Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27/2/2023 9:55 am  #26

Re: New Manager Thread

If it is true that Ogren has jetted back to the States, he's clearly left the Fat Controller to hire the next manager.  How he can't see that TA is the problem is beyond me.  He's either thick as mince or there is some other nefarious reason for keeping his podgy hands on the tiller.

27/2/2023 9:58 am  #27

JerryDungle wrote:

I’m 95% sure, going by the way the media’s posturing him, that’s it’s gonna be Courts.

People thinking it’s gonna be Lennon or Martindale are living on cloud cuckoo. As long as Asghar‘s here, we’ll only be hiring manager’s that dance to his tune, or is that not obvious by now?

In the open goal interview Martindale did he was asked if he would take a job with a DOF and he said that wouldn't stop him. Its prob TA side of things that will make it not happen as he wont want someone more competent in the building

27/2/2023 10:33 am  #28

Any decent prospective manager will reach out and find out what it is like to work with TA as a DOF and if (when more likely) they don't like what they hear they wont take the role.

Really need clarity on who selects the players and do players go round the head coach to speak to TA which undermines the role of head coach?

I don't get MO faith in him, he is a guy who after leaving the police decided he wanted to be an agent, and set up a few companies - by far the most successful seems to be the travel company so more of a travel agent than a football agent, have any players came out and said he was an agent for them; I've never heard any?  At the same time as he was an agent he was doing his course and then on completion decided to be a sports director.  He had to fool a naïve American into giving him a role as no one in their right mind would employ someone with no experience or background in the game as a sporting director.  He is well in the category of fake it until you make it and has surrounded himself with former employees and acolytes - so 'yes men'

I may just be incredibly frustrated but while TA is there I have a feeling no manager will succeed for us and there is no chance we will attract a decent candidate.  Fully expect the spiel about after a rigorous global search we have identified the person to take us forward as Stevie Crawford or Charlie Mulgrew!

Last edited by Lancashire-Arab (27/2/2023 10:34 am)

27/2/2023 10:40 am  #29

JerryDungle wrote:

I’m 95% sure, going by the way the media’s posturing him, that’s it’s gonna be Courts.

People thinking it’s gonna be Lennon or Martindale are living on cloud cuckoo. As long as Asghar‘s here, we’ll only be hiring manager’s that dance to his tune, or is that not obvious by now?

I really, really hope it's not Courts.

That Martindale stuff is unreal. He's not going to leave Livi at this point in the season  to take on that joke of a squad we have.
Never mind the fact that we'd never be able to pay the Compo Livi would want for him.

If its not Mulgrew, our next head coach will be someone who's currently out of work.

27/2/2023 3:47 pm  #30

AlwaysUnited wrote:

japanarab wrote:

“May I ask what Jim McInally has done to be considered worthy of the Dundee United job? His record at Peterhead was mediocre, primarily notable for its longevity.”

May I ask what Liam Fox did to be considered worthy of the Dundee United job? His record at Cowdenbeath was mediocre

If that's directed at me, then I'm not sure why. I didn't appoint Liam, but like all Dundee United managers once he had the job I backed him to the hilt.

I notice nobody actually answered my question about what Jim McInally has done to be considered worthy of the job, aside from a post about his team working hard in 2020, and being a former player who would care about the club.

For what it's worth, Jim had a win record of 44% with the Peterhead spending most of its time between League 1 and League 2 during his time in charge.

If he was to be appointed I would, of course, give him my full backing.

That record isn't even that bad. I feel you are being overly harsh and somewhat dismissive of Jim McInally's record there.

Peterhead are a small team who were a Highland League team until about 20 years ago.

Despite struggling to attract signings like the Central belt teams can due to their remote location, McInally won the club their first ever trophy in the SPFL by winning the League Two title in 2014.

In 2015 he took them to their first Cup Final in the SPFL as they met Rangers in the Challenge Cup Final.

They are playing roughly where they should be for a club of their size, and for awhile he had them punching above their weight. They have always been fit, organised and hungry as displayed by their performance and deserved win at Tannadice in 2020 and more recently in their Scottish Cup tie against Dundee, where although they were beaten on the night they played largely the better football and were very unlucky not to score on several occasions.

We are only looking for someone here to take the club for about a dozen games and ensure we stay up. We could do way worse than McInally. He would get the players organised and hungry, and would have the fans backing massively.

Can i counter ask, what has Frank Lampard done in management to make him a consideration for you?

27/2/2023 3:53 pm  #31

Tek wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

japanarab wrote:

“May I ask what Jim McInally has done to be considered worthy of the Dundee United job? His record at Peterhead was mediocre, primarily notable for its longevity.”

May I ask what Liam Fox did to be considered worthy of the Dundee United job? His record at Cowdenbeath was mediocre

If that's directed at me, then I'm not sure why. I didn't appoint Liam, but like all Dundee United managers once he had the job I backed him to the hilt.

