Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/10/2022 10:40 pm  #1

Ross County vs Dundee Utd - Saturday 15th October

Will we play the same winning starting XI for the 3rd game in a row? Should we?

3rd game in 7 days. Worth freshening the team up in a couple of positions?

14/10/2022 1:34 am  #2

Re: Ross County vs Dundee Utd - Saturday 15th October

I’d keep the same and “freshen up” for the cup game. Can Sibbald handle it though? I’d rather have Sibbald for a half or 60 minutes than Harkes for 90 mind you. A win up there and favorable results elsewhere could see us in a great position compared to 2 weeks ago. 

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

14/10/2022 7:14 am  #3

japanarab wrote:

I’d keep the same and “freshen up” for the cup game. Can Sibbald handle it though? I’d rather have Sibbald for a half or 60 minutes than Harkes for 90 mind you. A win up there and favorable results elsewhere could see us in a great position compared to 2 weeks ago. 

Yeah same for me, players have to know if they are performing then they will be playing.

14/10/2022 6:35 pm  #4

Sibbald didn't play 90 minutes in either of the last 2 games so hopefully he's good to go again tomorrow. I would definitely keep him in the team. I'd be tempted to put Archie in for Levitt or McGrath, at least for the first half, to give them a break. Wouldn't make too many other changes, but would like to see Imme, Sadat and Pawlett all get 20 minutes in the 2nd half.

14/10/2022 9:20 pm  #5

Just signed  Djoum ( 2 year deal ) according to the website. Don’t know much about him but hopefully can do a job for us.

Last edited by BMT (14/10/2022 9:25 pm)

14/10/2022 11:10 pm  #6

Unchanged.

15/10/2022 5:21 pm  #7

Disappointing only coming away with a point. I would have taken that before the game though we should be aiming for a victory up in Dingwall. Ref was shocking again. A big positive that we have come back from a goal down .

15/10/2022 10:24 pm  #8

Thought we were the best team by a long way.  3 good chances in the 1st half - Middleton x 2 and Watt's header from Freeman's cross.  Watt's Goal and Dylan's raker that hit the bar plus a couple of other half chances in the 2nd half.  They only had one chance which they scored - and that was a foul on Sibbald IMO - but of course he should have just put it out.

After the start we've had to the season. we need to look at the positives- 7 points from the last 3 games and we are back in the mix now- and we actually look like a team now.

Last edited by SlatefordArab (15/10/2022 10:30 pm)

15/10/2022 10:55 pm  #9

Kicked off the park.
Was like watching Hamilton Haccies.
Oor Wullie was hauled off the ball for their goal.

What is wrong with Scottish football that we have so many refs who've never played a game in their lives.
To me part of getting a refs ticket would be to have played the game.
Instead of which we seem to have wee nyaffs who are interested in the game and follow the paper trail into reffing.

Still, offered 7 points before last 3 games I'd have bitten your hand off.

16/10/2022 9:48 am  #10

Well I wasna at the game and unfortunately didna get to see it live on t'internet.

However saw the highlights later, and yeah we shoulda had a few more.

Halfway between bein chuffed to get a point and p1ssed off no to get the win.

16/10/2022 9:56 am  #11

I get that the standard of refereeing isn't consistent (as a side nobody mentions good referee performances).

But the never played a game in their life is a poor argument.

Referees generally enter into the path at the bottom and work their way up. There's no fast track for the next willy collum. They progress through hard work, commitment and  success on the field and even at low levels are constantly observed by former referees.

As an idea of the commitment it takes to referee to progress up the tree, you are probably looking at doing a Saturday game and at least 1 Sunday game to start with. They will also be 2 training sessions a week organised by the local  referee association and probably 2 midweekers. That could be running the line at a Highland league u21 type level. So in all 6 days a week commitment for very little reward too.

There are also age limits - so if you sre waiting for a former player to retire and rise through the ranks, they would get to the top in time to retire.

Refereeing, as an ex ref who got nowhere near the top , is a huge commitment and not one which many people will take on. The mental pressures associated  are huge and I understand why some referees get influenced at parkhead and ibrox. Not to say its right but there's no TV replays or other angles - it's 1 guy in the middle of the park with a split second to make a decision

Lastly, I'd say ex players don't always know the rules but know their interpretation of the rules - so assuming an ex player did want to start at the bottom, they would have to re-learn the entire game before they could use their experience

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

16/10/2022 10:11 am  #12

Tangy wrote:

I get that the standard of refereeing isn't consistent (as a side nobody mentions good referee performances).

Referees generally enter into the path at the bottom and work their way up. There's no fast track for the next willy collum. They progress through hard work, commitment and  success on the field and even at low levels are constantly observed by former referees.

As an idea of the commitment it takes to referee to progress up the tree, you are probably looking at doing a Saturday game and at least 1 Sunday game to start with. They will also be 2 training sessions a week organised by the local  referee association and probably 2 midweekers. That could be running the line at a Highland league u21 type level. So in all 6 days a week commitment for very little reward too.

There are also age limits - so if you sre waiting for a former player to retire and rise through the ranks, they would get to the top in time to retire.

