Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06/2/2023 11:52 pm  #26

Re: Hearts vs Utd - Saturday 4th February 2023

CCX2 2010 wrote:

I agree with you but as someone who made those challenges albeit at amateur level, you know that when you do it you will go through the man also.

I would have been of the ones who would have criticised him if he never made it and often tell my young lad if you go in like Halliday done then you will get hurt.

That’s said I doubt they will overturn it and we are wasting our time and money appealing the decision.

I’ve watched and played football for over 40 years and right now I couldn’t confidently tell you what is a red card, offside or what constitutes a penalty. Games a mess.

Laws concerning what is and is not a red card haven't changed significantly in the recent past AFAIK, with the exception of in relation to DOGSO and penalty awards. Agree with the general sentiment that the game is currently a bloody mess though.

Edwards quite reasonably expected Halliday to put in a block tackle from the opposite side. If you go into a block tackle without your ankle being locked solid, you risk a bad sprain or worse. So he went in as he should have done. Halliday then pulls out when Edwards is already initiating the tackle, with the result that it wasn't even a tackle. If Halliday does what Edwards thought he was going to do (and what he should have done if he wasn't as soft as shite), the ball would have been squashed in between their feet and whoever went in with more momentum would "win" the challenge. In order for Edwards to "leave something on" Halliday, he would have to have known that Halliday would pull out and leave his leg a foot to the right of where it would have (and should have) been.

I went in for a 50/50 years ago in a similar situation and the boy did what Halliday did and pulled out at the last second. I won the ball cleanly and my trailing shin hit the shin of the lad's planted foot. His tibia and fibula broke into 7 separate pieces. It was play on - until the ref stopped the play because the boy was screaming. Totally the other lad's fault for pulling out of the challenge and planting his studs. Halliday is a very very lucky lad that some part of Edwards didn't hit that planted leg.

07/2/2023 9:23 am  #27

Canadian Arab wrote:

CCX2 2010 wrote:

I agree with you but as someone who made those challenges albeit at amateur level, you know that when you do it you will go through the man also.

I would have been of the ones who would have criticised him if he never made it and often tell my young lad if you go in like Halliday done then you will get hurt.

That’s said I doubt they will overturn it and we are wasting our time and money appealing the decision.

I’ve watched and played football for over 40 years and right now I couldn’t confidently tell you what is a red card, offside or what constitutes a penalty. Games a mess.

Laws concerning what is and is not a red card haven't changed significantly in the recent past AFAIK, with the exception of in relation to DOGSO and penalty awards. Agree with the general sentiment that the game is currently a bloody mess though.

Edwards quite reasonably expected Halliday to put in a block tackle from the opposite side. If you go into a block tackle without your ankle being locked solid, you risk a bad sprain or worse. So he went in as he should have done. Halliday then pulls out when Edwards is already initiating the tackle, with the result that it wasn't even a tackle. If Halliday does what Edwards thought he was going to do (and what he should have done if he wasn't as soft as shite), the ball would have been squashed in between their feet and whoever went in with more momentum would "win" the challenge. In order for Edwards to "leave something on" Halliday, he would have to have known that Halliday would pull out and leave his leg a foot to the right of where it would have (and should have) been.

I went in for a 50/50 years ago in a similar situation and the boy did what Halliday did and pulled out at the last second. I won the ball cleanly and my trailing shin hit the shin of the lad's planted foot. His tibia and fibula broke into 7 separate pieces. It was play on - until the ref stopped the play because the boy was screaming. Totally the other lad's fault for pulling out of the challenge and planting his studs. Halliday is a very very lucky lad that some part of Edwards didn't hit that planted leg.

Firstly I would say that I am with you in thinking that it wasn't a red on Saturday.  The issue is that VAR are looking at things in slow motion and if you do that then it looks like Edwards has followed through with his studs.  In reality you are right that Halliday has quit the challenge and therefore what is a good tackle and a defensive, 'I'm not getting hurt' approach looks like a kick and intentional follow through.  But it isn't.

That said, given the professionalism in the game I have some sympathy with an approach that is trying to prevent professional players getting their legs broken in 7 pieces.  If nothing else, their insurance policies will be demanding it.

It does change the game, but maybe it isn't wrong to ask players to temper their challenges?  I say that not really agreeing with it, but maybe we've just got to get used to it, as will the players?

