Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21/6/2024 10:39 pm  #301

Re: Summer transfer window 2024

Beardy23 wrote:

Tek wrote:

Would like a good few attacking signings in now (and a NO.1 and a cover LB).

Holt is cover for LB

Doubt it.

When McMann got injured last season Goodwin played Middleton there rather Holt. Hardly a glowing endorsement.

We need another LB. We got rid of Flynn Duffy too remember. So, very short in that area.

21/6/2024 10:44 pm  #302

Tek wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Tek wrote:

Spoke to a couple of St,Mirren supporters. Think Strain is a good player, but also think he's a sicknote.

Read elsewhere he's only been available for 54% of matches in his 3 years in Paisley. That's not good at all.

Hopefully his injuries are behind him, but i'm cautious on this signing, and all our signings so far. 

Would like a good few attacking signings in now (and a NO.1 and a cover LB).

2 years in Paisley( signed in June 22) and 64 appearances altogether ( Not bad going), was out with a groin injury from September and came back towards the end of the season. Currently away with the Australian national squad. I think you're being a bit negative about the guy tbh, anyone can get injured at any time.

I'm just saying what St.Mirren's fans are saying.

Injured a lot and when he does play often only lasts 60/70 minutes.

I did say they thought that aside he was a good player, so not sure how i'm being negative? 

Well to start with you've said he's only been available for 54% of games in 3 years, given he was only there for two years then that percentage is surely much higher. As I said,64 appearances in 2 seasons could be a lot worse.

And as far as I can see,it was one injury that kept him out for 6 months,that's hardly injury prone.

Last edited by Arabdownsouth (21/6/2024 10:45 pm)

21/6/2024 11:01 pm  #303

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Well to start with you've said he's only been available for 54% of games in 3 years, given he was only there for two years then that percentage is surely much higher. As I said,64 appearances in 2 seasons could be a lot worse.

And as far as I can see,it was one injury that kept him out for 6 months,that's hardly injury prone.

That was my mistake. I thought he'd been there 3 years, not two. And it was only last season he was only available for 54% of appearances. So, that does put a better reflection on things.

I am a bit concerned that a few said he often looks knackered by 60/70 minutes, but i guess time will tell on that one. He certainly has the pedigree.

21/6/2024 11:07 pm  #304

Tek wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

That was my mistake. I thought he'd been there 3 years, not two. And it was only last season he was only available for 54% of appearances. So, that does put a better reflection on things.

I am a bit concerned that a few said he often looks knackered by 60/70 minutes, but i guess time will tell on that one. He certainly has the pedigree.

Apparently he was player of the month last August before his injury. I think we are getting a good player,but like with all of them we just hope he stays clear of further injuries. Fingers crossed 🤞.  I an encouraged so far with the signings,and of course we need a few more in too. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

21/6/2024 11:40 pm  #305

Very happy with that tonight.

22/6/2024 7:35 am  #306

SuperMario wrote:

100% going three at back, both full backs we’ve signed a proper attack wing backs, looking forward to watching this team

Will we not need 5 at the back, it's gonna be tough in the top division.
6 at the back for Celtic at Home.

22/6/2024 8:35 am  #307

Happy with the latest two additions, build from the back.

Time up for Grimshaw?

Would like to see us get a goalkeeper in as a priority and I am sure that's what Jim will be focused on.

After that some energy at the other end of the pitch would be welcome.

22/6/2024 8:42 am  #308

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Happy with the latest two additions, build from the back.

Time up for Grimshaw?

Would like to see us get a goalkeeper in as a priority and I am sure that's what Jim will be focused on.

After that some energy at the other end of the pitch would be welcome.

Grimshaw will be back up,we need a squad after all.

22/6/2024 9:03 am  #309

Don’t really know anything about any of signings so far. But as others have said, recruitment seems methodical and is improving the areas all of us have also identified as being weak points.

Hope we keep Grimshaw for the squad. He can play in midfield also. Useful when Docherty gets injured. I would hope Thomson gets more game time than him next season though, and if getting rid allows us to bring in a better player - then it’s good bye and good luck from me. Goodwin has shown many times he will make the tough decisions on players.

22/6/2024 9:56 am  #310

I think Gtimshaw gives 100% and is a decent pro but that's it.

Feels like ages since the last few league games but I can still remember how shaky he us I'm possession and how bad he was at decision making at right back.

I would doubt he will see out the end of this transfer window without leaving in some capacity.

22/6/2024 10:05 am  #311

CCX2 2010 wrote:

I think Gtimshaw gives 100% and is a decent pro but that's it.

Feels like ages since the last few league games but I can still remember how shaky he us I'm possession and how bad he was at decision making at right back.

I would doubt he will see out the end of this transfer window without leaving in some capacity.

I disagree

22/6/2024 11:07 am  #312

Any time I saw Grimshaw last season he was pish. He’s punching at Championship level. Replace with better and exit please.

22/6/2024 6:59 pm  #313

Finn Seemann wrote:

Any time I saw Grimshaw last season he was pish. He’s punching at Championship level. Replace with better and exit please.

Straight to the point😀

22/6/2024 7:45 pm  #314

Finn Seemann wrote:

He really isn't as bad as you're making out. Was part of a very successful defence last season. He'll be fine as back up in my opinion.

23/6/2024 8:50 am  #315

Jim Goodwin mentions trapanovski in his post match interview.

.hoping to have him in dundee next week and play some part of next week's friendly

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

23/6/2024 10:37 am  #316

Finn Seemann wrote:

he has been told he is not in the managers plans and can leave.

