Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/7/2022 10:07 am  #801

Re: Summer Transfer Window

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

The issue here is that we have a sporting director who believes his own hype and, contrary to our hopes that Ross would have driven a hard bargain, he is not being given, even close to, the free rein that he needs. Less than 2 weeks to the start of the season and the old gaps remain together with the new ones (e.g. combative midfielder).  We’ve got a nice new badge though (albeit one that’s not on our home shirt).

Agree completely with the 2nd half of this Finn but I feel the first half you are just guessing.

There’s a reason our managers only last one season.

21/7/2022 10:26 am  #802

We’ll be busy in 2 years time when all our signings from this summer will be out of contract

Excited to see what this lad is like, seems like a v good purchase

21/7/2022 10:33 am  #803

Cristiano Fitzgerald apparently on trial

21/7/2022 10:44 am  #804

Finn Seemann wrote:

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

The issue here is that we have a sporting director who believes his own hype and, contrary to our hopes that Ross would have driven a hard bargain, he is not being given, even close to, the free rein that he needs. Less than 2 weeks to the start of the season and the old gaps remain together with the new ones (e.g. combative midfielder). We’ve got a nice new badge though (albeit one that’s not on our home shirt).

Agree completely with the 2nd half of this Finn but I feel the first half you are just guessing.

There’s a reason our managers only last one season.

"I think there's a reason our managers only last one season" is what you should have said. Because, again, you are guessing. 

21/7/2022 10:45 am  #805

United Arab Emarite wrote:

Jack Ross ain't stupid & I'll bet he spoke to Micky Mellon before applying for the job.
Micky might have painted him a bad picture but Jack Ross being a big man & nobody's fool came in thinking he could handle the personnel in place.
What we're seeing just now might be the beding-in process as the two main protaganists lock horns.
I pray it works out & Jack Ross doesn't become a 6-monther.

Jesus fuckin christ. So we've not signed the players at the speed we'd like and suddenly Ross and Asghar are 'locking horns' 

21/7/2022 11:17 am  #806

Snacks94 wrote:

Cristiano Fitzgerald apparently on trial

Sign him

21/7/2022 12:55 pm  #807

I'm not defending Tony at all but some patience and perspective needed re the transfer windows
The recruitment may have identified targets and categorised them as 1st choice, 2nd choice etc, but so have the players we are targeting.
Their agents will have options as well, for all we know the player we are after has us as his 3rd or 4th choice and maybe an unknown also jumps in to the mix
Sometimes these things marry up, most times they don't.
Let's hope the recruitment team have identified enough darts that at least a few more hit the bullseye

21/7/2022 1:01 pm  #808

Good sensible post. It's frustrating as fuck though

Too much commotion

21/7/2022 2:21 pm  #809

Aye, who's to say we've not tried to sign a lot of players and they simply do not want to sign for us?

Cheer up lads, at least we are not Hibs!  (who by the way have signed loads of players all of which appear to be no better than what they had last year).

21/7/2022 3:08 pm  #810

21/7/2022 3:47 pm  #811

Danny Mullen signs for Partick. Thank fuck for that.

21/7/2022 3:58 pm  #812

Fingers crossed this works out, good interview.

21/7/2022 7:56 pm  #813

Glenn Middleton is engaged to a family friend, Dundee lassie, I also know Ross tried to sign him for Hibs, there is definitely something in this.

21/7/2022 8:58 pm  #814

Rocky Raccoon wrote:

Glenn Middleton is engaged to a family friend, Dundee lassie, I also know Ross tried to sign him for Hibs, there is definitely something in this.

Jack Ross had him at Hibs.

He ended his season long loan early. Just a few weeks after taking over as Hibs manager.

21/7/2022 11:07 pm  #815

Tek wrote:

Rocky Raccoon wrote:

Jack Ross had him at Hibs.

He ended his season long loan early. Just a few weeks after taking over as Hibs manager.

