Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/9/2021 7:40 pm  #1

Greavsie

Only just saw in the paper that Jimmy Greaves has passed away.

Quite sad - one half of the commentating duo, Saint & Greavsie, with Ian St. John that eventually got their own programme in the mid 80s. They were probably the go-to footie preview show back when United were at their peak domestically and in Europe, so I have many memories of their banter.

This segment brings back great memories. I was in the crowd behind that goal at Old Trafford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwxJzpHBAg

21/9/2021 9:32 pm  #2

Re: Greavsie

Canadian Arab wrote:

Only just saw in the paper that Jimmy Greaves has passed away.

Quite sad - one half of the commentating duo, Saint & Greavsie, with Ian St. John that eventually got their own programme in the mid 80s. They were probably the go-to footie preview show back when United were at their peak domestically and in Europe, so I have many memories of their banter.

This segment brings back great memories. I was in the crowd behind that goal at Old Trafford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwxJzpHBAg

Probably the most packed terrace i ever stood on, absolutely ridiculous really.

He was some goalscorer though in the age when the tackles went in.
Long before " he felt a touch and was entitled to go down" shite was ever thought off.

21/9/2021 10:39 pm  #3

Beharder wrote:

Probably the most packed terrace i ever stood on, absolutely ridiculous really.

He was some goalscorer though in the age when the tackles went in.
Long before " he felt a touch and was entitled to go down" shite was ever thought off.

Made all the better by still being able to buy a pint at a game. That was some atmosphere.

I remember a few years back Charlie Miller was almost clean through, was fouled in the box but tried to stay on his feet. Due to the foul, he only got a half-arsed shot away. No problem for the keeper. After the game, the ref was reported as saying to our gaffer "If he had gone down, I'd have awarded a penalty".

Either you're fouled or you're not. Whether someone goes down or not is irrelevant. It's pish like that from the ref that encourages players to try and "win" a penalty. Boils my piss.

Probably surprising for younger fans to see Mo save the shot on the line and stay on the park. IIRC it was about a year after that game that the rule changed to an automatic red.

22/9/2021 3:12 am  #4

Sad news about Greavsie.

In my formative years of watching football (and life in general), this programme was a staple diet of my Saturday. Was a great and entertaining watch.

Later on in life i grew to learn of and respect the playing careers of both men.

Board footera