Refereeing, as an ex ref who got nowhere near the top , is a huge commitment and not one which many people will take on. The mental pressures associated  are huge and I understand why some referees get influenced at parkhead and ibrox. Not to say its right but there's no TV replays or other angles - it's 1 guy in the middle of the park with a split second to make a decision

Lastly, I'd say ex players don't always know the rules but know their interpretation of the rules - so assuming an ex player did want to start at the bottom, they would have to re-learn the entire game before they could use their experience

A lot of good points there Tangy. There is no doubt that it takes a lot of commitment to reach grade 1 level in Scotland.
However if you reach the top in your early 30s you will have spent your weekends refereeing and not playing.
That leaves the argument that these modern referess know the laws but don't know the game.
When you look at Clancy, colum.... you know they have never been involved in a Sunday morning midfield battle on Drumgeith.

16/10/2022 3:32 pm  #13

Haha I reckon they might receive special attention if they did.

It genuinely is like a full time job and the money at the lower levels is less than minimum wage (I'd suggest - son's know for sure).

What I do know is they all have a passion for football - they wouldn't be involved otherwise.

It is genuinely the most difficult job on a football pitch and gets the most attention from fans/media etc.

The facts that you have 1 view at every incident and a split second to make a decision is tough. Sure there's videos going about where you can test your knowledge.

I don't think you need to have played the game to be able to make the decisions tbf....I think what gets most people is the inconsistency both between refs and even between the same ref on a different day.

As it happens, I don't mind gollum. He's tough but you know it. So if a player flies into a tackle, you kniw what's coming.

Mostly, I think every league in the world has bad referees (or inconsistent- or however we wish to look at it). Even VAR can't sort out decisions in the premiership.

Lastly on var - it's a system which sucks the joy out of football. Fans waiting to see if they can celebrate.  Once the moment has gone and var has done a 30 second check, it's far less exciting to celebrate.

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe our refs aren't any worse than anybody else's? Maybe the sfa need to look at the external factors which influence a referee and train them to ignore them - or maybe just ensure that referees are applying the laws of the game similarly. .🤷

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

17/10/2022 12:56 am  #14

Tangy wrote:

Referees generally enter into the path at the bottom and work their way up. There's no fast track for the next willy collum. They progress through hard work, commitment and success on the field and even at low levels are constantly observed by former referees.

As an idea of the commitment it takes to referee to progress up the tree, you are probably looking at doing a Saturday game and at least 1 Sunday game to start with. They will also be 2 training sessions a week organised by the local referee association and probably 2 midweekers. That could be running the line at a Highland league u21 type level. So in all 6 days a week commitment for very little reward too.

Refereeing, as an ex ref who got nowhere near the top , is a huge commitment and not one which many people will take on. The mental pressures associated are huge and I understand why some referees get influenced at parkhead and ibrox. Not to say its right but there's no TV replays or other angles - it's 1 guy in the middle of the park with a split second to make a decision

No.
Don't think it is a poor argument. 

Indeed you rest my case with the background of what it takes to become a top ref.
At no stage does this ref grading include, far less give time for playing the game.
What I'm saying is that even a little bit of playing the game would improve standards

I appreciate the years of hard work & dedication you say it takes to become a top ref, but at no stage does it require having played the game, far less allow time to play.

Trust me, players know if a ref hasn't played the game   Players know what they can and can't get away with, which is why Ross County took advantage of Craig Napier to the fullest.

I'll give you an example of arguably Scotland's greatest ever referee - Tiny Wharton.
Today's tortuous path would never have allowed him to become a ref.
From the Gorbals, played at the school, moved up to amatuers, one day ref didn't show up and he got roped in to doing it.   ....tbf you wouldnae argue with him, and not because of the badge either.

(Which I think is the crux of the problem in that so many refs are jobsworth wee nyaffs hiding behind that badge.)

I'd say most of us give give credit where credit's due when refs are good - how often have you heard it said that the best ref is the one you never notice.

Bottom line - maybe just a little bit of time spent on practical rather than 100% technical.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (17/10/2022 12:59 am)

17/10/2022 9:39 am  #15

Known only two refs in my time.  One current who I speak to regularly and one previous top level who doesn't ref any more.  The ex-ref was a very decent footballer and I think the current one was too.  The latter also knows the game inside out and his view of different teams and whether they know what they are doing is spot on.  I think people just assume that because they do make mistakes (or don't give something that one set of fans thinks is a stonewaller) that they don't know the game.  That's not the case in my experience, far from it.  I don't like Collum though and can see why that accusation is thrown at him!

17/10/2022 11:28 am  #16

What each ref sees as a foul, booking etc. is far too inconsistent across our top referees.  

I want to see some greater consistency between the application of the rules by our officials, they all receive the same training yet when they apply the rules there seems to be too much self interpretation.

It will soon get to the stage where you will need to scout the referee you have for each game to know what they will and will not penalise,  Having played the game or not should not really matter if they are properly trained, selected and supported by the SFA. 

17/10/2022 11:38 am  #17

For those who made the game, what was Djoum like?  Does he fill the obvious gap?

17/10/2022 12:12 pm  #18

Finn Seemann wrote:

For those who made the game, what was Djoum like?  Does he fill the obvious gap?

Looked miles off the pace, which is understandable, but wee touches and positioning shows that he is a quality player just need games imo.

17/10/2022 12:21 pm  #19

Shedtastic wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Looked miles off the pace, which is understandable, but wee touches and positioning shows that he is a quality player just need games imo.

Good news!  Cheers

Board footera