Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25/5/2022 6:00 pm  #1

Asghar interview

What's our thoughts on it?

Listened to it on the way home from work. I thought it was pretty honest. I felt more confident for next season.

I think they have addressed most of stuff going round in the support?

On a footballing point of view, he has recognised that we generally don't enjoy the football and says there's a plan to increase it.  I guess as they slowly increase quality, it will give us more scope to improve our style of play.

On the personal stuff, it seems like it gets to him. It doesn't sit well with me that his wife doesn't feel like she wants to attend Tannadice because of the abuse.

It's one thing to disagree with how he does his job but that's too much.

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

25/5/2022 6:35 pm  #2

Re: Asghar interview

The personal abuse is completely unacceptable. Some people need to have a look at themselves.

25/5/2022 7:10 pm  #3

No place for personal abuse, but I just don't like the guy and would prefer he moved on.

25/5/2022 8:29 pm  #4

As I've said many times, whether you like the guy or not, the club has been on an upwards trajectory since he came in. Obviously largely down to Ogren's money but Tony has overseen the improvements in our fortunes whether folk like it or not. The years in the championship were fucking painful and yet folk are still complaining about quality of football despite us being back in Europe next season. We had some fucking woeful players on our books before the new regime came in, and I mean fucking horrendously bad. I've got no issues with Tony whatsoever and he's admitted that he's made mistakes, which of us hasn't?

Although if AlwaysUnited does actually turn out to be Tony Asghar I'd definitely have issue with him posting on a fans message board.

Edit to say, Finn this wasn't a direct response to yourself mate just a general viewpoint.

Last edited by Arabdownsouth (25/5/2022 8:31 pm)

25/5/2022 9:04 pm  #5

Arabdownsouth wrote:

As I've said many times, whether you like the guy or not, the club has been on an upwards trajectory since he came in. Obviously largely down to Ogren's money but Tony has overseen the improvements in our fortunes whether folk like it or not. The years in the championship were fucking painful and yet folk are still complaining about quality of football despite us being back in Europe next season. We had some fucking woeful players on our books before the new regime came in, and I mean fucking horrendously bad. I've got no issues with Tony whatsoever and he's admitted that he's made mistakes, which of us hasn't?

Although if AlwaysUnited does actually turn out to be Tony Asghar I'd definitely have issue with him posting on a fans message board.

Edit to say, Finn this wasn't a direct response to yourself mate just a general viewpoint.

like him or loathe him, no denying he's done a good job

26/5/2022 12:04 am  #6

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Fair enough - my views have been well aired on this topic.  To be fair my concerns are more on the financial and commercial side than the footballing side (although they are obviously a bit hand and glove).  As a fan I am delighted with results (albeit not so re performances) but fear that our debt is way out of hand and big Tones has to take some of the blame there.  I can't help but feel that the vision he sold Ogren will never come to pass and that he'll ditch us at some point - that is down to Tony.  On the other hand you might argue that we needed a snake oil salesman to secure the investment, any investment.  Basically i don't like the cut of his jib - as they say...  

Last edited by Finn Seemann (26/5/2022 12:06 am)

26/5/2022 12:07 am  #7

dufc2019 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

like him or loathe him, no denying he's done a good job

See above...

26/5/2022 1:03 am  #8

Just watched it. An unbelievably thin skinned individual.

Not once in a 45 minute interview does he praise or even mention the unbelievable crowds Utd have taken away from home this season or acknowledge the fantastic home backing the supporters have given the players (sometimes whilst watching very frustratingly negative football).

He does however constantly reference a 'small section of supporters' who he definitely seems to have a beef with (myself probably being one).

The man seemingly has a massive chip on his shoulder and like Finn, i just can't take to him.

He seems to make a lot regarding the club about him and takes a lot of things very personally indeed. A man in his position would do well to try and be magnanimous, once in a while.

For example if he had said something like 'There was a lot of criticism of the appointments of both Tam Courts and Adam Asghar when they were announced, and whilst i can understand why, due to their inexperience at this level of football, i hope they have slowly won the fans round and will continue doing so moving forward'.

I would have no problem with such comments.

But everything smacks of 'You're arseholes and i told you so', which for a man in his position of power and privilege at the club is not a good look. In fact it strikes me as 'small time'. 

We have definitely progressed in the 3 and a bit seasons Asghar has been the Sporting Director, but we are North of 10 million pounds in debt to the owner of the club. So, the progress given that financial outlay is to be expected to be quite honest with you.

Despite my misgivings about the man, i wish him to succeed, because that will mean the club succeeds.

The one bit of his interview i actually liked was him confessing we need to be 'robust' in our recruitment drive this Summer. We certainly do.

Over to you Tony.

26/5/2022 3:44 am  #9

8 out of 10.

I'm a believer in taking people at face value.

