Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/7/2023 9:26 pm  #301

Re: Rebuilding United in the Championship

Arab99 wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Delighted we have a goalkeeper in the squad, can't believe he can be any worse that last season's clown.

Happy we have also brought in a RCB but would like to bring in a bitb of experience to coach the young lads through.  Mental that we have a 36 year old with 40 odd caps for Scotland and we are chasing him out the door, but for me Mulgrew needs to go. Attending Celtic rally's in the league run in and chucking it against RC away last season were just too much for me.

Experience CB, Another GK and two Strikers.

Not convinced we need 5 keepers, we have 4 as off today.

One of which should never be allowed another game

10/7/2023 9:27 pm  #302

Arab99 wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Delighted we have a goalkeeper in the squad, can't believe he can be any worse that last season's clown.

Happy we have also brought in a RCB but would like to bring in a bitb of experience to coach the young lads through.  Mental that we have a 36 year old with 40 odd caps for Scotland and we are chasing him out the door, but for me Mulgrew needs to go. Attending Celtic rally's in the league run in and chucking it against RC away last season were just too much for me.

We have 4 guys that own a pair of gloves, that I agree.

Anyone watching last season seriously can't be classing that Aussie as a keeper and the other two are just wee laddies still learning their trade (one of them will go out on loan if not both).

10/7/2023 9:36 pm  #303

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Arab99 wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

One of which should never be allowed another game

Think we need to cut our losses here, nobody will give him a contract unless some club give a chunk of cash to an ex copper and put him in charge of recruitment.

Nobody would be that daft.

10/7/2023 11:32 pm  #304

JerryDungle wrote:

Tek wrote:

Stillliving wrote:

Freeman won't be fine at any level. When he gets emptied from Tannadice he will be heading for the Juniors. Him and Birighitti are two of the worst players I've seen at Tannadice.

Harsh. Still young enough to come good.

Age has nothing to do with it, you’ve still got to have ability to come good. There is not one single aspect of the game that Freeman is particularly good at. He’s not overly quick, he doesn’t have the confidence to take boys on, hence the turning back and playing a safe pass 50 times a game, he’s prone to getting bullied defensively, doesn’t make a great job of blocking crosses into the box and doesn’t ever like to make crosses himself, again, preferring to turn around a play ball backwards.

Freeman is our version of Cammy Kerr. If we let him go, he’d find his level at Forfar/Brechin.

Let's talk about Freeman again in a year. If he still hasn't kicked on then i agree that we will likely see him at a Forfar or the like.

But i still have a bit of hope he can turn it round. I remember plenty supporters caning players like Barry Douglas and saying the same things as Freeman i.e. coward in possession etc etc. Sometimes it takes certain players a lot longer to toughen up. I believe we have only seen someone like Blair Spittal for instance learn the more physical aspect of the game in the past couple of years.

10/7/2023 11:45 pm  #305

Good to get a couple more players in the door.

Reading a bit about both players and Cardiff fans seem to really rate Ollie Denham and some are even disappointed to see him loaned out as they wanted him to be first team squad this season and pushing for a start.

The opinions i've read about Jack Walton are i'd say mixed. Most Barnsley fans saying he was a solid enough Keeper but started having the odd howler and that his form dipped badly after a Goalie coach departed and he subsequently lost his No.1 spot. There was surprise that Luton signed him (to be their No.3) and he then got injured and has been nowhere near the first team.

A bit of a gamble i fear, but here's hoping the lad can do a job for us. The current bar is exceptionally low.

Think i would have been happier with someone like Vaclav Hladky who knows Scottish football, knows Utd and knows Goodwin.

But we'll see how he goes.

That is a Goalie, 3 defenders and a defensive midfielder we've signed. All perhaps necessary but all a bit underwhelming and no signing really getting the pulses racing thus far.

We now need not one but two Strikers.

One has to be a target man and be big, strong and physical. From middle to front our team is very small in stature and physicality (Glass, Chalmers, Middleton, MacLeod, Cudjoe etc). If a team decides to 'mix it up' and keep the ball in the air then i feel we will struggle badly in those type of games.

The other forward has to be an out and out penalty box Striker. Goals win games, winning games win leagues.

We cannot rely on a 17 year old and/or Tony Watt who's goalscoring record has been poor his whole career bar one 5 month 'purple patch' at Motherwell. 

We badly need options this season.

11/7/2023 9:55 am  #306

Tek wrote:

Good to get a couple more players in the door.

Reading a bit about both players and Cardiff fans seem to really rate Ollie Denham and some are even disappointed to see him loaned out as they wanted him to be first team squad this season and pushing for a start.

The opinions i've read about Jack Walton are i'd say mixed. Most Barnsley fans saying he was a solid enough Keeper but started having the odd howler and that his form dipped badly after a Goalie coach departed and he subsequently lost his No.1 spot. There was surprise that Luton signed him (to be their No.3) and he then got injured and has been nowhere near the first team.

A bit of a gamble i fear, but here's hoping the lad can do a job for us. The current bar is exceptionally low.

