Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/6/2024 1:10 pm  #351

Re: Summer transfer window 2024

Tek wrote:

JerryDungle wrote:

Tek wrote:

I'm not totally sold on Walton. He is a decent enough Keeper, don't get me wrong. But he had a good few errors in him last season.

I was kinda hoping we'd look for a better option personally. But he's here now and i wish him all the best and hope he does well of course.

I do agree with what UAE said (for once) he will be tested A LOT more this season. I hope the errors he made last season are limited to less and not amplified given he will have more action at his end of the pitch next season.

I think it’s better the devil you know considering some of the keepers we’ve gambled on in recent history. Walton’s solid, if unspectacular, but I think he might go up a level with being tested more in Premiership. He never made too many mistakes that cost us goals last season. The ones he did make came more from lapses in concentration than being a poor keeper. It is probably harder spending 89 minutes with your finger up your hoop than if you’re having to make saves regularly throughout the game. I’m happy to see him back.

He cost us a goal in the last game he played for Utd. Besides a couple more.

On the concentration thing. That's a huge part of being a Keeper. Watching the game being played elsewhere and needing to be focused in the moments you are called on.

At the game I thought he did, but the fact we went on to win it was kinda forgotten.

Just rewatched it, he reacts quickly to a bit of ping-pong, dives in at the feet of the attacker, the ball ricochets about and away from him, however the attacker was offside and it did bounce fortunately into the scorer's path.

Now maybe he should be stronger, maybe he should take ball and man, but the biggest error is the offside call.

Of course he made a couple of errors over the season, but had that game finished 1-1 we'd still be pointing a finger at him rather Moult missing his pen.

Maybe it's just me, but see when a penalty is awarded or goal scored and on review there's an officiating error, i'm ok with putting it down the officials and not getting hung up on blame.

And whilst each game or error should be judged on it's own merit, the other mistakes, I think it was ICT and Queens, of the 3 of them, if we 100% blame the keeper for the end result, he's cost us 2 points.

He alone earned us the point that sealed the title.

Sorry if this comes over as being part of the keeper's union, far from it, Benji in his last season made quite a few glaring errors, but seemed to get a free ride from most.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

26/6/2024 4:02 pm  #352

David_Blunkett wrote:

Tek wrote:

JerryDungle wrote:

I think it’s better the devil you know considering some of the keepers we’ve gambled on in recent history. Walton’s solid, if unspectacular, but I think he might go up a level with being tested more in Premiership. He never made too many mistakes that cost us goals last season. The ones he did make came more from lapses in concentration than being a poor keeper. It is probably harder spending 89 minutes with your finger up your hoop than if you’re having to make saves regularly throughout the game. I’m happy to see him back.

On the concentration thing. That's a huge part of being a Keeper. Watching the game being played elsewhere and needing to be focused in the moments you are called on.

At the game I thought he did, but the fact we went on to win it was kinda forgotten.

Just rewatched it, he reacts quickly to a bit of ping-pong, dives in at the feet of the attacker, the ball ricochets about and away from him, however the attacker was offside and it did bounce fortunately into the scorer's path.

Now maybe he should be stronger, maybe he should take ball and man, but the biggest error is the offside call.

Of course he made a couple of errors over the season, but had that game finished 1-1 we'd still be pointing a finger at him rather Moult missing his pen.

Maybe it's just me, but see when a penalty is awarded or goal scored and on review there's an officiating error, i'm ok with putting it down the officials and not getting hung up on blame.

And whilst each game or error should be judged on it's own merit, the other mistakes, I think it was ICT and Queens, of the 3 of them, if we 100% blame the keeper for the end result, he's cost us 2 points.

Sorry if this comes over as being part of the keeper's union, far from it, Benji in his last season made quite a few glaring errors, but seemed to get a free ride from most.

Absolutely. If he only costs us 2 points over the season then he’s worth his weight in gold. The last keeper we had in the Premiership probably cost us at least 20 points with his errors.

Remember, people were unsure of Siegrist’s ability moving up to the Premiership, and he probably turned out to be the best United keeper I’ve seen in my lifetime. He probably saved us 12-15 points a season alone.

Walton’s a good keeper who can improve further, he’s well liked by the other players, and most importantly, the back 4 and most of the support trust him.

I reckon Jack will shine in the Premiership.

26/6/2024 4:09 pm  #353

JerryDungle wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Tek wrote:

Absolutely. If he only costs us 2 points over the season then he’s worth his weight in gold. The last keeper we had in the Premiership probably cost us at least 20 points with his errors.

Remember, people were unsure of Siegrist’s ability moving up to the Premiership, and he probably turned out to be the best United keeper I’ve seen in my lifetime. He probably saved us 12-15 points a season alone.

Walton’s a good keeper who can improve further, he’s well liked by the other players, and most importantly, the back 4 and most of the support trust him.

Add to that,he seems to love it at United too. Unlike Cudjoe who is selling his hard luck story to any cunt that'll listen.

26/6/2024 4:42 pm  #354

JerryDungle wrote:

I really hope so mate.

He describes himself as a 'big game player'. Lets hope that's true.

