Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08/5/2024 1:46 pm  #126

Re: Out of Contract players - Who would you keep?

Och well.

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

08/5/2024 2:24 pm  #127

From what im hearing JG is being pretty ruthless. Makes sense I suppose if you just bring in a head of recruitment from England he's going to want to bring players in from his neck of the woods which im guessing is lower league English players.

08/5/2024 3:07 pm  #128

dufc2019 wrote:

From what im hearing JG is being pretty ruthless. Makes sense I suppose if you just bring in a head of recruitment from England he's going to want to bring players in from his neck of the woods which im guessing is lower league English players.

What else have you heard?  Assuming you can post it here.

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

08/5/2024 3:13 pm  #129

its official now mate

08/5/2024 3:14 pm  #130

Jim phoned Ramsay's this morning at the skip has just arrived...

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/8393/SQUAD-UPDATE--MAY-2024-.html

08/5/2024 3:16 pm  #131

Ruthless

I like.

08/5/2024 3:18 pm  #132

Well done Jim and team, ruthless as said above.

15 away today, a great chance to bring in a good squad.

08/5/2024 3:19 pm  #133

Wee bit surprised about McMann, but let’s be honest, he was a pretty average player on the whole, if Goodwin feels he can get in better then in all for it.

Mochrie, Glass & Meekison are all five’s players who were never gonna make it here. The penny should’ve dropped years ago with them that they needed to bulk up and toughen up if they were to have a chance of making it here.

Surprised to see Cudjoe’s name isn’t on the list.

08/5/2024 3:23 pm  #134

This is stated as being an initial update.  More to leave I suspect...

08/5/2024 3:28 pm  #135

I feel for mcmann. Although limited, he's been over the course and experience counts, however, I guess it could be for a number of reasons - he may not have liked an offer of being a bit part player or had an offer elsewhere.

Thought Duffy might get a 1 year and thought mochries goal might have got him a deal too but not not disappointed really.

Wish all the players (except 1) all the best for their careers, wherever that takes them.

Today though is the end of an era and a day to celebrate. Birighiti is a goner. He came with high hopes and refused to move on when it was clear he was shite. Albeit it's his choice to see out the contract he was awarded, he mistakes alone were enough to relegate us (albeit assisted by mulgrew and Ryan Edwards and if press rumours are anything to go by, had several chances to go elsewhere but refused (and refused the offer of a pay off).

So fuckety bye spaghetti birigheti and at last, the real remnants of a catastrophic season have left the building.

Onwards and upwards

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

08/5/2024 3:37 pm  #136

Birighiti is not to blame.  The Fat Controller brought him half way around the world to try and make the club (and no doubt himself) a quick buck by flogging a world cup keeper.  Didn't work out much like most of Asghar's nonsense.  The man to blame is Ogren for trusting the Fat Controller.  

Birighiti will have to accept he's no fans favourite, but I don't think it's appropriate to celebrate his departure.  The gullible buffoon (nicest words possible) is still at the helm and can just as easily screw it up again.

08/5/2024 3:47 pm  #137

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/8393/SQUAD-UPDATE--MAY-2024-.html

Apologies - link was posted ages ago, thread hadn’t updated for me!

Surprised at McMann, going to be a lot of incomings.

Last edited by Snacks94 (08/5/2024 3:59 pm)

08/5/2024 3:49 pm  #138

Dont think we'[ll miss any of them. Still more I want to see go too. 
Opportunity to rebuild the squad, using someone who's got some experience and isn't interested in lining his own pockets. 

Another host of academy players leaving the club with no return is alarming, though. 

08/5/2024 4:05 pm  #139

Finn Seemann wrote:

Birighiti is not to blame.  The Fat Controller brought him half way around the world to try and make the club (and no doubt himself) a quick buck by flogging a world cup keeper.  Didn't work out much like most of Asghar's nonsense.  The man to blame is Ogren for trusting the Fat Controller.  

Birighiti will have to accept he's no fans favourite, but I don't think it's appropriate to celebrate his departure.  The gullible buffoon (nicest words possible) is still at the helm and can just as easily screw it up again.

The reasoning being bringing him in, I get what you're saying, he was fucking rotten though.

All goalies make mistakes, not as many as him though, he cost us loads of games,  the mistakes he made would have given a schoolboy a minter.

And let's not forget him tongue punching big Ange's hoop after the 9-0 game.

Poppadum wristed tosspot.

08/5/2024 4:16 pm  #140

This ruthlessness doesn't surprise me one bit. Our "biggest name" player last season, Mulgrew, who had overseen the departure of a couple of managers, was summarily dismissed at the first opportunity. I've always felt that Goodwin doesn't air dirty laundry in public, and doesn't feck around behind closed doors.

Aside from McMann, at the end of the day these are all squad players who couldn't establish a starting berth in a team playing in the Championship. Thanks and good luck to all of them, except Birighitti - I echo Mr. Blunkett's sentiments.

A wee bit surprised at McMann being let go - I do not think he would have been released if Goodwin didn't have an upgrade already lined up.

