Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23/6/2022 9:08 pm  #101

Re: New Manager Thread

AlwaysUnited wrote:

You have clearly forgotten about the extremely unpleasant episode surrounding the transfer of Barry Douglas from Queens Park to United in 2010 where the club exploited a loophole to avoid paying compensation.

It happens. If Hearts "forgot" to offer a £400,000 player a legally binding contract and United had the chance to sign them for free, do you really think they would pay the £400k in order to remain within the spirit of the law?

The answer, sir, is no they would not.

Is that the "loophole" that Queens Park players are amateurs, so the club don't "own" them to sell in the first place? The same "loophole" that Queens Park use to avoid actually paying their players? Come on!

We subsequently obtained Andy Robertson from them - who we also could have obtained for zero because he was also an amateur, but a sell-on clause was included (with the approval of AR himself) so Queens park would get a payout if he moved from us. They did pretty well out of that, even though we didn't need to give them anything. Pretty sure we also got someone else from them around that time and gave them cash in hand - even though, again, we were not required to and we didn't need to.

Despite dealings with QP being a bad example, you don't pay up simply "to remain within the spirit of the law". You pay up because it's the right thing to do, and if you don't, everyone will know, and nobody is going to trust you or want to have any future business dealings with you.

21/8/2022 8:12 am  #102

Bump cos we may end up discussing soon..I hope .

Big Dunc for me, he would sort this heartless bunch

21/8/2022 8:51 am  #103

I've seen a few folk mention Dunc, I honestly think he would be a disaster too.  He's not been in Scotland for 30 years and has been living in EPL mega-bucks land all this time, I think he'd be shocked at what budgets/facilities etc he'd have to work with.  Not to mention that he's only been a manager for 5 or 6 games.

21/8/2022 9:19 am  #104

I really hope that the fans don't force Jack Ross out. Yes he's had a poor start, he'd be the first to admit it, but we're only a handful of games in.

Constantly changing managers does the club no good whatsoever. I'd like the board to come out and say Jack will be staying, and if any player does not wish to play for him then the club will listen to offers.

22/8/2022 9:33 am  #105

Ross has looked totally inept.  If he loses his job he has nobody to blame but his self.  

We desperately need to rinse Asghar and hope that he has not damaged us beyond repair (which is genuinely my fear).  

Desperate stuff.

22/8/2022 10:50 am  #106

Probably crap, but anybody else seeing the rumours of Ross walking today?

22/8/2022 11:14 am  #107

Finn Seemann wrote:

Ross has looked totally inept.  If he loses his job he has nobody to blame but his self.  

We desperately need to rinse Asghar and hope that he has not damaged us beyond repair (which is genuinely my fear).  

Desperate stuff.

Asghar goes and the Ogrens go too, that what you want?

22/8/2022 11:30 am  #108

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Desperate stuff.

I don't think that is going to be the case.

22/8/2022 11:39 am  #109

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Desperate stuff.

Based on what though?

22/8/2022 12:10 pm  #110

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Based on what though?

What’s yours based on?

22/8/2022 12:22 pm  #111

MockChop wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Based on what though?

What’s yours based on?

The fact that Asghar is their chosen man to run the club and their ownership of United was based on him running it in their absence.

22/8/2022 12:36 pm  #112

Indeed Mock, but let's humour him...

1.  Something I heard that points to him not being the permanent fixture everyone thinks he is;
2.  Optimism; 
3.  My belief in human nature (or rather, at some point, someone who appears to have had a successful business career, has to see through the charlatan); and 
4.  His luck has run out.

As others have stated when you look at the cash he has burned and then compare that to cash spent at other clubs in the league you have to begin wondering if the problem is not sitting at the door of the boy with the cheque book.  

When Ross came in I had hoped that he had set out his stall contractually.  I had some initial confidence when Ross appeared to have Courts wish list ripped up, but it appears that in agreeing that the deal is that Ross got some of his targets (Middleton and McGrath?) but he had to thole some of Tony's gambles (Sibbald, the Aussie boys and the Ugandans - i.e. the boys that Tony thinks a few bucks can be made on).