27/6/2024 8:02 am  #355

I wonder about the finances tho it's none of my business really.
As a back-up g/k (they have 4 goalies in their 1st team squad) to an English C'ship team I'd imagine he's on a 5-figure salary cos they were a Prem team last season. Call it £10/k per week.
Would we pay, say £3k, of that & all parties are happy, especially Jack who wouldn't even be getting his arse splintered at Kenilworth Rd?
Worth braving it for another year in the City of Discovery?
One thing we should discover is if he's up to it after a couple of months in the Prem.
Will he play every competitive minute in this year's Prem as he did in the C'ship last season?
We hope so.

27/6/2024 11:09 am  #356

Jack Newman away to ICT on loan officially confirmed.

27/6/2024 12:54 pm  #357

Newman a strange one for me. Goodwin has shown many times he will bin players he doesn’t think are up to it. So he must see something in Newman. Also could be he is still young for a keeper.

But if he does rate him why wasn’t he played at all last season (I don’t think) even at the end when we had won the league ?

Either way, great chance for the boy if he gets and takes his chance. He could be our first choice GK next season if he did well with ICT.

27/6/2024 6:51 pm  #358

Still lots of business still to do according to Goodwin. So if we’re going 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 this season, we’ll probably still need

1 Right sided Centre Half - Imagine Gallagher will play central, so ideally one that can cover RCB and middle of a back 3

1 Centre Midfielder - 2 depending on how Goodwin rates Lewis O’Donnell, apparently he’s impressed in pre-season and done well at Kelty last season, so hopefully gets his chance to stake a claim for the first team. I see Greg Docherty still hasn’t got a club, could maybe do with someone bigger and with more presence, but Docherty is seemingly about the fittest boy in Scottish Football.

1 Winger - Could wait till towards the end of depending on how Trapanovski does, and how Fotheringham and Middleton step up to the Prem. Also depends on whether Goodwin sees Miller Thomson as a winger or a wingback. I’m guessing based on him seemingly binning Grimshaw that Thomson will be Strain’s understudy.

At least 1, preferably 2 strikers. A target man and someone with pace ideally.

Don’t think a Number 10 will be required if we’re sticking with this system, could also add a LWB to the list, depends if Goodwin sees Holt as adequate cover for that position or not.

Last edited by JerryDungle (27/6/2024 6:53 pm)

27/6/2024 7:21 pm  #359

Kristijan Trapanovski officially signed.

Two year deal with Utd holding option of another year (i like this new system).

Like most unknown signings from abroad it's a shot in the dark.

Could either be the new Jerren Nixon or the next Emil Lyng. Praying he's more like the former.

His English is fantastic, that's helpful.

27/6/2024 8:53 pm  #360

Breaking down his contributions statistically, he attempted 70 more dribbles than any other Prva Liga player

Absolutely buzzing after reading this, I was worried out lack of dribbles, would affect our XG, forcing us into a lock block more often and relying on our false nine and inverted wingbacks.

Looks like we'll be more of a high pressing team and decent once we crystalise.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

28/6/2024 8:29 am  #361

David_Blunkett wrote:

Breaking down his contributions statistically, he attempted 70 more dribbles than any other Prva Liga player

Absolutely buzzing after reading this, I was worried out lack of dribbles, would affect our XG, forcing us into a lock block more often and relying on our false nine and inverted wingbacks.

You're right David, it's getting worse. Your quote is an absolute belter.
Football hardly resembles football any more.
It's all Sky's fault & I would ban all punditry with immediate effect.
I feel for the younger generations of football fans who have been weaned on the utter pish that gets spouted.
If I'm watching a live game on TV which isn't all that often (even Scotland v Hungary I was flicking over to the golf) I watch from the kick-off, never the monotonous preamble nor half time & full time garbage speak & also I mute the commentary, you should give that a try.

Anyway Kristijan, dribble on.

28/6/2024 9:49 am  #362

I think there is a secret lobotomy programme led by the Professor of Sporting Directorship at Manchester Metropolitan.  There is no other explanation for Tam Courts.  How could a boy fae Fife spout such total footballing bullshit bingo otherwise?

Football is a simple game played, generally, by fairly unintelligent people.  Money has utterly ruined it to the extent that people who know virtually nothing about the game are changing the vocabulary simply to hoodwink their way to their pound of flesh.  In the meantime the actual product on the park gets worse to watch.  The Euros this year have been turgid.

28/6/2024 12:21 pm  #363

Finn Seemann wrote:

I think there is a secret lobotomy programme led by the Professor of Sporting Directorship at Manchester Metropolitan.  There is no other explanation for Tam Courts.  How could a boy fae Fife spout such total footballing bullshit bingo otherwise?

Football is a simple game played, generally, by fairly unintelligent people.  Money has utterly ruined it to the extent that people who know virtually nothing about the game are changing the vocabulary simply to hoodwink their way to their pound of flesh.  In the meantime the actual product on the park gets worse to watch.  The Euros this year have been turgid.

I was quite enjoying summer before you raised that topic again! I’ll tell you what I would like to see. All channels should make it a condition of employment, that all pundits be bilingual. The majority of British pundits are just ignoramuses trying to be comedians. I blame Sky for this.

