Tekel Towers - DUFC Fans Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30/4/2022 10:01 pm  #26

Re: Utd v 'Well - Saturday 30th April

Yup, skin of our teeth that stuff.
Pretty much all the aforementioned, although I cannae see criticism of Neilson.
Ross Graham I love the way he disnae stuff around, when it needs to be got rid of, he gets rid. Lacks a bit of pace however.
Great to see 3 young anes.
Liam made a complete c... of it for their first against post.
Mulgrew in the middle, not his position.
Tony Watt does what he does, runs direct & skilful, holds the ball up, draws fouls. Must be a really annoying guy to play against.  We forget what an asset to the team he is. But one goal in twelve what thats about ?     .... It's about Tam's stubborn feeling that we need the width, or maybe feels he's better with free rein.   I don't know but 1 in 12 speaks for itself.
Maybe McNulty being out will force a rethink. Hate to say this but best thing for the team if that's the last we see of him.
MOTM Levitt.       No just general play but he's loving his football, always a joy to see for a young laddie. He'll go far.
Benji, amazing stop near the end there, distribution shocking.
Final day at Dingwall beckons, Christ we make life hard for ourselves.

01/5/2022 12:41 am  #27

A huge win today but didn't make it easy for ourselves. First half, the goal aside I thought we were poor. We were slow and pedestrian on the ball. Knock the ball around the middle of the park a bit then it would end up back at Edwards to start again, little or no movement in the final third didn't help matters.  Also not helped by us starting with 6 defensive players in the team at home. We could have been 3 down before we scored after 3 errors let them through on goal.

Second half I thought we looked more comfortable and had a bit more directness in our play that made all the difference. Players started to tire though, Smith in particular was breathing out his arse the last 15mins, not sure why Tam didn't take him off. Thought his subs aside from the enforced one with Clark on for McNulty were bizarre. Not sure what boys like Cudjoe have to do to get a game.

Motherwell are a shadow of the team they were before they sold Watt to us. Incredible that they've had 1 win since the new year and are still in with a shout of europe. Just shows you how poor the league is this year.

Dingwall in a fortnight is going to be a massive game for us.

Last edited by Rick Dagless (01/5/2022 12:43 am)

01/5/2022 8:44 am  #28

I’ve been really wanting Meekison to get a start but I thought he was poor today on the whole.  Needs a run of games though as I’ve no doubt he’s a player.

McMann back looking like he did in his first 10 or so games.

Get Neilson on a new contract asap.

Said it before but I honestly think we’ve got the makings of a decent team.  We’ve plenty of players who are comfortable in possession, can keep the ball and pass it around. Just need to be more positive and need a big forward.

01/5/2022 2:18 pm  #29

Lets be honest, we would’ve ah bitten wer hands aff for that result. But a lot oe the gehm was like watchin paint dry.
In the 1st half we made a number oe defensive errors that gave Well opportunities. Thankfully nane oe them came to anything.

There was an excellent bit oe play fae us around the Well box aboot the 11 min mark, whar we strung aboot 20 passes the gither, but we did nothing we it, and the Well got the ba aff us, and went on 1 oe their breaks. That seemed to be their limited forte oe the day.

The goal came fae a similar build-up on the right oe the Well box. Aboot 12 passes and Levitt was in we it. Think it come aff  their defender on the leg and it lifted the ba our the keeper.

Agree we dyed_in_the_wool and LAO..Thought Neilson struggled the 1st half and had a few close shaves nearly losing the ba in dangerous positions, but he wisna the only ane.

We played some brah stuff in the 2nd half, but we just sem to lack creativty. Was seek at the number oe free haeders the Well seemed to get in front oe oor goal.

Hard to believe we’re in 4th and as CCX says, phuck knows how Tams managed it.

MOTM for me Tony Watt.

01/5/2022 2:25 pm  #30

Funny how we all see a different game at times.

Thought Tony Watt was poor again. Seems happy to just have possession miles away from goal and more often than not turns round and plays it back the way.

The one time in the match he actually got his head down and drove into the box, taking Mugabe on, he got a shot off that they needed a last ditch block to prevent it going on target.

