Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/2/2023 5:51 pm  #1

Rebuilding United in the Championship

Long Read Warning 

Might be fatalistic to do this in February, but I'm sure I'm no the only one who's consigned to the inevitable. I've no faith in this squad's ability to fight tooth and nail in the run in, and even if Fox is emptied, the only manager's we're gonna get are one's like Fox with no self-respect, who are just grateful to be given the job and will dance to Asghar's tune.

What is certain is there's no way this club can sustain the wages we're paying just now in the championship, to be honest, I'm not sure we can even sustain it in the Premier League. And going by Asghar's comments when quizzed on the subject, we were too arrogant to consider even the possibility that we might get relegated when we handed out some of these massive contracts.

I sat down this morning and looked at who's out of contract for us come the  this season, and to a man, there's not one I'd even consider keeping, save maybe Newman, but he is still clearly miles off a first team place. I also had a look at players out of contract in Scotland that are realistic for us in the Championship, some are boys in the Premiership who are at teams that we could probably match or better wage-wise, even in the championship, and players in the lower leagues who could potentially make the step up to the level we're after.

For me, it's absolutely vital we ditch this "players with international caps" signing policy of Asghar's, it's arrogant and self-aggrandising. Most international players that we can attract come at a heavy cost, are usually on the downward trajectory of their careers and are just looking for a final payday which their waning talents do not justify. When the chips are down, they're not even remotely interested in putting in the required graft, instead look like they're feeling sorry for themselves and the situation they find themselves in. It says it all when Sibbald, who's signing was met with consternation from a lot of people, has been perhaps the only one who you'd give pass marks to this season.

For me, we need to get back to signing players who are hungry and want to improve, and see United as a step up for them and their careers, these types of signings (Gomis, Swanson, Conway, Buaben, Shankland etc.)  have worked out for us far more often than signing boys with big reputations, who for the most part end up failing spectacularly.

Out of contract for us this summer are:

Ryan Edwards
Liam Smith
Ian Harkes
Peter Pawlett
Immi Niskanen
Jack Newman

Bin them all. Edwards is a fucking joke captain for us, his body language and lack of giving a fuck-ness was back to Celtic 9-0 levels yesterday, that alone is says it all about him, he has been nothing less than an absolute fucking disgrace for us this season. Same goes for Smith, but I think his problem is more that he is just utter dogshit. Harkes just doesn't justify his massive wages and should have been binned last summer. Pawlett is unfortunately made of chocolate, which we knew, but inexplicably gave him a new contract two years ago. Niskanen, nice fella but just not good enough. Newman you could argue is still young, and won't be costing us a bomb, so could justify keeping, but he needs at least another two years out on loan getting first team experience, cause he's nowhere near it just now.

Up next is players still in contract, who for various reasons, we should be looking to get rid of

Dylan Levitt - A faint shadow of the player we saw last year, and is one that looks like he doesn't want to be here anymore, and certainly won't want to play in the championship. On current form, he's no loss to us anyway, and we may get a few hundred grand if we sell.

Aziz Behich - Can see he's a good player, but isn't suited to Scottish football at all, we lose a lot of goals down his side, particularly in a back 4. Also won't want to play Championship football, and could fetch us a transfer fee.

Charlie Mulgrew - Like Edwards, an utter disgrace of a boy, who has far too much influence for his waning ability. Toxic and we must get rid, this is one of the most important move we can make this summer.

Tony Watt - Still has two years on his deal, and we're the only chunts stupid enough to give a striker who's never hit double figures in a single season throughout a 10-year career, 5 grand a week. Because of this, will likely have to be loaned out for the remainder of his contract, with us picking up a big chunk of that. Like Mulgrew though must get rid, toxic.

Steven Fletcher - Probably won't fancy championship football, also will be costing us a lot in wages. Undoubtably has ability as a targetman, but in all honesty, hasn't justified his salary, as a striker you're judged on goals, and he's not a goalscorer.

Mark Birighitti - Nothing needs to be said here, I'd send him home now and just tell him to get back to us once he's found a club, so we can terminate his deal.

Arnaud Djoum - Might be the hardest to move on. Maybe had something in the past, but it's gone now. Can't see what he offers us, unfortunately neither will anyone else. Why we gave him a two year deal, I'll never know, should have been short term till January to see what like.