28/6/2024 1:16 pm  #364

Totally agree. Does ma head in. I just want to watch match listen to atmosphere and think for maself.
Watch a bit of Gauldies Whitecaps -commentary's a different language.
Sometimes hit on matches through VPN, French, Spanish etc. commentary's another different language again - but makes a whole lot more sense.

..... DUTV's the best, totally unbiased, knowledgable commentary on there  

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (28/6/2024 1:18 pm)

28/6/2024 5:28 pm  #365

Slotbadger wrote:

Newman a strange one for me. Goodwin has shown many times he will bin players he doesn’t think are up to it. So he must see something in Newman. Also could be he is still young for a keeper.

But if he does rate him why wasn’t he played at all last season (I don’t think) even at the end when we had won the league ?

Either way, great chance for the boy if he gets and takes his chance. He could be our first choice GK next season if he did well with ICT.

IIRC Newman was contracted for this season prior to Goodwin being put in place (edit think I have this wrong on reflection). Agree the loan is good news for him  because there will be an Expectation of promotion too but it will take him away from the Utd, he needs to play.

you could argue he has less experience (bar the handful of games he played in the last prem season) than Adams who has already played League 1 and whose contract was extended in the summer so I suspect that was definitely a Goodwin decision to keep.

Last edited by Arab99 (29/6/2024 7:46 am)

29/6/2024 1:07 am  #366

David_Blunkett wrote:

Laughing at this, and I don't even know what XG means. Or inverted wing backs.

29/6/2024 12:49 pm  #367

Re the co-commentators.  I was over in Germany for a week and watched a couple of games in our hotel.  Whatever German channel it was on they only had a commentator, no co-commentator; I obviously could not understand them but got me thinking how refreshing it would be to go back to just having a commentator and not have some wittering half-wit making a comment about every other thing that happens.

29/6/2024 1:12 pm  #368

SlatefordArab wrote:

Re the co-commentators.  I was over in Germany for a week and watched a couple of games in our hotel.  Whatever German channel it was on they only had a commentator, no co-commentator; I obviously could not understand them but got me thinking how refreshing it would be to go back to just having a commentator and not have some wittering half-wit making a comment about every other thing that happens.

Should have the option to mute either or both commentators.

29/6/2024 4:57 pm  #369

Goodwin stating after game we are still after 4 or 5 new players, good news.

“Striker, right winger and a few centre mids”

Sounds like odonnell will be going back out on loan

29/6/2024 5:33 pm  #370

SuperMario wrote:

Brilliant news.

And that is exactly the positions we need.

29/6/2024 5:49 pm  #371

Tek wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

Brilliant news.

This might end up being the first season in quite a while that we will actually have a balanced,competent and dare I say... exciting squad of players. I just hope Goodwin can get the best out of them is all.

29/6/2024 6:32 pm  #372

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

Brilliant news.

This might end up being the first season in quite a while that we will actually have a balanced,competent and dare I say... exciting squad of players. I just hope Goodwin can get the best out of them is all.

Correct Grieve and possibly Grimshaw have been Goodwin’s only questionable signing. Goodwin had a good record at Aberdeen on recruiting players let’s hope it’s similar here with the exception being that he gets the best out of them. Optimism building!

29/6/2024 6:51 pm  #373

dufc5 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

Brilliant news.

Correct Grieve and possibly Grimshaw have been Goodwin’s only questionable signing. Goodwin had a good record at Aberdeen on recruiting players let’s hope it’s similar here with the exception being that he gets the best out of them. Optimism building!

Don't forget Tillson, but I can give JG a break regarding Grieve as he had very little to choose from and not much budget either. Grieve did actually score goals tbh and has scored in the top flight too so it can't be that big a step up for some of our players

29/6/2024 8:53 pm  #374

Tek wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

Brilliant news.

Correct. And like I’ve said before, I think Jim sees the game the way we all see it, without the  usual managerial bullshit and bluster. I mind hearing a post match interview with him when he was up at Aberdeen and was impressed with how honest he was when analysing what they’d done wrong in the game, rather than making excuses for them.

We’ll also need another centre half if we’re set on going 3 at the back. 4 boys for 3 positions is too light for a full season. The left side is sorted with Graham and Holt, but we need at least one more right footer that can cover the right side and the middle of a back 3.

Sounds like we’re going 3-4-3 rather than 3-5-2 going by what Goodwin says about getting another winger in.

Last edited by JerryDungle (29/6/2024 8:53 pm)

29/6/2024 8:57 pm  #375

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc5 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Don't forget Tillson, but I can give JG a break regarding Grieve as he had very little to choose from and not much budget either. Grieve did actually score goals tbh and has scored in the top flight too so it can't be that big a step up for some of our players

You could say the exact same for Tillson. He was a cheap loan signing to replace Sibbald who we thought was gonna be out long term with his ankle. Didn’t have a lot of of options as it was outwith the window. And in fairness to Tillson, despite his obvious lack of ability, he done a job and never really cost us, and actually probably earned us a few hard fought points like the Morton game at Cappielow.

Board footera