Think i would have been happier with someone like Vaclav Hladky who knows Scottish football, knows Utd and knows Goodwin.

But we'll see how he goes.

That is a Goalie, 3 defenders and a defensive midfielder we've signed. All perhaps necessary but all a bit underwhelming and no signing really getting the pulses racing thus far.

We now need not one but two Strikers.

One has to be a target man and be big, strong and physical. From middle to front our team is very small in stature and physicality (Glass, Chalmers, Middleton, MacLeod, Cudjoe etc). If a team decides to 'mix it up' and keep the ball in the air then i feel we will struggle badly in those type of games.

The other forward has to be an out and out penalty box Striker. Goals win games, winning games win leagues.

We cannot rely on a 17 year old and/or Tony Watt who's goalscoring record has been poor his whole career bar one 5 month 'purple patch' at Motherwell. 

We badly need options this season.

And a decent experienced winger, just don’t see it for Immi. He might be good in this league, but then what happens if we go up? A lot of shite are in there last years of contracts, which is good for rebuilding next season.

KTF

11/7/2023 10:26 am  #307

Tin hat on, I’d play niskanen at right back on Saturday, he’s got a attributes to be a decent right back, he’s never a winger in a million years

11/7/2023 10:59 am  #308

SuperMario wrote:

Tin hat on, I’d play niskanen at right back on Saturday, he’s got a attributes to be a decent right back, he’s never a winger in a million years

id say he would be better then Sheep

11/7/2023 12:11 pm  #309

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Arab99 wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Anyone watching last season seriously can't be classing that Aussie as a keeper and the other two are just wee laddies still learning their trade (one of them will go out on loan if not both).

I assume you are an adult. Find it tedious adults are still coming out with this ''can't be a keeper' drivel, he is, he's on a contract, it hasnt gone well, suck it up there is nothing new to be said.

Pretty disrespectful to call the other two "wee laddies" too. Yes they are still learning but both more than capable starting Saturday.

Last edited by Arab99 (11/7/2023 12:16 pm)

11/7/2023 12:19 pm  #310

Arab99 wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Arab99 wrote:

I assume you are an adult. Find it tedious adults are still coming out with this ''can't be a keeper' drivel, he is, he's on a contract, it hasnt gone well, suck it up there is nothing new to be said.

Pretty disrespectful to call the other two "wee laddies" too. Yes they are still learning but both more than capable starting Saturday.

Am I a child too then? I don't think he's a keeper either.

And on the being disrespectful thing, read your first sentence back 👍

In fact read your whole post back.

Last edited by Arabdownsouth (11/7/2023 12:20 pm)

11/7/2023 12:39 pm  #311

Arab99 wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

Arab99 wrote:

It's a football forum where people give there opinions and mines is that he is the worst guy I've ever witnessed play for us between the sticks. Yours may differ and that is what it's all about.

The other two are wee laddies imo both under 21.

Doubt the two young lads will start but hopefully get some game time in the cup.

Ps I'm auld enough to be your das da.

11/7/2023 1:02 pm  #312

dufc2019 wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

id say he would be better then Sheep

That is not a high bar.

11/7/2023 10:13 pm  #313

Re previous " I assume you're an adult "      ...... there's always one.
                                  - - - - - - - - - - - -
Other than the fact that we're consigned to the likes of Cappielow, Gayfield, Somerset Park which no doubt we'll contrive to make heavy weather of I'm in a reasonably comfortable place going into start of season.
No 1 we have a good old school manager in Goodwin. I cannae mind a proper manager going back to pre-Slobber days.
Playing side, refreshingly, we've new blood in and you'd expect more in ample time to get bedded in.
Between McCann, Niskannen, Middleton, Holt, Docherty, Denholm, Grimshaw and standout Oor Wullie we've the core and squad depth of a solid team (certainly for diddy division)
Of the laddies there's potential for  two  mebbe three standouts - Mochrie, Meekison, Glass, ffs do something with yer oil slick Chalmers and Flynn Duffy.
... Ross Graham dunno.
Of the ugly ducklings the much canned Freeman and big question mark Watt I think there's a player - certainly Goodwin seems to think so, I'd be happy just to see Watt not rolling around looking for Oscar's & breaking up play.
Behich it would be a miracle if we keep him, if not you'd think it free up some more cash given we've got rid of a lot of dross already.
The wee Cudjoe, sorry son, bit part at best but good for coming on and running at tired defences in last 20.
To me that leaves striker(s) and another wide man to give us long ball and pace down the flank options.
We need pace, guile , not pissing round at the back and a hard man. ie the ability not to give opposition time to get 10 men behind the ball and when that does happen to be able to be able to break them down.
Oh aye and we need to put the ball in their net, preferably first.
Simple game really.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (11/7/2023 11:07 pm)

12/7/2023 7:31 am  #314

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

To me that leaves striker(s) and another wide man to give us long ball and pace down the flank options.
We need pace, guile , not pissing round at the back and a hard man. ie the ability not to give opposition time to get 10 men behind the ball and when that does happen to be able to be able to break them down.
Simple game really.