I notice nobody actually answered my question about what Jim McInally has done to be considered worthy of the job, aside from a post about his team working hard in 2020, and being a former player who would care about the club.

For what it's worth, Jim had a win record of 44% with the Peterhead spending most of its time between League 1 and League 2 during his time in charge.

That record isn't even that bad. I feel you are being overly harsh and somewhat dismissive of Jim McInally's record there.

Peterhead are a small team who were a Highland League team until about 20 years ago.

Despite struggling to attract signings like the Cntral belt teams due to their remore location, McInally won the club their first ever trophy in the SPFL by winning the League Two title in 2014.

In 2015 he took them to their first Cup Final in the SPFL as they met Rangers in the Challenge Cup Final.

They are playing roughly where they should be for a club of their size, and for awhile he had them punching above their weight. They have always been fit, organised and hungry as didplayed by their performance at Tannadice in 2020 and more recently in their Scottish Cup tie against Dundee, where although they were beaten on the night they played largely the better football and were very unlucky.

We are only looking for someone to take the club for about a dozen games and ensure we stay up. We could do way worse than McInally.

Can i counter ask, what has Frank Lampard done in management to make him a consideration?

This Lampard thing is being blown out of proportion. I only mentioned him as an out of work manager with a reputation to rebuild, who has managed at a similar level (Derby County) in the recent past. I'm not touting him for the job, although if Steve Mclaren was interested then you never know.

Anyway - I've said my piece on McInally and am happy to rest on my words. Let's hope we have a new manager to discuss very soon.

27/2/2023 4:53 pm  #32

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Tek wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Despite struggling to attract signings like the Cntral belt teams due to their remore location, McInally won the club their first ever trophy in the SPFL by winning the League Two title in 2014.

They are playing roughly where they should be for a club of their size, and for awhile he had them punching above their weight. They have always been fit, organised and hungry as didplayed by their performance at Tannadice in 2020 and more recently in their Scottish Cup tie against Dundee, where although they were beaten on the night they played largely the better football and were very unlucky.

We are only looking for someone to take the club for about a dozen games and ensure we stay up. We could do way worse than McInally.

Can i counter ask, what has Frank Lampard done in management to make him a consideration?

This Lampard thing is being blown out of proportion. I only mentioned him as an out of work manager with a reputation to rebuild, who has managed at a similar level (Derby County) in the recent past. I'm not touting him for the job, although if Steve Mclaren was interested then you never know.

Anyway - I've said my piece on McInally and am happy to rest on my words. Let's hope we have a new manager to discuss very soon.

You should pop off across the road and support the Dees - you're made for each other. 

Last edited by Finn Seemann (27/2/2023 4:53 pm)

27/2/2023 9:04 pm  #33

Lancashire-Arab wrote:

Any decent prospective manager will reach out and find out what it is like to work with TA as a DOF and if (when more likely) they don't like what they hear they wont take the role.

Really need clarity on who selects the players and do players go round the head coach to speak to TA which undermines the role of head coach?

I don't get MO faith in him, he is a guy who after leaving the police decided he wanted to be an agent, and set up a few companies - by far the most successful seems to be the travel company so more of a travel agent than a football agent, have any players came out and said he was an agent for them; I've never heard any?  At the same time as he was an agent he was doing his course and then on completion decided to be a sports director.  He had to fool a naïve American into giving him a role as no one in their right mind would employ someone with no experience or background in the game as a sporting director.  He is well in the category of fake it until you make it and has surrounded himself with former employees and acolytes - so 'yes men'

I may just be incredibly frustrated but while TA is there I have a feeling no manager will succeed for us and there is no chance we will attract a decent candidate.  Fully expect the spiel about after a rigorous global search we have identified the person to take us forward as Stevie Crawford or Charlie Mulgrew!

I think what you maybe don’t know, is Asghar’s relationship with Kenny Moyes (David’s younger brother). They have known each other since primary school and played together in a number of teams. Kenny had a sports touring company, which expanded to become Libero Ltd. Even when he was working in Clydebank CID, Asghar held a position in the company. As David Moyes managerial career moved from Preston NE to Everton to ManU, their clientele became more prestigious. The company then expanded from doing tours to becoming an all round sports agency.

When Asghar enrolled in the initial MSD programme at Manchester Met, it gave him the opportunity to meet a lot of well connected people. He then formed “the collective” at Revolution GSC. They have represented Callum McGregor and I think Charlie Adam. I seem to recall Alan Gow had some involvement too. It might be worth looking at Revolution GSC on Twitter.

27/2/2023 10:27 pm  #34

Macbonzo wrote:

Lancashire-Arab wrote:

I think what you maybe don’t know, is Asghar’s relationship with Kenny Moyes (David’s younger brother). They have known each other since primary school and played together in a number of teams. Kenny had a sports touring company, which expanded to become Libero Ltd. Even when he was working in Clydebank CID, Asghar held a position in the company. As David Moyes managerial career moved from Preston NE to Everton to ManU, their clientele became more prestigious. The company then expanded from doing tours to becoming an all round sports agency.