Courts should be demanding much more of that from him. 

Agree with Slateford. Thought Meekison was poor tbh. Though deserves a wee run to prove himself.

Motm for me was Levitt.

01/5/2022 3:21 pm  #31

Didn't see the game but now 4 points above well with a 9 goal better goal difference. So in order to beat us to a European slot, they would effectively need to get 5 more points than us against hearts county and celtic.

Far from over but I'd rather be in our position than theres

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

01/5/2022 3:32 pm  #32

Tek wrote:

Funny how we all see a different game at times.

Thought Tony Watt was poor again. Seems happy to just have possession miles away from goal and more often than not turns round and plays it back the way.

The one time in the match he actually got his head down and drove into the box, taking Mugabe on, he got a shot off that they needed a last ditch block to prevent it going on target.

Courts should be demanding much more of that from him. 

Agree with Slateford. Thought Meekison was poor tbh. Though deserves a wee run to prove himself.

Motm for me was Levitt.

I Think they need to decide who has the most potential between him and Mochrie and stick with it put the other one out on loan, how is any of the 2 of them got a chance if their in for 1 game and then out for a couple of months

01/5/2022 6:19 pm  #33

The other thing that needs remembered about Meekison is that he's playing out of position.

I watched quite a lot of his highlights when he was at Spartans and he was very much strictly a right sided winger who liked to get forward.

Centre mid is a new position for him to adapt too.

01/5/2022 7:36 pm  #34

Tek wrote:

The other thing that needs remembered about Meekison is that he's playing out of position.

I watched quite a lot of his highlights when he was at Spartans and he was very much strictly a right sided winger who liked to get forward.

Centre mid is a new position for him to adapt too.

anytime ive seen him for the B team he's been in the middle. When young boys, especially if they are slight, go out on loan they put them wide to avoid pyisical  confrontation and to get them on the ball, Mochrie played wide for Montrose for example.

Meekison dosnt have the pace of Mochrie IMO so playing wide isnt an option and i cant really see him playing 10 as you have to be good with your back to goal. i see him as a ball playing midfielder but needs to have more of a physical presence.

So basically its him or Glass ?? i like glass but he's not got a clue defensively so my money would be on Meekison

02/5/2022 12:59 am  #35

Mochrie passes the ball far to slowly, noticed mulgrew having a go at him last week for it, very good ball carrier though, honestly think we are missing pawlett loads only player who gets on the ball and drive with it, one of the players I don’t think a lot of fans appreciate tbh

02/5/2022 2:04 am  #36

dufc2019 wrote:

So basically its him or Glass ?? i like glass but he's not got a clue defensively so my money would be on Meekison

Does Meekison?

He nearly cost us twice on Saturday with lack of positional/defensive awareness.

All these boys (Glass, Meekison, Chalmers, Mochrie) are good players with ability.

But none at the moment are ready to play week in week out for Utd and be the complete midfielder that we need if we want to continue being a Top 6 side, get to Cup Semi/Finals, play in Europe beyond the school Summer holidays.

We need genuine, proven, experienced quality signings in the Summer window. And a few of them.

These lads will need to be happy with a place in either our matchday squad or a loan away till January.

And if they get the chance from now till season's end, they need to show a good bit more towards showing that they are in anyway really deserving of a starting jersey looking towards next season (aimed at all young players tbh).

02/5/2022 8:09 am  #37

Tek wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Does Meekison?

He nearly cost us twice on Saturday with lack of positional/defensive awareness.

All these boys (Glass, Meekison, Chalmers, Mochrie) are good players with ability.

But none at the moment are ready to play week in week out for Utd and be the complete midfielder that we need if we want to continue being a Top 6 side, get to Cup Semi/Finals, play in Europe beyond the school Summer holidays.

We need genuine, proven, experienced quality signings in the Summer window. And a few of them.

These lads will need to be happy with a place in either our matchday squad or a loan away till January.

And if they get the chance from now till season's end, they need to show a good bit more towards showing that they are in anyway really deserving of a starting jersey looking towards next season (aimed at all young players tbh).

