Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30/10/2020 12:48 am  #1

How long will Covid19 last?

Just reading about the Spanish Flu there.

And noticed that it lasted for 2 years and 2 months.

It came in FOUR successive waves.

We in the UK are 7 months into this and on our 2nd wave.

Do you think we are looking at this possibly being around another year or more? 

Will it possibly even always be here? Spanish Flu only 'died off' because it had infected 500 million people (about 1/3rd of the World's population at the time). So proper herd immunity had been in-built by it's conclusion.

30/10/2020 10:01 am  #2

Re: How long will Covid19 last?

I'd like to think that 100 years on we have better developed vaccine systems and better knowledge of these things.  I am hoping that means that it will be controlled in around a year and not spike again after summer 2021.  Might be wishful thinking though.  The evidence that immunity only lasts months and not forever may be a complicating factor and points at herd immunity perhaps being wishful thinking.  All that said there are 4 times (!) as many people on the planet as there was when Spanish Flu was around and that has to have an impact on how more likely it is to spread.

31/10/2020 12:06 pm  #3

I was just reading about the 1918 flu epidemic myself the other day too there Tek.  Was really interesting to find out there were 4 waves during that particular horror.

Covid is here to stay unfortunately but I have no doubt science will come up with the drugs and medication that will allow us to live with it to an extent that we'll get back to some kind of normality (although I think the way we work and interact with each other has probably changed forever now) - how long that will take however, who knows.

Last edited by SlatefordArab (31/10/2020 12:06 pm)

09/11/2020 2:49 pm  #4

Some promising news today...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

13/11/2020 6:27 pm  #5

More good News. Chucky no more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54938050

23/11/2020 6:28 pm  #6

Good to see the UK government giving the green light to let up to 4k fans back In to stadiums from December 2.
Unfortunately the SG does not really give a f##k about football  so we need to just sit back and accept whatever Nicola says.

24/11/2020 12:59 am  #7

Beharder wrote:

Good to see the UK government giving the green light to let up to 4k fans back In to stadiums from December 2.
Unfortunately the SG does not really give a f##k about football so we need to just sit back and accept whatever Nicola says.

It is not just football that the latter point applies to...

02/12/2020 9:26 am  #8

First vaccine approved for mass rollout in the UK. At last some light at the end of the tunnel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55145696

06/12/2020 10:48 am  #9

Great to see fans back at some English games. A reaction when a goal goes in, a bit of abuse for the referee it's helping me get a bit of enthusiasm back for the game.
Here in Scotland were still having small minded parochial arguments about standing beside each other.
Open the grounds, if you don't want to go if your too auld vulnerable or obese don't go.

Board footera