Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18/3/2023 7:10 pm  #1

If we only sign 1 free agent player

It simply has to be a STRIKER.

I get our need for a Goalkeeper, but if we only have the budget for 1 player, a Striker has to be the priority and it has to happen next week.

That is the 3rd game in a row we have missed gilt edged chances (Fletcher's 1 on 1 v Aberdeen, Anaku's open goal vs Livi, and Niskanen today when Carson is on the deck), a half decent forward scores all of them and we are 4, 5 or 6 points better off.

18/3/2023 7:59 pm  #2

Re: If we only sign 1 free agent player

Tek wrote:

I get our need for a Goalkeeper, but if we only have the budget for 1 player, a Striker has to be the priority and it has to happen next week.

That is the 3rd game in a row we have missed gilt edged chances (Fletcher's 1 on 1 v Aberdeen, Anaku's open goal vs Livi, and Niskanen today when Carson is on the deck), a half decent forward scores all of them and we are 4, 5 or 6 points better off.

Who would we even get though that would be fit and ready to go in time?

We are going to have to rely on what we have, what we have is not enough though so we're basically fucked.

18/3/2023 10:42 pm  #3

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Next game is 2 weeks away. Three weeks if we discount the Rangers game (which we'll lose regardless of line-up).

Get a Striker in early next week and we have 3 weeks to get them up to speed before Hibs at home.

19/3/2023 12:12 am  #4

Tek wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Next game is 2 weeks away. Three weeks if we discount the Rangers game (which we'll lose regardless of line-up).

Get a Striker in early next week and we have 3 weeks to get them up to speed before Hibs at home.

I see your point, but it's all too much straw clutching imo, that utter clusterfuck January window has done for us I'm afraid and I honestly have never felt more certain that we are going down. We simply can't win games and we realistically need to win 4 games out of the remaining 9.

We are worse off than Hearts were when the league got ended for covid.

22/3/2023 6:43 pm  #5

Goodwin saying the cash is there for a Striker but the players aint.

There has got to be someone available.

22/3/2023 7:26 pm  #6

Frank Nouble was just released by Colchester earlier this month. 31, big lad, would certainly give us a big presence up top with Fletcher and wouldn't be far off the pace with match sharpness and fitness.

Jo Inge Berget- 32 - Norwegian that played for clubs like Celtic, Cardiff, NY City and just got released by Malmo. Can play across the front line or attacking midfield.

22/3/2023 8:17 pm  #7

Do they not need to have been released before the end of January window Arab 87?

22/3/2023 8:49 pm  #8

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Do they not need to have been released before the end of January window Arab 87?

No idea?

22/3/2023 11:14 pm  #9

Arab87 wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

No idea?

That's two of us then 😀

23/3/2023 1:11 am  #10

Arab87 wrote:

Frank Nouble was just released by Colchester earlier this month. 31, big lad, would certainly give us a big presence up top with Fletcher and wouldn't be far off the pace with match sharpness and fitness.

Jo Inge Berget- 32 - Norwegian that played for clubs like Celtic, Cardiff, NY City and just got released by Malmo. Can play across the front line or attacking midfield.

I was looking at Transfermrkt the other day and Frank Nouble (Joel's big brother) seems an obvious candidate for us to sign, given his experience and that he just left Colchester last week and will presumably be fit and ready to go.

For anyone asking if he's any good. He only has to be a better option than Sadat Anaku and Rory MacLeod to make any move worthwhile. No offence to either player but i'd be very surprised if he wasn't.

Another player out of contract is Jurgen Locadia. A Dutch Striker with a very good pedigree who has played for some big clubs (Feyenoord, Brighton, Hoffenheim, Bochum) and made some multi million pound moves. Still only 29. Was playing in Iran of all places for a short time until recently and scored 6 in 9 for Persopolis FC before leaving abruptly due to fears over his safety living in the country.

Another is French Striker Jean-Christophe Bahebeck. A player who was at PSG for years and has played and scored in French Ligue 1, Serie A and the Eridivisie (PSG, Saint Etienne, Pescara, Utrecht, Partizan Belgrade). Last played in South America. A punt, of course. But a player with a pedigree who might just be a wildcard option.

23/3/2023 3:51 am  #11

Nouble's not exactly prolific is he?

23/3/2023 5:29 am  #12

Shedtastic wrote:

Sadat Anaku = 0 Utd Goals
Rory MacLeod = 0 Utd goals

We are only in the market to improve upon those options.

23/3/2023 8:25 am  #13

Discussing these players is a good parlour game, but we aren't going to be signing  any of them, we have to be a touch more realistic.

I don't expect to see anyone in, I suspect Jim's comment is more about being seen to try something - but let's see, and let's keep hoping.

23/3/2023 8:31 am  #14

Tek wrote:

Shedtastic wrote:

Sadat Anaku = 0 Utd Goals
Rory MacLeod = 0 Utd goals

We are only in the market to improve upon those options.

What's McNulty doing these days? 😋

23/3/2023 12:27 pm  #15

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Discussing these players is a good parlour game, but we aren't going to be signing any of them, we have to be a touch more realistic.

I don't expect to see anyone in, I suspect Jim's comment is more about being seen to try something - but let's see, and let's keep hoping.

Correct!  If only your friend Tony had not totally shafted us we might have more than one aged striker, one African boy who clearly isn't close to being good enough yet and a largely untested 17 year old who  is also some way off being any use (who we have also sold to Tony's best buddies).  So let's be realistic, we're going down and it's all down to your pal.

23/3/2023 8:34 pm  #16

Tek wrote:

Definitely need a striker but if its only one we can get out of contract it has to be a keeper for me I honestly think birighitti is possibley worst goalkeeper in history of football

24/3/2023 12:04 am  #17

No doubt we need goals.    Desparately.   From somewhere.

Terrified this is going to come down to two clusterfucks: 1/ Tony's transfer window 2/ Abysmal goal diff which could cost us a precious point, we can largely put these down to Celtic & RC ... rather no' think about it.

Aren't we forgeting Fotheringham who's progressing nicely and Middleton's return ?

Still terrified, but hey Ashgar's gone, stay up and we get rid of his big fat lurking ghost.

Board footera