Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/11/2021 10:37 pm  #1

Asghar

Big Tony has told Heggy, Malpas, Holty and Hamish to collect all their United medals, caps and memorabilia and get it out of Tannadice.

Made it clear that the new regime don't want the club looking at the past.

Can't believe the club are doing it, pretty disrespectful, while I don't disagree with the ethos of living in the past, these are mementos of our clubs most successful period and led to us being the club we are today. There's clubs with museums in their stadiums but we can't have a cabinet and photos of mementos of our history. Madness imo.

Tam Cairns been relieved from his role he had at the club too I'm led to believe

21/11/2021 11:49 pm  #2

Re: Asghar

I seen the Tom Cairns tweet. Think he has voluntarily stood down from his matchday role, rather than been pushed.

I don't know anything about the guy tbh. But would seem he's unhappy that friends at the club have been pushed out the door. 

Can't be many left at the club now who were there pre-Ogren. 

On the telling legends to collect all their medals, caps etc, i don't understand that thinking at all. That sort of history relating to the club should be embraced, not opposed.

22/11/2021 9:46 am  #3

In a month where one of our stalwarts, Walter Smith, was laid to rest with very little comment from our club, this 'development' does not surprise me.  If Tony feels that history is dragging him back then he should only sell tickets to those under the age of 40.

We should not need to jettison the past for the sake of the future.  Can you imagine any owner of Rangers or Celtic or even Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs or dare I say Dundee, telling them to forget past successes?  We are not a franchise that can be bought sold and moved.  Our history is us, as is our future.

Big Tony will either succeed beyond our wildest dreams and/or will kill our club.  I know where my money is.  The sooner he is gone the better.

23/11/2021 7:27 pm  #4

Rick Dagless wrote:

Big Tony has told Heggy, Malpas, Holty and Hamish to collect all their United medals, caps and memorabilia and get it out of Tannadice.

Made it clear that the new regime don't want the club looking at the past.

Has there been any confirmation of this?

Tom Cairns is a pretty level-headed lad and I don't see him stepping away from a role he loves as a matter of principle unless people have been treated pretty poorly. I made a comment on twitter supporting him and questioning the treatment of people who have worked for the club for years, and judging by the responses, you would think I'd suggested melting down the Jim McLean statue and selling it for scrap. Guys who can't seem to conceive of the idea that we can improve as a team on the park, we can improve efficiency and operations off the park, and we can do all that while still treating employees and volunteers with respect and dignity - particularly if they're being told their position is ending.

We have our fair share of mouth-breathers, that's for sure.

I haven't expressed any concerns over Asghar and co. up until now as I was basing my judgement on my own experience and what I could see with my own eyes, and wasn't unquestioningly buying what Finn and others were saying. But when you look at the number of good people who have moved on over the past year or so, and you hear not one but multiple different concerns from multiple people about the manner in which some of these employees have been treated, it definitely starts my alarm bells ringing. I'm not saying some or all of those people *didn't need* (edited) to be replaced in order to improve, but that's not the issue. A guy like Tom Cairns doesn't do what he just did if the people that lost their jobs were treated fairly and with respect.

FYI, I have no inside info on this at all.

Last edited by Canadian Arab (23/11/2021 11:16 pm)

24/11/2021 8:14 am  #5

It smells. This sounds almost like a sort of streamlining. To what end who knows.

24/11/2021 10:16 am  #6

"Has there been any confirmation of this?"

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

24/11/2021 11:30 am  #7

I'm all for letting folk go from the club that have been there too long and worked under the previous regime, fresh start and all that, but the thing with asking Heggie, Luggy etc take their strips etc back is a joke.

You can create a new team and atmosphere at the club but still celebrate the past.

Tony if you are reading this, get a grip ffs.

24/11/2021 12:47 pm  #8

"Pay his respects"

Is he Don Corleone ?  lol

24/11/2021 4:54 pm  #9

Total, total pish

24/11/2021 7:32 pm  #10

Conway11 wrote:

Total, total pish

Care to elaborate?

24/11/2021 8:54 pm  #11

IF .... if true, absolutely disgusted.
Fwiw,to me, we shouldn't live in the past otherwise you end up like Dees banging on about '63 and English still endlessly banging on about '66.

but we should revere, be proud of and never forget the many great moments (those of us that go that far back) of the 80's.
. ....Best way to emulate them.

24/11/2021 10:46 pm  #12

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

IF .... if true, absolutely disgusted.
Fwiw,to me, we shouldn't live in the past otherwise you end up like Dees banging on about '63 and English still endlessly banging on about '66.

but we should revere, be proud of and never forget the many great moments (those of us that go that far back) of the 80's.
. ....Best way to emulate them.

My old boy was at Hospo for the sheep game, it was Heggy who told him it was true. They can't believe it.

What you've said there I 100% agree with.