Neither are Clarke, Harkes, Mcnulty, Butcher, Smith, Inni  

02/5/2022 8:18 am  #38

dufc2019 wrote:

Tek wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Does Meekison?

But yet here we are in the top six with a strong chance of qualifying for Europe 🤔

02/5/2022 9:08 am  #39

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Tek wrote:

Does Meekison?

But yet here we are in the top six with a strong chance of qualifying for Europe 🤔

take out old firm and Hearts this is the worst Premiership in history, we cant count on Hibs and Aberdeen and more being this bad again.

We have also got there playing the most dull defensive football every, no point finishing 4th if we have no fans to watch.

Last edited by dufc2019 (02/5/2022 9:10 am)

02/5/2022 9:24 am  #40

dufc2019 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

take out old firm and Hearts this is the worst Premiership in history, we cant count on Hibs and Aberdeen and more being this bad again.

We have also got there playing the most dull defensive football every, no point finishing 4th if we have no fans to watch.

I don't know about you but for me, this season beats the hell out of playing Greenock Morton and Alloa 4 times a season.

02/5/2022 9:54 am  #41

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

I don't know about you but for me, this season beats the hell out of playing Greenock Morton and Alloa 4 times a season.

thats a very low bar you have lol

02/5/2022 9:58 am  #42

dufc2019 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

I'm simply saying that things are not as bad as people make out. Our success does not have to be because of everyone else's failure. If we lose we are shite, if we win everyone else is shite. That's a pretty grim way of seeing things in my opinion.

02/5/2022 10:09 am  #43

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

I'm simply saying that things are not as bad as people make out. Our success does not have to be because of everyone else's failure. If we lose we are shite, if we win everyone else is shite. That's a pretty grim way of seeing things in my opinion.

👍 well said.   It depends how you like to look at life.  Things could be better but they also could be a hell of a lot worse.

02/5/2022 10:15 am  #44

Stillliving wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

👍 well said. It depends how you like to look at life. Things could be better but they also could be a hell of a lot worse.

true, dont think asking a team to have shots on goal should be asking too much either

03/5/2022 8:53 am  #45

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

I get what you are saying, but things don't need to be in black and white. Yes we are 4th and it's fantastic, but it feels like we are there through luck rather than anything else.

Whoever finishes 4th are likely going to be there with the lowest ever points tally since the league switched to 3 points for a win(no team finishing 4th has had less than 50 points) Again showing how bad the teams are outwith the top 3 this season.

03/5/2022 10:45 am  #46

Rick Dagless wrote:

Arabdownsouth wrote:

dufc2019 wrote:

I get what you are saying, but things don't need to be in black and white. Yes we are 4th and it's fantastic, but it feels like we are there through luck rather than anything else.

Whoever finishes 4th are likely going to be there with the lowest ever points tally since the league switched to 3 points for a win(no team finishing 4th has had less than 50 points) Again showing how bad the teams are outwith the top 3 this season.

Or showing how fiercely competitive the league has been

03/5/2022 1:35 pm  #47

one of my biggest frustrations this season has been our subs. 

Saturday was a perfect example of this we seem to take a player off and just replace them with a player who was deemed not quite good enough to start in that position. 

We never seem to make a substitution and change the shape of the team to offer a different point of attack or strengthen a key position.

Our sub seem to be take of a left wing back and put someone on at left wing back and if they are perhaps better than the person we took of it may change the game.

For me it shows the manager has no faith in his squad or that he believes the tactics and structure are correct just the players are not executing the properly.

In terms of the comments about the league being poor its not the managers fault he can only play the opposition out there what i think we have seen is clubs that cant afford to be relegated so have put not losing games ahead of going out to win them - could be a post pandemic symptom that will change.

Other teams will look to improve next season so we must also look to improve and seems they are already doing that through recruitment - lets hope they come off

03/5/2022 11:50 pm  #48

Lancashire-Arab wrote:

For me it shows the manager has no faith in his squad or that he believes the tactics and structure are correct just the players are not executing the properly.

For me it shows he's no awfy clear what he wants in the first place.

Board footera