Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26/10/2022 8:30 am  #1

Utd vs Motherwell - Saturday 29th October

Huge, must win game.

What team would you select for Saturday?

26/10/2022 8:46 am  #2

Re: Utd vs Motherwell - Saturday 29th October

It's far from a must-win, when we call every game against anyone outwith the Old Firm a "must-win" it loses potency. There are many, many points to play for, and I expect we'll be at least ten points above the relegation zone at the end of the season.

I would go with the same XI as last week. Had a bit more physical presence than previous games, with Fletch coming off the bench on the hour mark.

I expect a win, we are in amazing form at home over the last two games.

26/10/2022 8:52 am  #3

AlwaysUnited wrote:

It's far from a must-win, when we call every game against anyone outwith the Old Firm a "must-win" it loses potency. There are many, many points to play for, and I expect we'll be at least ten points above the relegation zone at the end of the season.

I would go with the same XI as last week. Had a bit more physical presence than previous games, with Fletch coming off the bench on the hour mark.

You just never stop do you? Honest to fuck

26/10/2022 8:57 am  #4

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Amazing home form.

'Over two games'.😂

26/10/2022 9:00 am  #5

Tek wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Amazing home form.

'Over two games'.😂

Got to be on the glue 🤤🥴

26/10/2022 9:29 am  #6

Of course its a must win game.

9 points from  12 games is relegation form, and after this game its celtic away. We haven't won there since Jim McLean was manager, and last time we played they pit 9 (nine) past us, so I am not confident of a victory.

We need a win asafp

26/10/2022 11:49 am  #7

He's either 12 years old or he's not a United fan and on the wind-up.

26/10/2022 1:34 pm  #8

Birighitti
Freeman Edwards Graham mcmann
Levitt sibbald
Middleton watt behich
Fletcher

26/10/2022 1:56 pm  #9

kiwiarab wrote:

9 points from  12 games is relegation form, and after this game its celtic away. We haven't won there since Jim McLean was manager, and last time we played they pit 9 (nine) past us, so I am not confident of a victory.

We need a win asafp

If its "must-win", and we only draw, what are the consequences? Probably not a lot, it'll depend on other results, but either way there will still be 78 points left to play for on Saturday night, and over two thirds of the season still to play. Its maybe time to calm the rhetoric somewhat, instead of putting pressure on the players by calling every game a "must win".

That's the only point I'm making.

Last edited by AlwaysUnited (26/10/2022 1:58 pm)

26/10/2022 2:35 pm  #10

AlwaysUnited wrote:

kiwiarab wrote:

9 points from 12 games is relegation form, and after this game its celtic away. We haven't won there since Jim McLean was manager, and last time we played they pit 9 (nine) past us, so I am not confident of a victory.

We need a win asafp

If its "must-win", and we only draw, what are the consequences? Probably not a lot, it'll depend on other results, but either way there will still be 78 points left to play for on Saturday night, and over two thirds of the season still to play. Its maybe time to calm the rhetoric somewhat, instead of putting pressure on the players by calling every game a "must win".

That's fine then.  If the players can guarantee that they'll win enough games to keep us up then I'm OK if they lose on Saturday too.  Tool.

26/10/2022 3:26 pm  #11

Finn Seemann wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

kiwiarab wrote:

9 points from 12 games is relegation form, and after this game its celtic away. We haven't won there since Jim McLean was manager, and last time we played they pit 9 (nine) past us, so I am not confident of a victory.

We need a win asafp

That's fine then.  If the players can guarantee that they'll win enough games to keep us up then I'm OK if they lose on Saturday too.  Tool.

Obviously I didn't say that, friend. These are your words and not mine.

I'm merely saying that as much as I would like United to win on Saturday, they don't have to win to avert some catastrophic outcome associated with the word "must".

I won't revert to insults, let's try and take the heat out of the discussion if possible.

