Stillliving wrote:

I can't say I know too much about Grimshaw but he can't be worse than Freeman.

Going by his interview, Goodwin’s signed him more as a central midfielder who can fill in at the back if need be.

Still think we’ll be upgrading the RB position though. Goodwin ended up playing a winger there towards the end of the season ahead of Freeman, so he clearly doesn’t rate him. Nor do I for that, a Forfar/Montrose level player at best, no use going forward or defensively.

Last edited by JerryDungle (21/6/2023 6:19 pm)

21/6/2023 6:32 pm  #111

Pre season starts tomorrow

+ Charlie Mulgrew’s Instagram post this evening suggests he is still away on holiday playing tennis with his family

= Mulgrew has left United?

21/6/2023 6:45 pm  #112

Snacks94 wrote:

+ Charlie Mulgrew’s Instagram post this evening suggests he is still away on holiday playing tennis with his family

Was literally away to come on here and post that

21/6/2023 6:59 pm  #113

Grimshaw done his medical this morning, apparently Jim’s “delighted” at how fit he is.

Hopefully him and Docherty are the 2 engines we’ve been missing.

21/6/2023 7:01 pm  #114

Djoum’s not on the website under the 1st team, hopefully been told to bolt as well.

21/6/2023 7:22 pm  #115

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Djoum’s not on the website under the 1st team, hopefully been told to bolt as well.

Gutted

22/6/2023 1:31 am  #116

Snacks94 wrote:

Maybe he’s been given longer due to his age, seniority, the hard shift he put in last season and potential to spit the dummy when not given his own way. 

Seriously though, hope he’s not gonna be allowed to swan around the place doing whatever the feck he likes or is telt to GTF. 

Last edited by japanarab (22/6/2023 1:31 am)

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

22/6/2023 11:56 am  #117

Ex-funster Kevin Holt is signing. Shite according to my fun-supporting mates, but Partick Thistle fans seemed to rate him. Was a left back at the fun, but has been playing Left Centre Half at Thistle.

Last edited by JerryDungle (22/6/2023 11:59 am)

22/6/2023 6:19 pm  #118

No sign of Mulgrew…

Or Behich or Levitt…

Or Birighitti

From video on Twitter

22/6/2023 8:53 pm  #119

Snacks94 wrote:

No sign of Mulgrew…

Or Behich or Levitt…

Or Birighitti

From video on Twitter

Half were back today, the other half tomorrow  for fitness tests etc

23/6/2023 1:41 am  #120

Snacks94 wrote:

No sign of Mulgrew…

Or Behich or Levitt…

Or Birighitti

From video on Twitter

Mulgrew been told he’s no needed/wanted. Shame. 

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

23/6/2023 8:13 am  #121

Arab87 wrote:

Snacks94 wrote:

No sign of Mulgrew…

Or Behich or Levitt…

Or Birighitti

From video on Twitter

Half were back today, the other half tomorrow  for fitness tests etc

Not half and half, different session today.

23/6/2023 10:39 am  #122

By Alan Nixon

Motherwell are on red alert for veteran striker Steven Fletcher as his Dundee United future comes into doubt.

Fletcher may leave Tannadice to get back into the SPFL and a move to Scotland’s central belt may also suit him personally.

United hoped to keep Fletcher for their bid to bounce straight back and initial talks suggested he would.

However Well hope that Fletcher will do a U turn and choose to move on.

23/6/2023 1:14 pm  #123

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/4502188/dundee-united-sign-kevin-holt/

another addition to the squad, after a slow start things picking up and hopefully not finished yet!!

23/6/2023 3:15 pm  #124

Keith Watson just signed for Raith...would have rather had him back that signing Holt.  Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

23/6/2023 11:02 pm  #125

Djoum and Behich have told United they want to leave.

Fine by me. Djoum is a bonus, I thought he was gonna be hard for us to shift. I’ve never been particularly sold on Behich, looked good for Australia in the World Cup, but he’s never done it for United imo. Flogged multiple goals due to his inability to mark his man at the back post. Won’t be missed by me anyway.

Hopefully get a wee few for Behich and use it to get Harry Milne in from PartickThistle, would be much more useful at LB than Behich has ever been for us

Board footera