When Asghar enrolled in the initial MSD programme at Manchester Met, it gave him the opportunity to meet a lot of well connected people. He then formed “the collective” at Revolution GSC. They have represented Callum McGregor and I think Charlie Adam. I seem to recall Alan Gow had some involvement too. It might be worth looking at Revolution GSC on Twitter.

I was not aware of that relationship, but it does not change my view.  I did research before i posted and all of the companies that were part of the revolution sport collective have been dissolved some by compulsory strike off (usually for not submitting annual accounts) some voluntary.  i admit they may have had some players and managers as clients but the companies were not in existence for very long and we see no benefit of the network. As for the MSD course we have no evidence of the well connected people he met.

If we have to agree to disagree I can cope with that but i don't see how completing a course means you will be good in that role and how any of the previous businesses guarantee success in the SD role.  if i did the course would many accept me in that role.

As i said we can agree to have differing opinions, i really dont wish to fall out with anyone over TA.

27/2/2023 11:01 pm  #35

I absolutely agree with you. I’m not defending him at all. I just thought I would fill in some blanks. I think if you read my very first post (ever), you may get the picture.

28/2/2023 9:18 am  #36

Macbonzo wrote:

I absolutely agree with you. I’m not defending him at all. I just thought I would fill in some blanks. I think if you read my very first post (ever), you may get the picture.

MB, what is the man like then?  I agree with your earlier point which is I think that whilst Asghar brokered the Ogren deal he may not have actually anticipated that he'd be running the club?  Ogren then for some reason decided he wanted Tony to run the show and lo and behold we've been stuck with a boy with an over-inflated opinion of his ability slowly killing our club.  But why can't Ogren see this?  Tony's previous corporate efforts don't show any competency to do this properly (unless he's mastered phoenixing which is clearly not laudible in any respect).

Last edited by Finn Seemann (28/2/2023 9:19 am)

01/3/2023 12:47 pm  #37

Daily record saying Goodwin is favs now.

01/3/2023 1:06 pm  #38

Yogi Hughes got interviewed yesterday.

01/3/2023 1:55 pm  #39

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Yogi Hughes got interviewed yesterday.

No, please no.! Between this and hearing Goodwin is frontrunner, the good mood of yesterday is quickly disappearing.

01/3/2023 2:06 pm  #40

Talks broken down with Levein so he isn’t coming in at all.

01/3/2023 2:08 pm  #41

Fuck sake!  From the optimism of yesterday to Hughes or Goodwin today!!  Rollercoaster as ever

01/3/2023 2:10 pm  #42

Temple from the Courier saying expect swift progress on Goodwin.

01/3/2023 2:27 pm  #43

Would like to hear the differences between the club and CL but we’re not gonna find that out sadly. The courier hinted at contract length, wages and Levein’s role.

01/3/2023 3:28 pm  #44

I don't know how Goodwin got the Aberdeen job in the first place after doing an ok but nothing special job at St Mirren. He certainly did a poor job at Aberdeen, somehow managing to lose 4-0 to us as well as losing in the cup to fucking Darvel.

I'd be pretty disappointed if he gets the job.

Last edited by Rick Dagless (01/3/2023 3:36 pm)

01/3/2023 3:29 pm  #45

Jim Goodwin is an outstanding choice. It didn't quite work out at Aberdeen but I think we can lay the blame at the door of his players for that.

He worked wonders at both Alloa and St Mirren, and I believe he is just the man we need.

01/3/2023 3:34 pm  #46

Absolutely gutted that we’ve missed out on Levein.  Goodwin is about the last person I wanted in charge.  Seriously pissed off with this.

01/3/2023 3:37 pm  #47

Would have took Yogi instead of Goodwin.

01/3/2023 3:48 pm  #48

Lee Sharp and Charlie Mulgrew to assist Goodwin…

01/3/2023 3:54 pm  #49

Whether Goodwin will be the answer is debatable.
I would also lay the same amount of doubt around Levein.
Both were sacked by their previous employers.
Goodwin 4weeks ago Levein 4yrs ago.
If Levein was not here before (13yrs ago ) he would not be in the conversation.

01/3/2023 4:42 pm  #50

Stillliving wrote:

Whether Goodwin will be the answer is debatable.
I would also lay the same amount of doubt around Levein.
Both were sacked by their previous employers.
Goodwin 4weeks ago Levein 4yrs ago.
If Levein was not here before (13yrs ago ) he would not be in the conversation.

Agreed. Wasn’t really getting the love in for Levein over the past few days just as I don’t get the absolute seethe regarding Goodwin. Every appointment is a gamble and this is no different. Goodwin will get my backing until 8pm on Saturday then I reserve the right to call him a grey haired arsehole who I want nowhere near the club.

Board footera