Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04/7/2022 2:37 pm  #376

Re: Summer Transfer Window

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Tek wrote:

You know what i don't want to hear if we have a poor start? Excuses.

Such as -

Some players need a 'mini pre-season'
Some are playing 'catch-up' fitness wise
Players need time to 'gel'
Adjusting to a new country

Etc etc

Less than 4 weeks till the season starts and we have signed no-one. Whoever comes in the door now hasn't even done their leg work, never mind being thrown into action.

A shambles.

Fitness-wise, I would image the caliber of player we're ambitiously targeting won't be sitting about at home currently. They are all at very good/elite clubs and will doubtless be receiving excellent conditioning work.

I take your point about time to gel, but the type of players we are after are the types who gel very quickly. Quality rises to the surface.

So does shite tbf

04/7/2022 3:27 pm  #377

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Tek wrote:

You know what i don't want to hear if we have a poor start? Excuses.

Such as -

Some players need a 'mini pre-season'
Some are playing 'catch-up' fitness wise
Players need time to 'gel'
Adjusting to a new country

Etc etc

Less than 4 weeks till the season starts and we have signed no-one. Whoever comes in the door now hasn't even done their leg work, never mind being thrown into action.

A shambles.

Fitness-wise, I would image the caliber of player we're ambitiously targeting won't be sitting about at home currently. They are all at very good/elite clubs and will doubtless be receiving excellent conditioning work.

I take your point about time to gel, but the type of players we are after are the types who gel very quickly. Quality rises to the surface.

We can only hope so.

But in the case of guys like Fletcher, he's only just coming back from holiday. 

We need these targets signed and in training asap.

04/7/2022 3:42 pm  #378

No pawlett till October

Get a finger out United, complete and utter shambles, biggest game in about a decade in a months time and currently can’t even field a decent team

04/7/2022 3:58 pm  #379

SuperMario wrote:

No pawlett till October

Get a finger out United, complete and utter shambles, biggest game in about a decade in a months time and currently can’t even field a decent team

That is unbelievable news regards Pawlett.

What an utter waste of wages he's been the past 4 years.

04/7/2022 4:18 pm  #380

Jack Ross must be thinking 'what the hell have I let myself in for here?'.  To have brought in nobody (bar a returning no mark Yank on a pointless one year contract - which doesn't really count) at this stage of events just goes to show either that we don't know what we are doing or that we are skint.

If Levitt was available for £300K (which he just can't be) would we not bite their arm off?  Even if Man U were clearing the decks (and why would they before a World Cup appearance) they wouldn't announce the asking price - what I don't understand (if it were true, which it isn't) is who would?  Tony playing 'mind games' with himself?

04/7/2022 4:21 pm  #381

Tek wrote:

SuperMario wrote:

No pawlett till October

That is unbelievable news regards Pawlett.

What an utter waste of wages he's been the past 4 years.

Pawlett's extended contract was baffling then and is even more baffling now.  We've made some really bad decisions in the last few years.  That said at least he's not fit so we can't be offering him another extension just yet...

04/7/2022 6:24 pm  #382

Finn Seemann wrote:

Jack Ross must be thinking 'what the hell have I let myself in for here?'.  To have brought in nobody (bar a returning no mark Yank on a pointless one year contract - which doesn't really count) at this stage of events just goes to show either that we don't know what we are doing or that we are skint.

If Levitt was available for £300K (which he just can't be) would we not bite their arm off?  Even if Man U were clearing the decks (and why would they before a World Cup appearance) they wouldn't announce the asking price - what I don't understand (if it were true, which it isn't) is who would?  Tony playing 'mind games' with himself?

“no-mark Yank” fucking hell

04/7/2022 9:04 pm  #383

Think people need to relax a bit. No one is liking that its taking a bit longer than we'd hoped to get signings in but its clear the club are working to get things done.

Think some are getting a bit carried away. Not naming any names Finn.

04/7/2022 9:12 pm  #384

Flicking through the last few pages of this thread reminds me off driving the kids down south on their holidays, are we there yet  are we there yet......

04/7/2022 9:33 pm  #385

Random thoughts:
We need quality not quantity every time.
A real statement of intent.
Plenty pool players still there.
Two or three quality signings leaves room to give some of the young guys .... and no so young like Glass/Chalmers a run under a different mentor. If they're no any good to us now they never will be.
Of those listed in RtA's posting 371 seems like Levitt might come to fruition.
Hoping Shanks is more than just a pipedream.
Zander Clark I'd question if he's really that much better than Erikkson and he's going to cost an awfy lot more.
Fletcher we'd sign for a year (please, no more) nand be  iffy.
Connolly give him the flick/waste of space, could free up a bit of cash.
Are we making any progress behind the scenes with Neilson compo ?
Genuine pace wide a must - not forgetting Freeman would have impressed v Hibs.