25/11/2021 8:57 am  #13

Like I said in some other place, it's a very good job that we are doing so well on the pitch cos if we were not & we are hearing these stories then we'd be rioting.

So wealthy Yank buys us (& maybe even saves us?) and puts his management team in place. They are his dollars & he can do as he pleases. It does seem he got one appointment right anyway. But maybe not the bete noire? But does procuring the likes of Mulgrew trump rearranging the lounges?

We'll need to see how it all pans out but meanwhile please keep winning ffs.

25/11/2021 11:35 am  #14

We dont know the whole story. Personally if we keep in the top 5 he can do what he likes

25/11/2021 1:18 pm  #15

I wish the club would come out and say something about this as I for one simply can’t see anything that makes this situation acceptable to the majority of fans. It is the history and soul of the club and what makes us Dundee United. I personally loved showing and talking to my kids about the history and know they enjoyed it as much as me.

25/11/2021 5:30 pm  #16

Finn Seemann wrote:

Conway11 wrote:

Total, total pish

Care to elaborate?

To be honest mate I don't want to get into a big 'He said, she said' scenario. My understanding though is its total pish and will be confirmed as such very soon. A few freeloaders had their meal ticket taken away and don't like it

25/11/2021 6:04 pm  #17

Conway11 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Conway11 wrote:

Total, total pish

Care to elaborate?

To be honest mate I don't want to get into a big 'He said, she said' scenario. My understanding though is its total pish and will be confirmed as such very soon. A few freeloaders had their meal ticket taken away and don't like it

Fair enough - I can see that could turn into this, but club legends being asked to remove their memorabilia seems very odd.  I have to say that Big Tony being disrespectful in social settings was the first thing (first hand) that pissed me off about him so I maybe a bit quick to assume the worst of him.  However whatever is going on seems at odds with the view of the majority of supporters (including former players) and can't be good for the club.

I do think there is a fine line between freeloaders and volunteers and some people, not mentioning names, can get a bit Bob Servant, but generally most teams in Scotland do rely on them to some extent.

25/11/2021 6:54 pm  #18

Conway11 wrote:

Dave Narey's daughter confirmed he has had his memorabilia sent back to him, and Luggy's stuff, including Scotland shirt and cap, have been given to another player to pass on to him. These are statements directly from the players and their families who are not happy - not hearsay or internet rumours - so unless we're now considering big Sash, Luggy and co to be freeloaders, it's hard to understand exactly what it is that will be confirmed very soon.
At the very, very least, this would appear to be yet another example of poor communication or miscommunication causing problems.

25/11/2021 7:38 pm  #19

Absolutely no way has Asghar or any OFFICIAL united staff member stripped the clubs walls and sent the stuff back to any player 100% didn't happen

Canadian Arab wrote:

Conway11 wrote:

Dave Narey's daughter confirmed he has had his memorabilia sent back to him, and Luggy's stuff, including Scotland shirt and cap, have been given to another player to pass on to him. These are statements directly from the players and their families who are not happy - not hearsay or internet rumours - so unless we're now considering big Sash, Luggy and co to be freeloaders, it's hard to understand exactly what it is that will be confirmed very soon.
At the very, very least, this would appear to be yet another example of poor communication or miscommunication causing problems.

25/11/2021 10:35 pm  #20

Conway11 wrote:

Absolutely no way has Asghar or any OFFICIAL united staff member stripped the clubs walls and sent the stuff back to any player 100% didn't happen

Canadian Arab wrote:

Conway11 wrote:

Given the number of former players who have confirmed this what's your source that this is bullshit?

25/11/2021 10:49 pm  #21

Just hope we don't see JYM going the same way as a Bristol slave trader

Last edited by smedDUm (25/11/2021 11:35 pm)

25/11/2021 11:07 pm  #22

Could it possibly be these items were part of the Tom Cairns United history collection and he has given them back to the players as he has now packed it in?

We don't give a damn what the others say
We'll cheer on United all the way
For we are the Terrors of Tannadice

26/11/2021 4:10 am  #23

doontheroadarab wrote:

Could it possibly be these items were part of the Tom Cairns United history collection and he has given them back to the players as he has now packed it in?

This would make more sense and lines up with Conway11 saying no “official” member of staff did it plus the part that the strips etc have been sent to the players and not them being told to pick them up themselves. 

26/11/2021 4:12 am  #24

Rick Dagless wrote:

Conway11 wrote:

Canadian Arab wrote:

Given the number of former players who have confirmed this what's your source that this is bullshit?

Sounds like the strips were taken down but not on Asghar’s say so. Dummy’s spat out maybe?

26/11/2021 5:59 am  #25

japanarab wrote:

Rick Dagless wrote:

Conway11 wrote:

Sounds like the strips were taken down but not on Asghar’s say so. Dummy’s spat out maybe?

Or throwing other people's toys out the pram, perhaps?

We don't give a damn what the others say
We'll cheer on United all the way
For we are the Terrors of Tannadice

Board footera