Saku Eriksson - Shite, hopefully the Danish club are willing to take him off our hands permanently.

Logan Chalmers & Declan Glass - Clearly not gonna make it here, either send out on loan for final year of their deals, or get rid permanently.

McGrath and Aniya - Will go back to their parent clubs, actually like McGrath, but won't want to play in the Championship, and we're also paying a massive chunk of his wages at Wigan.

That Leaves us with:

Kieran Freeman
Scott McMann
Ross Graham
Craig Sibbald
Glenn Middleton
Archie Meekinson
Chris Mochrie
Kai Fotheringham
Matty Cudjoe
Sadat Anaku

Scary, but they're the only ones I'd be for keeping, and would realistically want to play in the championship. Big question marks over Cudjoe and Anaku, and their ability to hack it in Scottish football, especially the championship. Cudjoe particularly has something, but needs to man up.

Like I say, I had a look at players out of contract in Scotland that we may have sniff of getting, and also at lower league players that have been doing well that may be gettable despite being in contract next season at their clubs.

Robby McCrorie - Rangers - Good keeper, but will never likely be first choice at Rangers, might only be gettable as a loan, as will likely be on a good wage, but he's all that stands out keeper wise to me.

Scott Fox - Cove Rangers - Probably an average journeyman keeper, but might be fine as a cheap, experienced in Scottish football, number two.

Nicky Devlin - Livingston - Out of contract, and one of the better right backs in the league, should have signed him years ago.

Jack Fitzwater - Livingston - Out of contract, yet again, one of the better centre halves in the league, Big, youngish, and has a good grounding under Martindale.

Alex Iacovitti - Ross County - Out of Contract, solid left-sided centre half, by all accounts, one of County's best players. Yet again, relatively young, and a big unit of a boy.

Harry Milne - Partick Thistle - Might cost a small fee, but apparently really good going forward at left back, and been one of the best players in the Championship this season, good enough for the Premiership from what I'm told.

Owen Moxon - Carlisle United - Also may cost a small fee, ex Queen of the South and Annan, has apparently been pretty good down south for Carlisle, an aggressive centre midfielder in the Butcher mould. Big, strong, qualities we'll need in the Championship

Jason Holt - Livingston - Out of Contract - Really underrated player, will give us a bit of quality with his passing and vision in the middle of the park, also isn't scared to put the foot in, experienced too.

Grant Savoury - Queen's Park - May cost a small fee again, but apparently one of the best players in the Championship this season, 5 goals and 7 assists so far. Ex Celtic kid, who spent a year out of football before joining Peterhead and getting a move to Queen's Park, good enough for Premiership football from what I'm told.

Scott Tiffoney - Partick Thistle - Out of Contract - been linked before, good, quick direct, right footed winger, we'll need pace in the Championship.

Daniel Armstrong - Kilmarnock - Out of Contract - Stood out as Kilmarnock's best player every time we've played them this season, has a bit of pace and ability to get a decent cross in. Left footer as well.

Dipo Akinyemi - Ayr United - Might cost a wee bit, but Shankland showed us how important it is to have a goalscorer in the Championship, looks big, strong and reasonably quick. 15 goals this season, so knows where the net is.

Eamonn Brophy - St Mirren - Thought he was outstanding against us yesterday, not that we made it difficult, but he's quick and chases everything down, and also knows where the net is, his performance yesterday reminded me a lot of Johnny Russell. Just a shame he wasn't one of those elusive players we can't afford yet still try to sign for Asghar, or he might have been ours. May be able to swap for Watt, but St. Mirren clearly want rid.

Obviously we're not limited to just signing players from Scotland, but most of these boys would see United as a step up in their careers, and hopefully would have that drive and hunger to work hard that we just haven't seen this season, most come from clubs and backgrounds that would instill that mentality in them. Would be good to watch players look like they give a fuck and not look like they'd rather be anywhere else in the world, and I guarantee you'd be more likely to see that from the boys listed above than the current wasters in Tangerine shirts. Good mix of pace and strength among the players listed as well, and none of them would cost an absolute fortune in wages. In fact I'd be suprised if they cost even half of the players they were replacing.