Buggered if I know,  but I do have a lot of faith in JR who I'd say would have negotiated more managerial freedom and responsibility than TC.

Difficulty being we cannot get away from TA being the conduit for the cash and it seems to me that TA is conservative and likes to wear accountant's hat and play hardball and wait for the end of silly season in the hope of getting the best deals running the risk of no' giving signings a chance to train and gel in with teamates.

Think we know all this already, but very frustrating.

As usual, tick tock.

04/7/2022 10:27 pm  #386

MockChop wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

“no-mark Yank” fucking hell

Aye maybe a bit harsh. My frustration not really with Harkes to be fair. He does try hard but he’s not great. Why the club made him player of the year I’ll never know. Seems to have made him think he’s better than he is.  

just frustrated with the usual failings. 

04/7/2022 11:15 pm  #387

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Can confirm that Gogic is a United player.

Massive signing and a real statement of intent. Hibs fans I know are distraught to see him leave.

Welcome to Tanny, Alex.

Eight days later.......

04/7/2022 11:24 pm  #388

Tek wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Massive signing and a real statement of intent. Hibs fans I know are distraught to see him leave.

Welcome to Tanny, Alex.

Eight days later.......

I really hoped that comment wouldn't reappear. I jumped the gun and made a fool of myself. Won't happen again, and I apologise to every member of the board for posting false information (in good faith).

04/7/2022 11:35 pm  #389

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Tek wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Welcome to Tanny, Alex.

Eight days later.......

I really hoped that comment wouldn't reappear. I jumped the gun and made a fool of myself. Won't happen again, and I apologise to every member of the board for posting false information (in good faith).

Don't worry about it AU.

A good few got taken in by that rumour. Even North Tonight had a segment in their sports section alluding to him signing.

Fwiw i think he would have been a decent signing.

05/7/2022 12:14 am  #390

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Tek wrote:

AlwaysUnited wrote:

Welcome to Tanny, Alex.

Eight days later.......

Just like the exciting transfers you promised were imminent in January 🙄🤔

05/7/2022 9:32 am  #391

Just over 3 weeks until our first league game followed quickly by probably our four (hopefully) most important games for years.  We've waved goodbye to 16 players (9 with first team games under the belt last season) and a head coach.  We've said hello to a head coach, but no players.  I appreciate that changing the coach is disruptive, but it is pretty clear the club played a very big part in that (again) and we don't appear to have otherwise been able to hit the ground running on the recruitment front.  It's now over 2 weeks since Ross was appointed and to have failed to bring in any players is extremely disappointing.  Of course, TA may pull off some decent business between now and the window closing, but the chances of those players (and there really does need to be at least 5 or 6 new first XI ready faces) being settled, gelled, match fit and ready to take on Kilmarnock, let alone whoever we get in Europe, are now pretty slim indeed.  Summer after summer we seem to make the same mistakes.  Every other club in the league has done business early - are they all wrong?  Are we just skint?  I guess if we don't sign people until August we don't need to pay them in July....  How about some honesty for the fans?

Last edited by Finn Seemann (05/7/2022 9:38 am)

05/7/2022 9:47 am  #392

As someone who I admit has doubts about the clubs over contrived attempts at PR and announcements I have the suspicion that we will unveil multiple signings at once (hope more than expectation) and possibly this will coincide with the unveiling of a new home kit at the same time.

It is the sort of overly thought out process we would do trying to build the suspense when all the fans are just getting more frustrated at the lack of planning and execution visible.

I hope I am right as we cannot keep waiting until August to bring players in.

05/7/2022 9:55 am  #393

Finn Seemann wrote:

Just over 3 weeks until our first league game followed quickly by probably our four (hopefully) most important games for years.  We've waved goodbye to 16 players (9 with first team games under the belt last season) and a head coach.  We've said hello to a head coach, but no players.  I appreciate that changing the coach is disruptive, but it is pretty clear the club played a very big part in that (again) and we don't appear to have otherwise been able to hit the ground running on the recruitment front.  It's now over 2 weeks since Ross was appointed and to have failed to bring in any players is extremely disappointing.  Of course, TA may pull off some decent business between now and the window closing, but the chances of those players (and there really does need to be at least 5 or 6 new first XI ready faces) being settled, gelled, match fit and ready to take on Kilmarnock, let alone whoever we get in Europe, are now pretty slim indeed.  Summer after summer we seem to make the same mistakes.  Every other club in the league has done business early - are they all wrong?  Are we just skint?  I guess if we don't sign people until August we don't need to pay them in July....  How about some honesty for the fans?

