Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05/2/2024 4:02 am  #1

Out of Contract players - Who would you keep?

The list below are all current DUFC players who's contract will be up in the Summer. Who would you keep out of the list, if any?

Jack Walton
Mark Birighitti
Ruairidh Adams
Kieran Freeman
Ross Graham
Kevin Holt
Scott McMann
Flynn Duffy
Craig Moore
Layton Bisland
David Wotherspoon
Craig Sibbald (appearances close to triggering new 1 year extension, however)
Jordan Tillson
Archie Meekison
Declan Glass
Chris Mochrie
Mathew Cudjoe
Lewis O'Donnell
Bryan Mwangi
Alex Grieve
Louis Moult
Logan Chalmers
Sadat Anaku
Miller Thomson

That's a whopping TWENTY FOUR players out of contract. All have been involved in either first team or first team squads.

Meaning that the only senior players left on the books as of June will be-

Jack Newman
Luke Grimshaw
Declan Gallagher
Glenn Middleton
Ross Docherty
Craig Sibbald (almost certainly)
Tony Watt
Kai Fotheringham
Rory MacLeod 

NINE players left with first team experience. Though two of them with very little (Newman and MacLeod).

We would need the biggest overhaul of players and the biggest Summer recruitment campaign that the club has possibly ever faced.

Back to my original question. Who would you offer a new deal too, if indeed anyone?

05/2/2024 4:08 am  #2

Re: Out of Contract players - Who would you keep?

There is a part of me btw who would get rid of the lot and completely clear the decks.

That would be a lot of wages freed up to get in some better quality players to take us to the next level.

Which is exactly what we'll need.

Who out of the young players can improve enough to become useful to us? That is the only question worth asking here imo.

Last edited by Tek (05/2/2024 4:10 am)

05/2/2024 4:32 am  #3

I would get rid of pretty much everyone. I would keep Cudjoe, but I don't think he would re-sign anyway...... But I think if we can keep him we will make money off him in the future. Definitely a good player there.

I would also keep Moult on another year, assuming we go up.

I would maybe keep Mochrie purely based on a gut feeling.

The way the club has been hemorrhaging money, I can only assume they will be desperate to lower the wage bill and clear most of these guys out.

Last edited by Glasgow is tangerine (05/2/2024 4:34 am)

05/2/2024 8:09 am  #4

Out of the first team players there. Kevin Holt’s definitely done enough to earn himself a new deal, maybe McMann. Some of the young players, Meekison, Mochrie, Thomson, but in all honesty, I wouldn’t be heartbroken if they left either, our relegation was a good opportunity for them to step up and cement their place in the team, and none of them have done that, what really are the chances they’ll do it in the Premiership?

Moult would probably depend on who the manager feels he can bring in. Might be a no bad squad option, but he’s been off the boil for months now.

Lewis O’ Donnell has been getting rave reviews at Kelty Hearts, but has teams down south circling, so will be away. Cudjoe has a lot of ability, and could become a good player if he knuckled down, but his agent has been filling his head with shite, so he’ll likely leave.

In short, there’s a very select few I’d possibly keep, but it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if they were to go.

05/2/2024 11:19 am  #5

I'd keep the following all based on being first team ready.  I'm not clued up enough to know about a lot of the youth players.  I'd keep Ruairidh, Flynn, Lewis and Miller on alleged reputation more than anything else:

Jack Walton (Although I doubt we'd be able to afford him if we could persuade him to sign permanently).
Ruairidh Adams
Kevin Holt
Scott McMann
Flynn Duffy
David Wotherspoon (if he does well)
Craig Sibbald
Lewis O'Donnell
Miller Thomson

Re the three below, I'd maybe give them a years extension, but if they don't cut it, then I'd move them on next January.

Ross Graham
Archie Meekison
Chris Mochrie

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

05/2/2024 11:27 am  #6

Jack Walton – try to keep but prob too expensive, but may want to play every week
Ross Graham – extend 1 year, don’t see any young players coming through in this position at the moment
Kevin Holt
Scott McMann – extend 1 year
David Wotherspoon – make decision at end of season
Craig Sibbald (appearances close to triggering new 1 year extension, however)
Archie Meekison - 1 year extension, could be a decision between him and Mochrie
Chris Mochrie – 1 year extension, could be decision between him and Meekison
Louis Moult – has to offer more between now and end of season

Keep the following young players – moving on some of the other former youth players should create space, but would expect at least a couple to be released
Miller Thomson
Lewis O'Donnell
Bryan Mwangi
Craig Moore
Layton Bisland
Ruairidh Adams

Last edited by Lancashire-Arab (05/2/2024 11:30 am)

05/2/2024 11:27 am  #7

I'd keep Walton (if it's an option) Sibbald, Holt as a squad player and Graham, Moult if he can stay fit and we actually play to his strengths.

Not sure any of the young lads will ever make it or are good enough to make the step up.

And i wouldn't cry if a few of the contracted players moved on as well.

Goodwin has bought well for where we are, if he's to stay on, we must give him as musch funds to play with to build his own squad.