I thought his answers were fair, satisfying and honest answers to a good range of questions we've been asking all season. Failure to ask and address questions earlier has rightfully put him in the gun all year.
If you're no keen on some of hees answers, well what's he supposed to say.

- Ahm no a great fan o' a' the modern shite but that's the way it is.
- Ah would like tae see mair come ae the much vaunted Fulham thing.
- I want him to make signings which need to be made to address our shortcomings.

Success in the broader picture of going from diddy division to Europe, done 10/10
We' want to enjoy European football - correct, done, 10/10.
We want entertaining football - correct.
We want good Cup runs - correct to some extent .
BUT 
I'd like him to aim higher still.
- I want to see us win Cups. (Fermers can do it ffs)
- I do not want us to been satisfied with top six. Top three for me. If you aim for top six in Scottish Prem as we've seen, you run the risk of going from 4th to 9th in the space of a weekend. We should go into every game looking for a win but failing to win against the likes Livi, M'well, Killie, Saintees - unacceptable.
- And most of all I'd have liked to hear him say that real success in Scotland hinges on belief that we can challenge the uglies, even if we need the shite of a sports psyhcologist to get them over the hurdle of a sense of awe, conscious or otherwise.

- Dream on me but that would have given him 10/10.

Bottom line, I don't give a rats arse about the man, his delivery etc etc - all I care about is success.

Personal stuff - not on.

Last edited by Shakey Isles Arab (26/5/2022 3:46 am)

26/5/2022 8:51 am  #10

were the 6th biggest club in Scotland, financially some way behind Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen every time we finish above 6th its a bonus

26/5/2022 9:00 am  #11

Got no issues with his interview. Plenty have a bee in their bonnet about the man and it seems as if those opinions wont change no matter what happens on or off the park. Not liking the cut of someones jib is a gut feeling and those are hard to shake, so it is understandable.

I'm not sure I have a set opinion on him. Everyone can agree/accept that in the grand scheme of things he's done a good job for Utd since he joined, my fear is that as soon as it starts to go badly (I mean really badly, like if our losing run around Xmas had continued into Feb/March) then the pitchforks will be out for the guy, and he doesnt seem like the type that will be able to handle it well.

Bottom line is, he'll not be here forever. If he is still here in 5 years I'd be surprised. That is not to say he'll get punted, he might just decide to leave or move onto something different. As long as the club continues to slowly progress whilst he is here, I wont be giving too many complaints.

Short term, all I care about is that he does his job over the summer and gets the players into the squad that we need. I think we can all agree that we'd need at least 5 or 6 players to come in that 100% improve on what we have now and almost end up being guaranteed starters next season. Thats a very difficult task but he did it in the 2019 winter window with Harkes, Butcher, Pawlett, Connolly, Reynolds. All became starters for the rest of that season and beyond. Granted he made 11 signings so had a better chance of filling 4 or 5 starting slots, but you get my point.

26/5/2022 9:09 am  #12

From where we were to where we are now is night and day, but some people just cant get over him im afraid

26/5/2022 11:56 am  #13

He's doing a decent job at United but he's a very unlikable character, so far up his own arse it's unbelievable. 
Regardless of what this man says he has no time whatsoever for the supporters or their concerns, it's all about him and him alone.

26/5/2022 12:17 pm  #14

He’s clearly a prick.
But, if he’s a prick that’s good at his job and getting results on & off the park, I’m ok with it.

Acknowledging the phenomenal support that the fans have provided this season would go a long way. And that’s what he doesn’t do.

Ego.

26/5/2022 12:18 pm  #15

Shedtastic wrote:

He's doing a decent job at United but he's a very unlikable character, so far up his own arse it's unbelievable. 
Regardless of what this man says he has no time whatsoever for the supporters or their concerns, it's all about him and him alone.

I dont think thats the case

26/5/2022 6:27 pm  #16

LarsErikKjell wrote:

Got no issues with his interview. Plenty have a bee in their bonnet about the man and it seems as if those opinions wont change no matter what happens on or off the park. Not liking the cut of someones jib is a gut feeling and those are hard to shake, so it is understandable.

I'm not sure I have a set opinion on him. Everyone can agree/accept that in the grand scheme of things he's done a good job for Utd since he joined, my fear is that as soon as it starts to go badly (I mean really badly, like if our losing run around Xmas had continued into Feb/March) then the pitchforks will be out for the guy, and he doesnt seem like the type that will be able to handle it well.

Bottom line is, he'll not be here forever. If he is still here in 5 years I'd be surprised. That is not to say he'll get punted, he might just decide to leave or move onto something different. As long as the club continues to slowly progress whilst he is here, I wont be giving too many complaints.

Short term, all I care about is that he does his job over the summer and gets the players into the squad that we need. I think we can all agree that we'd need at least 5 or 6 players to come in that 100% improve on what we have now and almost end up being guaranteed starters next season. Thats a very difficult task but he did it in the 2019 winter window with Harkes, Butcher, Pawlett, Connolly, Reynolds. All became starters for the rest of that season and beyond. Granted he made 11 signings so had a better chance of filling 4 or 5 starting slots, but you get my point.