He had an injury that year, he returned to Ibrox to be treated.

He wanted him back at the start of last season, returning to St Johnstone made sense at the time.

I personally do not think he is the player we are looking for, he certainly is not a striker as some of the press are portraying him.

21/7/2022 11:40 pm  #816

I’m 50/50 on Middleton - definitely inconsistent like most wingers but I’ve seen some decent performances from him and he’s a good age to develop.  Plus we are desperate for wingers!!

22/7/2022 12:50 am  #817

At this point, I’d take any winger who doesn’t cut inside, slowing any attack down.. (Niskanen)

22/7/2022 2:02 am  #818

Out of interest ... what makes a bad transfer window?

We've had our share (Never forget: 'Leomba joins fellow midfielders Christoph Rabitsch, Adam Barton and Fraser Aird') but this year we've invested in some fees for players and been ambitious in who we target. That might come at a cost to getting business done early/a full squad.

Can you rate the success of a summer's business solely on results the following season - or does it take a year or two before you can put a value on impact? If we have to scrabble at the close because we went for it at the start - is that a failure?

Certainly the manager has put pressure on the club to get business done by putting a number of what he still needs. If nothing more, that shows a working environment where he remains his own man. Not sure if the DoF and Chairman would have been over the moon to see those comments in print...

22/7/2022 2:12 am  #819

MockChop wrote:

At this point, I’d take any winger who doesn’t cut inside, slowing any attack down.. (Niskanen)

Conway cut inside all the time

22/7/2022 7:44 am  #820

Middleton didn't play as a winger for St Johnstone. He played as a number 10 in a 3-5-2 system as the one behind 2 strikers or, more often in a 3-4-2-1 as one of the 2 in behind the striker. Decent player technically, but not sure he's what we need. Im guessing we've been told to bolt by our A list and (maybe) B list of targets in the number 10 position (McGrath) and wide position.

Too much commotion

22/7/2022 9:05 am  #821

Dykstrasmoustache wrote:

Out of interest ... what makes a bad transfer window?

We've had our share (Never forget: 'Leomba joins fellow midfielders Christoph Rabitsch, Adam Barton and Fraser Aird') but this year we've invested in some fees for players and been ambitious in who we target. That might come at a cost to getting business done early/a full squad.

Can you rate the success of a summer's business solely on results the following season - or does it take a year or two before you can put a value on impact? If we have to scrabble at the close because we went for it at the start - is that a failure?

Certainly the manager has put pressure on the club to get business done by putting a number of what he still needs. If nothing more, that shows a working environment where he remains his own man. Not sure if the DoF and Chairman would have been over the moon to see those comments in print...

I suppose it all depends on how you look at it. For instance getting rid of or releasing the players deemed not good enough from the wage bill would be seem by some as a good transfer window or signing Dylan and Fletcher might be if that was all your team needed but I'm sure for me and most folk unless there is multiple signings this week before the season kicks off this will have been a bad transfer window.

22/7/2022 9:39 am  #822

Do you think that having worked out v well with the Levitt loan that united are looking for a similar deal this year? A fringe man United player or similar?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

22/7/2022 12:14 pm  #823

Tangy wrote:

Do you think that having worked out v well with the Levitt loan that united are looking for a similar deal this year? A fringe man United player or similar?

If we didn’t even at least ask West Ham when they were at St Andrews, then I’d be worried.

22/7/2022 1:24 pm  #824

MockChop wrote:

Tangy wrote:

If we didn’t even at least ask West Ham when they were at St Andrews, then I’d be worried.

I would guess thats not how business is done. If there was a player at West Ham or any club that we wanted to take on loan, we should put in the time to research that player and go after them the proper way. Not just ask them if they have any players available for Loan because they end up by chance to be training at the same facility as you. I'd be worried if we DID ask them if I'm being honest.

22/7/2022 2:29 pm  #825

that’s how we got Levitt.

Board footera