Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02/11/2023 10:03 pm  #1

Utd vs ICT - Saturday 4th November

Utd going for their 5th win in a row and 5th clean sheet in a row on Saturday.

Duncan Ferguson is welcomed as the opposition Manager in what will be his first competitive action at Tannadice since April 5th 1994, a 0-0 home draw with Glasgow Rangers, just a month before defeating the same club in the Scottish Cup Final.

His appointment has signalled an upturn in the fortunes of the Inverness side. Rooted to the bottom of the Championship, without a win, upon his arrival, the Caley Jags have subsequently went on a three game unbeaten run. Winning two (versus Arbroath and Airdrie) and drawing the other (Partick Thistle).

Here is Jim Goodwin's thoughts on Saturday's match. He confirms Ross Docherty will need to be rested for a week to 10 days, so unfortunately will miss Saturday.

02/11/2023 10:34 pm  #2

Re: Utd vs ICT - Saturday 4th November

Expecting the trickiest game of the last 7 days. He’ll be desperate for a result and to put his name out there.

Tillson and Moult in for Doch and Glass only changes for me.

2-0 United.

03/11/2023 1:40 pm  #3

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Expecting the trickiest game of the last 7 days. He’ll be desperate for a result and to put his name out there.

2-0 United.

yeah, dont rate Tilson myself like

03/11/2023 9:48 pm  #4

dufc2019 wrote:

Me either.

Willing to give him a chance, of course.

But just don't see what he brings to the table, so far.

03/11/2023 10:38 pm  #5

Listened to Big Dunc's interview on the BBC the night.

He says United are gonna win the League and we're the best team in the League.

Wha would argue we Big Dunc.

04/11/2023 1:54 am  #6

dufc2019 wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

2-0 United.

Neither do i but sounded like he played really well on Tuesday night.

04/11/2023 2:43 am  #7

RogerTheAlien wrote:

Neither do i but sounded like he played really well on Tuesday night.

He didn't. I watched him closely. He never done anything bad per se, but he just doesn't impose himself in the match in any shape or form. Every pass a 2 or 3 yard pass sideways or backwards. 

Goodwin is gaslighting the support a wee bit there by saying he was one of our best players. Utter nonsense.

04/11/2023 8:19 am  #8

Tilson is just OK. He is no replacement for Docherty though.
Grimshaw would be a better replacement in CM.
However it would be unwise to break up the increasingly successful back four. And complete and utter madness to bring Freeman in to the team as he is shite.

04/11/2023 10:11 am  #9

I don’t think Jordan is any better or offers us anymore than any of the other midfielders who step in for Ross so like others have said we would be better off playing one of our academy players as we really need to find out who if any will be able to do a job for us with any eye on next season and whoever gets the nod today should have enough about them to see off ICT.

04/11/2023 12:34 pm  #10

Goodwin is publicly backing Tilson to try and boost his confidence,  he's done similar things from his first day. For what it's worth I think he's a 6/10 guy, but what he can't do is get sent off like the last time against ICT, stay on the pitch and just do the simple shit, that's what he's there for.

Watt, Freeman, Graham and any other fringe players are regularly given praise to try and get the best from them.

I think Goodwin is very good at the mind games, everyweek there's a curve ball with team selections, he gives nothing away in terms of injuries in terms of his pre match press conferences.

3 points the day please and no more injuries 🙏

04/11/2023 3:08 pm  #11

Stillliving wrote:

Tilson is just OK. He is no replacement for Docherty though.
Grimshaw would be a better replacement in CM.
However it would be unwise to break up the increasingly successful back four. And complete and utter madness to bring Freeman in to the team as he is shite.

Freeman in today

04/11/2023 7:08 pm  #12

Both teams trying to play football today and on the day not much between them but if we’d taken our chances it would have been 3 points instead of only 1 .
Definitely missed Ross as we are not the same team without him.
Still unbeaten and top of the league so can’t complain.

04/11/2023 7:22 pm  #13

You could put an actual sheep at right back instead of Freeman and they would be more influential. The boy is never a footballer in a million years and you can tell his teammates feel the same.