I think that’s about correct. United could win the league and it would not change some peoples’ opinion on him.

I was rather surprised that he took the role in the first place. It requires, scrutiny and accountability. Why would you subject yourself to that when you can earn a decent crust as an agent? “the secret of good business is to be a good middleman”. I think he honestly believes he can create something.

What he did reveal in the interview is that:

* The last two years have been exhausting

* Dundee is a small place where everyone knows everyone else

* He no longer looks at social media

* His family are having to pay a price for his decision to change career.

One other thing which he did not mention, is that, he is still Glasgow based. That means a 162 mile round trip

I thought that he displayed candour in the interview and more than a little humility. That said, I agree that if things go pear shaped he may well resign.

For someone who has be highly critical of him, I think, he deserves a little respect for what he has achieved thus far.

27/5/2022 8:51 am  #17

Not sure what more the guy can say tbh.  It's beyond me why some people on here hate him so much

27/5/2022 9:30 am  #18

I would put it down to being from west coast with leanings to Rangers earlier in his life....pretty pathetic from us i think....Our greatest ever had similar connections.

27/5/2022 4:23 pm  #19

nomad wrote:

Not sure what more the guy can say tbh. It's beyond me why some people on here hate him so much

Hates too strong a word. It's more a dislike.

And fwiw the feelings mutual from Mr Asghar towards some of our supporters.

I however can at least put my feelings to one side and wish him to succeed for the club. Will he move on and stop having a chip on his shoulder?

27/5/2022 4:24 pm  #20

AlonsMosely wrote:

I would put it down to being from west coast with leanings to Rangers earlier in his life....pretty pathetic from us i think....Our greatest ever had similar connections.

It has nothing to do with that.

For me anyway.

27/5/2022 4:48 pm  #21

AlonsMosely wrote:

Maybe for some, but for the majority that's just bullshit I suspect.  Personally lived in the west coast for years, loved it.  Even went to see Rangers in Europe a few times.  Whilst I think Rangers have a slightly higher than normal level of nut job fan, the vast majority of them are perfectly fine.

Really lazy statement AM (one that the west coast press would love, by the way) and well wide of the mark for me.  I've stated here why I am not a fan on many occasions if anybody is bothered enough to check.  I don't hate him and do accept he has had a level of success (so could I have had with £10M of Ogren's money) I simply wish he wasn't at our club.

27/5/2022 7:00 pm  #22

Tam with a interview.

28/5/2022 3:09 pm  #23

Interesting - somebody at the club must be scanning forums and picking up feedback - kinda seems like they are trying to address all the points fans have made.

He comes across more knowledgeable imo and not as aloof as I thought before. Maybe more personable.

Only just thought - the amount of players we have sold this year 😳😳😳 not all first teasers but still.

Both he and asghar have made a point about the brand of football. So they must know. If we can improve that and sign some key players to support the young lads, we might be ok.

Nice to see he's not scared of bigger names in Europe.

I'm not fully sold on him (or asghar) completely but this is a completely new approach to running an spl club. It's certainly interesting.

Could be worse...could be shree points

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

29/5/2022 3:05 am  #24

SuperMario wrote:

Tam with a interview.

That was a good watch and tbf to Tam he came across a lot better than he normally does in front of the cameras.

Not sure i completely buy into his ethos of 'always be neutral' in interviews and be neither up nor down, in case you offend or upset a player though.

Tam, you're the Dundee United Manager. I'm still coming to terms with it myself tbqh, but you're the man in the hot seat. 

I understand not throwing players 'under the Bus' as you put it. But if the players put in a collective shocker you need to be able to state that (frankly) this coming season. The players and support will both respect you for it. 

Btw, i normally don't like Ally Heather as an interviewer (due to his teuchter, all over the place, weird accent), but he reigned it in a bit here, and actually asked some very good questions.

He also cut off Courts on the one or two occasions he started to ramble a bit (regarding McNulty for example) and gave pretty cutting remarks, which were on point ('You can't really blame Utd supporters for not loving a Striker who never scores').

Correct.

30/5/2022 12:22 am  #25

I don’t really get the hate for Asghar. The guy was instrumental in bringing the Ogrens to the club.  Without his involvement where might we have been,  Not so long ago Mike Martin and Laszlo were the guys in charge of signings. Asghar has brought the likes of Shankland, Watt, Mulgrew, Fuchs, Edwards etc to the club. He also brought Levitt. For years our recruitment has been poor but no one can deny that it has improved under Asghar. People might not like his personality but he doesn’t take any crap. Since Asghar has been here we have got out of the championship, consolidated in the premiership and got 4th and a place in Europe. Do you think this would have happened  with Mike Martin running the show?

Board footera