Last edited by David_Blunkett (05/2/2024 11:29 am)

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

05/2/2024 11:51 am  #8

Didn't Bryan M get a 2 year contract at the start of this season?

05/2/2024 12:10 pm  #9

Macho Man wrote:

I'd keep the following all based on being first team ready.  I'm not clued up enough to know about a lot of the youth players.  I'd keep Ruairidh, Flynn, Lewis and Miller on alleged reputation more than anything else:

Jack Walton (Although I doubt we'd be able to afford him if we could persuade him to sign permanently).
Ruairidh Adams
Kevin Holt
Scott McMann
Flynn Duffy
Craig Sibbald
Lewis O'Donnell
Miller Thomson

Re the three below, I'd maybe give them a years extension, but if they don't cut it, then I'd move them on next January.

Ross Graham
Archie Meekison
Chris Mochrie

So you'd keep Duffy but possibly let Graham,Meekison and Mochrie go next Jan. Thats some take mate  

05/2/2024 12:13 pm  #10

David_Blunkett wrote:

Goodwin has bought well for where we are, if he's to stay on, we must give him as musch funds to play with to build his own squad.

Ogren won't do that, unless we get a massive transfer fee for one of our contracted players.

We are overspending on players wages, in the Championship.  Ogren is trying to recoup as much as he can before retreating back to the basketball/baseball/hockey scene in the US.  There's no chance he'll foot the bill to bring in the standard of players to allow us to make a real go of things in the Premiership.

05/2/2024 12:17 pm  #11

Middleton and Watt are 2 of the highest earners and if your taking into account value for money right down at the bottom of the list, still have another year to go after this but id imaging the club keen to get rid

05/2/2024 12:29 pm  #12

dufc2019 wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

Ruairidh Adams
Kevin Holt
Scott McMann
Flynn Duffy
Craig Sibbald
Lewis O'Donnell
Miller Thomson

Ross Graham
Archie Meekison
Chris Mochrie

So you'd keep Duffy but possibly let Graham,Meekison and Mochrie go next Jan. Thats some take mate  

Graham, Meekison and Mochrie have all been in or around the first team squad for years but we all still think of them as backup to the starting 11.  I've not seen much from any of them to make me think that they will be a regular starter for the club, at least not for a good few years yet.  That's not a luxury Utd can afford.  For me, they are bench warmers that will only get a chance of a start when injuries or suspension allows.  If they were good enough, they'd be getting starts.

Admittedly, I did say in my first post that I don't know much about some of the youth players and that the ones I mentioned I'd keep based on what I've heard about them more than anything else.

However, wanting to keep players that haven't improved that much, if at all, whilst being on the fringes of the first team for a decent amount of time, even now after we have dropped down a league, is some take.

I could be wrong about them.  Here's hoping.

05/2/2024 12:31 pm  #13

I'd keep Walton, Graham, Holt, McMann, Sibbald, Meekison and  Mochrie from that list.  On the basis I don't know too much about them I'd also keep Adams, Duffy, Moore, O'Donnell, Mwangi and Thomson and see how they develop.  Bisland is a maybe, but the boy has to be getting himself a starters berth at Falkirk ASAP or he can forget it.

From those contracted beyond the summer, I'd cry no tears if all bar Fotheringham departed unless Gallagher and Docherty can get over their injuries in which case they'd be worth keeping. MacLeod falls into the maybe given his youth.

That's 10 first team 'regulars' at a push.  One keeper,  4 defenders (but not an operable back four), 4 midfielders (2 squad players and 2 youngsters who may be unlikely to make the step up) and a' winger'.  For me that means we'll need to bring in, at least, another keeper, three defenders (at least 2 right sided), 2 upgrade creative mids (Wotherspoon may be one, but I think he's probably beyond making an impact in the Prem) and probably at least another back up midfielder and 4 new forwards.  We might get one or two of those from the youngsters, but I think we are looking at 11 new players minimum!

Asghar and the baldy American clothes-less emperor have shafted our club for decades to come.

05/2/2024 12:39 pm  #14

Macho Man wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

Ruairidh Adams
Kevin Holt
Scott McMann
Flynn Duffy
Craig Sibbald
Lewis O'Donnell
Miller Thomson

Ross Graham
Archie Meekison
Chris Mochrie

Graham, Meekison and Mochrie have all been in or around the first team squad for years but we all still think of them as backup to the starting 11.  I've not seen much from any of them to make me think that they will be a regular starter for the club, at least not for a good few years yet.  That's not a luxury Utd can afford.  For me, they are bench warmers that will only get a chance of a start when injuries or suspension allows.  If they were good enough, they'd be getting starts.

Admittedly, I did say in my first post that I don't know much about some of the youth players and that the ones I mentioned I'd keep based on what I've heard about them more than anything else.

However, wanting to keep players that haven't improved that much, if at all, whilst being on the fringes of the first team for a decent amount of time, even now after we have dropped down a league, is some take.