Also factor in the situation where any player who needs a work permit will almost certainly miss the start of the season and the 1st European ties now (no big deal just two of our biggest games in a decade).

05/7/2022 10:01 am  #394

Lancashire-Arab wrote:

As someone who I admit has doubts about the clubs over contrived attempts at PR and announcements I have the suspicion that we will unveil multiple signings at once (hope more than expectation) and possibly this will coincide with the unveiling of a new home kit at the same time.

It is the sort of overly thought out process we would do trying to build the suspense when all the fans are just getting more frustrated at the lack of planning and execution visible.

I hope I am right as we cannot keep waiting until August to bring players in.

It is the kind of stupid stunt that we would attempt to boost certain egos but runs totally against the interests of the product on the park.  I think it is wishful thinking though.

05/7/2022 10:04 am  #395

Tek wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Also factor in the situation where any player who needs a work permit will almost certainly miss the start of the season and the 1st European ties now (no big deal just two of our biggest games in a decade).

Never thought of that - surely they will have factored that in (if of course there is actually a genuine attempt to improve the threadbare squad - I have a horrible feeling we are just going with what we have and the kids plus maybe a couple of new older guys).  It's all very depressing.

05/7/2022 10:12 am  #396

Finn Seemann wrote:

Tek wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Never thought of that - surely they will have factored that in (if of course there is actually a genuine attempt to improve the threadbare squad - I have a horrible feeling we are just going with what we have and the kids plus maybe a couple of new older guys).  It's all very depressing.

And you genuinely think Jack Ross would have taken the job on that basis? People need to relax

05/7/2022 10:20 am  #397

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Tek wrote:

And you genuinely think Jack Ross would have taken the job on that basis? People need to relax

I hear you.  I thought the same.  Actions speak louder than words though.  Do you not get that we are running out of time to relax?  We have the potential of 4 games that could take us a long way to bringing back sufficient income to make Ogren happy and have some left over for improving the squad long term and our preparation for that seems, at best, amateur.  We've got a 'new' badge though.

05/7/2022 10:25 am  #398

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

I hear you.  I thought the same.  Actions speak louder than words though.  Do you not get that we are running out of time to relax?  We have the potential of 4 games that could take us a long way to bringing back sufficient income to make Ogren happy and have some left over for improving the squad long term and our preparation for that seems, at best, amateur.  We've got a 'new' badge though.

I understand your concerns but I have no doubt at all that the club are trying to bring in players. I am not concerned at all about how many players other clubs have signed, most of whom I've never heard of. I also don't think for one minute that we will be going with what we have. I'm not in the know and have absolutely no connections to anyone at the club I'm simply applying a bit of reason and getting on with life until news breaks. Of course I'm human, and like everyone else I'd rather see these faces in as soon as possible, but if it means we get the quality we need I'm prepared to be patient.

05/7/2022 10:54 am  #399

Arabdownsouth wrote:

Finn Seemann wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

I understand your concerns but I have no doubt at all that the club are trying to bring in players. I am not concerned at all about how many players other clubs have signed, most of whom I've never heard of. I also don't think for one minute that we will be going with what we have. I'm not in the know and have absolutely no connections to anyone at the club I'm simply applying a bit of reason and getting on with life until news breaks. Of course I'm human, and like everyone else I'd rather see these faces in as soon as possible, but if it means we get the quality we need I'm prepared to be patient.

I also have no doubt that we are trying to bring players in - the lack of success does however concern me given we have half a team to recruit, and therefore the whole team to settle and gel.  I do fear my idea of how many new faces are needed are different to the club.  I think it is 5/6 first team squad ready minimum, a couple of younger players pushing in areas we are light on (upfront) and at least a couple of new Academy players making an appearance.  That is what is needed to replace the 16 players out.  I never thought once last year that we had that much fat in the squad so we are now, at the moment, incredibly light.  I also am not that bothered about who other teams have brought in, but it is clear that Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have strengthened and they will be our main competitors for European places as usual.  They have strengthened early - we are miles behind them.  The key is being ready to hit the ground running - the focus has to be Europe - the reality is that we are not going to be ready.

05/7/2022 11:16 am  #400

I'm going to go full AU....

But what an exciting 3 weeks you are in for.

New strips, more new signings than any other team will make in the same time period...

It's going to be brilliant 🤣

I'm not one that panics as quickly as others but we need to start to see players coming in.

We've got 1 keeper who is untested (although was rated in Sweden.

The defence is pretty much unchanged.

The midfield has....ilmari harkes 😳😳😳

And up top clark and watt 😳

Last edited by Tangy (05/7/2022 11:39 am)

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Board footera