Obviously speculation, but in the meantime, we then suddenly realise that we are again light or non-existent in certain key positions.  OK if we have an OK start to the season.  Totally not OK if we have the start we have had.

In the meantime the glorious Academy seems to have been put on the backburner.  

Can you imagine how Asghar sells this to Ogren?  Surely at some point Ogren watches a couple of episodes of the Apprentice and thinks it's maybe the pastel coloured elephant in the corner that is the problem.

22/8/2022 12:37 pm  #113

I hope that was a few typos and you actually meant..
The fact that Asghar was their chosen man to run the club and are now back in town because he is ruining it in their absence

22/8/2022 12:50 pm  #114

Danzaa wrote:

The fact that Asghar was their chosen man to run the club and are now back in town because he is ruining it in their absence

So we've had a bad couple of weeks but the fact that prior to that we had year on year progression has escaped you? Whatever mate, everyone to their own opinion I guess.

22/8/2022 12:54 pm  #115

Finn Seemann wrote:

1.  Something I heard that points to him not being the permanent fixture everyone thinks he is;
2.  Optimism; 
3.  My belief in human nature (or rather, at some point, someone who appears to have had a successful business career, has to see through the charlatan); and 

As others have stated when you look at the cash he has burned and then compare that to cash spent at other clubs in the league you have to begin wondering if the problem is not sitting at the door of the boy with the cheque book.  

When Ross came in I had hoped that he had set out his stall contractually.  I had some initial confidence when Ross appeared to have Courts wish list ripped up, but it appears that in agreeing that the deal is that Ross got some of his targets (Middleton and McGrath?) but he had to thole some of Tony's gambles (Sibbald, the Aussie boys and the Ugandans - i.e. the boys that Tony thinks a few bucks can be made on).

Obviously speculation, but in the meantime, we then suddenly realise that we are again light or non-existent in certain key positions.  OK if we have an OK start to the season.  Totally not OK if we have the start we have had.

Can you imagine how Asghar sells this to Ogren?  Surely at some point Ogren watches a couple of episodes of the Apprentice and thinks it's maybe the pastel coloured elephant in the corner that is the problem.

I don't need humouring thanks, I asked you a question is all. Sick of hearing the same agenda getting pushed though. Goalie flaps at a cross and it's Tony's fault, striker fluffs a chance and it's Tony's fault, the bacon rolls don't turn up on time etc etc.

22/8/2022 1:03 pm  #116

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

2.  Optimism; 

I don't need humouring thanks, I asked you a question is all. Sick of hearing the same agenda getting pushed though. Goalie flaps at a cross and it's Tony's fault, striker fluffs a chance and it's Tony's fault, the bacon rolls don't turn up on time etc etc.

I've answered the question.  If Tony has bought the goalies (which appears to be the case) then that is his fault.  Tony seems to have bought both Watt and Fletcher, neither are scoring goals.  Tony has most definitely brought in Ross and that seems not to be working with the players at his disposal.  Tony pictured with the new Ugandan striker after about 2 months of trials - boy's probably thinking (as I am) "Where's the gaffer?".   Tony's job should be to ensure that we have a functioning team on the park aided by the knowledge and advice of a competent manager - that doesn't appear to be happening despite him continuing to change the personnel every season.  There is a common denominator.

...and we both know what happened to the bacon rolls...

22/8/2022 1:19 pm  #117

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Danzaa wrote:

So we've had a bad couple of weeks but the fact that prior to that we had year on year progression has escaped you? Whatever mate, everyone to their own opinion I guess.

We have had progress.  However, with the budget at disposal we should have been promoted a year earlier and our 4th place last year was somewhat of a fluke whilst playing some of the worst football on display at Tannadice, since well the year before, bar a couple of games.  With that budget I think where we are is short of where we should be.

It is also true that this has been a couple of bad weeks and that we had one very good performance in there.  I also think we've probably got, bar a couple of key omissions, a squad that should be in the top 6 come the end of the season.  However it is the omissions that are the constant.  When was the last time we had anything like a complete XI?   Who thought it would be good to go into this campaign with a glaring hole in front of the middle of our defence?  Who is actually building our team?