I could be wrong about them.  Here's hoping.

its more your Duffy take, need to see the working on that one

05/2/2024 12:44 pm  #15

Not sure about this whole sort the contracts when we know what league we are.

Someone like holt should be pushing, vital to the team just now but could be binned if we go up. If i were him and from a position of strength id be asking for talks
Its common practice for player to have 2 wages in their contact for what league they are in so nothing to stop the club

05/2/2024 1:29 pm  #16

dufc2019 wrote:

I don't have workings.  As I say, its just more based on what I hear about him.  I've got a pal from Mintlaw who sometimes goes to see Peterhead.  He's meant to be relatively solid and I think he's getting a good amount of game time which should stand him in good stead for when he returns.  There's no more to it than that.

05/2/2024 1:40 pm  #17

Macho Man wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

I don't have workings.  As I say, its just more based on what I hear about him.  I've got a pal from Mintlaw who sometimes goes to see Peterhead.  He's meant to be relatively solid and I think he's getting a good amount of game time which should stand him in good stead for when he returns.  There's no more to it than that.

dont think he's had any minutes for us has he ?  Never got any game time in the Diddy cup games. 3-0 up against Arbroath and JG puts Middleton at left back now he's away to league 2. 

I'd be amazed if he's not relased in the summer obviously Goodwin dosnt rate him

05/2/2024 2:28 pm  #18

dufc2019 wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

dont think he's had any minutes for us has he ?  Never got any game time in the Diddy cup games. 3-0 up against Arbroath and JG puts Middleton at left back now he's away to league 2. 

I'd be amazed if he's not relased in the summer obviously Goodwin dosnt rate him

Maybe my pals just turns up when Duffy is playing.  I don't know.  I'm just going on what I've heard.

05/2/2024 4:22 pm  #19

dufc2019 wrote:

Middleton and Watt are 2 of the highest earners and if your taking into account value for money right down at the bottom of the list, still have another year to go after this but id imaging the club keen to get rid

Tony Tony Watt is currently costing us £50k per goal* but a couple of months ago that would have been £100k per goal so if his value rate continues to improve to say £25k per goal by the end of the season maybe we could keep him?

* 25 months at £5k/week = £550k divided by 11 goals.

05/2/2024 4:24 pm  #20

Macho Man wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Ogren won't do that, unless we get a massive transfer fee for one of our contracted players.

We are overspending on players wages, in the Championship.  Ogren is trying to recoup as much as he can before retreating back to the basketball/baseball/hockey scene in the US.  There's no chance he'll foot the bill to bring in the standard of players to allow us to make a real go of things in the Premiership.

There has to be a decent budget, there's no point going up if the plan isn't at least be pushing for top six.

The standard is pretty rotten, apart from the odd player at each club, most are chock-full of journeymen or loan signings.

Of course we may currently be overspending, but that's partly to do with how poorly we've been run the last few seasons, and the contracts we're tied into, there's a real opportunity to clear the decks here.

if It's Ogren's intention to take us up, then not allow whatever funds is necessary to be challenging or being better than half that league, then he's gonna get a hell of a rude awakening when he tries to punt season tickets.

I'm not talking about buying players, spending huge fees, but our playing budget will and should be more than most teams outwith the arsecheeks, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

It's all about how we spend it, we can't be chasing marquee signings (Levitt, Fletcher etc) who simply didn't deliver.

05/2/2024 4:26 pm  #21

https://postimg.cc/TyFJDkQL

Oh dear.

Last edited by David_Blunkett (05/2/2024 4:28 pm)

05/2/2024 5:23 pm  #22

David_Blunkett wrote:

Oh dear.

Just the usual footballers speak. Dosnt mean anything

05/2/2024 5:25 pm  #23

David_Blunkett wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

There has to be a decent budget, there's no point going up if the plan isn't at least be pushing for top six.

The standard is pretty rotten, apart from the odd player at each club, most are chock-full of journeymen or loan signings.

Of course we may currently be overspending, but that's partly to do with how poorly we've been run the last few seasons, and the contracts we're tied into, there's a real opportunity to clear the decks here.

if It's Ogren's intention to take us up, then not allow whatever funds is necessary to be challenging or being better than half that league, then he's gonna get a hell of a rude awakening when he tries to punt season tickets.

I'm not talking about buying players, spending huge fees, but our playing budget will and should be more than most teams outwith the arsecheeks, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen.

It's all about how we spend it, we can't be chasing marquee signings (Levitt, Fletcher etc) who simply didn't deliver.

We're not up yet, just saying.

05/2/2024 5:47 pm  #24

dufc2019 wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Oh dear.

Just the usual footballers speak. Dosnt mean anything

Yeah, but over the years, how many times do we have players in the press talking us up, I get what Watt is saying, I probably agree, but sometimes I wish they would just play it down a bit.

05/2/2024 5:51 pm  #25

Arabdownsouth wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

We're not up yet, just saying.

Isn't the point of this thread, that it's who we would keep IF we go up, so we're talking hypothetically?

We're not likely to bin all the out of contract players, but in an ideal world, blank canvas and all that...

Board footera