Last edited by Finn Seemann (07/2/2023 9:24 am)

07/2/2023 11:23 am  #28

A lot of the decision making seems to be about intent and if he was out of control, and it doesn't look like that for me.

I hope we are using the example of the Hearts players tackle late in the game where he was off his feet,  lunging and was totally out of control yet is wasnt even looked at by VAR and was a far worse challenge in my opinion.

The most frustrating thing about VAR is it still has not brought consistency into the game as there seem to be some very unusual decisions after 5 minutes of analysis that are then reversed at a later date 

08/2/2023 12:25 pm  #29

Appeal lost.

08/2/2023 12:28 pm  #30

"You can't fly into a tackle even if you win the ball if you know you'll wipe out the opponent in doing so!"

That's a lot of the talk surrounding the challenge.

Clearly plays the ball, and physics dictate there will be a collision it can't be avoided.

Whereas if you're Craig Gordon you can close your eyes, jump into / towards the man, accidentally get a knick on the ball as you make a 'you might win the ball, but you're not getting past me' challenge.

And it's a foul on you.

The biggest problems with VAR appear to be

They're not treating all clubs the same
They appear to treat almost exactly the same or worse tackles/decisions differently

"Don't F*cking ever offer me that again!"

08/2/2023 12:42 pm  #31

David_Blunkett wrote:

"You can't fly into a tackle even if you win the ball if you know you'll wipe out the opponent in doing so!"

Clearly plays the ball, and physics dictate there will be a collision it can't be avoided.

Whereas if you're Craig Gordon you can close your eyes, jump into / towards the man, accidentally get a knick on the ball as you make a 'you might win the ball, but you're not getting past me' challenge.

And it's a foul on you.

They appear to treat almost exactly the same or worse tackles/decisions differently

Spot-on.

There are massive inconsistencies every week. 

08/2/2023 1:37 pm  #32

Thing is, there's no fucking way he flew into a tackle at all. The Scottish game is an absolute joke I'm afraid.

08/2/2023 6:19 pm  #33

David_Blunkett wrote:

And it's a foul on you.

Aye, inconsistency as usual.

The LoTG talk about use of excessive force and also endangering an opponent. Nothing about flying into tackles if you know you'll wipe out the opponent. These refs and "expert panels" have to make decisions based on the LoTG, not on their opinions discussed over a pint. Edwards sprinted to get there and arrived at the same time as the opponent. The speed and therefore the momentum were necessary and appropriate to arrive in time to make a legitimate challenge. If he slows down, he's late. And he didn't "wipe out" anybody. The only contact was his boot scuffing the side of Halliday's ankle, which was planted right next to where the ball was, immediately after Edwards' boot played the ball. No legitimate argument can be made that the manner in which Edwards went into that challenge endangered the opponent. The boy got a dirty scuff on his ankle. No broken skin, no treatment required, wasn't hobbling and was back into the game right away (after pointing at the scuff marks on his ankle multiple times).

If I was United I'd send the video of the challenge to UEFA. If that's going to be applied consistently as a red (which it's not), most games would be abandoned by half time, by which time one or both teams would have fewer than the required 7 men on the park.

08/2/2023 8:06 pm  #34

Canadian Arab wrote:

David_Blunkett wrote:

And it's a foul on you.

Aye, inconsistency as usual.

The LoTG talk about use of excessive force and also endangering an opponent. Nothing about flying into tackles if you know you'll wipe out the opponent. These refs and "expert panels" have to make decisions based on the LoTG, not on their opinions discussed over a pint. Edwards sprinted to get there and arrived at the same time as the opponent. The speed and therefore the momentum were necessary and appropriate to arrive in time to make a legitimate challenge. If he slows down, he's late. And he didn't "wipe out" anybody. The only contact was his boot scuffing the side of Halliday's ankle, which was planted right next to where the ball was, immediately after Edwards' boot played the ball. No legitimate argument can be made that the manner in which Edwards went into that challenge endangered the opponent. The boy got a dirty scuff on his ankle. No broken skin, no treatment required, wasn't hobbling and was back into the game right away (after pointing at the scuff marks on his ankle multiple times).

If I was United I'd send the video of the challenge to UEFA. If that's going to be applied consistently as a red (which it's not), most games would be abandoned by half time, by which time one or both teams would have fewer than the required 7 men on the park.

Ah - explains your attempt to start with12 on Saturday!  

Board footera