Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13/12/2023 12:03 pm  #51

Re: January window, what do we need?

Finn Seemann wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Buying the best players from Raith is a good idea in theory, but they don't strengthen us, it weakens them.

Whilst i'm all for anything that wins us this league, lets just actually strengthen ourselves.

There's very few players at United that I have confidence in that can perform in the league above, so lets make sure we get this right in January.

Reality check required.  The chances of us bringing in players who are top league standard this January is simply wishful thinking.  All we will be able to do is pick up maybe one good youngster from the lower divisions that will take a gamble on us going straight back up for the chance to grow into a top league player next season and/or a couple of loan signings of players who are currently not cutting it in better leagues.  The latter either with a view to signing them up next season, or more likely developing them for someone else.

If anyone thinks we'll 'sort' the team for next season this window they are sadly deluded.  If we get up we'll strengthen in the summer, but again that will be around the edges.  We can't afford anything other than that.  Ogren and Asghar have rookied us for seasons - we'd better get used to it.

There was a rumour mentioned on the Dode Fox podcast this week that the guy who own Brentford, I think, wants to buy United.  If that is the case we won't have to worry about how deep Ogren's pockets are, but how deep the other guys pockets are........ 

Oooooohhhh yeeeeeaaaaaah!!

13/12/2023 2:28 pm  #52

dufc2019 wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

Sibbald has signed a new 1 year deal

Happy with that.  Seems he has triggered a contract clause to give him an extension which must mean he wants to be here.  That can only be positive.

Although whilst he has undoubtedly been one of our better players this year, he's probably only a squad player in the top league for the teams that we will be hoping to compete against.

I disagree i think he is a proper footballer, last season he was better then those 2 clowns that now start for hibs and aberdeen

That's a fair point, but he isn't really that type of player.  For me Levitt is a much better player than Sibbald who was played in the wrong position for most of his time at United.  I'll give you McGrath - flatters to deceive and is a luxury player who will however come up with the odd goal contribution.  Both also get/have had international recognition which Sibbald is never getting.

Last edited by Finn Seemann (13/12/2023 2:29 pm)

13/12/2023 2:37 pm  #53

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Buying the best players from Raith is a good idea in theory, but they don't strengthen us, it weakens them.

Whilst i'm all for anything that wins us this league, lets just actually strengthen ourselves.

There's very few players at United that I have confidence in that can perform in the league above, so lets make sure we get this right in January.

Reality check required.  The chances of us bringing in players who are top league standard this January is simply wishful thinking.  All we will be able to do is pick up maybe one good youngster from the lower divisions that will take a gamble on us going straight back up for the chance to grow into a top league player next season and/or a couple of loan signings of players who are currently not cutting it in better leagues.  The latter either with a view to signing them up next season, or more likely developing them for someone else.

If anyone thinks we'll 'sort' the team for next season this window they are sadly deluded.  If we get up we'll strengthen in the summer, but again that will be around the edges.  We can't afford anything other than that.  Ogren and Asghar have rookied us for seasons - we'd better get used to it.

There was a rumour mentioned on the Dode Fox podcast this week that the guy who own Brentford, I think, wants to buy United.  If that is the case we won't have to worry about how deep Ogren's pockets are, but how deep the other guys pockets are........ 

Looked into that.  Seems to be looking at a few clubs across Europe.  Drawback would seem to be making any money out of us but he did do that with Midtjylland so it isn't impossible - but in my view unlikely.  Midtjylland are a team who have only failed to qualify for Europe 6 times this millennium.  We've made it 5 times in the same period and haven't got passed the first round!

13/12/2023 3:27 pm  #54

Finn Seemann wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Looked into that.  Seems to be looking at a few clubs across Europe.  Drawback would seem to be making any money out of us but he did do that with Midtjylland so it isn't impossible - but in my view unlikely.  Midtjylland are a team who have only failed to qualify for Europe 6 times this millennium.  We've made it 5 times in the same period and haven't got passed the first round!

I've not searched for anything, as I've not had the time.  Out of interest, what did you find out and where?

13/12/2023 9:42 pm  #55

SuperMario wrote:

Sibbald has signed a new 1 year deal

Great news.
Good work Goodwin.

14/12/2023 2:30 pm  #56

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

I've not searched for anything, as I've not had the time.  Out of interest, what did you find out and where?

Various gleaned from a number of sites and then with my own view layered on top.  Started with a search against Matthew Benham and went from their - didn't note down the sites.  Put it this way there are more than a few clubs out there hoping he looks in their direction...

14/12/2023 2:32 pm  #57

Finn Seemann wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Various gleaned from a number of sites and then with my own view layered on top.  Started with a search against Matthew Benham and went from their - didn't note down the sites.  Put it this way there are more than a few clubs out there hoping he looks in their direction...

thanks.

I had a very quick search last night but didn't get very far.