Other players I noted;
Jack Baldwin
Ayo Obileye
Lewis Strapp
Stephane Omeonga
Conor McGrandles
Fraser Murray
Kevin Van Veen

Last edited by JerryDungle (26/2/2023 6:01 pm)

26/2/2023 6:42 pm  #2

Re: Rebuilding United in the Championship

^you've just put our global scouting network to shame here

‘young & hungry’ is the way to go for sure.

26/2/2023 7:22 pm  #3

MockChop wrote:

^you've just put our global scouting network to shame here

‘young & hungry’ is the way to go for sure.

Defo. This is all pie in the sky though. I doubt the fat one even knows who most of these players are, they’ll not have enough international caps for him to even be worthy of casting his beady eyes over.

Obviously this is predicated on emptying Asghar, and also binning the sporting director model as a whole, along with his army of freeloaders. Get a business minded person to run the business side of the club, and get a proper experienced manager in to handle the football side. If it were me, I’d be trying my hardest to convince Derek McInnes to leave Kilmarnock for us. I have no doubts that he’d have us back as a regular top 6 side given time. Martindale would also be an astute appointment, if people could get over his gadgee accent. Watched a few of his Open Goal interviews, and he’s a proper football manager.

26/2/2023 8:15 pm  #4

Must be a few B team/Reserve team players who are out of contract in the summer 

26/2/2023 9:04 pm  #5

It won’t be fox anyway. Sacked. Official.

26/2/2023 9:13 pm  #6

Unfortunately, ‘rip it up and start again’ is vital.

Ian Murray, Lee Bullen etc. a cheap, astute hire is needed. Or a Neil Lennon ‘fear of god’ approach. All hinges on board room reconstruction & big attitude change

26/2/2023 10:02 pm  #7

Done this at work last week in my head, was utterly scunnered after Killie drawing ICT so spent the remainder of my shift building a good championship team.

Agreed releasing every out of contract player. Added: Birighitti, Erikkson, Behich, Mulgrew, Djoum, Levitt, McGrath, Glass, Chalmers, Niskanen and Fletcher (doubt Levitt, McGrath, Fletcher etc would want to stay nor could we afford to keep them).

GK-Fulton (free from Hamilton)

RB-Freeman
CB-Deas (free from ICT)
CB-Graham
LB-McMann

CDM-Polworth (free from Killie)
CDM-Sibbald

RAM-Middleton
CAM-Armstrong (free from Killie)
LAM-Tiffoney (free from Partick)

ST- Main (free from St Mirren)

Said it ever since we got promoted, I wanted us to line up like a Tommy Wright St Johnstone team. Tough at the back, energetic and not be bullied.

Let’s hope it never comes to this.

26/2/2023 10:14 pm  #8

The players I suggested combined with what we’d still have leaves us with.

Goalkeepers - McCrorie & Fox

Right Backs - Devlin & Freeman

Left Backs - Milne & McMann

Centre Backs - Fitzwater, Iacovitti & Graham

Centre Mids - Moxon, Holt, Sibbald & Meekison (when fit)

Right Wingers - Tiffoney, Fotheringham, Cudjoe

Left Wingers - Middleton, Armstrong

10’s - Savoury, Mochrie

Strikers - Akinyemi, Brophy Anaku

So still a right centre half for backup, another centre mid and possibly another striker light. Jack Baird at Morton has gotten rave reviews this season, can’t imagine he’d demand big money, the boy Harrison Biggins that we were linked with last summer seems to have done no bad there, 5 goals from central midfield this season.

26/2/2023 10:18 pm  #9

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Done this at work last week in my head, was utterly scunnered after Killie drawing ICT so spent the remainder of my shift building a good championship team.

Agreed releasing every out of contract player. Added: Birighitti, Erikkson, Behich, Mulgrew, Djoum, Levitt, McGrath, Glass, Chalmers, Niskanen and Fletcher (doubt Levitt, McGrath, Fletcher etc would want to stay nor could we afford to keep them).

RB-Freeman
CB-Deas (free from ICT)
CB-Graham
LB-McMann

CDM-Sibbald

RAM-Middleton

Said it ever since we got promoted, I wanted us to line up like a Tommy Wright St Johnstone team. Tough at the back, energetic and not be bullied.