26/10/2022 4:06 pm  #12

Mathematically it’s not a must-win game.
Psychologically, it most definitely is, for everyone concerned.
I don’t want us to be heading into an extended World Cup break on the back end of a string of poor performances and defeats. A win won’t fix everything but players and fans will head into the break in a better frame of mind, guaranteed we won’t be bottom, and likely will come out of the break with their sleeves rolled up, instead of their heads being down.

26/10/2022 5:29 pm  #13

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

I'm merely saying that as much as I would like United to win on Saturday, they don't have to win to avert some catastrophic outcome associated with the word "must".

I won't revert to insults, let's try and take the heat out of the discussion if possible.

I disagree.  Knowing that the likelihood of us winning all, or indeed many, of  those 78 points is low based on current form and form of those around us, I would say a home game against a team that we need to benchmark ourselves against, if we expect to stay in this division, is a 'must' win. Granted, technically it will still be possible for us to survive, especially if another team such as County don't pick up form, but for this to be in our hands, we need to be beating teams like Motherwell at home.

What worries me is  that even you have stopped saying that we will win these sorts of games.  Clearly you don't really believe either.  The definition of tool in the urban dictionary is "One who lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used."  Tony clearly works you from behind so I think the comment was more veritas than insult, but if you are offended I'm happy to withdraw the comment...

I think you may have also meant resort rather than revert (unless of course you used to throw about insults when you were another poster).

Last edited by Finn Seemann (26/10/2022 5:31 pm)

26/10/2022 5:43 pm  #14

SuperMario wrote:

Birighitti
Levitt sibbald
Middleton watt behich
Fletcher

I'd play that as well.

Too much commotion

26/10/2022 6:35 pm  #15

I don't think it's must win either but I would say its must not lose.

We are loupin at present absolutely honking.

We won't win on Saturday but hopefully we've got enough for a point, we can't fall 7 points behind Motherwell at this point.

It's that bad with this lot and I blame the management for every last single bit of it.

Its that bad that even our very own village idiot thinks we might just finish 10 points above 12 place, it's that bad! Look at the cash spent on the squad and our most optimistic fan by some fuckin distance think they will fish 10 points above 12th, that says it all.

My hope is that we can hang in there and snatch a draw hopefully with the chairman present it might just be enough for him to realise the shit we are in.

Fox needs to go for me he should have never been anywhere near the assistant gig never mind the first team coach. The players are good enough but wither you can make them a team remains to be seen, after the last two away games I'm scunnered with them.

26/10/2022 7:31 pm  #16

lifesanocean wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

Birighitti
Levitt sibbald
Middleton watt behich
Fletcher

I'd play that as well. But I'd simplify it further and have a straightforward 4-4-2 with Watt and Fletcher playing up front together as a pair.

Too much commotion

26/10/2022 7:31 pm  #17

FFS

Too much commotion

26/10/2022 11:23 pm  #18

My team would be -

..........................Birighitti.........................
Smith.........Edwards..Graham...Freeman
Middleton...McGrath...Levitt....Sibbald
....................Fletcher...Watt.........

Simple, 4-4-2, round pegs in round holes, everyone knowing their job. The same XI that beat AZ Alkmaar at home (apart from Graham in for injured Mulgrew, and McGrath in for Harkes).

Subs - Eriksson, Behich, Pawlett, Anaku, Meekison
Niskanen, Harkes, Cudjoe, Djoum

27/10/2022 2:31 am  #19

I’d like to see Behich in there but definitely with less defensive responsibilities. Maybe move Sibbald more central with Freeman and Behich on the left with Watt through the middle—Fletcher an impact sub maybe. 

It's not where you're from it's where you're at.

27/10/2022 7:09 am  #20

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

With our fantastic record v Motherwell at home, I fail to see how you say on the 1 hand we will finish 10 pts above relegation but little consequence if we only draw.
To do this we must win on Saturday because hopefully before posting you remembered to look at our away record over the last 2 seasons.
From Oct onwards we won 2 games.
This season so far we havent won any away and our next one is at Celtic in Nov.
Please note that I accept there's nothing wrong with being ultra positive but you're prediction of 10 pts is insulting to those of us who attended and saw some dismal performances.
1 question, where are we getting all these points?