15/12/2023 1:12 am  #58

Finn Seemann wrote:

Tek wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

Agreed.

Of all there players i'd genuinely only take Stanton. And even then it would only be as a squad man, moving forward.

I don't think any improve us long term. Which has to be a focus this window (even in terms of pre-contracts).

Nobody of any use is signing a pre-contract with us until we are guaranteed promotion and as things are currently going that is going to be back end of the season.

Disagree Finn.

I think any up and coming player would sign for us regardless of whether we are Championship or Premiership.

Assuming he never had bigger suitors, of course.

15/12/2023 1:13 am  #59

Hearing Matthew Cudjoe tipped to leave in January.

With Spain his likely destination.

15/12/2023 8:40 am  #60

Tek wrote:

He's a decent squad player, but I don't think it will be a loss if true.

15/12/2023 9:35 am  #61

Tek wrote:

Apparently his Agent has been leaking training clips

15/12/2023 10:37 am  #62

Tek wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Tek wrote:

Agreed.

Of all there players i'd genuinely only take Stanton. And even then it would only be as a squad man, moving forward.

I don't think any improve us long term. Which has to be a focus this window (even in terms of pre-contracts).

Nobody of any use is signing a pre-contract with us until we are guaranteed promotion and as things are currently going that is going to be back end of the season.

Disagree Finn.

I think any up and coming player would sign for us regardless of whether we are Championship or Premiership.

Assuming he never had bigger suitors, of course.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.  The talk was of players that will improve us and be capable of playing a division up.  The only players that will take a chance on us getting up are players who are not guaranteed to be top league level.  Of course, we may get lucky on that front and we definitely need 3 or 4 more who would actually offer us something from the bench (beyond failing or largely untested academy players), but there is nobody signing a pre-contract in January that will be guaranteed to improve us in August.

15/12/2023 10:39 am  #63

Spain would suit Cudjoe's game better, but in all honesty we need more consistent performers for where we are at the moment so if there is some cash in it and we have sounded out a replacement that provides more consistency then everyone's a winner.

15/12/2023 2:44 pm  #64

Macho Man wrote:

Tek wrote:

Maybe but when he plays he does tend to make goal contributions which is what he's there to do.

15/12/2023 3:16 pm  #65

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

Tek wrote:

Maybe but when he plays he does tend to make goal contributions which is what he's there to do.

Fair comment, but he isn't playing much these days.  I'd rather have Kai playing.

15/12/2023 3:19 pm  #66

Get him out, replace with Simon Murray

15/12/2023 3:46 pm  #67

Macho Man wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

Fair comment, but he isn't playing much these days.  I'd rather have Kai playing.

Likewise, but Cudjoe is a better option from the bench than most of the young lads we currently have unfortunately. Still, if he's not fully committed to the cause then fuck him.

15/12/2023 7:30 pm  #68

Macho Man wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Macho Man wrote:

And if Kai gets injured for any length of time?

17/12/2023 8:37 pm  #69

Tek wrote:

Should get some dosh then

17/12/2023 8:56 pm  #70

Arab99 wrote:

Tek wrote:

Should get some dosh then

Not much. He's out of contract in the Summer.

Not sure if there will be a development fee involved mind you due to the age he was when we signed him.

17/12/2023 11:29 pm  #71

Heard at the game yesterday that Tony Watt was part of the talks to Ross County, they want him permanent in January but were only interested in loaning us a striker. Heard it was Murray or Brophy.

18/12/2023 9:08 am  #72

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Heard at the game yesterday that Tony Watt was part of the talks to Ross County, they want him permanent in January but were only interested in loaning us a striker. Heard it was Murray or Brophy.

I’ve heard Murray is a done deal. Scunnered already with this season and can only see us getting beaten in the play offs come the season’s end. Hope I’m very wrong. 

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

18/12/2023 11:50 am  #73

RogerTheAlien wrote:

If Watt leaves we need two Strikers.

Murray and another.

Pig sick of us having zero options upfront and kids on the bench who never come on and are there just to make up the numbers.

Sign some fucking Strikers, United.

The club seem allergic to them.

18/12/2023 12:20 pm  #74

Murray will be a good signing I think.
18 goals and 12 assists in 50 games in season 16/17 isn't to be sniffed at in all honesty. 
Would quite happily offload watt in a swap deal. 
We badly need a right back, so Grimshaw can step into midfield. The boy Tilson is murder and Docherty seems to be one for picking up injuries. 

18/12/2023 12:27 pm  #75

WeeDude_83 wrote:

Murray will be a good signing I think.
18 goals and 12 assists in 50 games in season 16/17 isn't to be sniffed at in all honesty. 
Would quite happily offload watt in a swap deal. 
We badly need a right back, so Grimshaw can step into midfield. The boy Tilson is murder and Docherty seems to be one for picking up injuries. 

If we put Grimshaw into midfield get used to the Championship.

Board footera