04/11/2023 7:30 pm  #14

KdyArab wrote:

You could put an actual sheep at right back instead of Freeman and they would be more influential. The boy is never a footballer in a million years and you can tell his teammates feel the same.

Unfortunately I would agree. You never like to criticize a player, especially an academy player.
However his career trajectory will be Forfar then Carnoustie Panmure before he is 30.

04/11/2023 7:59 pm  #15

Thought Mochrie was more positive in his 10 mins than Tilson  was in the entire match

04/11/2023 8:13 pm  #16

Stillliving wrote:

KdyArab wrote:

Unfortunately I would agree. You never like to criticize a player, especially an academy player.
However his career trajectory will be Forfar then Carnoustie Panmure before he is 30.

You never like to criticise a player?

From the guy who called him shite before he was even named in the line up 🤣

04/11/2023 8:28 pm  #17

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

KdyArab wrote:

You never like to criticise a player?

From the guy who called him shite before he was even named in the line up 🤣

I take no pleasure in one of our own players being shite. But after today I think plenty Arabs will agree with my considered analysis.

04/11/2023 9:16 pm  #18

At half-time we shoulda been 3-0 up, if we'd only ta'en wir chances.

Found the 2nd half very unconvincing.We definitely missed Grimshaw and Docherty. Build-up was slow. It was pretty predictable.
Holt-Gallacher-Freeman or Gallacher-Holt-McMann, pretty much coz the Midfield had little presence.

Ye couldna believe that was the Top-of-the-League team against the bottom team.
(waiting fir meh windees goin in)

Icy-Tea were good on the break, and so was their passin.

Brilliant haeder fae Holt the Bolt saves the day.

MOTM for me Middleton.

05/11/2023 1:48 am  #19

That is one helluva header from Holt. The 'diving header' almost a dying art.

05/11/2023 10:08 am  #20

I would like to see both Louis and Scott’s chances in the first half again as both chances looked easier to score than miss . Not sure what this having 2 players lined up to take corners is all about either?
Also noticed a good few crosses put in and no one to get on the end of them with Louis dropping deeper to get involved in the play and offering himself for throw ins while Tony was playing further forward.

Last edited by BMT (05/11/2023 10:12 am)

05/11/2023 4:41 pm  #21

BMT wrote:

I would like to see both Louis and Scott’s chances in the first half again as both chances looked easier to score than miss . Not sure what this having 2 players lined up to take corners is all about either?
Also noticed a good few crosses put in and no one to get on the end of them with Louis dropping deeper to get involved in the play and offering himself for throw ins while Tony was playing further forward.

Both were sitters, poor from both.

05/11/2023 8:02 pm  #22

Frustrating day all round, just couldn’t get going I felt, ICT set up to frustrate us and hit on the break which in fairness they did well, particularly in the 1st half.

Thought it was Moult’s poorest game for us yesterday, nothing seemed to come off for him.

Still had enough chances to win though.

05/11/2023 10:16 pm  #23

RogerTheAlien wrote:

BMT wrote:

The two players at corners worked pretty well for the goal, not seeing the issue?

05/11/2023 11:51 pm  #24

Arabdownsouth wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

BMT wrote:

The two players at corners worked pretty well for the goal, not seeing the issue?

A great diving header from a corner that managed to avoid the first defender. Not once did they play it short to the each other. Can’t remember if they alternated between in swingers and out swingers.

Not saying it was in issue just never seen it before and was wondering if anybody could explain the benefits of having an extra player standing on the touchline as opposed to being on the park where they could potentially influence the game.

05/11/2023 11:58 pm  #25

BMT wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

RogerTheAlien wrote:

A great diving header from a corner that managed to avoid the first defender. Not once did they play it short to the each other. Can’t remember if they alternated between in swingers and out swingers.

Not saying it was in issue just never seen it before and was wondering if anybody could explain the benefits of having an extra player standing on the touchline as opposed to being on the park where they could potentially influence the game.

Probably just the same ploy used commonly at free kicks, just to keep the defence guessing as long as possible. We are a lot better from corners this season so no real complaints from me.

Board footera