08/5/2024 4:20 pm  #141

Quite pleased with that to be honest, no room for sentiment from JG. McMann was good this season but the relegation season showed his level, albeit he wasn't helped by poppadum wrist and the general piss poor play of those around him.

We should be aiming for a higher quality of player, although, when you bin someone who is consistent, the pressure is on in such situations to recruit properly.

Happy enough with the other departures. Thanks for your help in promotion, and particularly hope the academy grads go on to get first team football and have good careers but they couldn't cut it this season and it's definitely time for both parties to go a different route.

08/5/2024 4:24 pm  #142

Very telling that 7 of the 11 boys who’ve been let go are graduates of our esteemed academy.

Who was the last player who actually went on to do anything with their career from our academy? Harry Souttar? He left about 8 year ago. Gauld, Armstrong, Souttar etc. are probably the last group that actually contributed anything meaningful to our first team. That’s a hell of a lot of money pissed up the wall in the last decade on very little output.

For a club that has long prided itself on bringing through some of the best young players in the country, our record over the past decade is absolutely pathetic. We’ve now been outstripped by the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell and dare I say it, The Fun in this regard.

Something is rotten to the core in the way we coach and teach young footballers, massive changes required in this department.

Funny that all of this coincides with roughly the time Stevie Campbell left the club eh? That was a man who knew the standard you had to reach to make it in the first team.

08/5/2024 4:27 pm  #143

David_Blunkett wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

The reasoning being bringing him in, I get what you're saying, he was fucking rotten though.

All goalies make mistakes, not as many as him though, he cost us loads of games,  the mistakes he made would have given a schoolboy a minter.

And let's not forget him tongue punching big Ange's hoop after the 9-0 game.

Poppadum wristed tosspot.

If declaring your undying love for either side of the old firm was an issue for Dundee United we'd not have had many of our legends over the years.  Granted doing so after chucking 9 (nine) in against them was somewhat naive...

08/5/2024 4:28 pm  #144

No cudjoe, holt, moult, odonnell, Thompson or Graham on the list

Would be shocked if holt or cudjoe were to get a new deal if I am honest

08/5/2024 4:33 pm  #145

My comments on McMann above (before his departure was announced) stand, but if anyone witnessed his performance at Spartans then you know that he is not top league standard.  All his other redeeming features mean that we'll wish him very well for the future.  My guess is he didn't fancy keeping a bench warm and neither he should at his age.  2 left backs needed...if his current understudy couldn't keep McMann out of the team then he's not going to be good enough for the top league either.

08/5/2024 4:34 pm  #146

JerryDungle wrote:

Very telling that 7 of the 11 boys who’ve been let go are graduates of our esteemed academy.

Who was the last player who actually went on to do anything with their career from our academy? Harry Souttar? He left about 8 year ago. Gauld, Armstrong, Souttar etc. are probably the last group that actually contributed anything meaningful to our first team. That’s a hell of a lot of money pissed up the wall in the last decade on very little output.

For a club that has long prided itself on bringing through some of the best young players in the country, our record over the past decade is absolutely pathetic. We’ve now been outstripped by the likes of Aberdeen, Motherwell and dare I say it, The Fun in this regard.

Something is rotten to the core in the way we coach and teach young footballers, massive changes required in this department.

Funny that all of this coincides with roughly the time Stevie Campbell left the club eh? That was a man who knew the standard you had to reach to make it in the first team.

The problem is that instead of teaching players to become better football players, the academy in recent years has become a hotbed of focus on "technical ability". Instead of focussing on builiding individuals, the entire academy is a factory for players that play in the modern "3 behind the striker" who don't seem to really have an identified position and tend to be really good at tippy tappy passes down at the 5 asides, but not much good at playing 11 a side football in the Scottish leagues.

Can anyone in here say with certainty what the best positions are for Mochrie, Meekison, Glass, Chalmers, Macleod?

Last edited by Morphman (08/5/2024 4:36 pm)

08/5/2024 4:51 pm  #147

Finn Seemann wrote:

My comments on McMann above (before his departure was announced) stand, but if anyone witnessed his performance at Spartans then you know that he is not top league standard.  All his other redeeming features mean that we'll wish him very well for the future.  My guess is he didn't fancy keeping a bench warm and neither he should at his age.  2 left backs needed...if his current understudy couldn't keep McMann out of the team then he's not going to be good enough for the top league either.

Harsh to judge someone on the very first game of the season and not on their valuable contribution through a successful campaign.

08/5/2024 4:56 pm  #148

Watched Duffy last night in the league 2 play off for Peterhead v Spartans.  Didn’t stand out at that level, can’t see him cutting it in premier league.

08/5/2024 5:09 pm  #149

Wouldn’t be overly bothered if we added Cudjoe, Holt and Miller Thompson to the list.

08/5/2024 5:21 pm  #150

Scott Burns says Thomson expected to sign new deal and Graham and Cudjoe remain in talks.

Think Holt and Moult have possibly triggered new 1 year deals (similar to Sibbald)

Board footera