Thompson has just had a hernia operation

23/6/2024 12:06 pm  #317

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Good to hear Jim isn’t holding back. Would rather Miller was backup next season anyway. Better learning curve for him and he’s better.

23/6/2024 12:26 pm  #318

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

That’s one thing I like about Goodwin. He is ruthless when it comes to players that aren’t at the required level. Culled nearly all the shite from the relegation season (bar one jobby that refused to flush), then again this season, let go of a lot of the academy players who have flirted with the first team for years but ultimately couldn’t step up to the required level, even in the Championship. He done the same at Aberdeen with some of their big earners and big personalities like Scott Brown

Even with his own signings, Denham as an example, played a couple of games, was absolutely hopeless, and was never seen again. Goodwin recognised he wasn’t up to it, signed Gallagher to replace him and that was that. How many managers have we seen persist with shite game after game, purely out of ego, when we can all see they aren’t up to it?

Goodwin for the most part actually seems to see the game the way we all see it, and isn’t too proud to admit when he’s made a mistake. He’s since admitted that he got things wrong when he was tinkering with the team around the Airdrie/Dunfernline games in February/March time. You  can’t expect perfection from any manager, but there hasn’t been many, if any United managers in my lifetime that would hold their hands up when they made a mistake, so you have to give him a lot of credit for that.

Grimshaw seems a nice lad, and a good pro who works hard, but he is extremely limited as a footballer. He cost us goals and gave up chances from poor positioning and giving the ball away on a number of occasions. This would only be amplified at Premiership level against better players. Shame cause he seems a good lad, and is popular in the dressing room, but just doesn’t have the ability to cut it at the level we’re looking to be at.

23/6/2024 2:41 pm  #319

JerryDungle wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

That’s one thing I like about Goodwin. He is ruthless when it comes to players that aren’t at the required level. Culled nearly all the shite from the relegation season (bar one jobby that refused to flush), then again this season, let go of a lot of the academy players who have flirted with the first team for years but ultimately couldn’t step up to the required level, even in the Championship. He done the same at Aberdeen with some of their big earners and big personalities like Scott Brown

Even with his own signings, Denham as an example, played a couple of games, was absolutely hopeless, and was never seen again. Goodwin recognised he wasn’t up to it, signed Gallagher to replace him and that was that. How many managers have we seen persist with shite game after game, purely out of ego, when we can all see they aren’t up to it?

Goodwin for the most part actually seems to see the game the way we all see it, and isn’t too proud to admit when he’s made a mistake. He’s since admitted that he got things wrong when he was tinkering with the team around the Airdrie/Dunfernline games in February/March time. You  can’t expect perfection from any manager, but there hasn’t been many, if any United managers in my lifetime that would hold their hands up when they made a mistake, so you have to give him a lot of credit for that.

Grimshaw seems a nice lad, and a good pro who works hard, but he is extremely limited as a footballer. He cost us goals and gave up chances from poor positioning and giving the ball away on a number of occasions. This would only be amplified at Premiership level against better players. Shame cause he seems a good lad, and is popular in the dressing room, but just doesn’t have the ability to cut it at the level we’re looking to be at.

On the money, great post.

24/6/2024 4:28 am  #320

CCX2 2010 wrote:

On the money, great post.

Agreed.

24/6/2024 9:50 am  #321

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

He really isn't as bad as you're making out. Was part of a very successful defence last season. He'll be fine as back up in my opinion.

I've nothing against Grimshaw.  Seems like he works hard and definitely put in a shift last season.  Problem is he's not a great footballer.  He seemed passable on grass, but on the plastic his first touch was worse than mine which suggests he's a not very good footballer.  He is not good enough to play in the top league.  He would get targetted at right back and he's so far off a competent midfielder at that level that it really isn't worth holding on to him.

Goodwin as others have said appears to understand this.  He'd be better playing week in week out for Morton or the like.

I watched Bonnyrigg Rose a few times last season and they've got better midfield options than Grimshaw.

24/6/2024 10:10 am  #322

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

I've nothing against Grimshaw.  Seems like he works hard and definitely put in a shift last season.  Problem is he's not a great footballer.  He seemed passable on grass, but on the plastic his first touch was worse than mine which suggests he's a not very good footballer.  He is not good enough to play in the top league.  He would get targetted at right back and he's so far off a competent midfielder at that level that it really isn't worth holding on to him.

Goodwin as others have said appears to understand this.  He'd be better playing week in week out for Morton or the like.

I watched Bonnyrigg Rose a few times last season and they've got better midfield options than Grimshaw.

Well if it's true he's been told he can leave then I'm certainly not opposed to us bringing in better,unless we are going to be reliant on the younger lads as back up, I'll wait and see I guess.

24/6/2024 10:32 am  #323

As posted a bit up the page, Goodwin isn't shy of moving a player on who he deems not good enough and that's a good approach.

Grimshaw mostly was solid, but he was limited, but played his part, so thanks and good luck.

The Morton fans were upset when he left them, it was meant to be a good signing for us, maybe he's just a better player in a team where his main job was to defend, rather than to be on the front foot?

The signing of Strain and the emergence of Miller Thompson who can fill in there if needed, suggests he'd see very little game time anyway.

I just hope he wasn't put on a decent contract, as we might struggle to shift him.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

24/6/2024 10:59 am  #324

How many more do you think we will sign.

Currently, I'd like a keeper, 1 or 2 options at cb, 2 cm and an at least 1 attacking option. I guess it all depends on how big handsome rates out youth players and the part they can play in the season ahead

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

24/6/2024 11:13 am  #325

If we're assuming Trapanovski gets his permit, then i'd like at least....Keeper, left sided CB, a ball playing midfielder and a Jon Daly type striker.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

Board footera