It is coming to this I’m afraid. I can’t see us staying up, too much apathy around the club now. When your chairman comes out and says he’s okay with relegation, what message does that send to the squad?

On your list, Deas and Graham are both left sided centre halves, so would probably be a bit unbalanced. We should be aiming for better full backs than Freeman and McMann. Harry Milne has been getting rave reviews at Thistle and Devlin is defo an upgrade on Freeman.

Polworth more of a number 10 than a centre mid, with him and Sibbald there, you’d have the same problem as this season, teams would run over the top of us.

And Main doesn’t score near enough to be our number 9.

26/2/2023 10:23 pm  #10

JerryDungle wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

RB-Freeman
CB-Deas (free from ICT)
CB-Graham
LB-McMann

CDM-Sibbald

RAM-Middleton

It is coming to this I’m afraid. I can’t see us staying up, too much apathy around the club now. When your chairman comes out and says he’s okay with relegation, what message does that send to the squad?

On your list, Deas and Graham are both left sided centre halves, so would probably be a bit unbalanced. We should be aiming for better full backs than Freeman and McMann. Harry Milne has been getting rave reviews at Thistle and Devlin is defo an upgrade on Freeman.

Polworth more of a number 10 than a centre mid, with him and Sibbald there, you’d have the same problem as this season, teams would run over the top of us.

And Main doesn’t score near enough to be our number 9.

I just worked off TransferMarkt, heard that boy Harry Milne was getting good reviews on the Tele podcast.

27/2/2023 2:37 am  #11

Ross Graham is mince, every showing this season has proved that the last campaign was a fluke.

27/2/2023 8:45 am  #12

Shedtastic wrote:

Ross Graham is mince, every showing this season has proved that the last campaign was a fluke.

I agree, hoping it’s down to a lack of confidence in those around him, but he’s been woeful this season. He could still regain form with better players around him, but I defo wouldn’t be going into the season with him as one of the first choice centre halves. Hence my suggestion of Iacovitti as our left-sided centre half.

27/2/2023 11:01 am  #13

This thread makes me want to cry.  If we had pulled in even half these boys (plugging the obvious gaps) together with a couple of the 'internationals' TA has brought in then we'd surely not be in this position, would have had the platform to bring a few youngsters through properly and would have spent half the cash we've pissed down the wall.

How TA is still in a job is mind boggling.

25/5/2023 2:35 am  #14

BUMP

25/5/2023 4:25 pm  #15

Went through a list of Premiership players that are out of contract at the end of the season. This is the few who may be worth looking at, some more than others. Massive lack of strikers there, and we know from previous season’s in the Championship that it’s a position you need to get right.

Sam Walker - GK (Kilmarnock)
Conor Hazard - GK (Celtic)
Kieran Wright - GK (Rangers)
Ross Stewart - GK (Hearts)
Scott Fox - GK (Motherwell)
Stephen O’Donnell - RB (Motherwell)
Keith Watson - RB (Ross County)
Paul McGinn - RB (Motherwell)
Jack Fitzwater - RCB (Livingston)
Dan Casey - RCB (Motherwell)
Mikey Devlin - RCB (Hibernian)
Alex Iacovitti- LCB (Ross County)
Stephane Omeonga - DM (Livingston)
Dean Campbell - DM (Aberdeen)
Liam Donnelly - DM (Kilmarnock)
Jason Holt - CM (Livingston)
Sean Goss - CM (Motherwell)
Andrew Shinnie - CM (Livingston)
Robert Snodgrass - CM (Hearts)
Matty Kennedy - RW (Aberdeen)
Fraser Murray - RW (Aberdeen)
Gary Mackay-Steven - LW (Hearts)
David Wotherspoon - AM ( St. Johnstone)
Liam Polworth - AM (Kilmarnock)

Off that list, I’d absolutely be trying to get Fitzwater, Iacovitti & Casey at the back. Stephen O’Donnell surely to fuck has to be an upgrade on Smith and Freeman. Jason Holt would be a brilliant signing for us. Wotherspoon another one who would probably be a smart signing. Matty Kennedy maybe would offer us something on the wing. And GMS if his body can still take professional football would obviously be a major improvement on what we have

25/5/2023 5:50 pm  #16

JerryDungle wrote:

Went through a list of Premiership players that are out of contract at the end of the season. This is the few who may be worth looking at, some more than others. Massive lack of strikers there, and we know from previous season’s in the Championship that it’s a position you need to get right.

