Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/5/2023 7:17 am  #1

Robbie Neilson

Canna even go into my thoughts on the game and the season as a whole yet. I’m still lower than a snakes belly after watching that last night.

Some folk might no like or agree with this, but whoever is running the club next season, whether it be Ogren or someone else entirely, should go cap in hand to Robbie Neilson and try and get him to come back to the club. Neilson’s no perfect in any way, his style of football isn’t always pleasing on the eye (though it isn’t as bad as some would’ve had you believe either) and a he’ll have left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths for the way the that he left, I get that.

But, his record in the Championship is inarguable, and we can’t be fucking about down there for too long this time. Every time he’s had a full season down there, he’s won the league at a canter. And he’s the only manager that’s realistically gettable that I’d have full confidence in to get us out of that division.

I like Jim Goodwin as a man, he’s an honest bloke, and the damage was long done before he got  here. I always thought after January we’d be a pretty hard ship to turn round between the goalkeeper, the horrendous defending and our lack of goals, so not much of this is on him. But I was warned by Aberdeen supporting mates that his teams can’t defend, and it would worry me going into the Championship that Goodwin’s no been able to even slightly cut out all of these individual errors or make us look even a wee bit more solid.

If we go into next season with Goodwin in charge, I won’t be absolutely devasted, I would accept it cautiously, but Neilson is out there and available and for me we should at least be having a conversation with him.

25/5/2023 7:41 am  #2

Re: Robbie Neilson

JerryDungle wrote:

Canna even go into my thoughts on the game and the season as a whole yet. I’m still lower than a snakes belly after watching that last night.

Some folk might no like or agree with this, but whoever is running the club next season, whether it be Ogren or someone else entirely, should go cap in hand to Robbie Neilson and try and get him to come back to the club. Neilson’s no perfect in any way, his style of football isn’t always pleasing on the eye (though it isn’t as bad as some would’ve had you believe either) and a he’ll have left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths for the way the that he left, I get that.

But, his record in the Championship is inarguable, and we can’t be fucking about down there for too long this time. Every time he’s had a full season down there, he’s won the league at a canter. And he’s the only manager that’s realistically gettable that I’d have full confidence in to get us out of that division.

I like Jim Goodwin as a man, he’s an honest bloke, and the damage was long done before he got  here. I always thought after January we’d be a pretty hard ship to turn round between the goalkeeper, the horrendous defending and our lack of goals, so not much of this is on him. But I was warned by Aberdeen supporting mates that his teams can’t defend, and it would worry me going into the Championship that Goodwin’s no been able to even slightly cut out all of these individual errors or make us look even a wee bit more solid.

If we go into next season with Goodwin in charge, I won’t be absolutely devasted, I would accept it cautiously, but Neilson is out there and available and for me we should at least be having a conversation with him.

I'd rather we went cap in hand to Czaba fucking Lazlo

25/5/2023 11:30 am  #3

Agree, no mileage in Neilson returning

25/5/2023 11:45 am  #4

Robbie always had the biggest budget in the Championship, I'd rather have Dick Campbell !

25/5/2023 2:13 pm  #5

Can I just go on record as saying if we bring back Robbie Neilson in any capacity I'm officially swapping my allegiances to The Spartans.

25/5/2023 3:41 pm  #6

As others have said he only appears to do well in this league as he usually comfortably has the biggest budget and best squad in the league.

In our case he had Shankland, it was his goals rather than Neilsons managerial ability that got us promoted.
Let's not forget before the league was ended early due to COVID we were on a run of something like 1 win in 7 games because he had us playing negative as fuck.

He isn't the answer.

Last edited by Rick Dagless (25/5/2023 3:41 pm)

Board footera