To be honest, I thought we might see a reaction after Tynecastle where we lost to a pretty average Hearts side.  We actually played some decent stuff there although were pretty toothless - we were actually the better team in the first half if you ignore the starty we gave them.  However, capitulating to the Buddies with very little in the way of a threat in front of their goal has totally given me the fear.  We will lose to Celtic and I don't see us getting anything at Fir Park or Almondvale.  Is that OK?  No.

22/8/2022 1:23 pm  #118

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Danzaa wrote:

We have had progress.  However, with the budget at disposal we should have been promoted a year earlier and our 4th place last year was somewhat of a fluke whilst playing some of the worst football on display at Tannadice, since well the year before, bar a couple of games.  With that budget I think where we are is short of where we should be.

It is also true that this has been a couple of bad weeks and that we had one very good performance in there.  I also think we've probably got, bar a couple of key omissions, a squad that should be in the top 6 come the end of the season.  However it is the omissions that are the constant.  When was the last time we had anything like a complete XI?   Who thought it would be good to go into this campaign with a glaring hole in front of the middle of our defence?  Who is actually building our team?

To be honest, I thought we might see a reaction after Tynecastle where we lost to a pretty average Hearts side.  We actually played some decent stuff there although were pretty toothless - we were actually the better team in the first half if you ignore the starty we gave them.  However, capitulating to the Buddies with very little in the way of a threat in front of their goal has totally given me the fear.  We will lose to Celtic and I don't see us getting anything at Fir Park or Almondvale.  Is that OK?  No.

You don't need my approval mate 👍

22/8/2022 1:27 pm  #119

You might well be right about the bacon rolls however 😂

22/8/2022 2:35 pm  #120

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Danzaa wrote:

Hacked off like most mate, and my opinion is exactly as stated on the last post in the Asghar interview thread, we came up and stayed up and we then finished in a false position. To all Arabs who have watched during that period, I would say any credits he got for those end of League season lucky achievements have been more than wiped out by the actual product and performance on the pitch which on the whole has been dismal.
Up to now this was tolerated but in no way have we progressed on the pitch.
Shameful given the numbers turning out

22/8/2022 2:50 pm  #121

Danzaa wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Danzaa wrote:

Hacked off like most mate, and my opinion is exactly as stated on the last post in the Asghar interview thread, we came up and stayed up and we then finished in a false position. To all Arabs who have watched during that period, I would say any credits he got for those end of League season lucky achievements have been more than wiped out by the actual product and performance on the pitch which on the whole has been dismal.
Up to now this was tolerated but in no way have we progressed on the pitch.
Shameful given the numbers turning out

We've progressed from the championship to competing (with admittedly mixed fortunes) in Europe. That's on the pitch progression in my book despite the horrendous last couple of weeks.

22/8/2022 3:50 pm  #122

Somethings happened in that changing room no doubt because the 7-0 AZ, Hearts 4-1 and St Mirren 3-0 were utter shameful. The players look like they’ve downed tools after a few games.

22/8/2022 4:44 pm  #123

The manager is imposing a formation on the squad that we are really struggling with. Would not be surprised if he changed it on Sunday. We go 4 at the back we get slaughtered

22/8/2022 5:25 pm  #124

SlatefordArab wrote:

Probably crap, but anybody else seeing the rumours of Ross walking today?

I have not but I'm located in the arse end of beyond.

If this was to happen (and I'd be surprised if it did), I don't believe for one second it's because Jack Ross doesn't believe he can get more out of these players. That would be career suicide - labelled as a quitter as soon as the going gets tough. He would struggle to get another job at a decent club for a long time.

If he does walk, IMO it's because he does not believe he can work under the current constraints - whatever those are. And if that happens, it will be United who will struggle to appoint another decent manager for a long time. Neilson then Mellon then Courts then Ross - not a good look.

I hope the club sorts out whatever the issue is asap, to JR's satisfaction.

22/8/2022 5:28 pm  #125

That particular rumour has been rubbished by Scott Burns.

Board footera