Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/3/2023 5:00 pm  #76

Re: New Manager Thread

Having slept on it, I'm in general agreement with Finn's sentiments. There are no guarantees, particularly for a team in our position. We asked for major changes and we got major changes. It might work. If these players down tools again, not only will they damage their own reputations and chances of interest from a decent team, but they'll potentially consign themselves to playing in the fizzy pop league next season.

If Goodwin's strength is putting out fires, that might keep us up. If he keeps us up, there's a good chance he'll be here for next season - when the remit will not be to put out fires but to build a squad capable of getting a top 6 finish and have a right good go in the cups. Is he the guy for that job?

If we go down, is there more chance of the take-over happening along with a clear-out of the Revolution grifters? Would there be more chance of getting Levein in as DoF with authority and a remit to put a long-term plan in place?

If we stay up, is it more likely we would remain under the control of Asghar's cronies?

Mixed feelings about all of this.

02/3/2023 10:04 pm  #77

My gut reaction is that it's too soon for Jim Goodwin to jump back into a job, particularly so at a crisis club like Utd who are bottom of the league and have lost 6 on the bounce.

I also fear he is over estimating our squad greatly and perhaps not realising just how poor the mentality has been amongst this group of players and that they have not only underachieved massively but also downed tools on more than one occasion this season.

It's not the appointment i would have made and i'm not sure it's right for either party.

All that said, he's here now and i respect him for putting his neck on the line and taking such a risky job so soon after his Aberdeen disappointment.

Good luck, Jim

03/3/2023 10:54 am  #78

The club know that under no circumstances would the supporters tolerate another 'extensive global recruitment process' line only for the person already at the club to be appointed.

I agree with most that Goodwin was not the obvious candidate but at this time any appointment has risks, now he has been appointed I am hoping he can give us a better structure so we don't have to fear every attack from the opposition will lead to a goal.  I think it will be interesting to see how he sets up the defence and midfield, but fear a lack of options in goal will not help him.

If he does stay longer term I wonder what will happen with the remainder of the coaching team, given none of them were his selections.

Lets all hope he succeeds!

03/3/2023 12:06 pm  #79

Well I’m feeling slightly more positive about things this morning. Fek knows why.

Want to wish Jim all the best. Hope he manages to motivate some of these players and he can turn our season round, starting with these sheepshagging bastards.

End of the day he keeps us up and it will now be considered a success. Sad but true.

Good luck Jim.

03/3/2023 10:20 pm  #80

Tell you what gives me confidence in the man is he interviews well.
Unlike Fox who was rabbit in the headlights  from the get go.
Goodwin seems straight talker and addresses problems and sets out his answers clearly and directly.

(+ Did he play for Haccies in one of their get out of jail seasons ? )

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (03/3/2023 10:24 pm)

04/3/2023 10:25 am  #81

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

You are correct Shakey. He played for them for 1 Season aboot 12 year ago.

05/3/2023 12:43 am  #82

Loved seeing Goodwin screaming at the officials and players.

05/3/2023 1:38 am  #83

Billy_Hainey wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

You are correct Shakey. He played for them for 1 Season aboot 12 year ago.

Cheers Billy.
Still hoping it'll stand him in good stead.

25/5/2023 12:48 pm  #84

Assuming Goodwin doesn’t get the gig-

Robbie Neilson.
Neil Lennon.
Callum Davidson.
Owen Coyle.
Graham Alexander.
Mark Fotheringham.
Kevin Thomson.

The usual names out of contract currently…

25/5/2023 3:34 pm  #85

What a depressing list.

25/5/2023 3:43 pm  #86

Shedtastic wrote:

What a depressing list.

Totally agree. I have no clue who we look to if not Goodwin.

Whoever it is though the decision needs to be made ASAP so we can start preparations for next season.

25/5/2023 6:09 pm  #87

Kevin Thompson would be a decent shout. I reckon Billy Dodds will throw his hat into the ring if Goodwin doesn't get it.

25/5/2023 7:16 pm  #88

Coyle or Goodwin for me

Board footera