Last edited by Danzaa (27/10/2022 7:10 am)

27/10/2022 7:58 am  #21

Tek wrote:

My team would be -

..........................Birighitti.........................
Smith.........Edwards..Graham...Freeman
Middleton...McGrath...Levitt....Sibbald
....................Fletcher...Watt.........

Simple, 4-4-2, round pegs in round holes, everyone knowing their job. The same XI that beat AZ Alkmaar at home (apart from Graham in for injured Mulgrew, and McGrath in for Harkes).

Subs - Eriksson, Behich, Pawlett, Anaku, Meekison
Niskanen, Harkes, Cudjoe, Djoum

Agree with most of that TEK.
But you say round pegs in round holes then put Freeman at left back before Mcmann.
Freeman is weak defensively and is targeted in the air by the opposition.
Apart from that that's probably as good as we have.

27/10/2022 12:37 pm  #22

Danzaa wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

With our fantastic record v Motherwell at home, I fail to see how you say on the 1 hand we will finish 10 pts above relegation but little consequence if we only draw.
To do this we must win on Saturday because hopefully before posting you remembered to look at our away record over the last 2 seasons.
Please note that I accept there's nothing wrong with being ultra positive but you're prediction of 10 pts is insulting to those of us who attended and saw some dismal performances.

I disagree with your assertion that to finish 10 points clear, we "must" win on Saturday. If we draw 0-0 and the teams around us all lose heavily, then it has been a positive day.

My confidence is based on the following :

1) Transfer window - The Ogrens have heavily backed the manager, and I am certain they will again in January. We have the added bonus that, due to the World Cup, there will be more games after the window opens than usual, so the new signings will have longer to make an impact.

2) Recent performances - the showings against Aberdeen and Hibs at home were superb, not the sort of performance to be expected from a team likely to be relegated. We need lots more of these performances.

3) Liam Fox. Great manager and even better person. Once he is truly settled in, we'll win more than we lose under him.

So I fully expect us to beat Motherwell, but a draw wouldn't be a disaster.

27/10/2022 1:55 pm  #23

As always I hope I get some leeway for stating the obvious.

We should be trying to win every game. But for the majority oe this Season we ain't been trying near hard enough. The results and the performances on the park show that.

So we need to try harder to win the remaining games because if we don't, each game we don't win makes it harder to make up places in the League. Let's be honest we ain't gonna win the League, but ATM we canna even keep up we St Mirren.

So on that note, this match, and every match is a must win.

27/10/2022 3:09 pm  #24

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Danzaa wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

I disagree with your assertion that to finish 10 points clear, we "must" win on Saturday. If we draw 0-0 and the teams around us all lose heavily, then it has been a positive day.

1) Transfer window - The Ogrens have heavily backed the manager, and I am certain they will again in January. We have the added bonus that, due to the World Cup, there will be more games after the window opens than usual, so the new signings will have longer to make an impact.

2) Recent performances - the showings against Aberdeen and Hibs at home were superb, not the sort of performance to be expected from a team likely to be relegated. We need lots more of these performances.

3) Liam Fox. Great manager and even better person. Once he is truly settled in, we'll win more than we lose under him.

Ok please answer one more,
FYI I have the 🍿 out in anticipation of what I'm sure will be a belter of an answer

Explain how ALL the teams around us can lose heavily when the bottom 6 are all playing each other?

27/10/2022 3:18 pm  #25

Danzaa wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Danzaa wrote:

Ok please answer one more,
FYI I have the 🍿 out in anticipation of what I'm sure will be a belter of an answer

Explain how ALL the teams around us can lose heavily when the bottom 6 are all playing each other?

I didn't say "all the teams around us", I said "if the teams around us all lose heavily"

The teams around us are Kilmarnock and Ross County. They aren't playing each other, so if they all lose heavily and we draw, it's been a cracking day.

Your question was rather pedantic, if you don't mind me saying so.

Board footera