This is my concern at the moment.

We've brought in players to shore up the defence and a new keeper who looks like he will do a job. But our attack is yet to be addressed. We badly need pace in the team and another goal threat. Our habit of recent seasons, knocking the ball about our half allowing teams to get back behind the ball in numbers and then taking an age to get up the pitch won't win us the league.

I'm still not convinced Watt is the answer either. He's still living on his reputation of his time at Motherwell. He's not shown enough in his time here for me that he will be our main man  for goals this season.
I'm still bitter that he fucked off to St Mirren in January when we were struggling. He wouldn't be here if St Mirren offered him a contract.

Last edited by Rick Dagless (12/7/2023 7:35 am)

12/7/2023 8:16 am  #315

Rick Dagless wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Simple game really.

I think teams will sit in against us especially when we are at home. Fans will need to be patient and not get on the players back when we havnt scored after 60 mins

We've brought in players to shore up the defence and a new keeper who looks like he will do a job. But our attack is yet to be addressed. We badly need pace in the team and another goal threat. Our habit of recent seasons, knocking the ball about our half allowing teams to get back behind the ball in numbers and then taking an age to get up the pitch won't win us the league.

I'm still not convinced Watt is the answer either. He's still living on his reputation of his time at Motherwell. He's not shown enough in his time here for me that he will be our main man for goals this season.
I'm still bitter that he fucked off to St Mirren in January when we were struggling. He wouldn't be here if St Mirren offered him a contract.

better get used to it. Teams will sit in against us especially when we are at home. Fans need to be patient and not get on the players backs when we hvant scored after 60 mins

Last edited by dufc2019 (12/7/2023 8:18 am)

12/7/2023 8:30 am  #316

dufc2019 wrote:

Rick Dagless wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Simple game really.

I think teams will sit in against us especially when we are at home. Fans will need to be patient and not get on the players back when we havnt scored after 60 mins

I'm still not convinced Watt is the answer either. He's still living on his reputation of his time at Motherwell. He's not shown enough in his time here for me that he will be our main man for goals this season.

better get used to it. Teams will sit in against us especially when we are at home. Fans need to be patient and not get on the players backs when we hvant scored after 60 mins

Better get used to it? We've been used to it for years now because we are unbelievably slow getting the ball up the park.

You're talking like teams sitting in against us is some new concept.

12/7/2023 8:35 am  #317

Rick Dagless wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Simple game really.

I'm still not convinced Watt is the answer either. He's still living on his reputation of his time at Motherwell. He's not shown enough in his time here for me that he will be our main man  for goals this season.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Shakey and Rick are saying.

12/7/2023 8:44 am  #318

Billy_Hainey wrote:

Rick Dagless wrote:

Shakey Isles Arab wrote:

Simple game really.

maybe so, but Watt is on a very hefty wage, if he choses to stay we have to try and make the most of him and the situation. We also have 4 wingers already at the club.

Priority now will be a No.9

I agree wholeheartedly with what Shakey and Rick are saying.

12/7/2023 11:23 am  #319

Seen a post on Twitter DonMac’s presents show with Mulgrew a Friday night, before we play Ayr away. Hope the BBC take us for TV so we can fine the rat for no plausible reason to be unavailable

KTF

12/7/2023 12:10 pm  #320

Goodwin said we are looking for another striker to play the fletcher role.

Let's hope he's a good one

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

12/7/2023 12:13 pm  #321

GFL wrote:

Seen a post on Twitter DonMac’s presents show with Mulgrew a Friday night, before we play Ayr away. Hope the BBC take us for TV so we can fine the rat for no plausible reason to be unavailable

He won't even be in the squad and is now 5th choice centre back. Suspect they'll come to an agreement before the window closes. 

12/7/2023 1:42 pm  #322

Tangy wrote:

Goodwin said we are looking for another striker to play the fletcher role.

Let's hope he's a good one

Will it be another loan deal or a permanent signing?  Bothe have positive and negative implications 

12/7/2023 3:18 pm  #323

Hearing we’ve enquired about Stephen Humphrys from Wigan, the same boy who scored from his own half against The Clown at Tynecastle. Would likely be a loan I’d imagine.

Also heard seperately that we’re looking at Safranko. Would make sense as Goodwin tried to get him at St. Mirren after his loan spell with us. That and he has also stated that he’d love to come back to Tannadice.

12/7/2023 9:00 pm  #324

JerryDungle wrote:

Hearing we’ve enquired about Stephen Humphrys from Wigan, the same boy who scored from his own half against The Clown at Tynecastle. Would likely be a loan I’d imagine.

Also heard seperately that we’re looking at Safranko. Would make sense as Goodwin tried to get him at St. Mirren after his loan spell with us. That and he has also stated that he’d love to come back to Tannadice.

1 of the 2 good, both even better.
Sooner we sell Behich and come to an agreement with Mulgrew the better.
Birighitti can come and polish boots at my local team.

13/7/2023 12:34 pm  #325

Nice little cash boost from the World Cup £187,000.
I wonder if Jim will see any of it?

Board footera