Off that list, I’d absolutely be trying to get Fitzwater, Iacovitti & Casey at the back. Stephen O’Donnell surely to fuck has to be an upgrade on Smith and Freeman. Jason Holt would be a brilliant signing for us. Wotherspoon another one who would probably be a smart signing. Matty Kennedy maybe would offer us something on the wing. And GMS if his body can still take professional football would obviously be a major improvement on what we have

For a striker - Ryan Hardie.

25/5/2023 6:10 pm  #17

Arab87 wrote:

JerryDungle wrote:

Has just been promoted to the Championship with Plymouth, they’re trying to get him to sign a new contract. I doubt he’s chucking the King Power and Elland Road/Goodison for a crack at Cappielow and Gayfield.

25/5/2023 6:13 pm  #18

We should be looking at current championship players with a bit of hunger .
Try and sign the most physical players from Morton, Raith, Inverness ect.
Kick your way out of the Championship is the way forward.

25/5/2023 6:45 pm  #19

JerryDungle wrote:

Arab87 wrote:

JerryDungle wrote:

Has just been promoted to the Championship with Plymouth, they’re trying to get him to sign a new contract. I doubt he’s chucking the King Power and Elland Road/Goodison for a crack at Cappielow and Gayfield.

Aye, just a suggestion of the type of player that we should be after. Akinyemi from Ayr would be a decent shout too.

25/5/2023 6:53 pm  #20

Stillliving wrote:

Jamie Macdonald is 37 but I’d take him for a season in the sticks. Like the look of the Morton left back Lewis Strapp and Partick winger Tiffoney as well. Both are 23 and 24 so a decent age too.

25/5/2023 7:50 pm  #21

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Jamie Macdonald is 37 but I’d take him for a season in the sticks. Like the look of the Morton left back Lewis Strapp and Partick winger Tiffoney as well. Both are 23 and 24 so a decent age too.

Yup, there are some boys in the Championship that are well worth a sniff. Harry Milne at Patrick Thistle is the best left back in the league by a distance. Tiffoney is another one, out of contract too. Grant Savoury at QP would be a good signing, but has just done his knee. Aidan Connolly (remember him) has just had a really good season at Raith too, 10 goals and 5 assists in the league this year, might be be worth bringing back now that he’s matured. Always thought he had something about him.

Last edited by JerryDungle (25/5/2023 8:15 pm)

25/5/2023 8:01 pm  #22

The year we won the championship, we had a solid spine to the team of Benji, Connolly, Reynolds, Butcher, Clark and Shankland. We need something like this again.
A goalkeeper I would look at for player/coaching role would be Michael McGovern with Hazard as backup.

For CH we have guys out of contract like Fitzwater, Charles Dunne and Dan Casey.

Centre midfield Kyle Turner is out of contract, good player, box to box, can create, score and put his foot in.

Was thinking that Peterborough are not wanting Jeando Fuchs, maybe a season long loan with us paying 50% of the wages?

Out wide, Tiffoney has been mentioned, I'd also take a look at Josh Mullin. Experienced, good technical player and really good delivery.

Strikers, Akinyemi would be ideal, perhaps tempt Ayr with a small fee + 2 players (Glass and Chalmers)

25/5/2023 8:06 pm  #23

Michael Smith from Hearts just been released.

34 now, but always impressed me anytime we played them.

Would be decent in the Championship.

25/5/2023 8:15 pm  #24

Another one I forgot to mention is Malachi Boateng, centre mid who was on loan at QP from Crystal Palace last season. He’s the one who scored the absolute raker in their game against the fun the other week. Seemingly was a level above for them in the second half of last season.

25/5/2023 8:17 pm  #25

2 players that I would take from ICT and they're out of contract is Deas (can play CH and LB) and Wallace Duffy (can play RB and CH).

Board footera